01-04-14 12:06 PM
46 12
tools
    CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts :
    Singer Alicia Keys will no longer be #BlackBerry global creative director as of Jan. 30, according to company.

BlackBerry says 'collaboration' with Alicia Keys will end this month - Business News - Castanet.net :
    BlackBerry is parting ways with singer Alicia Keys, after a year-long collaboration with the smartphone maker.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company says Keys will be leaving her role as its global creative director on Jan. 30.

Her involvement with the company drew criticism from some outsiders who said, despite the decidedly corporate title, Keys was little more than a celebrity who was brought in to help promote its BlackBerry 10 smartphones.

BlackBerry has insisted that Keys had a more direct involvement in its operations, highlighting her work on a four-year scholarship program that encouraged young women to enter specific science and technology fields.

The company brought Keys onto the team last January at the splashy New York launch of its BlackBerry 10 smartphone line, which was supposed to mark a new beginning for the well-known brand.

She appeared at numerous corporate events throughout the year and in some promotional material.

"We have enjoyed the opportunity to work with such an incredibly talented and passionate individual," the company said in an emailed statement.

BlackBerry shares rose 19 cents to $8.09 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

The Canadian Press
    01-02-14 01:43 PM
    I will pay $100K for a photograph of Alicia Keys leaving the Blackberry offices on Jan 30 carrying a cardboard box. This is no joke. I'm dead serious.
    sklotz2000 and epark88 like this.
    01-02-14 01:48 PM
    01-02-14 02:29 PM
    She has great music, but was never really used in her position much. As 'Creative Global Director', she should've been used in all consumer ads. The booths at her concerts on her tour were a great start. She was not utilized to the fullest, so it became a waste of money actually and now I'm kinda glad that she is parting ways. Saves the company another round of money

Posted via CB10
    CMTMcG and togarika like this.
    01-02-14 03:54 PM
    Finally!!!!!!!!

"BlackBerry says 'collaboration' with Alicia Keys will end this month"-bb.jpg
    01-02-14 03:59 PM
    Omg!!!! No more keys!!!!!!.....

Oh hold on heard that wrong thought they said Florida keys!!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:04 PM
    What a stupid idea this was to begin with - especially when she was still using her iPhone.

What did she actually do? I saw a few dumb videos she did on the Blackberry website I think, and it had nothing to do with Blackberry - was mainly promoting herself. That and the initial announcement is all I saw of her.

Just more of Blackberry trying anything and everything, hoping that something sticks.
    01-02-14 04:07 PM
    I will pay $100K for a photograph of Alicia Keys leaving the Blackberry offices on Jan 30 carrying a cardboard box. This is no joke. I'm dead serious.
    If you actually believe she has anything at the BlackBerry offices to carry out in a cardboard box then you can't possibly have $100K in the first place.
    01-02-14 04:59 PM
    I don't really care honestly, but she was hired by BlackBerry to promote the brand really, and after she was hired her twitter account was tweeting from an iPhone, that should have been when she was fired.
    01-02-14 05:12 PM
    If you actually believe she has anything at the BlackBerry offices to carry out in a cardboard box then you can't possibly have $100K in the first place.
    Another possibility, of course, is that I do have the $100K but I know there's no way that anyone will ever be able to collect I'm just making fun of the idea that she was in any way a global creative director.
    01-02-14 05:19 PM
    What a joke. I still don't see what she brought to blackberry. She took their money for sponsorship of her world tour and that's About it. Did she even bother with a BBM channel? What a joke.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    01-02-14 05:45 PM
    Her stint at BBRY had 3 notable moments:

1) The initial surprise announcement
    2) News uproar that her social media updates were coming from an iPhone
    3) The parting announcement.

Did I miss the rest?
    01-02-14 06:24 PM
    Another possibility, of course, is that I do have the $100K but I know there's no way that anyone will ever be able to collect I'm just making fun of the idea that she was in any way a global creative director.
    I get what you're saying, which is why I added the "if you actually believe" qualifier. If you're offering the $100K knowing no one will ever collect, then you don't actually believe she has anything to carry out.
    01-02-14 06:36 PM
    Does anyone know how much money BlackBerry paid her for her shirt contract??

Posted using my amazing intelligent Z10
    01-02-14 08:12 PM
    I think she got more out of the deal than BlackBerry ever did. I doubt she came cheap either.

I definitely got behind the spirit of what the scholarship was trying to achieve. I think it was really cool that BlackBerry recognised the need for womens' role in technology to be recognised and supported. I hope it continues actually.

I just don't think Keys herself was all that relevant to BlackBerry or the scholarship.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-02-14 09:30 PM
    Good riddance. What a wasted year. Should have been gone long ago, or even when they gave boublen the boot
    01-02-14 09:50 PM
    Just checked out her twitter. Last time she actually used a BlackBerry device to post something was about 60 days ago. Guess this has been in the works for awhile.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 10:03 PM
    She probably hasn't had much interaction with anyone at BlackBerry the past few months. It was just a loose end Mr. Chen had to tie up, or a knot he decided to sever.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 01-02-14 at 10:19 PM.
    01-02-14 10:05 PM
    Hiring Alicia was one of BlackBerry's worst decisions and biggest waste of money.

At the time they hired her she wasn't even a 'hot' artist, her time had already come and gone. Not saying she's not talented, but really her peak had already dropped. Every time she spoke about the device it seemed forced and you could clearly see she was doing it for the money. Pathetic. John has made a great call in getting her off their balance sheet.

If I was a consumer I would be more inclined to buy a new BB if the damn promotion of the features were actually made clear rather then some 'celeb' reading some scripted dribble.
    01-03-14 12:40 AM
    I think it was kind of neat the way they brought her on board. However, her position was not well defined. Her only tangible work was a "Keep Moving" video and a project encouraging women to enter the tech industry. Both didn't garner a lot of attention.

The moment she tweeted from her iPhone it was apparent Alicia Keys was a ship without a sail. Her supervisor Frank Boulben was preoccupied with other things rather than utilizing that arrangement to its full potential.
    togarika likes this.
    01-03-14 01:38 AM
    I think she was gone before she even began.

I understand what bb tried to do but i do feel this was a directionless effort. That, and there are plenty more high profile professional faces to be had.

But the bb marketing has been off for a while, and this was just another facet that needed cleaning up.

Sent from Tapatalk
    01-03-14 04:22 AM
    Does anyone actually know what she did?

Answers on the back if a stamp

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 04:24 AM
    Look very pretty?

Sent from Tapatalk
    01-03-14 04:27 AM
    Instead of worrying about collaboration with famous celebrities, why not start rebuilding your relationship with your customers?

Start by improving customer service and rebuilding your relationship with the vendors so they will start carrying your products in their stores again like T Mobile USA.

Instead of wasting money paying someone who is already rich, pay some folks to actually go out in the field and have some Blackberry workshops at the vendors to show how your product would change how they use their smartphone.

Maybe I am off base here, but what do you have to loose at this stage of the game my friends. Just my opinion.

Sent using the CB app
    Caymancroc likes this.
    01-03-14 06:02 AM
    I am sad she is going because to me she was NOT the problem. The problem is BlackBerry management that hired her in the first place. I think it would have been the same no matter who they hired. Its more of BlackBerry failing to use what ever the have.
    01-03-14 06:51 AM
46 12