This interview is probably is last and final warning to scores of BBRY aficionados( of which I am one!!) We better be prepared with alternative hardware devices.Sadly, there is none to match BBRY OS.
    07-26-15 07:37 AM
    If blackberry could just make one keyboard phone properly, they'd be alright. Tons of QC issues, weak specs, and half-baked design are what have set them back.

Apple makes basically one phone a year. The 6 and 6+ are basically the same thing, but before that, it's been one a year (the C was a repackaged 5).

So if Apple can do one phone a year, why can't BB focus on one a year?

The 9900 was their bread and butter, the Q10 was almost.

Just put out a powerful keyboard phone with a 3.75" screen and good QC. A smaller, 4-row passport.

Just get one thing right instead of 4 things half-right/half-wrong (which is what they're doing now).
    Any phone with a square screen will never be right. All will either be too wide or have a screen which is too small.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-26-15 08:08 AM
    Any phone with a square screen will never be right. All will either be too wide or have a screen which is too small.

Posted via CB10
    The Passport is a wonderful device (the idea and use of it). Even for watching media.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    07-26-15 08:19 AM
    John Chen told in two interviews they going to continue the phone business with two or one phone's every year instead of four phones. Still the slider is coming and the Dallas/Oslo.
    Do they consider the Dallas a new phone? It is a repackaged Passport. If that counts against the new phone 1 or 2 phone limit, then they should just fold up the hardware business up.

Posted via Z30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-26-15 08:27 AM
    The Passport is a wonderful device (the idea and use of it). Even for watching media.

Posted via CB10
    The passport is one of the best phone out there!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry launching 1-2 phones a year drastically reduces the chance of it being a phone I want.

I know that I would be happy with an iPhone 6S+.
    I also know that a BlackBerry slider would make me happy.
    Even a high-end touch device from BlackBerry might be of interest.
    But everything that looks like a Classic/Passport is a no go for me.

So, simply on a personal level, I doubt that BlackBerry would release a phone interesting enough for me to want it.
    Ok, just to present an alternative "What If" scenario: everyone is assuming that those 1-2 devices would be the same devices (form factor) every year but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. That's thinking along the lines of Apple / Samsung who move much higher volumes than BlackBerry. He's partnered with Foxconn, Wistron and Compal Electronics, ostensibly for different devices which seems like overkill if you're reducing the number of models, yes?

Given that the average mobile user doesn't upgrade their phone every six months, lol... Maybe he'll alternate the release of more than two devices over the course of more than one year. Given the lower userbase none of the devices need a refresh every year. So if he decides to make them upper spec'd devices one year could see a nice all touch and maybe the Classic; the next the Passport and the Slider; or whatever.

Something to consider, anyway.
    MarsupilamiX and toneytone like this.
    07-26-15 09:23 AM
    The passport is one of the best phone out there!

Posted via CB10
    Not to people who don't want a PKB anymore. Sorry BlackBerry converted me from a PKB user to all touch with the Z line and their is no going back for me. PKB is just possible physical failure point in the device and uses up space that can be used for other things IMHO.

Posted via Z30
    AYC2112 likes this.
    07-26-15 09:39 AM
    Everyone seem to bee head over heels that they could just produce 1 or 2 devices per year...

Question: how many devices do you actually buy per year?? When you got a good phone.. you use it about 2 years... then in the meantime there are 4 devices produced...

So what are you complaining about???

Posted via my awesome Classic
    07-26-15 09:41 AM
    Ok, just to present an alternative "What If" scenario: everyone is assuming that those 1-2 devices would be the same devices (form factor) every year but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. That's thinking along the lines of Apple / Samsung who move much higher volumes than BlackBerry. He's partnered with Foxconn, Wistron and Compal Electronics, ostensibly for different devices which seems like overkill if you're reducing the number of models, yes?

Given that the average mobile user doesn't upgrade their phone every six months, lol... Maybe he'll alternate the release of more than two devices over the course of more than one year. Given the lower userbase none of the devices need a refresh every year. So if he decides to make them upper spec'd devices one year could see a nice all touch and maybe the Classic; the next the Passport and the Slider; or whatever.

And you really think that the hardware divison would survive long enough to even get to the year 2 release cycle?

I doubt that to be honest.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-26-15 10:08 AM
    And you really think that the hardware divison would survive long enough to even get to the year 2 release cycle?

Well, that might depend on what's under the hood of those devices going forward. They're obviously playing with Android (too many rumours not to have at least some substance to it). Sure I think it's possible under that scenario, but it's too soon to tell, imho. Chen has clamped down pretty hard on leaks so we'll have to see what happens with the Slider (and what's IN it, lol) before having a clearer idea, I think. A lot of questions / speculation will be answered by that device.
    07-26-15 10:47 AM
    Question: how many devices do you actually buy per year?? When you got a good phone.. you use it about 2 years... then in the meantime there are 4 devices produced...
    Kind of like how you only use a couple dozen apps on a regular basis so a store with thousands of apps is unnecessary? Most people here think one or two phones a year is fine as long as it's magically the exact kind of phone that they like.

The unmistakeable message is that he's cutting back on phones. He also pointed out that there's a lot of internal pressure to make phones because a lot of good employees at Blackberry grew up making phones. He talked about how at some point the economics take over - which has to be pretty soon since he's not making a profit on them. He's airing some dirty laundry as a signal to his own employees that he's getting out of phones.
    07-26-15 11:06 AM

That's the same point I've made in another thread. Look how well the Z10 and Z30 still perform with the OS using old tech. 4 devices could be in the stable but only two being updated per year. Similar to what apple does. They only push major hardware updates every two years. The S model years have been minor updates most of the time. Folks just need to ride the roller-coaster. We have no control

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    07-26-15 12:12 PM

BB is getting so much help now on the manufacturing end and now parts from Samsung. I believe they will have to provide there own devices for enterprise customers who probably demand it in there contracts so we will have access to devices. It just won't be that many as Chin has already stated.

07-26-15 12:17 PM
    That's the same point I've made in another thread. Look how well the Z10 and Z30 still perform with the OS using old tech. 4 devices could be in the stable but only two being updated per year. Singular to what apple does. They only push major hardware updates every two years. The S model years have been minor updates most of the time. Folks just need to ride the roller-coaster. We have no control

I'm not a legacy user but look how long the Bold 9900 lasted (and still lasts, lol). I've come across a few articles / studies (?) that showed the average mobile user waiting longer to upgrade their phones with every passing year as well. So yeah, in terms of hardware alone, there's nothing wrong with alternating years for refreshing a product cycle. IF they go that route, then they should be well spec'd enough to future proof them for a few years, imho.

Software and what platform(s) are on the devices, that's another side to the equation... Frankly there's so many different ways Chen could go in respect to hardware - including licensing out the IP for touch capacitive pkb, patents etc. that's it's purely a guessing game at this stage. Like you say, it's out of our hands, so I personally don't really worry about it too much. Though I do enjoy speculating, ha.
    toneytone likes this.
    07-26-15 12:21 PM
    I've seen so many Classic in the wild you would think that BlackBerry was back in regular production, obviously that's no the case.

I think with the slider they are going to try and get all users:

- The keyboard loyalist
    - Large screen users
    - App fiends

I for one, would definitely make such a BlackBerry device my next purchase after having owned a iPhone 6 Plus but the battery life would have to be the same or better.
    Wow. Where are you. I have not seen one Classic or Passport in the wild. I travel from Wisconsin to California. .

If they continue with BB keyboard garbage then BB/Chen deserve the failure. Along with all those that think likewise. .

Via my HTC One M9...
    ers_1967 likes this.
    07-26-15 12:23 PM
    BB is getting so much help now on the manufacturing end and now parts from Samsung. I believe they will have to provide there own devices for enterprise customers who probably demand it in there contracts so we will have access to devices. It just won't be that many as Chin has already stated.

Sorry but no proof of this. If the N4BB Specs on the slider are correct then BlackBerry is getting parts from LG, not Samsung. The Samsung partnership was to benefit Samsung on the BES side, not BlackBerry on hardware side.

Posted via Z30
    extisis likes this.
    07-26-15 12:37 PM
    you couldn't have said this any better my friend. I wish John Chen could see this from your perspective.
    07-26-15 01:12 PM
    Blackberry should have hired a CEO that had more of a hardware background. Chen is a software guy. Having said that, BB really messed up the Z10 launch. BB10 was not ready to be released. not until the summer when 10.1 came along did things settled down with the Z10 but by then, it was too late. Carriers dropped support for the brand. Who can blame them? Add to that the monumental error of putting themselves up for sale which caused a lot of IT managers to look for alternatives to BB and BES and you have a nightmare. Its clear that Chen does not want to keep producing phones otherwise there would be advertisement and marketing. I was in a meeting on Friday and the comments that I got for my passport was that it was a very nice device but they thought Blackberry was out of business. And these are corporate people I was with. If corporate America thinks bb is dead, then its dead. The fact that BB does not spend a dime in advertising is clear evidence that Chen wants to do away with the hardware division. Its that simple. What he does not get is that if the hardware goes, then so goes the company.
    07-26-15 01:17 PM
    Corporate America wants a great all touch device that runs either Android or iOS. Coincidentally, this is what consumer America wants too. Few in Corporate America need the BlackBerry end to end solution or PKB devices.

Phones belong to the world not just Corporate America.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-26-15 01:27 PM
    That's the same point I've made in another thread. Look how well the Z10 and Z30 still perform with the OS using old tech. 4 devices could be in the stable but only two being updated per year. Similar to what apple does. They only push major hardware updates every two years. The S model years have been minor updates most of the time. Folks just need to ride the roller-coaster. We have no control

The problem with that is BlackBerry is notorious for launching new devices without any bump in specs- actually, they have a precedent of downgrading new devices...look at this:

Q10 was followed up by the anemic q5
    Z30 was followed by the Leap
    Passport was followed by the classic.

To get a 4 device per year cycle, they need to break this trend, set a baseline for each device, and upgrade everything.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-26-15 01:40 PM
    BlackBerry Prepared to Move Past Smartphones, CEO Chen Says - Bloomberg Business

Chen's device strategy has not been great. Classic and Leap are not flying off the shelves. Leap is probably a complete failure. I have no idea what the decision to move forward with these devices was based on but it certainly was not based on listening to his fan base, us.
    I think Chen's "device" strategy was to milk BlackBerry fans for the 40% of revenue created by hardware sales for as long as possible without investing in or building the platform. Almost all the talent and infrastructure that his predecessors built up at the cost of billions of dollars was immediately thrown away or reassigned. BlackBerry had quite possibly the most respected browser guy. Gone almost immediately after Chen. Ecosystem development was shuttered almost immediately after Chen. Head kernel developer from QNX, gone (left for Apple) after meeting with Chen. Pretty much everyone you've heard of from the BB10 effort is gone or reassigned. I'm not sure I've ever heard Chen make the case for BB10.

You've got to remember that one of the reasons why BlackBerry developed BB10 was because of plenty of feedback from enterprise. Enterprise wanted phones that their employees would enjoy using as much as consumer alternatives like iOS and Android devices. Instead of continuing the effort to compete by building the platform and the ecosystem and adding differentiating features, he began articulating a lie about being able to niche to enterprise and government without competing in consumer markets that inform individual users who work in enterprise and government. BlackBerry had already tried this line of reasoning under Mike L. ("we don't need a camera..."), but Mike was savvy enough to know that change was necessary and possible. Chen would rather run a small, but profitable software company than take a stab at fulfilling BlackBerry's potential. All he's really using is Thor's development of BES 12 and BlackBerry's brand recognition among IT folks. Since he's never competed anywhere near the level that Mike L. and Thor did in his career, he's kind of just shrinking BlackBerry to be yet another enterprise software company -- that's the movie that he's seen before.

I would say John Chen is possibly the worst CEO in major tech right now. His failure at BlackBerry has been monumental. It's not so much that the company isn't profitable, because it's close and will be soon. It's that Chen squandered potential for greater success that was already paid for and set up for him.

A lot of people will say that BB10 never had a chance at the platform race, but the truth is that it kind of stopped developing with Chen coming on board and it still sells devices. Who knows how the platform would have distinguished itself with proper investment and leadership? We might have seen it on smart TVs and in tablets and licensed and very, very profitable, but that future looks dimmer and dimmer the longer BlackBerry's board waits to fire John Chen. Chen's devices are designed to increase margins from people who read CB without actually building the platform and that's a real shame and frankly a bad joke on us.

BlackBerry 10.4 or whatever the next iteration is, needs major upgrades in many areas and new, differentiating features, but all I'm hearing about is a potential hypervisor VM for Android running on BB10. Let's hope there's more. BlackBerry can't be great again as a MDM company because MDM just isn't greatness and I have no interest in continuing to cheer for a company that is more about Chen's comfort zone than about leading in mobile.
    cgk, eyesopen1111, AYC2112 and 1 others like this.
    07-26-15 01:58 PM
    The problem with that is BlackBerry is notorious for launching new devices without any bump in specs- actually, they have a precedent of downgrading new devices...look at this:

Q10 was followed up by the anemic q5
    Z30 was followed by the Leap
    Passport was followed by the classic.

To get a 4 device per year cycle, they need to break this trend, set a baseline for each device, and upgrade everything.

Posted via CB10
    seems like we're going further into downgrade... at this rate the slider should be below Q5 specs...
    07-26-15 01:59 PM
    Unless it's running android, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to assume the device will be anything other than a flop. I don't like that it's true, but the precedent has already been set for BB10, every device has flopped, dramatically. So there's nothing to look forward to with sales unless the device is entirely different, and a slider is not the only difference. A slider with BB10 will get nothing other than laughs from the mainstream.
    BB10 needs a differentiating feature set. Basically, it needs a strong reason for people, primarily prosumers and enterprise purchasers, to say "An iPhone is cool, but I really need a BlackBerry to do this." So far, it doesn't have that and John Chen has basically ended BB10 development with almost everyone BlackBerry assembled on the BB10 team gone or reassigned.

I don't see Android as a differentiator. It's more of the same. "We do what our competitors do, but with greater security and some nice implementation," is what has made BB10 a difficult sale to date. People can and should buy a OnePlus 2 instead of a BlackBerry running Android. Even Sammy failed to meet market expectations and got downgraded because they are on Android. Android is a very, very hard platform to compete in. Pretty much no one makes a lot of money, but Google, which doesn't really make devices and just endorses through the Nexus brand, does okay. The money is in the platform. Only an ***** would think that BlackBerry should give up its platform to be about "secured Android." They'd need to sell tens of millions of more devices to be just where they are with BB10 right now.
    07-26-15 02:09 PM
    Everyone here just kills me, always finding ways to make negative remarks about Chen. This guy has a history of doing good things for other companies that were in similar situations as BB. Just because many feel to see past his choices or strategy, or why he is doing things they way he was doing them! Had it not been for Chen, BB probably would not even existed anymore to even be making these posts.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions which is what a forum is all about, but we should really wait until this all plays out until we can honestly say anything about him. Sure I agree he has made some poor decisions in my opinion too but everyone is so quick to blast here as if they could run the company any better. He is doing what he needs to do for the long term. Rome was not built in a day and he has even admitted that it is taking longer then anticipated. When you have a brand as tarnished as BB is, he's doing all he possibly can I am sure
    07-26-15 02:15 PM
    Wow. Where are you. I have not seen one Classic or Passport in the wild. I travel from Wisconsin to California. .

If they continue with BB keyboard garbage then BB/Chen deserve the failure. Along with all those that think likewise. .

Via my HTC One M9...
    Here in Nigeria. Not yours in US brainwashed with brick phones. Passport is one of the best phone in the world.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 02:26 PM
108 12345