12-06-13 06:29 AM
370 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Chen is not an *****, he's just getting his feet wet. He will systematically go over every aspect of the business and of course marketing will be taken into consideration. But nobody should expect mass advertising and marketing campaigns as they are not looking to compete with the ''big numbers'' selling companies. Regardless, anything he does cant be worse than what we've seen.
    12-02-13 04:08 PM
    Ten million is still a large amount of devices. BlackBerry doesn't need to be number one. Just profitable.

This quarter should be interesting

Posted via CB10
    How many sales do they need to be profitable?
    12-02-13 04:11 PM
    Verizon put out a ton of Z10 advertisements when it launched. I saw at least 5 BB10 commercials a day for about 2 months, and ads all over stores for VZW.

I had people come up to me and ask me "Is that the new BB". They know it is hear. They just didn't want anything to do with it besides look.

I find BB10 to be excellent. I wish others would as well.
    I saw a lot of VZW and AT&T commercials for the Z and Q.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-02-13 04:14 PM
    If blackberry hits 10 million devices in a shorter time frame than windows phone it will be considered a success over a competitor

Posted via CB10
    There ya go. Hang your hat on that
    12-02-13 04:15 PM
    There ya go. Hang your hat on that
    So how long did it take WP to hit ten million?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-02-13 04:16 PM
    well. Wp7 and Wp8 are different OSes . So in general 3 years at most. Note this was the same as IOS back then it took a while to reach 10 million. and for WP8 in just over a year
    cckgz4 likes this.
    12-02-13 04:20 PM
    I'm a blackberry fan on a BlackBerry fan site. I wouldn't be here unless I was.

Someone should really question their own intelligence if they can't discern opinion from fact.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed.

Ya know dude or dudette. You would be alright if you just weren't sooooooooo............... OK, that's my opinion. I kind of like you anyway. I'd love to see BBRY come thru this and I think they still can but it's going to take a lot and they might just stay a small niche company which is cool too if they can profit that way. You don't have to be such a cheerleader or so "creative" at doing it.
    nquyen, JeepBB, h20work and 2 others like this.
    12-02-13 04:23 PM
    here is last months numbers

Attachment 226297
    In your chart if you compare with the one of the OP actually BB has gone up in sales? (comparing sep/13 vs oct/13) not much but up? Am I getting it right?

Is not that I believe that BB will go with a 2 digit market share in a near future but I was thinking BB market share will keep going down for at least one year more, if somehow it is peaking up a little at least there is a windows for improvement in a few months.
    missing_K-W and damien kupuku like this.
    12-02-13 04:26 PM
    So how long did it take WP to hit ten million?
    I don't know and........ I don't care

Sorry but I really don't
    12-02-13 04:28 PM
    Some of the posters on CB really get off on BlackBerry's short comings. It's really disgusting and a reflection of their own character

Posted via CB10
    And some of the posters don't see the short comings of BlackBerry at all. This isn't about one's character, this is business. Fix the ship or it will sink.
    JeepBB, kbz1960, Eumaeus and 1 others like this.
    12-02-13 04:32 PM
    In your chart if you compare with the one of the OP actually BB has gone up in sales? (comparing sep/13 vs oct/13) not much but up? Am I getting it right?
    Which country are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-02-13 04:33 PM

Is not that I believe that BB will go with a 2 digit market share in a near future but I was thinking BB market share will keep going down for at least one year more, if somehow it is peaking up a little at least there is a windows for improvement in a few months.
    The problem is that with such tiny numbers, the inevitable surveying and statistical errors become significant. I don't know what Kantar's error figure typically is, but BB's figures are close to being lost in the noise. I'm not sure that small 0.x deviations up or down mean anything really.
    12-02-13 04:35 PM
    all this shows is that 40.8% of americans are followers
    12-02-13 04:38 PM
    missing_K_W is one real optimistic fellow, yes he does come across a bit heavy with the rainbow optimism but for the life of me I am yet to see why people are piling on him. In every other post its snide comment or remark....smh
    why bother with CB if you treat the eternal optimist with such disdain? Ignore him if you dont like his flowery comments. God knows with the way CB and BB have been going these days his little ray of (admittedly at times) blind optimism helps to take the edge off....
    12-02-13 04:46 PM
    its actually

Q4 = 1 million
    Q1 = 2.7 million
    Q2 = 1.7 million
    Q3 = Dec 20th

So they have around 5.4 shipped so far. I dont see them getting anywhere close to 4.6 million this coming ER though
    That is incorrect. Revenue recognition was changed during the last earnings report. Most Q2 SOLD devices are a subset of SHIPPED devices from previous quarters. Distribution channels were stuffed and, based on the writedown, it does not make sense many (if any) devices were shipped Q3.

The number of devices SHIPPED Q3 is likely closer to 0 than 1.7 million. (The reason it is not 0 is because Blackberry must ship additional Q5 and perhaps Q10 devices that weren't released. Other sold devices came from inventory.) Blackberry changed revenue recognition so it wouldn't have to announce several 100k (or possibly a lot less) SHIPPED devices.

I'm not going to pin a number because no one knows for certain; but, Blackberry has between 3.7 and 5.4 million shipped devices with a much heavier bias toward the low end of the range.
    12-02-13 04:48 PM
    And some of the posters don't see the short comings of BlackBerry at all. This isn't about one's character, this is business. Fix the ship or it will sink.
    Amen, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    12-02-13 04:50 PM
    This survey or whatever you want to call it, is useless because it didn't reflect the whole world market. Is India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Middle Eastern and African countries "chop liver"? Is population of over 1 billion something to take for granted? Or did the researchers think people in these, not mentioned, countries get their phones for free?
    The world is bigger than they think and know.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    12-02-13 04:54 PM

They increase slightly in Australia and GB....everywhere else they dropped. I was waiting until someone actually looked for some positive signs. I award you 1 cookie
    12-02-13 05:06 PM
    12-02-13 05:10 PM
    I can only assume that you haven't actually seen how it works, or you wouldn't say that. No, not all users will adopt it, but I could see a good 30-40% uptake, vs maybe 1-3% uptake for "traditional" BB10 sideloading.
    To put it another way...

Using the old method, I wouldn't spend the time tutoring family / friends on sideloading using DDPB, the debug token method, etc...

Under the new update, I can send them a link to 1Mobile, or Amazon, etc... and they can click a link that will download the mobile store which will install and appear as an icon on their device. From there, they can search and install almost any Android app they want.

It's a sea change in terms of ease of use. Compare that to jailbreaking or rooting an Android device. I've done both many times, and there's no question that this is much, much easier and within the grasp of the average user. The only bar to using it is awareness, imo.

On a side note, my niece just picked up a work Z10. She's a dedicated iPhone fan but when work offered her the choice of a free BlackBerry or (another) iPhone, she chose BlackBerry. She just sent me an email the other day about how impressed she was with the phone. I laughed when she mentioned that her emails come in on the Z10 before her computer....
    missing_K-W and R Field like this.
    12-02-13 05:19 PM
    BBRY shares are still growing, so I guess this info is nothing to worry thath much about at the moment...
    12-02-13 05:22 PM
    Pretty sure blackberry phones have to be smuggled into China because they are banned for being too secure for the Chinese government to hack.

Sent from my Z30
    Hong Kong is part of China and BB7 phones were popular up to 2010. I have only seen one BB7 phone in the past year and the user quickly put his phone in his bag after he checked his messages. As for BB10 phones, the only ones I've seen are in telco shops and the demo models have no finger marks on their screens while the other platforms have tons of smudges on them. This happens even in stores were the BB10 phones are displayed prominently.
    12-02-13 05:26 PM
    Huawei lenovo and htc sell more than BlackBerry ? With what facts ? Samsung takes the largest percentage of android sells and no other android oem comes close..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Article that mentions Huawei sold 10 million units in Q1 2013: Huawei First-Half Sales Gain 11% on Push Into Mobile Devices - Bloomberg

Article that mentions that LG sold around 12 million units in each the 2Q 2013 and 3Q 2013 periods: LG's smartphone sales stayed high in Q3, but the G2 ad campaign cut into profits

HTC doesn't publish the number of units sold.

BlackBerry sold around 7 million units in 2Q 2013. I think that Hilman76's post was on point.
    MarsupilamiX and Berry_Pink like this.
    12-02-13 05:33 PM
    Last I checked BlackBerry was still selling millions of BlackBerry 10 devices a quarter. 10 million devices on the market in the near term can hardly be considered a flop. BlackBerry should hit 10 million in the upcoming months. That's a lot of devices

We don't have to have Samsung or Apple numbers. We need profitability.

Posted via CB10
    I do not know what you are smoking but you should definitely put a stop to it..in the first 9 months BB10 has sold less than a million units..perhaps in 5 years they will reach 10 millions.
    bbq10l likes this.
    12-02-13 05:35 PM
    How many companies make android devices? How companies make BlackBerry devices ? Do the math.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    then compare it to Apple is one company like Blackberry ...do the math on those numbers and will have a laugh
    12-02-13 05:37 PM
370 ... 45678 ...