12-06-13 07:29 AM
370 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    December 20th will come soon. We will get the numbers then.
    Hopefully, they explain the numbers better this quarter and differentiate between OS7 and BB10 phones more clearly. Last quarter was just a mess.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-03-13 08:38 AM
    Why are you being so incredibly negative? Companies and products go up and down in the market place. Apple computers is a case in point. I am new to BB10 and find it an excellent operating system. Back in 2004, I felt the same for Apple products...the market and analysts were incredibly negative on their products...seems like a repeat. I am comming from an Iphone 4s and moving to a Z30...the BB10 operating system better meets my needs and thats after only 10 months in the market. Yep they will struggle to gain market share, but they are updating their OS at a very fast pace and quite frankly have introduced an OS on a mobile platform that is probably the most efficient in terms of the UI that I have seen. Innovation always rests with the underdog - the choice is extinction which is a pretty good motivator.
    If BlackBerry were a new and struggling company trying to break into the smartphone market, they would be the underdog. But BlackBerry was the big stuffy king of the hill that fell asleep and got rolled to the bottom. It's too big, clumsy and arrogant to be seen as an underdog at this point - no one outside of CrackBerry is rooting for BlackBerry at this point.

As for the Apple comparison .... just like Palm is a different story from BlackBerry, Apple is a much different story from BlackBerry. What everyone here forgets is that the iPhone didn't become a hit because of iOS, just like WebOS didn't save Palm. It was what the device could do for users.... with Apple it was the fact that the device combined the already popular iPod with a phone. With Palm, it was just a cool OS on a so-so pieces of hardware (sound familiar), but no real advantage over other device already on the market.

For BlackBerry to succeed at this point.... they have to be better than iOS or Android, and provide something unique that consumers would appreciate and be willing to pay for (we know that isn't security - right?). So far the Hardware hasn't been anything special and has been overprice, and the software.... while having a different UI and a neat all in one Inbox, it still is missing a number of features - yes it is getting better, but don't expect people to BUY until it is better.
    12-03-13 09:01 AM
    ^^^ we get it....now could you please allow those who support BB to do so without being told how dumb they are???
    12-03-13 09:13 AM
    If blackberry hits 10 million devices in a shorter time frame than windows phone it will be considered a success over a competitor

Posted via CB10
    Sure being more successful than the Windows phone is a brilliant success.

Windows will overtake BBRY soon - sad but true........
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    12-03-13 09:14 AM
    Hopefully, they explain the numbers better this quarter and differentiate between OS7 and BB10 phones more clearly. Last quarter was just a mess.
    It's funny because the digits from os7 and bb10 put together, indicate the version for the best phone they made.

12-03-13 09:27 AM
    I still think the dumbest move they made was the name change to BlackBerry. They should have kept RIM and dropped bb or changed to something totally different.
    Yeah, I think I kind of agree with that. Just the very word "BlackBerry" on a phone is enough to make a huge number of people lose all interest.

They should have stayed RIM and called the new OS "AlienOS" or some other random name. ANYTHING but "BlackBerry".

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-13 09:34 AM
    I've never heard BB go on sale in Japan.
    I was in Japan when BB10 release and they told me Blackberry does not have any store in Japan.
    So it's meaningless when include Japan in the list.
    12-03-13 09:38 AM
    Yeah, I think I kind of agree with that. Just the very word "BlackBerry" on a phone is enough to make a huge number of people lose all interest.

They should have stayed RIM and called the new OS "AlienOS" or some other random name. ANYTHING but "BlackBerry".

Posted via CB10
    It's not too late, assuming Chen decides to flush billions down the toilet gamble and soldier on in the handset market. I think "Turducken" would make a helluva name for a smartphone.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    12-03-13 09:46 AM
    Sure being more successful than the Windows phone is a brilliant success.

Windows will overtake BBRY soon - sad but true........
    Soon?

Maybe there are a few markets where BlackBerry still has more marketshare than Windows, but in most markets (all of the ones in the OP chart) and in the World Wide numbers, Windows has past BlackBerry.

Worldwide Marketshare based on OS (IDC) for the 3Q 2013

Windows 3.6% (156% increase)
    BlackBerry 1.7% (-41.6% decrease)
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-03-13 09:47 AM
    The one thing virtually every single survey confirms is BB devices are coming in well behind Android and iOS in terms of both sales and marketshare. So adding in enterprise customers or leaving them out makes zero difference to the overall statement that BB marketshare is on a downward trajectory and BB10 has not been embraced by consumers/prosumers/enterprise.
    That's a fair assumption, because it's based on volume (number of devices sold). Therefore, it would virtually change nothing (if anything) on the market share picture. Now, if you look at the revenues scheme, this is totally different. For BB10 devices, a basic CAL will be $19/year for BB devices and $99 for iOs/android secure workspace extension. What is interesting/paradoxal here is that other brands device penetration in enterprises may offer a better ROI for BlackBerry than their own devices (provided the company is BES10 powered, of course).
    Given that enterprises supporting BB do use BES, these Enterprises figures are very valuable to understand BB future ...
    app_Developer and spike12 like this.
    12-03-13 09:56 AM
    BB phones are bought by BB fans or ignorant tech enthusiast. But z10 is probably the best smartphone I have ever owned.
    12-03-13 10:13 AM
    Why are studies so inconsistent? I just saw a figure where us market share was 2.5%. The common consensus is 1.5% on the forums. Now this. I don't believe these figures are factual. Will wait to see BlackBerry report figures

Posted via CB10
    These numbers are based on sales of new devices, the 2.5% is probably the total number of devices in the market. Both can be correct when the context of the number is taken into consideration.

Posted via CB10
    Gesig Boek and howarmat like this.
    12-03-13 10:20 AM
    no worries....
    12-03-13 10:26 AM
    Why are you being so incredibly negative? Companies and products go up and down in the market place. Apple computers is a case in point. I am new to BB10 and find it an excellent operating system. Back in 2004, I felt the same for Apple products...the market and analysts were incredibly negative on their products...seems like a repeat. I am comming from an Iphone 4s and moving to a Z30...the BB10 operating system better meets my needs and thats after only 10 months in the market. Yep they will struggle to gain market share, but they are updating their OS at a very fast pace and quite frankly have introduced an OS on a mobile platform that is probably the most efficient in terms of the UI that I have seen. Innovation always rests with the underdog - the choice is extinction which is a pretty good motivator.
    To be fair, wasnt it the board of directors who hoisted the white flag and put the company up for sale?

I think this was a tad negative dont you agree?

This single move (along with the incredibly stupid Playbook decision) has cast a huge shadow over the future of BB10.
    12-03-13 10:42 AM
    To be fair, wasnt it the board of directors who hoisted the white flag and put the company up for sale?

This single move (along with the incredibly stupid Playbook decision) has cast a huge shadow over the future of BB10.
    Let's be honest, the PlayBook decision - I assume you mean the not bring BB10 to it, and not the decision to sell it in the first place - didn't affect very many people. Most of them were die hard fans to begin with and had already bought BB10 devices. That decision was the right one at the time based on the bloated OS that BB10 had become.

The decision to look for alternative and then announce to the world a sale without a buyer was.... typical BlackBerry.
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    12-03-13 11:00 AM
    edit : OMG, I realize I've quoted your post (weird browser !) and not answering.
    Short : I do think enterprise profits are enough to keep the handsets alive, but you know that, already

On the stats plan, I believe it may be intersting to look at the Gartner's figures, by Os.
    While confirming a "position swap" between MS and BB, figures are somehow different.
    Also note, as for Kantar, these are consumers figures, not enterprises.

Attachment 226444

And on the hardware front while confirming competitors went ahead of BlackBerry, it's interesting to note the "fragmented market" aka "others" (androids in massive proportion) are now selling more than any vendor alone. edited : Warning this is phones+smartphones, not smatphones alone (thx howardmat)
    Attachment 226445

By the time the OS10 is mature (I personally believe only the 10.2.1.1055 leak can be considered as mature OS) they have to maintain their position with devices that are on the outdated trend for consumers at the price they were launched. But these devices are perfectly legit in enterprise environments; the durability of BB devices is one of their key feature, in a ROI perspective.

Current discounted offers (< $200 on BB site, sold out BTW) plus enterprise bundles (device+CAL) can/could/may lower the impact of the write down and a timely opportunity to regain some decent market shares, at least see it growing Q to Q (read: next Quarter).

It's no mystery BlackBerry has been advertised dead everywhere in the media (good-bad, that's not my point) and customers who engage for a 2yrs plan are reluctant to adopt a so called dying company.

I'm looking forward to figures (by the way, you surely noticed BB doubled in Australia) in selected areas these Kantar stats don't reflect. To name few; Africa, Brazil, Asia. While far from trendy, these are the craziest growing markets, currently upgrading flip phones to smartphones. Good to have a pear for the thirst
    And of course, Enterprises figures, both on the HW and SW fronts ... 3 weeks to go until we "know".
    Edit: Wow, pocket forum quote....sorry

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-13 11:11 AM
    Let's be honest, the PlayBook decision - I assume you mean the not bring BB10 to it, and not the decision to sell it in the first place - didn't affect very many people. Most of them were die hard fans to begin with and had already bought BB10 devices. That decision was the right one at the time based on the bloated OS that BB10 had become.

The decision to look for alternative and then announce to the world a sale without a buyer was.... typical BlackBerry.
    Thanks. To clarify, I find it bizarre that BBRY would exit the tablet market, even if they were not going to make huge profits in that sector.

To promote the BBRY brand and sell BB10 as a viable proposition it would have made sense to have a range of handset and tablet products (to me anyway).

As you say, all water under the bridge now..
    12-03-13 11:11 AM
    Thanks. To clarify, I find it bizarre that BBRY would exit the tablet market, even if they were not going to make huge profits in that sector.

To promote the BBRY brand and sell BB10 as a viable proposition it would have made sense to have a range of handset and tablet products (to me anyway).

As you say, all water under the bridge now..
    I agree that to have a platform, they needed a tablet and still do. The dream of a large companion monitor is still financially years away (cheaper to do a standalone device right now).

The problem is without a platform a Table is useless. Think they hoped that the Z10 and Q10 would bring users in by the millions and that those users would attract developers and that after a year, they would have a platform. There were some here that expected 20 / 30+ million device in the first year. If it had happened that way I'm sure a Tablet would have been left in the product lineup.
    12-03-13 11:29 AM
    Probably false figures! Where Blackberry has dropped is Indonesia. From 10% to 4% in use.
    12-03-13 11:42 AM
    Can somebody verify this information as I was informed that Windows phone figures includes all windows 8 deployment that us why it has a big figure.

Well one thing is for sure iPhone sales has dropped double digits this year as compared to last year sales. It has also dropped double digits sales last year as well. How come there is no alarm about it? Is iPhone dead yet? If not when will it die? It is so severely out of date.

When will BlackBerry platform die? It must as it is really ahead of its time and the people are not ready for it yet, just like WebOS a few years ago.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 12:42 PM

Correction there BlackBerry was not up for sale. It was merely looking for strategic partnership. The media used the words up for sale just to sensationalise the reports for additional media sales revenue. Please check your facts first.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 12:47 PM
    If BB10 finds a significant market, then the business case for producing native apps for it improves. A lot.

As it stands now, anyone who's producing a native app for this platform is doing it because they want to. They're not likely to get rich off it. Any developer who wants to be in BB World, is going to at least need to get signing keys, convert their app to a BAR, and register as a vendor.
    Yes, and these are all big "ifs". We need to count on developers to want to make the native apps and not just make Android ports.

I hope they do because I would love more native apps on my Z10. Well done native apps. They look and run amazingly well.
    12-03-13 01:00 PM
    Can somebody verify this information as I was informed that Windows phone figures includes all windows 8 deployment that us why it has a big figure.

Well one thing is for sure iPhone sales has dropped double digits this year as compared to last year sales. It has also dropped double digits sales last year as well. How come there is no alarm about it? Is iPhone dead yet? If not when will it die? It is so severely out of date.

When will BlackBerry platform die? It must as it is really ahead of its time and the people are not ready for it yet, just like WebOS a few years ago.

Posted via CB10
    What data are you looking at? Apple has increase sales looking at this data above....
    12-03-13 01:12 PM
    Correction there BlackBerry was not up for sale. It was merely looking for strategic partnership. The media used the words up for sale just to sensationalise the reports for additional media sales revenue. Please check your facts first.
    And this, dear people, is how you rewrite history...
    JeepBB and notfanboy like this.
    12-03-13 01:17 PM
    BlackBerry sales drop near zero in US, China, Spain and Japan, research says-kantar-oct-6.png

I think he may be referring to this graph. Look at September/October 2012 vs September/October 2013. The new iPhones has not bumped iOS's market share up half as much as it did last year. I
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-03-13 01:22 PM
370 ... 910111213 ...