I believe this is a direct result of the perception shift (Sir Chen) has provided for BlackBerry.
    Sales where frozen with the Thor up for sale campaign, I hope that as positive news keeps filtering through the press, more and more people will give BB10 a whirl.
    The US is a loss for now(we all get it) so please don't litter this thread with **** we already know.
    Hopefully this trend continues, only time will tell, but one thing I think has really changed is I feel BlackBerry wants to compete again.
    I never felt under Thor a real sense of ownership, ownership of his message to customers, or ownership of the products he was trying to sell.
    I allways read this is the hand he was dealt and he did the best he could, bullocks I say. Thor was a nice guy but the only message he owned was the for sale sign.

Chen may not pull BB out of the pan, but he sure will play with the fire, and own everyone of his decisions!!!

BlackBerry pins hope on Qwerty as sales in UAE pick up | The National
    Last edited by 40blind40; 03-08-14 at 05:48 PM.
    neteng1000 likes this.
    03-08-14 03:42 PM
    UEA or UAE?
    03-08-14 04:17 PM
    UEA or UAE?
    Cut the guy some slack. It's just a typo. Did you read his/her link?
    sickyute and bspence87 like this.
    03-08-14 04:38 PM
    I did read the article (and I am familiar with The National as I used to work in Dubai)

I wasn't entirely sure if it was a Typo, or whether the OP comes from a country that has a different name for the United Arab Emirates - eg I say United Kingdom, some people say Great Britain, and my French friends say Le Royaume Uni (when they are being polite.....)
    03-08-14 05:16 PM
    No its true it was a Typo, for some reason it won't let me edit the title.
    Lol and just like BlackBerry, on CrackBerry its all about execution!!
    03-08-14 05:46 PM
    Typos stink when in the headline though. We all make mistakes. Some just do better at that then others.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.2141
    03-08-14 06:41 PM
    Btw OP, thanks for sharing an interesting article.
    03-08-14 09:41 PM
    It's up to a mod to fix the title now.
    03-08-14 10:55 PM
    Go BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 11:59 PM
    What's the actual number?
    03-09-14 04:35 AM
    A poster can actually edit their title on the desktop site.
    03-09-14 05:00 AM
    His title.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 07:42 AM
    Op: the article you posted was quite negative.
    Did you actually read it?

From your article:
    Even the recent sales surge within the UAE is not necessarily because the BlackBerry brand has regained its former cachet but, rather, is due to a new round of price cuts, says Mr Panjabi. He adds that the revenue for BlackBerry units sold as a portion of all mobile phones at Jacky’s has actually dropped over the past year as competitors such as Samsung, Apple, Lenovo and Huawei “have strengthened their presence”.
    Meanwhile, both Etisalat and du have started offering cheaper data plans for customers with Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS or Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating systems, whereas in the past it was normally BlackBerry owners who benefitted most from these kinds of programmes.
    “The distinct advantage BlackBerry once had in the cost of data plans isn’t there any more,” says Mr Panjabi.

I found this in the article cjk;

Last year, BlackBerry’s sales decline in the UAE continued, retailers say. Its mobile phones struggled at both JadoPado.com and ALshop.com, for example, while shipments across the broader Mea region also slumped. In the fourth quarter, BlackBerry’s share in the smartphone market stood at 2.5 per cent in the Mea, which was down from 9.1 per cent during the previous quarter, according to market data from IDC.

Here's hoping the z3 makes a difference for blackberry in the region.
    I guess it's your interpretation of the article. People have different views and this is another "Is the glass half full or half empty". I'm quite sure that you were aware that BlackBerry was in a tailspin for the past year or so. So I don't know what kind of results you are expecting, if you are realistic.
    BlackBerry's situation is no different from someone who is involved in near fatal accident and is bleeding profusely. In that situation, the first priority is to stop the bleeding and success would be measured on how much bleeding is stopped, not by whether the person has fully recovered. Therefore you must measure BlackBerry's "success" at the moment by how successful it is in stemming its market share erosion.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-09-14 09:47 AM
    I very much doubt that the UAE is a target market for the Z3, as UAE per capita Nett income is on a par with the USA (USA gross per capita income is about 40% more than for the UAE, but there are no personal or general sales taxes in the UAE)

Having said that, there are a lot of ex-pat lower-paid workers in the UAE who might be a (smaller) target market for the Z3

I would expect the Z30 or Q10 to be marketed very hard in the UAE, as historically the UAE has been very pro-BlackBerry

Note: I used to work in Dubai, and still visit the UAE a few times every year
    03-09-14 12:23 PM
    Lol, at the name Ashish Panjabi.

That is a slave name, :P
    03-10-14 04:42 AM
    What's the actual number?
    2x

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    03-10-14 01:55 PM
    2x what, 2 x 14 handsets for 28???
    03-10-14 02:23 PM
    Daimler, the German luxury car maker, has signed on for an undisclosed number of new BlackBerry 10 phones, while Airbus, the French aircraft maker, is upgrading its entire fleet of phones to models with this operating system.
    I wasn't aware they caught such as big fish like Airbus. Great news!

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    03-10-14 02:38 PM
    Op: the article you posted was quite negative.
    Did you actually read it?

From your article:
    Even the recent sales surge within the UAE is not necessarily because the BlackBerry brand has regained its former cachet but, rather, is due to a new round of price cuts, says Mr Panjabi. He adds that the revenue for BlackBerry units sold as a portion of all mobile phones at Jacky’s has actually dropped over the past year as competitors such as Samsung, Apple, Lenovo and Huawei “have strengthened their presence”.
    Meanwhile, both Etisalat and du have started offering cheaper data plans for customers with Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS or Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating systems, whereas in the past it was normally BlackBerry owners who benefitted most from these kinds of programmes.
    “The distinct advantage BlackBerry once had in the cost of data plans isn’t there any more,” says Mr Panjabi.

I found this in the article cjk;

Last year, BlackBerry’s sales decline in the UAE continued, retailers say. Its mobile phones struggled at both JadoPado.com and ALshop.com, for example, while shipments across the broader Mea region also slumped. In the fourth quarter, BlackBerry’s share in the smartphone market stood at 2.5 per cent in the Mea, which was down from 9.1 per cent during the previous quarter, according to market data from IDC.

I completely read the article Thanks for asking!
    I believe I covered those points by concluding that BB10 sales fell of the cliff under Thors watch.
    If you read my thread you would find my belief is that this spike in sales is a direct result of BlackBerrys new message.
    While I don't believe a blip is sales is anything special, it does lend itself to my belief that BB will stop the bleeding and steady the ship, while preparing the market for new products and services.

This is exactly the road map Chen has set forth in his strategy for 2014, rebuild, restore confidence, then attack the market for future growth. Whether or not he is successful remains to be seen, but if we start to see sale upticks in markets that have sustained continual decline, I believe we will have our answer. Hopefully this blip in the UAE is one indicator of such a trend.
    03-10-14 02:51 PM
    2x what, 2 x 14 handsets for 28???
    See, but if they were selling 28 last month and sold 14 thus month everyone would be singing the 'down by half' song.

Can't have it both ways. This is good news, regardless of the number.

Let's play a little game... pick any two digit number, any one. Double it. Double it again. Add 50% to it, add 25% to it... what do you have?

A BIG NUMBER!

Everything starts somewhere, and even if it's a slow build, it is in fact a build.

I'm not getting excited, but let's also not downplay this.

Let's see what happens for the next month's numbers

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 10:41 PM
    Except you would be wrong.
    Go back and reread my post, I even bolded the part which directly contradicts your assumption. The guy clearly said the uptick in sales is due to price cuts, that is not BB's new message. Bb is not palm.

Again I hope the z3 changes BB's current situation in the UAE.
    No offence but I would totally disagree while the price is a factor, I believe sentiment is also playing a big role.
    If you researched this, you would see the prices for the z10 has been at 1,100 AED or for a few months now.
    Also the Q10 was priced at a reduced rate of 1,999 AED for months, and just recently dropped to 1,599 AED
    While price is a factor, it does not explain the sudden sales shift alone. My point being prices have been depressed for a while in this particular country.
    I conclude that if price was the only factor the previous months would have seen stronger sales. This is my conclusion, we shall just agree to disagree.
    03-10-14 10:56 PM
    See, but if they were selling 28 last month and sold 14 thus month everyone would be singing the 'down by half' song.

Can't have it both ways. This is good news, regardless of the number.

Let's play a little game... pick any two digit number, any one. Double it. Double it again. Add 50% to it, add 25% to it... what do you have?

A BIG NUMBER!

Everything starts somewhere, and even if it's a slow build, it is in fact a build.

I'm not getting excited, but let's also not downplay this.

Let's see what happens for the next month's numbers

Posted via CB10
    There is a reason why the number wasn't released, it's because it was laughable at best.
    03-10-14 11:54 PM
    There is a reason why the number wasn't released, it's because it was laughable at best.
    That doesn't matter... it was doubled. Why would double the people buy a failing brand, regardless of price.

They know there is a change.

Hopefully this continues

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 11:28 AM
    Because it was cheap.
    Did they raise the prices after this? Probably not, which means sales should continue to go up. So even the ppl playing the ' bc it's cheap' card lose this bet

If it's cheap numbers will continue to go up, so this IS big news.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:14 PM
    You don't understand how Dubai works do you?
    Cheap=bad
    But... if cheap = bad then why did the numbers double?

It seems like that goes against the argument everyone is making and proves mine (that sales were not bc of price)

Also, Jakarta will be released

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 08:46 PM