07-28-15 01:34 PM
108 ... 2345
tools
    Everyone here just kills me, always finding ways to make negative remarks about Chen. This guy has a history of doing good things for other companies that were in similar situations as BB. Just because many feel to see past his choices or strategy, or why he is doing things they way he was doing them! Had it not been for Chen, BB probably would not even existed anymore to even be making these posts.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions which is what a forum is all about, but we should really wait until this all plays out until we can honestly say anything about him. Sure I agree he has made some poor decisions in my opinion too but everyone is so quick to blast here as if they could run the company any better. He is doing what he needs to do for the long term. Rome was not built in a day and he has even admitted that it is taking longer then anticipated. When you have a brand as tarnished as BB is, he's doing all he possibly can I am sure
    sound similar? what has anyone and everyone said about Bush and Obama in the last decade? no difference here, the head/spokesperson will always be blamed .
    Last edited by extisis; 07-26-15 at 08:37 PM.
    07-26-15 03:26 PM
    Here in Nigeria. Not yours in US brainwashed with brick phones. Passport is one of the best phone in the world.

Posted via CB10
    thanks for the insult but i'm not brainwashed. Z30 will never double type so check your statement.
    07-26-15 03:30 PM
    Yes but I don't base my purchase of phones on what BlackBerry does outside of making phones so why would what Apple does outside of making phones factor in to buying a phone? If both make two phones a year...you aren't waiting longer to upgrade with BlackBerry than if you went iPhone. And BlackBerry's two phones per year I guarantee will have more differences to them than the two iPhones....iPhone 7 and then a slightly upgraded iPhone 7 plus or 7s coming next

Posted with my  Classic
    I have read comments from plenty of people who may have had a smartphone on another mobile OS or a basic phone, but owned an iPad. When it came time to make a decision as to which phone to upgrade to, the iPhone entered their minds because they had heard how well the iPhone and iPad integrated with each other. The same can be said for people who owned Macs.

Apple was able to convert many former iPod users into iPhone users. Apple's other products have greatly enhanced and sustained their iPhone sales.
    07-26-15 03:39 PM
    I have read comments from plenty of people who may have had a smartphone on another mobile OS or a basic phone, but owned an iPad. When it came time to make a decision as to which phone to upgrade to, the iPhone entered their minds because they had heard how well the iPhone and iPad integrated with each other. The same can be said for people who owned Macs.

Apple was able to convert many former iPod users into iPhone users. Apple's other products have greatly enhanced and sustained their iPhone sales.
    While blackberry failed to convert BlackBerry Os users to blackberry 10. Sad shame

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-26-15 03:58 PM
    Totally agree with Chen that Blackberry should stop making smartphones if turnaround efforts fail to gain traction. Doing away with marketing smartphones saved money.
    Actually, Chen's "turnaround" has been a disaster. His software sales from BES12 are probably lower than would have been projected under Thor and he's selling far fewer phones. The board should begin by firing Chen and bringing back Mike L. to return to what made BlackBerry great. It ain't much of a software company.
    07-26-15 06:56 PM
    Actually, Chen's "turnaround" has been a disaster. His software sales from BES12 are probably lower than would have been projected under Thor and he's selling far fewer phones. The board should begin by firing Chen and bringing back Mike L. to return to what made BlackBerry great. It ain't much of a software company.
    That's a different time and different market. There are problems with BlackBerry hardware business at its core that cause it to not even come close to competing. Just a quick run down of the issues:

1. Refuse to stick to a single product line. They keep throwing crap at the wall, hoping it will stick. Z10, q10, q5, z30, z3, Leap, Classic, Passport. All of these are for different price points, different users, different marketing. By upgrading none of these devices, they effectively pissed everyone off collectively. Looking the slider fiasco, they are about to do it again.

2. Refuse to upgrade components. When you release a device, you hope, expect, demand that it has at very least what was in the prior device you are upgrading from. BlackBerry's reliance recycling parts and neglecting to upgrade anything may save then a dollar or two here and there, but it's costing thousands more in lost sales. Had the leap been an actual upgrade over the z-series devices, many would have grabbed one, myself included.

3. No identity. This is related to the first part. Somewhere along the line, the hardware division lost its identity. When BB10 launched, you're was a clear identity - z is touch, q is touch, and there will be high and mid tier device for each. WTF happened when Chen took over (all keyboard, cancel high end touch, neuter the Manitoba, etc.) is anyone's guess.

I could go on, but this is getting depressing.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 08:58 PM
    Nope Nope Nope.....Dont bring back the old guard as they had their time in the sun. Focus on services ! Being new to BB, I love the keyboard and the hub. Bring those ideas to android as People want apps, Apps and APPS. Im carrying around two phones (as many people here are) - My primary one for business/messaging is my Q10 (I need a keyboard) and my media one is a moto X.

I understand that BB is a business phone and i do use it in that way but normal people, I mean the everyday man or woman want apps and media. If they have failed in being people to BB10. I think because 1) lack of advertising 2) BB has a bad name eg: i got the Oh you are buying one of those ???

So they need to bring the cool BB10 features to android and at the same time offer google play legitly on BB10 to get people back. Separate the lifestyle side and the work side or the phone as you can already do on BB10 and it will be a hit.
    07-26-15 09:03 PM
    BlackBerry Prepared to Move Past Smartphones, CEO Chen Says - Bloomberg Business

Before we overreact, let's focus on the positive. BlackBerry is moving forward with plans for a high end device, clearly the Slider. The negative is that if Slider doesn't turn things around, we may never see another BlackBerry again.

You can argue that he is dooming the Slider before it is ever released. Who wants to buy a phone from a company that is considering getting out of the business? He has to be less frank about this. How about actively trying to sell the phone?

Chen's device strategy has not been great. Classic and Leap are not flying off the shelves. Leap is probably a complete failure. I have no idea what the decision to move forward with these devices was based on but it certainly was not based on listening to his fan base, us.
    Everyone on Crackberry better buy one then!

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    07-26-15 10:04 PM
    Everyone on Crackberry better buy one then!

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    The sad part is I think everyone on CB does buy,.. not one,... but several BlackBerry devices. And yet,.. they still couldn't move the needle.

This is why you can't help but shake your head a bit when reading these emotional rebukes of the slider being Android,.. and worse-- calls asserting that yet another full touch BB10 device would be 'the answer'.

I love BB10, but it will never be able to cause Android and iOS to suck so badly that people feel compelled to leave those platforms... and that's all there is to it.

Unless Android or iOS suddenly hire the former BlackBerry management team, and they decide that it's ok to sit on their past success and fail to push innovation in a timely fashion (i.e. BBOS 7 anyone?),.. then people will continue to be 'happy enough' with their Android and iPhone's and thus will not look elsewhere.

So the only realistic shot BlackBerry has at actually selling a mobile device at volumes that your local bakery won't laugh at,.. is to offer something in a place where a large number of people are actually looking... the Android ecosystem.

I wish it was a different story,.. but, they really cemented their 'pre-smartphone-era device status' with BBOS 7, then BB10 came too late, and when it did they sucked at pushing it against a widely held belief that they had gone out of business.

Nice technology,... brutal execution.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:58 PM
    Totally agree with Chen that Blackberry should stop making smartphones if turnaround efforts fail to gain traction. Doing away with marketing smartphones saved money.
    No, BlackBerry should not stop making phones. They should make the phones that people are demanding.

High end full touch, for example.
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-27-15 04:44 AM
    If the slider, has the spec you want and you use it as a full touch and never flip it up and it s cheaper than an iphone what does it matter that it slides. At least it is an iphone ++ when you want it to be. I don't under the ******** about the fact that it is a slider.

If I got a Camaro and it is cheaper than Lexus but it also transform and does more, I for one wouldn't be complaining.
    07-27-15 06:09 AM
    Was going to get the passport next month, and will be tied into a two year contract? Is it worth buying it if BB is looking to get out of that business?
    07-27-15 06:20 AM
    The device strategy should be clear at this point: produce one high end full-touch device. Open as much market share as you can. A glass slab with high quality internals, a high outright purchase price, and a reasonable price on contract. Update it every year to keep it in the news. Let the real cheapskates (like me) buy used.
    So you want them to make this phone but turn around and admit you won't even buy it?

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-27-15 06:29 AM
    No, BlackBerry should not stop making phones. They should make the phones that people are demanding.

High end full touch, for example.
    "They should make the phones that people are demanding."

Android and IOS, for example? Because outside of one website nobody wants a BB10 phone.

logger4942 likes this.
    07-27-15 06:35 AM
    Full touch high end in which Android OS with BB 10 Emailing & Hub are integrated. I do not favour keeping keeping two devices, one for emailing and other for Apps (android).
    07-27-15 06:37 AM
    If the slider, has the spec you want and you use it as a full touch and never flip it up and it s cheaper than an iphone what does it matter that it slides. At least it is an iphone ++ when you want it to be. I don't under the ******** about the fact that it is a slider.

If I got a Camaro and it is cheaper than Lexus but it also transform and does more, I for one wouldn't be complaining.
    If I want a full touch, and they give a slider, and it costs anywhere near the iPhone, then I'm probably just going to go iPhone now. Chen is ready to bail on BB10 and phones, so if they won't give me exactly what I want at a very competitive price, why should I throw good money after bad. Chen has sabotaged new device sales before they even launched with his pathetic communication skills. He should have just kept his mouth shut and and not say every interview that hardware might not be the future, but since he is, why would anyone throw money at them for a new device that isn't exactly what they want when their is plenty of other devices from other manufacturers running other OS's that Chen is eager to support over his own phones?

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 06:52 AM
    "They should make the phones that people are demanding."

Android and IOS, for example? Because outside of one website nobody wants a BB10 phone.

Outside of one website no one knows about BlackBerry, that is why there is no demand.
    07-27-15 07:33 AM
    Outside of one website no one knows about BlackBerry, that is why there is no demand.
    No,they have a niche device and a boutique OS. They are also more exp

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:44 AM
    I find, if true, all the very good talent leaving BlackBerry the most upsetting. I do agree the hardware has been a complete flop since no z10/z30 replacement in two years. I kind of question if blackberry is really doing that we'll in software. One always hears how many total clients they have, but what prevents me from setting up my own home bes server, or cloud for my one device?

Clearly we know that revenue is not expanding consistently, even if profit is, until that point happens we cannot truly praise Chen.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:55 AM
    See, that's the lie that people in these forums make themselves believe. Plenty of people know about BlackBerry, but nobody cares about BB10.

Case in point- when the Android rumors were flying hot and heavy last month's, many tech and business sites were posting the news. These same sites normally never post any BlackBerry news because their readers don't care. A possible BlackBerry Droid got people talking. Now that the rumors have died down, they've gone back to not caring. This will repeat itself when/if new news or rumors of Android come to light.

Mark my word... if there is an Android BlackBerry released, you'll see it reviewed on Ars Technica, CNET, and all the other big technology sites. If the Slider is BB10, it'll be reviewed on... Crackberry.

Folks on CB just refuse to believe that BB10 doesn't get anyone excited.

mathking606 and JeepBB like this.
    07-27-15 08:13 AM
    See, that's the lie that people in these forums make themselves believe. Plenty of people know about BlackBerry, but nobody cares about BB10.

Case in point- when the Android rumors were flying hot and heavy last month's, many tech and business sites were posting the news. These same sites normally never post any BlackBerry news because their readers don't care. A possible BlackBerry Droid got people talking. Now that the rumors have died down, they've gone back to not caring. This will repeat itself when/if new news or rumors of Android come to light.

Mark my word... if there is an Android BlackBerry released, you'll see it reviewed on Ars Technica, CNET, and all the other big technology sites. If the Slider is BB10, it'll be reviewed on... Crackberry.

I view Android as a second rate app solution compared to iOS. Sorry but the apps are done better on iOS because developers make more money there and it is a higher end user base willing to spend money on apps. Apple is the first choice for most developers and they make an Android app to check a box, but their effort is in iOS. Apps are the issue with BB10 and I'm relying on a second rate solution, Android, to get some apps now. If I have to switch platforms, I'm not going with the second rate solution. I'll pay a little more for the phone to get the best support and the best apps available and go with iOS. In the end Chen will support iOS more than BlackBerry anyway, because Apple has more Enterprise presence than Android anyway.

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 08:26 AM

http://www.cnet.com/products/blackberry-z10/

http://www.cnet.com/products/blackberry-classic/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...tphone-review/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...berry-classic/

These BlackBerry 10 phones are reviewed on CNET and Ars Technica already.

I agree with your first point that people know about BlackBerry and just don't care. They are viewed as ancient phones. People are surprised to learn from watching me that BlackBerry has touch screen phones with a more modern OS, which is a big marketing issue considering these phones have been out for over two years now.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-27-15 08:38 AM
    http://www.eweek.com/mobile/why-blac...ew-phones.html

Others at BlackBerry continue to talk up that devices are important.

Thank God.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:40 AM

I have the perfect car for you.

BlackBerry Prepared to Move Past Smartphones, CEO Chen Says-gibbs-aquada-boat-car1.jpg
    MarsupilamiX and jas1978 like this.
    07-27-15 10:18 AM
    The future of Blackberry is not in making smartphones anymore, but in securing and protecting all devices. BlackBerry is now a software service company.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 11:24 AM
108 ... 2345