01-04-14 11:06 AM
46 12
tools
    I am sad she is going because to me she was NOT the problem. The problem is BlackBerry management that hired her in the first place. I think it would have been the same no matter who they hired. Its more of BlackBerry failing to use what ever the have.
    That's my thought as well. I like Alicia Keys and I don't blame her for accepting the job. The fault is with BBRY for hiring her and failing to find an effective way to utilize her to promote the BB10 platform.
    01-03-14 07:01 AM
    I think she got more out of the deal than BlackBerry ever did. I doubt she came cheap either.

I definitely got behind the spirit of what the scholarship was trying to achieve. I think it was really cool that BlackBerry recognised the need for womens' role in technology to be recognised and supported. I hope it continues actually.

I just don't think Keys herself was all that relevant to BlackBerry or the scholarship.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    And this is the problem, how do you have an "entertainer" promote and encourage young women to enter the technology sector? If it was to be done properly you need successful women in the science and technology sector promoting the sector as a career choice.

What was Keys pitch, 'you can't be like me so go into technology'
    01-03-14 08:08 AM
    Just as a friendly reminder: Could have had Justin Bieber.
    01-03-14 08:08 AM
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted via CB10
    Caymancroc likes this.
    01-03-14 08:12 AM
    For $ 200K and 20 BBs, which he would have distributed to his network of friends and contacts, thereby expanding BB awareness in the publicity-heavy entertainment industry. It's really quite amazing when you think about the number of opportunities BB has squandered over the years.
    01-03-14 08:44 AM
    And this is the problem, how do you have an "entertainer" promote and encourage young women to enter the technology sector? If it was to be done properly you need successful women in the science and technology sector promoting the sector as a career choice.

Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:46 AM
    Instead of worrying about collaboration with famous celebrities, why not start rebuilding your relationship with your customers?
    Rather than establishing a solid retail presence management maintained Keys, took delivery on a $25 million luxury jet, and negotiated massive multi-million exit clauses. That's the perfect trifecta right there.
    01-03-14 09:16 AM

Well, at least it rhymes.
    01-03-14 09:19 AM
    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/admissions/...mousWomen.html

There are far better candidates for the scholarship.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:27 AM
    who is she anyways?
    01-03-14 11:18 AM
    I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my VZW Z10 Rockin' 10.2.1.1055
    01-03-14 12:15 PM

Lots of companies use celebrities to promote stuff they know absolutely nothing about. It's just to get the attention of a market segment that might otherwise be ignored.

My first reaction to this news was, good -- more dead weight thrown overboard. But then looking at a few other opinions on the matter, she's just another in a very long list of missteps and out-and-out blunders this company has made in marketing to consumers. Just as they incorrectly assumed the public was waiting with bated breath for and would scoff up whatever they pushed out the door, they also assumed simply naming a person who is popular with younger consumers as a spokesperson would automatically attract them to the brand, without that spokesperson actually doing or saying anything. Just horribly pathetic and abysmal execution of marketing and promotion in just about every way imaginable. Alicia Keys was just one tiny piece of that whole dysfunctional puzzle.
    01-03-14 01:15 PM
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-03-14 01:16 PM
    I'm confused men and women. Why do you all feel this sense that BB NEEDS a celebrity endorser? You get JB and all the little fans will run away from BB one they find out Instagram and Snapchat aren't available. Yes I know you can side load them, but anyone outside the diehard circle doesn't want to be bothered with that. They want to go into BB world, search for it, download it and never think about it again. Look, I have been in advertising and marketing for over 30 years. I've worked for 3 major television networks in that time. Celebrity endorsers are fine, but they aren't meant to sell the product. They get word out, but in the end, your product has to sell itself. It's been one hell of a crappy year for BB. Like all things, it will take time, but it also takes one idea. That's coming for BBRY. but JB or Alicia Keys isn't why they had a horrid year. BB is the reason. They will comeback someday. Anyone who follows what's in trend can tell you that. We live in a society that likes to see people fail. People will believe the first bad thing they hear about you, but never the first good thing they hear about you. Again, products should speak for themselves, not Alicia Keys or Biebs. Just be patient, and watch the magic happen, good or bad.
    01-03-14 05:20 PM
    Some brands use kind of "ambassadors" - celebrities wearing or using their products and those brands use it in advertising and PR. Same kind as sponsorship in sports.
    I don't see anything wrong to hire Alicia Keys as BlackBerry ambassador, but calling her position as "creative director" is crazy.

Anyway, BlackBerry should do it - smart way and have in contract that the ambassador will not use any competitive platform.

Posted using BlackBerry Q10
    01-03-14 05:38 PM
    What a stupid idea this was to begin with - especially when she was still using her iPhone.

What did she actually do? I saw a few dumb videos she did on the Blackberry website I think, and it had nothing to do with Blackberry - was mainly promoting herself. That and the initial announcement is all I saw of her.

Just more of Blackberry trying anything and everything, hoping that something sticks.
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:15 PM
    For $ 200K and 20 BBs, which he would have distributed to his network of friends and contacts, thereby expanding BB awareness in the publicity-heavy entertainment industry. It's really quite amazing when you think about the number of opportunities BB has squandered over the years.
    Two years ago most definitely

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:20 PM
    Listen to r&b much?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:22 PM
    Can u blame her for still using her iPhone. BlackBerry 10 had very little to offer in its early stages. She used a lot of apps. She would have been handicap using her z10 as her main driver. Not like she has the time to figure out how to side load.

But I agree.. she did very little for the company

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 04:16 AM
    But I agree.. she did very little for the company
    That appears to be a common misconception. It's for that reason she is likely anxious for this arrangement to conclude.
    01-04-14 07:51 AM
    I would have to agree that She was misused by BB marketing. The tie up with Mercedes and the driver from formula one is much more effective as people see BB on the cars etc. Parting ways with Ms. Keys was a good business decision that almost anyone would have made. I also think that it may be a "clearing of the decks" to begin anew with proper and more traditional marketing by Mr. Chen.
    01-04-14 11:06 AM
46 12