12-06-13 06:29 AM
370 ... 131415
tools
    The numbers are facts, in which a statistically derived trendline can be created. The trend indicates a bleak future for BlackBerry. Himan76's view on BlackBerry is the truth, rooted in reality and objectivity. Your view is distorted.
    If past performance could give any indication of the future, I would be a millionaire by this time.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    12-04-13 07:40 PM
    .......what????........
    I think he meant that BlackBerry provides open source development frameworks such as Qt from Nokia, android from Google and webkit for html apps.

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W likes this.
    12-04-13 07:47 PM
    Pretty sure blackberry phones have to be smuggled into China because they are banned for being too secure for the Chinese government to hack.

Sent from my Z30
    Don't be ridiculous. BlackBerries have been available in China for a number of years, as far back as 2006 at least. They even had a store in Shanghai for a while before they closed it. For a short time, BlackBerry was quite popular among the business elites, until the iPhone came along, then everybody dumped it. As for hacking.... like the NSA, the Chinese can hack anything they set their mind to. I don't think they needed to hack BlackBerry though. It's more than likely the encryption keys were given to China similar to how they were given to India, just not as well publicized.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 08:17 PM
    I don't think they needed to hack BlackBerry though. It's more than likely the encryption keys were given to China similar to how they were given to India, just not as well publicized.
    Hmm, interesting. Do you think BlackBerry makes money on giving these keys to governments around the globe? Otherwise they could just post it publicly on their website. And if they do earn, would it be possible to generate new keys more often to increase the profit?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:23 PM
    The real story here is the U.S. and Spain. In this case, it would be a faux pas to bring up Japan and China's Blackberry marketshare because, as you've already stated, Blackberry didn't deploy BB10 there.

To see the U.S. and Spain decrease so much in marketshare is what's newsworthy here. Even the EU5 took a massive hit in consumer demand.
    This is true. But sales figures, of course, don't factor in how many people are just using devices they already own, obviously. A lot of people are still happy with their Bold's. I see Bold's all the time. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone with a BB10 device (yet)

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 09:07 PM
    I am pretty sure BB10 sales worldwide are currently in the neighborhood of 4 million. Maybe just over. I put this together from the articles Chris U wrote analyzing the quarterly reports, the previous 2. So getting to 10 million would take a lot of time, to put it mildly.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 09:16 PM
    .......what????........
    Just nod and back away slowly. Very slowly.... lol.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-13 11:11 PM
    If blackberry hits 10 million devices in a shorter time frame than windows phone it will be considered a success over a competitor
    Like being the best opera singer in Tulsa.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    12-05-13 08:21 AM
    Like being the best opera singer in Tulsa.
    You were saying?:

Tulsa Opera
    12-05-13 08:56 AM
    Nope. All of the major Android OEMs, for the most part are paying royalties to Microsoft for fear of being sued. Android is based on Linux. Many years ago Microsoft started threatening lawsuits against Linux OEMs based on their claim that Linux infringes on Windows patents.
    I wonder how many years ago that was. Until recently, U.S. patents expired 17 years after the date they were issued. So, if those patents were issued before 1996, they're no longer in force.

But in order to see which patents are involved folks have had to sign NDAs with Microsoft as I remember it. To this day none of it has come to court that I know of. And think about it. With so many companies that have seen the patents and paid up, it seems Microsoft probably is in a strong position.
    That doesn't make sense to me. Patents are public documents. Anyone who wants to see them can see them.
    12-05-13 10:56 AM
    I think he meant that BlackBerry provides open source development frameworks such as Qt from Nokia, android from Google and webkit for html apps.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. Thank you for the clarification.

What I read before and what you just said appear to be dissimilar.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-05-13 11:25 AM
    If past performance could give any indication of the future, I would be a millionaire by this time.

Posted via CB10
    You're completely ignoring the length of the trend. Sure, with short term trends, it is difficult to predict future results. But long term trends provide a strong indication of the future. BlackBerry's decline is part of a medium to long term trend, therefore there is a good chance this will continue. It is certainly not a short term trend as some people are suggesting.

To ignore this evidence is denying reality.
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    12-05-13 11:43 AM
    How was November sales, including the Z30? Is this device being adopted?
    12-05-13 12:56 PM
    How was November sales, including the Z30? Is this device being adopted?
    Dec 20.....anything anyone says now is educated speculation.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    12-05-13 12:59 PM
    Dec 20.....anything anyone says now is educated speculation.
    And some posters may be pushing the "educated" part.
    JeepBB, bradu1 and kevinnugent like this.
    12-05-13 02:04 PM
    My other personal phone is a Nexus 5, which I really like. I also have a dev alpha running 10.1 and access to a bunch of other phones at work. I really have no emotional investment in any platform. I just enjoy the industry and watching how it unfolds.

That was my point. The companies that are taking android, and not investing money in their own custom OS, and not constantly fighting for apps, are the ones who are making affordable phones that people want.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    I just recommended the Nexus 5 to a good friend who has to get a new phone for his daughter. Actually, I recommended the Nexus 5 or the LG G2. Personally, I think the Z10 or Z30 would be better, particularly in light of knowing she would be able to run 99% of all Android apps with 10.2.1, but I recognize the 'coolness' factor of teens.

As for my good friend (her Dad), he'll be switching from Android to BlackBerry in January when his contract expires based on my experiences with BB10 and another friend.

And just to round things out, his wife has an iPhone 5 and loves it.
    12-05-13 06:15 PM
    I agree.

And to people like harlemsfinest27, Hilman76 :
    I hate when people claim that all the people on CB are in some sort of denial. There are certainly a small number of (often very vocal) members who seem to be in denial, but the overwhelming majority of members DO NOT see BlackBerry making a turn-around in a few quarters, or expect the next earnings call to be anything close to positive.

The difference is that we are BlackBerry fans, and as such, we tend to highlight the positive aspects of the company. If there is bad news, we tend to look for any positives that may lie in it (this IS a BlackBerry FAN site). However, there are some people that don't seem to want us to celebrate ANYTHING BlackBerry-related, and feel that any positivity must be countered with posts about how "the company is DOOOOOMED!!!! AHHHHH!!!"

So don't take optimism, and seeing value in places where the company deserves credit, as denial of anything. We all know it will be a rocky journey in the very best case, and that the BlackBerry that (we hope) survives may look different than the BlackBerry of today. However, we also think BlackBerry does a lot of stuff well (e.g.: 10.2.1 is looking awesome IMO), and think there is a possibility that they will come out of this alive.

On the other hand, feel free to call out folks who make misinformed or ridiculous claims ....but there is no need to run around with "The End is Nigh!!" signs because of a minority of people who are truly in denial.
    Well said. Thanks for putting into words what a lot of us think. I hate the 'fanboy' vs 'troll' arguments. Life is 50 (million) Shades of Grey, lol, not black and white.
    m1a1mg, JeepBB and canuckvoip like this.
    12-05-13 06:22 PM
    I wonder how many years ago that was. Until recently, U.S. patents expired 17 years after the date they were issued. So, if those patents were issued before 1996, they're no longer in force.

That doesn't make sense to me. Patents are public documents. Anyone who wants to see them can see them.
    True you can see the patents but that does not mean you'd know which ones are applicable -- which ones Microsoft claims are infringed and why they claim it. Poor wording on my part. Yes.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-06-13 01:45 AM
    I just recommended the Nexus 5 to a good friend who has to get a new phone for his daughter. Actually, I recommended the Nexus 5 or the LG G2. Personally, I think the Z10 or Z30 would be better, particularly in light of knowing she would be able to run 99% of all Android apps with 10.2.1, but I recognize the 'coolness' factor of teens.
    For a teen, I have started recommending the Moto G - Here in the UK, you can get it as little as 90 (or even less in certain circumstances) off-contract and if the teenager destroys or loses it... it cost 90 - I simply cannot think of another phone that offers as much value for so little money.

The G is a really good example of why BBRY is in the trouble it is - compare and contrast it with the BBRY device which is in the same price bracket:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5625
    Last edited by cgk; 12-06-13 at 05:04 AM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-06-13 03:40 AM
    For a teen, I have started recommending the Moto G - Here in the UK, you can get it as little as 90 (or even less in certain circumstances) off-contract and if the teenager destroys or loses it... it cost 90 - I simply cannot think of another phone that offers as much value for so little money.

The G is a really good example of why BBRY is in the trouble it is - compare and contrast it with the BBRY device which is in the same price bracket:

Motorola Moto G vs. BlackBerry 9720 - GSMArena.com
    Thanks, I'll mention that. Funny, she had a cheap Samsung before and busted it. It was a no name model, perhaps it was deliberate, lol.
    12-06-13 06:29 AM
370 ... 131415