12-09-13 04:02 PM
51 123
tools
    Didn't see this posted yet.

Feel free to argue amongst yourselves.

BlackBerry says making headway with corporate, government clients | Reuters

The company, in a statement on Tuesday, said the number of enterprise clients that have now installed or are testing its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offering has risen to 30,000 from roughly 25,000 this summer.
    12-03-13 02:44 PM
    Didn't see this posted yet.

Feel free to argue amongst yourselves.

BlackBerry says making headway with corporate, government clients | Reuters
    EAUN took BlackBerry's open letter and turned it into an article.... but at least it sounds positive.
    12-03-13 02:54 PM
    6 more months and only 5000 additional installs or testing? When they had 25000 after only being released for like 6 months? (I'm guesstimating when the "summer" was... It could be 4 and 8 months.)

I'm not going to try to make out whether 30000 installs/testing is good or bad; but, this definitely shows BES 10 adoption is slowing rather than making headway. I don't know why Blackberry would bother publishing such bad figures and trying to spin it.
    12-03-13 02:54 PM
    The company, in a statement on Tuesday, said the number of enterprise clients that have now installed or are testing its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offering has risen to 30,000 from roughly 25,000 this summer.
    Of course Blackberry continues to lump the "testing" numbers with the "installed" numbers.

The number of installed must be low since there was an increase overall, but after all this time they still won't give installed number.

EDIT: and yes, an increase of 5,000 overall after 6 months is nothing to brag about - especially considering that number includes those who've only tested.
    JeepBB, chr1sny and techvisor like this.
    12-03-13 02:56 PM
    Of course Blackberry continues to lump the "testing" numbers with the "installed" numbers.

The number of installed must be low since there was an increase overall, but after all this time they still won't give installed number.

EDIT: and yes, an increase of 5,000 overall after 6 months is nothing to brag about - especially considering that number includes those who've only tested.
    ^^^^ this.

If Chen is to be believed, this is the niche that BB is going to build their recovery on. And, after many months, they are still lumping test installations into the numbers as well as being vague as to the number of paying customers. I'm sure this news will be spun positively, but it's hard for me to see it as evidence of being a firm foundation for BB growth.
    chr1sny and anon1727506 like this.
    12-03-13 03:12 PM
    Ring a ding a ling a ling. Time to chalk up another sale on the big board, boys.

"Sell like Hell" Sir T. Heinze
    12-03-13 03:24 PM
    Can anyone provide numbers of installs that competitors have to their names? Its hard to evaluate this data without some perspective on the competition.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-03-13 03:44 PM
    Can anyone provide numbers of installs that competitors have to their names? Its hard to evaluate this data without some perspective on the competition.
    87% of the Fortune 500 relies on BES. With over 30,000 BES10 commercial and test servers installed to date around the world, our multi-platform user base counts more customers than MobileIron, Good, and AirWatch put together, and includes the world?s top ten banking and automotive firms.

http://el.blackberry.com/bes10facts

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    h20work, spike12, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    12-03-13 03:50 PM
    I tried Googling "MDM market share", and didn't get much. A number of shameless advertising puffs from each of the MDM vendors, but no independent figures that I could find.

Several of the pieces I did find spoke of how the MDM market is expected to see massive growth in future... so Chen may be onto something there.

Anyone have some hard numbers?

Preferably numbers for commercial installations rather than test/evaluation installations...
    12-03-13 04:07 PM
    ^^^^ this.

If Chen is to be believed, this is the niche that BB is going to build their recovery on. And, after many months, they are still lumping test installations into the numbers as well as being vague as to the number of paying customers. I'm sure this news will be spun positively, but it's hard for me to see it as evidence of being a firm foundation for BB growth.
    I'd be interested in seeing a conversion rate from test install to actual deployment. Would be a good metric to see if the testers are liking what they are seeing.

On the plus side, the number they reported grew instead of declined.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-13 04:14 PM
    I'd be interested in seeing a conversion rate from test install to actual deployment. Would be a good metric to see if the testers are liking what they are seeing.

On the plus side, the number they reported grew instead of declined.
    All true my friend but, as with all things BlackBerry, their lack of erm... "clarity" on the number of paying MDM customers does nothing for their credibility. It would be the easiest thing in the world for BB to provide figures on how many non-test installations there are, and how many devices are being managed... and suspicions will remain that this is a shell-game until they provide that clarity.

After all, this is the company who told us that BB10 sales were "exceeding our expectations"
    12-03-13 04:24 PM
    Look another way, how many devices can be attached to one BES10 server?

Is it a case that 1 server can handle 10k phones? All of a sudden, if you include licensing, that's a lot of dosh coming in for a small amount of server installs.

So, good news.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:26 PM

Is it a case that 1 server can handle 10k phones? All of a sudden, if you include licensing, that's a lot of dosh coming in for a small amount of server installs.

So, good news.
    Possibly. It depends what proportion of that 30k of installations represents paying customers. AFAIK, test installations are free and earn BB nothing.
    12-03-13 04:29 PM
    All true my friend but, as with all things BlackBerry, their lack of erm... "clarity" on the number of paying MDM customers does nothing for their credibility. It would be the easiest thing in the world for BB to provide figures on how many non-test installations there are, and how many devices are being managed... and suspicions will remain that this is a shell-game until they provide that clarity.

After all, this is the company who told us that BB10 sales were "exceeding our expectations"
    I learned a long time ago "clarity" is not in the BlackBerry dictionary or their business playbook (swidt?)

I think Chen has a shot for them to gain some credibility since he's not part of the old guard. Personally, I think the earnings report on the 20th will tell us a lot about him.
    12-03-13 04:34 PM
    Good news...hopefully they are testing or installing to deploy.. and not just to do a time pass like many negative spinners on CB are hoping for

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:35 PM
    I learned a long time ago "clarity" is not in the BlackBerry dictionary or their business playbook (swidt?)

I think Chen has a shot for them to gain some credibility since he's not part of the old guard. Personally, I think the earnings report on the 20th will tell us a lot about him.
    Great Insight dude...a earning report month after his joining a turnaround company will tell a lot about him...lol

Posted via CB10
    Daniel Montanaro likes this.
    12-03-13 04:37 PM
    Large corporate/government organization adoption takes time and careful testing to meet business and security needs. Don't forget there are procurement cycles. But of course you and others in here knew that...

6 more months and only 5000 additional installs or testing? When they had 25000 after only being released for like 6 months? (I'm guesstimating when the "summer" was... It could be 4 and 8 months.)

I'm not going to try to make out whether 30000 installs/testing is good or bad; but, this definitely shows BES 10 adoption is slowing rather than making headway. I don't know why Blackberry would bother publishing such bad figures and trying to spin it.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:39 PM
    Umm guys. I'm sure chen knows that BlackBerry could use more positive news so if the numbers are not spectacular for installs versus test installs right now then there is no reason to say it. The fact is the number of those testing and/or installing has risen. That is good so we'll stick with that for now ok? Not the greatest of news but it can help turn the tide for the company. So let's leave it at that. Not everything has to be picked apart. I'm glad to see Chen's letter reaching out to other news agencies. When those test installs become actual installs or there is a better number to produce it will come out. That's just the game that needs to be played right now. Actually just this news alone could change that number to a growth in full deployments and we may see some better numbers come out in the future. Patience for now.
    h20work, eldricho and Doolittle2 like this.
    12-03-13 04:45 PM
    Great Insight dude...a earning report month after his joining a turnaround company will tell a lot about him...lol

Posted via CB10
    It will show his character on how he reports the news. The earnings report had zero to do with Chen, everyone knows that.

Will he show strength or cancel the call and just use a press release?
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    12-03-13 04:52 PM
    It will show his character on how he reports the news. The earnings report had zero to do with Chen, everyone knows that.

Will he show strength or cancel the call and just use a press release?
    Didn't they already confirm that it will happen on 20th...not sure what character determination you are going to do based on it.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:19 PM
    Didn't they already confirm that it will happen on 20th...not sure what character determination you are going to do based on it.

Posted via CB10
    I seriously hope you are just joking around.

The numbers will be bad, everyone (except missing_K-W) knows this, bbry even provided guidance 2 quarters ago expecting a loss.

I'm guessing you never listened in on Thor's earning calls or read the transcripts. It's not about the numbers, Chen had no impact on them, it's about being a strong leader. You may want to read the transcripts from the earlier calls,it might help you understand more happens than just saying "we sold X number of devices"
    mikeo007, JeepBB, eldricho and 3 others like this.
    12-03-13 05:29 PM
    I seriously hope you are just joking around.

The numbers will be bad, everyone (except missing_K-W) knows this, bbry even provided guidance 2 quarters ago expecting a loss.

I'm guessing you never listened in on Thor's earning calls or read the transcripts. It's not about the numbers, Chen had no impact on them, it's about being a strong leader. You may want to read the transcripts from the earlier calls,it might help you understand more happens than just saying "we sold X number of devices"
    I have followed Heins all his calls and comments...surely he made lot of immature comments, mistakes ..etc...I was just responding to your comment that you will know a lot about Chen in the call...I don't think you will know much...in one month on the job...if you really want to know more about him you should study sybase.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 06:06 PM
    I have followed Heins all his calls and comments...surely he made lot of immature comments, mistakes ..etc...I was just responding to your comment that you will know a lot about Chen in the call...I don't think you will know much...in one month on the job...if you really want to know more about him you should study sybase.

Posted via CB10
    I already researched Chen's background, and I said I was glad they finally brought in an outsider. Especially one with a track record.

You have missed my point twice, no point in further explanation on my part...
    Doolittle2 likes this.
    12-03-13 06:22 PM

So, good news.

Posted via CB10
    I could be wrong, but from what I understand is that the old BES Servers could each hold up to 2000 devices, and the 10.2 BES servers can each hold up to 100,000 devices. I'm not saying that any of those 30,000 servers are at capacity, just what that capacity is.
    12-04-13 04:52 AM
    I tried Googling "MDM market share", and didn't get much. A number of shameless advertising puffs from each of the MDM vendors, but no independent figures that I could find.

Several of the pieces I did find spoke of how the MDM market is expected to see massive growth in future... so Chen may be onto something there.

Anyone have some hard numbers?

Preferably numbers for commercial installations rather than test/evaluation installations...
    Not sure about Good, but I remember reading a few weeks ago that Airwatch has a total of 8,000 servers.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 04:54 AM
51 123