So, after yesterday's news, wanted to find out the community's take. Big deal or not?
    11-01-16 10:43 AM
    Sure sounds like a different kind of deal. Think it is good for BlackBerry to be involved in the development of these types of applications. They need to be the go to company for internet of things stuff.. right?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 10:46 AM
    Yes it's a big deal! For little BlackBerry/QNX the $200 M a quarter software company.

But it's not going to bring back BlackBerry phones.... And it's not going to make me go out and buy a SYNC powered Ford, just to see a 2 sec splash screen that says BlackBerry (if it even does that, which I doubt).
    JeepBB and bakron1 like this.
    11-01-16 10:50 AM
    If Ford adopts a version of QNX Car 2.0 then its a big deal. More licensing dollars.
    11-01-16 10:59 AM
    This seems like it's more than just a deal for a better entertainment console like Sync, but more of a full play for autonomous vehicles. It's a good deal for both Ford and BlackBerry as Ford gets a proven embedded software system to base their platform on and BlackBerry gets both recognition beyond handsets and shows a positive traction in software.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    11-01-16 01:59 PM
    I think that based on the lack of details... it's clear that the "market" doesn't see this as much of anything.

Probable have to wait for the next earnings call to see if anyone can get details out of Chen on it.

But I'm sure that Ford is worried about some of these self driving... Google, Tesla and now even Apple. It might be that people decide to buy a car based not on the styling or engine... but on simple how well it drives itself. And some of the big auto manufactures have been a little flat footed.
    11-01-16 03:08 PM
    Seeing BlackBerry as a Tier 1 supplier certainly puts their name out there and eventually the jokes will end about their ancient phones and people realize what they are actually capable of.

As for share price, it had a nice lift, for a moment, and then down it came. Nothing but growing revenues and actually profitability is going to make the share price really climb at this point.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 03:22 PM

Probable have to wait for the next earnings call to see if anyone can get details out of Chen on it.
    So the complete wrong message followed by damage control?
    11-01-16 03:27 PM
    So the complete wrong message followed by damage control?
    It's software.... Chen has a better handle on that. Plus there are as many folks trying to read as much into what he says when talking about software.

Really all investors need to know is the scope of this additional partnership.... is it worth $1 million annually or $100 million.
    11-01-16 03:36 PM
    John Chen is a highly regarded CEO in technology sector. Inking a deal with Ford reflects that.
    11-01-16 03:53 PM
    As a business person myself, any deal like this is a good one and especially with a company like Ford.

It's not going to bring back the phone sector, but the revenue it will generate helps in keeping the Blackberry name on that building in Waterloo.
    11-01-16 08:22 PM
    Without figures, it's just more smoke and mirrors from J.C.
    11-01-16 08:32 PM
    It's really hard to say without details. It seems they will have an opportunity to contribute to more than just infotainment. That could be a good thing, but it depends on the details and it depends on BB's execution.

Let's see what their automotive revenue looks like in a year.
    11-01-16 08:42 PM
    Huge news for us the work for Ford. Moving forward with our idea!!!
    11-01-16 08:50 PM
    Huge news for us the work for Ford. Moving forward with our idea!!!
    This was your idea?
    11-01-16 09:29 PM
    As a business person myself, any deal like this is a good one and especially with a company like Ford.

It's not going to bring back the phone sector, but the revenue it will generate helps in keeping the Blackberry name on that building in Waterloo.
    Hmmmmmmm, I hope so, but it could also mean the sale of BlackBerry to another Tier 1 company?

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    11-02-16 06:44 AM
    Without figures, it's just more smoke and mirrors from J.C.
    Tier 1 supplier deal, it's not going to be smoke and mirrors. This should be increased revenue earned per car sale. Also, each car may earn recurring rev on updates.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    11-02-16 06:47 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    It's a huge deal with one of the biggest auto manufacturers in the World.

Posted via CB10
    abwan11 likes this.
    11-02-16 08:40 AM
    The smart car is the next big thing, Ford needs to show up and win their portion of that market, if they feel that BlackBerry has something that can get them there, that's huge.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 11:04 PM
    Ya I think it's a big deal.

#luvmybb10os
    11-11-16 10:29 AM
    It's a huge deal with one of the biggest auto manufacturers in the World.

Posted via CB10

Numbers?
    11-11-16 11:47 AM
    When I see a QNX car driving itself from one state to another like the Uber/Budwiser truck, then I'll think it's a big deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ry-in-colorado
    11-11-16 11:50 AM
    When I see a QNX car driving itself from one state to another like the Uber/Budwiser truck, then I'll think it's a big deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ry-in-colorado
    Any idea if QNX is in that truck anyone?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 07:44 PM
    I'd like to see them pen a similar deal with Tesla. They need to get out in front of the electric/self driving car trend as well. The deal with Ford is definitely big though as. It helps give them even more industry cach. If it goes well, we're sure to see more big names follow.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 12:51 PM
    I'd like to see them pen a similar deal with Tesla. They need to get out in front of the electric/self driving car trend as well. The deal with Ford is definitely big though as. It helps give them even more industry cach. If it goes well, we're sure to see more big names follow.

Posted via CB10
    Tesla is too far ahead to look back on self-driving
    Tesla Self-Driving Full Demo
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-22-16 01:24 PM