BlackBerry sale to Lenovo killed after firm no from Ottawa - Business - CBC News

There is more but here is the interesting stuff...

"BlackBerry tried to sell itself to Chinese computer giant Lenovo last year. But CBC News has confirmed the company got a firm no when it approached the federal government to find out if the bid would be approved.

At the time, the company was told that either Chinese or Russian investment would be met with stiff opposition. So it abandoned the sale.

But it turned out there was something Ottawa could do to help the beleaguered company. BlackBerry received an early Christmas present from the federal government, courtesy of a remission order ? $767 million Cdn early payment of part of its tax refund.

BlackBerry to sell most of its Canadian real estate
    CEO John Chen says BlackBerry 'very much alive'
    The infusion was a boon to the company, which at the time was burning through its cash reserves and attracting investors who were betting big money it would fail."

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 09:48 PM
    Can someone fix the title. Should say Lenovo.

Thanks. C

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 09:51 PM
    Isn't this old news?

Posted via CB10
    itzJustMeh likes this.
    03-24-14 10:24 PM
    CBC just posted the article today.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 10:32 PM
    Good article to read. I was gonna post this here until I saw you beat me to it.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 11:33 PM
    My favorite part is at the bottom:

According to Misek, that extra payment had a massive impact, saying "it might have saved the company - we might look back in a year or two, whatever BlackBerry becomes, and say that was the day they saved the company".

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-24-14 11:40 PM
    Definitely old news and interference by the Canadian gov't was anticipated since there had been prior precedents with the attempted sales of other Cdn businesses in mining and industry. My personal thought is that CBC is simply trying to stir the pot with the upcoming quarterly report, but it does make you wonder if the advance refund was a reconciliation following the interference.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-14 12:29 AM
    Definitely old news and interference by the Canadian gov't was anticipated since there had been prior precedents with the attempted sales of other Cdn businesses in mining and industry. My personal thought is that CBC is simply trying to stir the pot with the upcoming quarterly report, but it does make you wonder if the advance refund was a reconciliation following the interference.
    CBC stir the pot? CBC put a negative twist on something Canadian? Never! LoL

Posted via CB10
    aminrajabi likes this.
    03-25-14 03:16 AM
    If the Canadian government can block the sale to a Russian or Chinese company, how could they insure that an approved sale to some other foreign company is then not just flipped to the Chinese or Russian company at a later date?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:44 AM
    Lenoir sounds like a french cologne.. buy a blackberry now and experience the wonderful fragrance of Lenoir. Imagine that a phone that smelt good.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-14 07:20 AM
    since they don't have any recent news to pull BB down they are just recycling old news... :-)
    03-25-14 07:22 AM
    since they don't have any recent news to pull BB down they are just recycling old news... :-)
    Yea. I don't understand why this always happens, and it seems like it's just (or mostly) BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    rizdragon likes this.
    03-25-14 01:53 PM
    If the Canadian government can block the sale to a Russian or Chinese company, how could they insure that an approved sale to some other foreign company is then not just flipped to the Chinese or Russian company at a later date?
    Good point.
    03-25-14 02:22 PM
    How many foreign companies have gotten government support here in Canada to spur investment or create jobs etc while their own companies are not allowed to use what is available to them in a free market, apparently.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 02:36 PM
    How many foreign companies have gotten government support here in Canada to spur investment or create jobs etc while their own companies are not allowed to use what is available to them in a free market, apparently.

Posted via CB10
    It has to do with security as well, since our government and a bunch of other governments use BlackBerry. Selling to a foreign country would ruin that.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:05 AM
    Je ne comprends pas ce qu'est un Lenoir is?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:31 AM
    Je ne comprends pas ce qu'est un Lenoir is?

Posted via CB10

c'est une socit chinoise

It's a Chinese company
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:35 AM
    Lol

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 07:52 AM
    Can someone fix the title. Should say Lenovo.

Thanks. C

Posted via CB10
    Done. Autocorrect was boning you.
    Sith_Apprentice and CDM76 like this.
    03-26-14 09:44 AM
    Isn't this old news?
    This is certainly old news. Although I don't remember hearing about the early tax refund previously.
    03-26-14 10:03 AM