12-06-13 06:29 AM
370 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Attachment 226535

I think he may be referring to this graph. Look at September/October 2012 vs September/October 2013. The new iPhones has not bumped iOS's market share up half as much as it did last year. I
    Marketshare won't correlate directly with sales. Apple could increase sales by 10% but still stay the same, lose, or increase marketshare, as that figure depends on what other players do.
    m1a1mg and techvisor like this.
    12-03-13 12:35 PM
    Correction there BlackBerry was not up for sale. It was merely looking for strategic partnership. The media used the words up for sale just to sensationalise the reports for additional media sales revenue. Please check your facts first.

Posted via CB10
    You are absolutely incorrect. Sorry, BBRY was up for sale. We are led to believe several large companies looked at parts or all of it. In fact, Prem Watsa, himself, had a LOI to buy it all at $9. He backed out, not BBRY. If you don't think "strategic alternatives" meant up for sale as an option, you need to learn more about how these things work. I am not sure how you can blame the media on this one and be so wrong.

Please check YOUR facts first. I think you will find your understanding of what did or didn't happen is not correct.

EDIT:

Read these for a little history lesson (and some broken promises by PW)

BlackBerry (BBRY) abandoned plans to sell itself to Canadian investor Prem Watsa for $4.7 billion on Monday, sending the slumping smartphone maker’s shares plummeting 17% to levels unseen since 2003.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...et-doubts.html

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...-plans-halted/
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 12-03-13 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added links
    12-03-13 12:47 PM
    Marketshare won't correlate directly with sales. Apple could increase sales by 10% but still stay the same, lose, or increase marketshare, as that figure depends on what other players do.
    That has been the case recently. While Apple continues to report record sales they market share has been dropping, because the market has been growing a lot faster than a single vendor can manage. This is not however a completely judgement-neutral thing and has various implications.
    12-03-13 12:54 PM
    You are absolutely incorrect. Sorry, BBRY was up for sale. We are led to believe several large companies looked at parts or all of it. In fact, Prem Watsa, himself, had a LOI to buy it all at $9. He backed out, not BBRY. If you don't think "strategic alternatives" meant up for sale as an option, you need to learn more about how these things work. I am not sure how you can blame the media on this one and be so wrong.

Please check YOUR facts first. I think you will find your understanding of what did or didn't happen is not correct.

EDIT:

Read these for a little history lesson (and some broken promises by PW)

BlackBerry (BBRY) abandoned plans to sell itself to Canadian investor Prem Watsa for $4.7 billion on Monday, sending the slumping smartphone makers shares plummeting 17% to levels unseen since 2003.

BlackBerry billionaire Prem Watsa defends $4.7bn bid against market doubts - Telegraph

BlackBerry's $4.7B Sale Implodes, Shares Dive | Fox Business
    Pheww... I'm glad you took that one. I was about to respond to the "BB was never for sale" poster myself.

The reason I didn't respond, inertia I was fighting to overcome, was my realisation that it would be futile as all the links in the world and logical presentation of facts about the sale will never change his mind?
    12-03-13 01:01 PM
    12-03-13 01:29 PM
    Correction there BlackBerry was not up for sale. It was merely looking for strategic partnership. The media used the words up for sale just to sensationalise the reports for additional media sales revenue. Please check your facts first.

Posted via CB10
    While you're rewriting history, you should "educate" Chen. He told enterprise customers that the "For Sale" sign is down. So apparently he thought it was up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, DenverRalphy, cgk and 3 others like this.
    12-03-13 01:32 PM
    I love seeing these low-count posters, who strangely seem to understand CB just like old-hands, passing though with their drive-by insults.

I really must get myself a throw-away avatar... just in case I get banned.... and I can get to thank my other selves too to increase my feelings of self-worth! Result!

Yeah, I know, I'm a very shallow person.
    12-03-13 01:58 PM
    I love seeing these low-count posters, who strangely seem to understand CB just like old-hands, passing though with their drive-by insults.

I really must get myself a throw-away avatar... just in case I get banned.... and I can get to thank my other selves too to increase my feelings of self-worth! Result!

Yeah, I know, I'm a very shallow person.
    It's boring on other sites don't you know....

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-03-13 02:35 PM
    I agree that to have a platform, they needed a tablet and still do. The dream of a large companion monitor is still financially years away (cheaper to do a standalone device right now).

The problem is without a platform a Table is useless. Think they hoped that the Z10 and Q10 would bring users in by the millions and that those users would attract developers and that after a year, they would have a platform. There were some here that expected 20 / 30+ million device in the first year. If it had happened that way I'm sure a Tablet would have been left in the product lineup.
    BlackBerry wants the smartphone in the center, as the engine of (mobile) computing.

I had a long talk with Christophe Lefort here in France, last summer. The power is in the device and bigger screens or input tools are just peripherals.

Some here have experienced their BB10 device connected via miracast on a screen with BT keyboard and mouse. It is - as of date- not competitive with a lap/desktop but can really be used occasionally . Now, while I believe a BB10 smartphone would not gain much from an octo-processor... image processing (GPU) or BUS controllers, may need it.
    What's missing? Not a playbook.

Visit my BBM Channel !
    12-03-13 03:20 PM
    hahahahah.....you sure are funny.

altho i think most of your post are funny...this one had me ROFL!!!!! good job.
    This is where the problem is. People want others to 'see the reality'... well, the reality is that everyone I have shown my Z10 to loves it, they love the os and if anyone said they didn't want a Z10 it was bc they wanted the q10.

Call me a liar if you want, that is MY reality. The fact of the matter is that these things are all relative. Is BlackBerry doing bad... HELL YES! But there are many people that WOULD love bb10 and it's devices if a better job was done in roll out and marketing.

The device speaks for itself, we just need to make sure it gets a chance to actually do some talking.

The 'reality ' is that BlackBerry messed up so many things in the last few years that people don't care anymore. They could have released the exact same thing as the iPhone 5s, running iOS 9 and no one would buy it.

Perception needs to change, hopefully these letters being released will help, if not then BlackBerry will eventually make the nay sayers right... 4years later.

People can't buy what they don't know exists... or what nobody is selling.

Posted via CB10
    The same could have been said about webOS, which in many ways was more advanced and user friendly than both iOS and Android at the time. We know its eventual fate...
    12-03-13 03:31 PM
    Today I checked two big media markets and several provider shops in Berlin. I saw Samsung, Nokia, Sony, HTC, motorola. Not a single BlackBerry.
    12-03-13 03:43 PM
    Of course they can function. Instagram was feted recently with it's 13 employees. THIRTEEN!

BlackBerry, with over four thousand employees? Yeah, pretty sure they can. With one arm tied behind their back, and then some...

Sheesh, the gloom and doom sometimes on this forum... =)
    The issue is quality of employees left. I was in a similar situation, major corp. 5k employees. They began to dump people, then the marketable/bright stars, began to leave for more stable employment. I'm positive BB is losing key employees. What employee wants to wait every Quarter to see if there is a job or not? Try to put yourself in their shoes, would you stay at Blackberry with zero stability or begin a new career at Apple, or Google and eat lobster daily for lunch?
    12-03-13 04:36 PM
    Your logic is that in order for something to be successful it needs to sell product to billions and billions of people?

Budwesier and Coors own 95% of the beer market - that doesn't mean their beer isn't watered down garbage. This actually proves my point with Apple. That also proves that the thousands of other breweries who fill in the remaining 5% can be successful and be profitable. There are a lot of similarities between the cell phone and craft brew industries.

Your comments are every bit as embarrassing as the average fan boy on this site. Doom and gloom vs. Unbridled fanaticism.

Posted via CB10
    Snow Beer owned by SABMiller almost outsells Budweiser and Coors together. They also own several other brands such as Fosters, Grolsch, Miller Brewing Company, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell. There is another chinese brand who also sells more than Budweiser. Cheers!!
    12-03-13 05:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    WHAT? Did you seriously just write that?
    southlander likes this.
    12-03-13 05:49 PM
    The numbers look suspicious when comparing US numbers from OP vs Howarmat. Says 35% in Sep 2012 and then 47% in Oct 2012. Overall pattern is BlackBerry and iOS are both going down in market share.

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    12-03-13 06:02 PM
    What a stupid article. This is like slagging Sony for not having US sales when they pulled out of the market. How do you specifically target markets like Japan they've said they haven't sold to?

As for the US comScore says they have approx 4% of the market and more than WP. Yet this quotes it as near 0%? What is the margin for error +/- percentages in the statistics?
    bradu1 likes this.
    12-03-13 06:12 PM
    It's boring on other sites don't you

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    So true. IMore is boring vs this one.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 12-03-13 at 06:40 PM.
    12-03-13 06:27 PM
    As for the US comScore says they have approx 4% of the market and more than WP. Yet this quotes it as near 0%? What is the margin for error +/- percentages in the statistics?
    4 in 100 smartphone owners (+- 140 million) in US still have Blackberries (Comscore). Nearly 1 out of 100 smartphone buyers in US over August, September and October (probably around 30 million to account for the iPhone seasonal skew) picked a new Blackberry 7 or 10 handset (Kantar). The other 99 chose handsets from other companies. You are the 1%. Congratulations.
    12-03-13 06:30 PM
    Last I checked there was a massive billion dollar write down on Z10's that no one wants, a massive drop in revenue and a tiny market share (wow, 10 million devices out of a billion+ hey!!!).

Pretty sad when Android sells more devices in a few days than all the BB10 devices in a whole quarter. Time for you to get your head out of the sand, your love for BB on here is just plain sad and embarrassing.
    So your pride as a person relies on the brand of the device you use? If you subscribe to principle of superficiality as a way of life, good for you. But don't insist on someone else to follow your path.
    Shanerredflag and canuckvoip like this.
    12-03-13 06:39 PM
    What a stupid article. This is like slagging Sony for not having US sales when they pulled out of the market. How do you specifically target markets like Japan they've said they haven't sold to?

Kantar is Sales and Comscore is active user base. Kantar and IDC are the most reliable source. Comscore isn't reliable. which is why you don't see Comscore's posted around the internet
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-03-13 07:13 PM
    I was also called the biggest BlackBerry fan on CB the other day. An honor I hold in high regard

Embarrassing that I am a BlackBerry fan on a BlackBerry fan site. Lol. That's really too much.

Why would someone waste their time on a forum and not even support the platform?

Posted via CB10
    I always wonder that too???
    12-03-13 07:24 PM
    I always wonder that too???
    There is a difference between wanting BlackBerry to do well, and actually thinking BlackBerry is doing well.

I think iOS is going the way of the Mac, which is to say they are playing only in the high margin end of the market. So the rest of the market, including all the affordable devices, are being dominated by Android. I would love to see another platform or two emerge as strong alternatives. I would love for one of those to be BlackBerry.

At the same time I see BlackBerry fumbling around, and making a lot of mistakes, while trying to figure this out. I'm not going to pretend they are doing well right now when it's clear to me they just aren't.

I would like them to do well, but they just aren't heading in that direction at the moment.
    12-03-13 07:58 PM
    Japan dropped BB a while ago. My buddy left RIM to work for Sqaure and says you can't get a BB here so he was forced to use an iphone. he is sad every day.

Spain i understand they are bankrupt

china I understand they are commys and hate no spying

only one that sucks is USA at zero.
    12-03-13 09:23 PM
    There is a difference between wanting BlackBerry to do well, and actually thinking BlackBerry is doing well.

I think iOS is going the way of the Mac, which is to say they are playing only in the high margin end of the market. So the rest of the market, including all the affordable devices, are being dominated by Android. I would love to see another platform or two emerge as strong alternatives. I would love for one of those to be BlackBerry.

At the same time I see BlackBerry fumbling around, and making a lot of mistakes, while trying to figure this out. I'm not going to pretend they are doing well right now when it's clear to me they just aren't.

I would like them to do well, but they just aren't heading in that direction at the moment.
    Many around here will never quite be able to grasp this distinction. For whatever reason they cannot reconcile BlackBerry's lack of sucess as a company with their own love for the devices. They assume that since they love the product then the company must be doing well or is on the rise when every objective indicator points to the opposite conclusion.
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    12-03-13 10:17 PM
    So, basically you are saying that Australians are smart...?

here is last months numbers

Attachment 226297
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-03-13 10:17 PM
370 ... 1011121314 ...