07-28-15 01:34 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    The Classic should have never been made and the only correct phone for an initial launch would have been the Z30 (or any other better touchscreen device). .
    Maybe not. It certainly seems to not be generating profits. But then in the Fox Business interview with Chen two of the three or four reporters revealed they use Classics in addition to their iPhones. I am thinking the only thing BB has consistently been hearing from their enterprise customers is that they still need PKB devices. But nonetheless the numbers are very small.

Likewise there seems to also be a niche of all touch BlackBerry 10 fans. Another niche that's too small a market.

Not a good situation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-25-15 01:02 PM
    Blackberry can produce the world's greatest phone but if people don't even know it exists, it's going to flop.

The Passport was the perfect opportunity to market aggressively and they failed miserably. People's first comment on a phone this odd and out of the box shouldn't be "what is that phone?".
    crackberry_geek and gfondeur like this.
    07-25-15 01:26 PM
    Chens ignorance as to how buying cycles work, what customers want, not his personal preferences, the half baked Droid player and the lack of good BB10 apps all pile up as a big fail. The ignorant adherence to physical keyboards reminds me of Mike L and his major blunders. Another leader that lives on another plant.

Via my HTC One M9...
    07-25-15 01:46 PM
    How many phones a year do you think Apple produces?

Posted with my  Classic
    Blackberry has copied/imitated Apple countless times since the iPhone and how has that worked out?

- Let's build a touch OS
    - Let's use a unique OS for each OEM business model
    - Let's overprice and underspec our phones to boost profit margins
    - Let's sell our devices at a premium price because we're a premium brand
    - Let's focus on the Western world where Apple is so popular
    - Let's make a tablet

How many times must BBRY fall on its face to realize that it's not Apple? Apple is an anomaly. Many competitors and other companies have tried copying its business practices and they always fail.

At best, BBRY could have aspired to be a LG or Samsung. At the present, it's looking a lot more like Palm or Nokia, though.
    07-25-15 01:56 PM
    Going off of statements made recently and a bit further back my best guess is that BB will source out the low end stuff for enterprise. We will probably then see the slider, classic and possibly the passport living on with help from samsung. I don't see anymore full touch devices from BB. The slider will have to be enough.

07-25-15 04:04 PM
    Yeah, but Apple does a lot more than make iPhones. No hardware company just makes one or two devices per year unless they are the category leader.
    Yes but I don't base my purchase of phones on what BlackBerry does outside of making phones so why would what Apple does outside of making phones factor in to buying a phone? If both make two phones a year...you aren't waiting longer to upgrade with BlackBerry than if you went iPhone. And BlackBerry's two phones per year I guarantee will have more differences to them than the two iPhones....iPhone 7 and then a slightly upgraded iPhone 7 plus or 7s coming next

Posted with my  Classic
    07-25-15 04:10 PM
    Blackberry has copied/imitated Apple countless times since the iPhone and how has that worked out?

- Let's build a touch OS
    - Let's use a unique OS for each OEM business model
    - Let's overprice and underspec our phones to boost profit margins
    - Let's sell our devices at a premium price because we're a premium brand
    - Let's focus on the Western world where Apple is so popular
    - Let's make a tablet

How many times must BBRY fall on its face to realize that it's not Apple? Apple is an anomaly. Many competitors and other companies have tried copying its business practices and they always fail.

At best, BBRY could have aspired to be a LG or Samsung. At the present, it's looking a lot more like Palm or Nokia, though.
    You must have missed my point. I was saying the fact that BlackBerry was potentially going to only produce two phones annually was no reason to have to jump to iPhone.

But I would say at least in response to one of your points, the times we are in demand touch screen devices. All new smartphones have them, tablets of course, even PC's now.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-25-15 04:14 PM
    Going off of statements made recently and a bit further back my best guess is that BB will source out the low end stuff for enterprise. We will probably then see the slider, classic and possibly the passport living on with help from samsung. I don't see anymore full touch devices from BB. The slider will have to be enough.

I'll be surprised if we see a Passport follow up. Most likely there will be a Classic with touch sensitive keyboard and better-ish specs, the slider, and then any pure full touch fans will be directed to Samsung + BlackBerry Experience apps.

They just can't keep making hardware at these local-bakery-like volumes.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 04:15 PM
    I'll be surprised if we see a Passport follow up. Most likely there will be a Classic with touch sensitive keyboard and better-ish specs, the slider, and then any pure full touch fans will be directed to Samsung + BlackBerry Experience apps.

Posted via CB10
    I believe Chen has mentioned being aware of a complaint that the Passport was too difficult for one handed use? Not 100% on that

Posted with my  Classic
    07-25-15 04:23 PM
    One phone is enough if it is successful.

If it is successful, they will make more.

You can't look at any of this as "final." The situation is fluid.

I say scrap the junk phones anyway.
    how can one phone be successful if it's got a physical kb?
    not everyone who owns a BB currently wants that!
    let's hope they "plan" to create an all touch device.
    07-25-15 05:46 PM
    You must have missed my point. I was saying the fact that BlackBerry was potentially going to only produce two phones annually was no reason to have to jump to iPhone.

But I would say at least in response to one of your points, the times we are in demand touch screen devices. All new smartphones have them, tablets of course, even PC's now.

Posted with my  Classic
    And as I said, a move to 1-2 devices a year, implies a lot for the rest of the handset business.

Downscaling to a point where the handset division isn't sustainable anymore is the obvious next step.

Developers all but abandoned BB10 and thus, having only 2 devices a year will never inspire any dev interest again.

It also means that BlackBerry doesn't believe in the success of their handset business themselves anymore.

The whole situation is as such, that it's irrational to stick with Blackberry for the long term.
    I want a slider and that's pretty much it. I'll even buy it if it comes out, but going further than that doesn't make sense.

Since I don't like Android, and BB10 is basically dead already, in terms of future development, what's the point of sticking with Blackberry?
    The announcement to only make 2 phones a year was just the nail in the coffin for me, because it's obvious what it means for the future of BlackBerry's hardware division.

Therefore, such an announcement is a pretty good reason to switch platforms sooner than later.

Posted via CB10
    Which is another reason why the 2 phones a year is simply nuts.

BlackBerry won't sell more phones through producing less...
    The demand must be so incredibly bad for BlackBerry devices currently that it's not even funny anymore.
    But given their extremely bad product portfolio, it doesn't exactly come off as a surprise.
    07-25-15 05:50 PM
    I've seen so many Classic in the wild you would think that BlackBerry was back in regular production, obviously that's no the case.

I think with the slider they are going to try and get all users:

- The keyboard loyalist
    - Large screen users
    - App fiends

I for one, would definitely make such a BlackBerry device my next purchase after having owned a iPhone 6 Plus but the battery life would have to be the same or better.
    07-25-15 05:50 PM
    Blackberry can produce the world's greatest phone but if people don't even know it exists, it's going to flop.
    But BlackBerry hasn't even produced what most regular folks consider to be even one of the world's better phones in many many years. We like em. We love em. Just us BB fans.

So throwing marketing dollars behind something most folks are dead set against just burns cash.

As I have said before. I have shown literally probably 30 to 50 friends and coworkers my phones since 2009. I mean close up demos that blow away any 30 second ad. Guess how many have bought ANY BlackBerry. You got it. Zero. Zilch.

07-25-15 06:58 PM
    Make three a year:

1. Slider device
    2. 5.1" full touch screen device
    3. Reasonably sized 4-row physical keyboard device (two variants with or without trackpad)

All pretty good higher end specs. Not necessary flagship specs. A-, A ... not needing A+ parts.

Simple
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-25-15 07:43 PM
    Yes but I don't base my purchase of phones on what BlackBerry does outside of making phones so why would what Apple does outside of making phones factor in to buying a phone?
    Why would ANY software company just make 1 or 2 phones per year and no other hardware? That would be like SnapChat making a couple smartphones a year with their own OS except that SnapChat has a lot more customers and market cap to play around with. Some people, here, are going to be surprised and disappointed when John Chen decides that the economics don't support making BlackBerry smartphones. They shouldn't be.
    07-25-15 07:51 PM
    I can't see BlackBerry leaving hardware any time soon. Even if hardware continues to drop its going to bottom off and in its current state BB can't handle losing all that revenue right now even if that division of the company is shut down.
    07-25-15 08:56 PM
    the amount of time and resources they put into making the Classic, Leap, this new Dallas device, Q5 and even Z3 - they could have made two flagships together with the Z30 and could have branched off from there. We could have all done without the Porsche design (albeit only 2 exist) who knows how much that costed unnecessarily to make. WIth proper marketing it seems like a no brainer... what they did was NO marketing- how tf did they think that was going to fly?

lack of properly allocated resources... something they are obviously doing now but should have and could have done while the PlayBook was being developed.
    07-25-15 10:23 PM
    If we only get one or two phones a year I would like to see a hybrid Passport/Classic device that maintains the Classic's design with a slightly larger screen and the touch-sensitive keyboard of the Passport. The second phone has to be the slider, as that is the full-touch high-end device BlackBerry needs to compete in today's consumer-driven smartphone market (even the enterprise space smartphone is consumer-driven).
    07-26-15 12:07 AM
    Well, time to order an iPhone 6S+.
    Sad....

In another interview he said that they want to make only 1-2 phones a year.
    Well, time to say farewell to BlackBerry hardware as a whole, in the near future.

The slider running Android *might* actually help BlackBerry to sell the phone, so let's hope the slider comes with the robot OS.
    A BB10 slider is DOA. So if that device will be the benchmark if it is worth to stay in the handset business, I'd argue that BlackBerry shouldn't even try.

This is probably the worst possible news for the hardware division I have heard since the 2 devices per year thing.
    Saying that you can get the Phone as a professional doesn't inspire confidence either...

Thanks for posting the story!
    If blackberry could just make one keyboard phone properly, they'd be alright. Tons of QC issues, weak specs, and half-baked design are what have set them back.

Apple makes basically one phone a year. The 6 and 6+ are basically the same thing, but before that, it's been one a year (the C was a repackaged 5).

So if Apple can do one phone a year, why can't BB focus on one a year?

The 9900 was their bread and butter, the Q10 was almost.

Just put out a powerful keyboard phone with a 3.75" screen and good QC. A smaller, 4-row passport.

Just get one thing right instead of 4 things half-right/half-wrong (which is what they're doing now).
    07-26-15 12:32 AM
    I have a few simple thoughts on this.

They need consumers too to sell enough devices.

If you can't offer the same app variety like Google or Apple than you must offer better specs to be interesting.

The vast majority of consumers (and business) WANT a VKB device, so they have to offer a VKB device.

I hope to see the following:

1) All current BB 10 devices will be further supported, making them the low-end entry (or backup) level devices

2) One high end VKB device per year

3) One high end PKB device per year, can be the Passport.

4) One high end tablet every 2 years to complete the ecosystem

PS:
    I have never considered the LEAP and CLASSIC as new devices, and while I understand why they launched these two it's a miracle how they could be unprofitable.
    Compared to other vendors who are losing money in the smartphone business, BlackBerry had no R&D costs for the LEAP/CLASSIC and they sell relatively low specs for relatively high prices.
    07-26-15 03:37 AM
    Leap was a stupid device and still is. They market it for the person with a startup????? And what is the point of a corporation upgrading their fleet with it when it is just a hybrid between a z30 and z10 with no real upgrades at all.
    Leap is no offspring of the Z10! It's an over glorified Z3 plain and simple. The marketing for it the message alone is a laughing stock! The demographics they're trying to target ate griping their iOS/Android device enforcing BYOD or its evolution just like the previous generation, mine held steadfast to our BlackBerry's. Times are not a changing they done changed!

Problem which we've seen the past 5 financial quarters at BlackBerry is going from 2.5 to adjusted Gaap that Saving spent money does NOT equal money gained. That was investments and further loan ownership.

Posted via CB10
    mathking606 likes this.
    07-26-15 03:48 AM
    To my understanding. All these phones that blackberry made since Chen arrived are beautiful phones! Forget it from Passport to Z3 to the Leap and Classic. All these cheap and flagships andriod phones and apple phones are no better than them but only one thing. Which is the 'app' the likes of instagram, Snapchat and all that killed those phones off. I bet with Google play store and proper marketing to let the audience know about BB10 and it's features. Those great phones should have been successful.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 04:46 AM
    A phone that works and efficiently does all the things I want it to do, and which provides a delightful user experience and the apps I need is fine by me. Whatever mind share is, that phone needs to be able to win that over. Just ask the millions of people using expensive iPhones to make and receive calls, send IMs, and play Candy Crush, simply because they do not use all the other features and functionalities that techy minded people think are soooo necessary.

Of course, the functionalities not used by the millions of users are used by others, so I'm not in any way dismissing their importance. I used my PP for quite a number of things that make my personal and professional life easier. The point is some of these "average users" who do not need the "high-end" functionalities buy the phone because getting it was already in their minds.
    07-26-15 06:24 AM
    I can see two devices a year for the next two years. If bb10 isn't dead by then they can push more. Slider in this fall, passport or full screen in spring, upgraded classic next fall, etc.

If BlackBerry figues out full android emulation with play and the ability to update regularly to the latest version. They need to release a tablet with no more than 10k in stock at a time.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 06:26 AM
    Unless it's running android, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to assume the device will be anything other than a flop. I don't like that it's true, but the precedent has already been set for BB10, every device has flopped, dramatically. So there's nothing to look forward to with sales unless the device is entirely different, and a slider is not the only difference. A slider with BB10 will get nothing other than laughs from the mainstream.
    07-26-15 07:40 AM
108 1234 ...