12-18-13 10:10 AM
160 ... 34567
tools
    Well until RIM comes out with their own line of Fart Apps (perhaps a sophisticated fart..silent but deadly meant for the boardrooms) then the iBoys will stick with what they got

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Truer words have not been said yet.
    First, let's not tempt the trolls. Their a$$holeness is not needed.
    Second, the iPad/Apple fanbois will come up with the not-enough-apps because there isn't anything else they can say. In specs, it's spot on.
    Third, let them huddle around in their basements wringing their hands and trying to come up with their predictable posts. I don't care one flying fig about their opinion. I'm almost certain I'm buying this puppy because 1) I'm not a Jobsian cult follower 2) the iPad ultimately disappointed me 3) it has what I want.

Let's be happy and enjoy this time without inviting those id1iots to ruin our fun.
    09-28-10 03:01 AM
    This thread is on page 7 and you plus one other are the only negatives - I'd say it's off to a good start. Also, I've seen members in other threads mention they'd love to get their hands on it that haven't posted here. Definitely off to a good start.
    As far as tools and support, is this what you had in mind?
    Call me a troll if you want... I'm not being negative... I'm being real. The Storm was marketed as the first "consumer" blackberry and it was far short of expectations of being an iphone killer or a even a clone. The hardware sounds solid, but we all know software is what going to make these devices work. Considering the use of Adobe air will help in porting Android apps since Apple will not allow apps created in Adobe on there app store. Again nothing negative... just wouldn't want to throw money down on a potential paperweight like my storm was.
    09-28-10 03:46 AM
    Call me a troll if you want... I'm not being negative... I'm being real. The Storm was marketed as the first "consumer" blackberry and it was far short of expectations of being an iphone killer or a even a clone. The hardware sounds solid, but we all know software is what going to make these devices work. Considering the use of Adobe air will help in porting Android apps since Apple will not allow apps created in Adobe on there app store. Again nothing negative... just wouldn't want to throw money down on a potential paperweight like my storm was.
    Far from trollishness is your posts. You're addressing concerns and having reservations, I can respect that; I'd be an a$$ if I didn't. I was trying to send a ray of sunshine in my own bent way.
    Last edited by genomos; 09-28-10 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Dvorak layout confusion.
    09-28-10 03:54 AM
    And regarding those two (two!) posts - you and mke are both have a "hold on here" mentality as opposed to the true trolls who have yet (knock on wood) to regroup and try and nay-say the Playbook. That's why I said those are the only negative posts, the rest of us are a bit jazzed up about the whole thing.
    09-28-10 04:04 AM
    I think it looks GREAT and hope it turns out that way, just wished they could've blown me away with a phone on these specs.
    09-28-10 05:47 AM
    I am looking forward to playing Pinball Deluxe on this bad boy.

Pricing is going to be very interesting. I have a feeling I can sneak my way into a 16gb version. I suspect the 32gb might be a little too $$ for me.

We'll see. I think the form factor is great. At 7 inches it certainly is smaller than the iPad. But I think that is a good thing. And it is bigger than the base Kindle models. Could take some sales away from Amazon, but Amazon is already onboard and porting over a Kindle app for the Playbook. This ensures they don't lose readers.

This device looks so good!!!

I haven't been this excited about a pre-release device since.....um......uh.....can't think of anything....

09-28-10 06:24 AM
    I must admit, I'm pretty jazzed up.
    All I need now is battery related info- life? user replaceable?
    I was also wondering whether I will get the 9780 now that the PlayBook is announced...methinks I shall get both.
    I revel in my out of control geekiness....

09-28-10 06:40 AM
    BTW, does anyone know what the battery life projections are for the Playbook? I'm a little worried as this is a dual-core processor, I do hope that it'll be able to at least match the iPad's endurance. While I don't like many aspects of the iPad, its battery life is pretty impressive when compared to similar devices out there. I am aware the Playbook is far more powerful, but I just hope it doesn't come with a noticeable penalty in battery life?

Paul
    Have you SEEN a teardown of a playbook?

Its like iPhone sized. Then they put a huge battery.

09-28-10 06:47 AM
    On the battery - Kevin said it was not a replaceable battery. Sealed like iPhone or iPad.

And the iPad has 2 batteries not 1.

The chip that is in this puppy (Armada 628 going by some posts from CX) claims a low power profile since it should only clock at what is needed. So you won't have 2 cores clocking at 1ghz to open your mail. Also with RIM's push technology where the device is receiving updates and not going out looking for them, it should help a lot. With the SDK getting better and RIM really working with Dev's on how to use Push the apps should not even drain too much.

So I would say that it won't be a Bold or Curve and run 48 hrs or more but it should last a good solid work day.

09-28-10 07:10 AM
    On the battery - Kevin said it was not a replaceable battery. Sealed like iPhone or iPad.

And the iPad has 2 batteries not 1.

The chip that is in this puppy (Armada 628 going by some posts from CX) claims a low power profile since it should only clock at what is needed. So you won't have 2 cores clocking at 1ghz to open your mail. Also with RIM's push technology where the device is receiving updates and not going out looking for them, it should help a lot. With the SDK getting better and RIM really working with Dev's on how to use Push the apps should not even drain too much.

So I would say that it won't be a Bold or Curve and run 48 hrs or more but it should last a good solid work day.

The 628 is 1.5Ghz the 618, and 610 are both 1Ghz processors, so I suspect one of them is being used not the NEW 628

I'm disappointed that the battery is sealed, would have been nice to be able to buy a battery extension even if it makes the pad 18mm thick
    09-28-10 07:15 AM
    Not so fast... the hardware isn't out yet, you still have to get developers (independents) on board, and the question of tools and support still remain. When I see how developers embrace it I will have a better outlook on it. Its also going to need to hit a broad user base to get developers wanting to develop for it. The ease of app development is whats brought the app stores of Apple and Android to the 1 and 2.

The specs and video look promising, but marketing hype can only carry a product so far. No one has had a hands on yet so we still need to wait til we see a final product.
    This is a good point. We should all take a deep breath here. It does look awesome and I love that RIM went balls deep with the hardware. However why were the devices all sealed in glass after the keynote. No hands on yet. So it can't be that close to ready.

And the SDK updates look good, but for now there is 1 device on BB6. Until there are a lot more devices out there running BB6, or this tablet drops and sells like hot cakes, developers won't spend too much time here. The refreshes need to drop and BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO THIS NEW OS DOWN THE ROAD and RIM will start seeing a lot of apps migrate to app world.

2011 could be a year that RIM regains a lot of respect, or the year that we start engraving "too little, too late" on their grave stone. I think it will be a good year for RIM but time will only tell.

09-28-10 07:17 AM
    The 628 is 1.5Ghz the 618, and 610 are both 1Ghz processors, so I suspect one of them is being used not the NEW 628

I'm disappointed that the battery is sealed, would have been nice to be able to buy a battery extension even if it makes the pad 18mm thick
    You could be right, but they also may have under clocked it to save on battery and heat. Also they refer to it as Multi Core and not Dual Core.

Either way it is a big step up for RIM.

Sealing the battery could be a way of saying 'you won't need to pull it!'.

09-28-10 07:21 AM
    Interesting....the General Services Administration (GSA) just introduced something called Apps.gov.

It will be interesting to see what they offer....can't wait to get to the office.
    I wonder if there would be internal apps compatible with BBerries and now the PlayBook....interesting.

09-28-10 07:30 AM

Nice! I like the way you think!

09-28-10 07:42 AM
    You could be right, but they also may have under clocked it to save on battery and heat. Also they refer to it as Multi Core and not Dual Core.

Either way it is a big step up for RIM.

That's Bad Marketing

Even if you fixed a former problem, you never bring light to the problem you USED to have, sealing up the Battery is a cost savings, and faster development time most likely, less moving parts, less dies to cut,

but Still makes me sad
    09-28-10 07:48 AM
    Yes, we're serious. And so is RIM.

• 7″ LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
    • BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
    • 1 GHz dual-core processor
    • 1 GB RAM
    • Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
    • Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    • HDMI video output
    • Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    • Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
    • Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
    • Ultra thin and portable:
    • Measures 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″ (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
    • Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
    • Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets.
    • RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.

If I were to get this, there would be no increase in anything I pay monthly. Well, for now; no tiered data plans on VZW as of this post. If I wanted to use it off WiFi, I'd have to tether it to my device. And there's an app for that.
    Errrrrr! I believe we are saying the same thing!

09-28-10 08:01 AM
    And regarding those two (two!) posts - you and mke are both have a "hold on here" mentality as opposed to the true trolls who have yet (knock on wood) to regroup and try and nay-say the Playbook. That's why I said those are the only negative posts, the rest of us are a bit jazzed up about the whole thing.
    DUDE!!! Please re-read my post and comprehend. I was speaking to those who see the lack of 3G or 4G built in as a negative. Thanks for your time...........

09-28-10 08:08 AM
    lol, i got my android phone, with free wifi tethering. Got my iPod touch for all my portable gaming, and media needs. I guess i need to get a Playbook so i can keep up with my business needs..... lol

But seriously this looks to have the "hope of promise", i just hope RIM gets their act together with Applications that will encourage the masses to want to use this over the Android, iOS, or Windows 7 versions.
    09-28-10 08:26 AM
    I hope it comes out on Sprint's network because I would really like to buy one. Looks really cool
    09-28-10 10:00 AM
    I hope it comes out on Sprint's network because I would really like to buy one. Looks really cool
    I think initially it will be WiFi only and hence you could use it as a companion device for your blackberry. May be thay will have the 3G/ 4G Playbooks for those market.
    09-28-10 10:09 AM
    I think initially it will be WiFi only and hence you could use it as a companion device for your blackberry. May be thay will have the 3G/ 4G Playbooks for those market.
    I don't know if I have WiFi on my 8330
    09-28-10 10:28 AM
    You do not.
    09-28-10 10:39 AM
    This is a good point. We should all take a deep breath here. It does look awesome and I love that RIM went balls deep with the hardware. However why were the devices all sealed in glass after the keynote. No hands on yet. So it can't be that close to ready.

And the SDK updates look good, but for now there is 1 device on BB6. Until there are a lot more devices out there running BB6, or this tablet drops and sells like hot cakes, developers won't spend too much time here. The refreshes need to drop and BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO THIS NEW OS DOWN THE ROAD and RIM will start seeing a lot of apps migrate to app world.

2011 could be a year that RIM regains a lot of respect, or the year that we start engraving "too little, too late" on their grave stone. I think it will be a good year for RIM but time will only tell.

I'm glad someone else see's what I'm seeing... lol

Anyways the device is awesome looking and definitely has current gen hardware about it. Hopefully this forward thinking of hardware trickles down to the phones. I wouldn't mind going back to a BB again if it got back on par with it's competitors in the smartphone space.
    09-28-10 10:51 AM
    doesn't it use bluetooth to pair?
    09-28-10 10:52 AM
    With the specs this has and the 1080p out I'm curious to see what the game companies come out with for this and future tablets. This has higher specs then your average computers did back in '00-'01. I think I bought one in '00 that had a p3 550mhz with 128mb ram and a 20 gig HDD; all that for almost $2,000 .

Would this have the chops to run games that you would have needed a desktop for 8-10 years ago?

It would be pretty cool if you could carry around games comparable to early versions of COD or EA sports titles on this and play them on the TV at your friends house.
    09-28-10 11:16 AM
160 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD