12-18-13 10:10 AM
160 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Well until RIM comes out with their own line of Fart Apps (perhaps a sophisticated fart..silent but deadly meant for the boardrooms) then the iBoys will stick with what they got

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/792
    09-27-10 08:57 PM
    In reference to what some people said about only being able to connect wirelessly to a BB phone, it's not really a big deal as more and more Android phones are coming with the wireless hotspot feature which will allow ANY wifi device (including the Playbook of course!) to connect wirelessly via wifi.
    Yeah I think you missed the point...from what it sounds like, you can connect to your BB phone and view/use apps from your phone on your Playbook; BBM, email, calendar, etc.

But yes, if need be you could connect both of them to Wifi via some Android phones.
    09-27-10 08:58 PM
    BTW, does anyone know what the battery life projections are for the Playbook? I'm a little worried as this is a dual-core processor, I do hope that it'll be able to at least match the iPad's endurance. While I don't like many aspects of the iPad, its battery life is pretty impressive when compared to similar devices out there. I am aware the Playbook is far more powerful, but I just hope it doesn't come with a noticeable penalty in battery life?

Paul
    09-27-10 09:00 PM
    Wow..how have I made it thus far thru life without this app. This will be a gamechanger..

09-27-10 09:02 PM
    BTW, does anyone know what the battery life projections are for the Playbook? I'm a little worried as this is a dual-core processor, I do hope that it'll be able to at least match the iPad's endurance. While I don't like many aspects of the iPad, its battery life is pretty impressive when compared to similar devices out there. I am aware the Playbook is far more powerful, but I just hope it doesn't come with a noticeable penalty in battery life?

Paul
    Nope no mention of that yet.

Since no one could actually play with the device, I'd say the software and maybe the hardware are still in their infancy and subject to change.
    09-27-10 09:02 PM
    Wow..how have I made it thus far thru life without this app. This will be a gamechanger..

Just pointing out that you're throwing stones from a glass house...all platforms have those stupid fart apps, even Blackberry.

I know tons of people with iPhones and just as many with Android and RIM phones...none of them own any fart apps despite all three platforms offering quite a bit of them so I still don't quite get what point you were trying to make.
    09-27-10 09:03 PM
    Yeah I think you missed the point...from what it sounds like, you can connect to your BB phone and view/use apps from your phone on your Playbook; BBM, email, calendar, etc.

But yes, if need be you could connect both of them to Wifi via some Android phones.
    Not really, some of the people have expressed reservations that they can only connect wirelessly (while on the road) to a BB 3G phone, and not any other type of phone. Many of the new Android phones have the wireless hot spot feature which eliminates their concerns - this way they aren't limited to wireless 3G connections only when they have BB phones.
    09-27-10 09:04 PM
    So who gets the Exclusive with playboy I mean playbook ATT again? Yuck if that's the case..

09-27-10 09:05 PM
    So who gets the Exclusive with playboy I mean playbook ATT again? Yuck if that's the case..

Since the device doesn't have wireless service, I doubt AT&T would be interested in selling it. I presume it will sell at standard electronics outlets like Best Buy or Fry's.
    09-27-10 09:18 PM
    I would say NO

it says to get PUSH access you would need to tether it via BT to your Blackberry. so for BIS services you will need to have it connected to your Blackberry so NO BBM on it's own'

I personally think that is a great idea. I was wondering how they would manage multiple PIN's with BBM, would I have to add everyone a second or 3rd time in BBM, I already have people that have both my BB pins on their BBM list and I have both theirs, if 2 people had 2 BB's and a Playbook that had it's own pin each person would have 3 BBM contacts for their friend, would be ridiculous!
    I would imagine it has it's own PIN if only for device locating, then you tie it to your BB's pin so even when they are not directly connected they can stay paired and synced.
    09-27-10 09:18 PM
    Since the device doesn't have wireless service, I doubt AT&T would be interested in selling it. I presume it will sell at standard electronics outlets like Best Buy or Fry's.
    Wouldn't this ostensibly mean greater customer base too? Sales/marketing - not my strong points.
    09-27-10 09:29 PM
    not being exclusive to a carrier make the playbook more attractive to most consumers... knowing that they don't have to sign up another contract with AT&T or any carrier for that matter.
    that's the problem with the ipad 3G..
    09-27-10 10:36 PM
    I'm not a big tablet guy but what is this really bringing to the table moreso than the other tablet manufactuers? The Android tablets as well as probably what Apple will bring to the table with the next gen of iPad's seem pretty similar. It is very nice looking and the OS is definitely a lot nicer than what I figured they would put out, but it seems like this just brings them to status quo, if that. Can someone enlighten me?
    09-27-10 10:53 PM
    Ok I don't get it! Why would anyone want to pay for another 3G contract!?! So now you are paying $85 plus for your phone, $124+ for cable and internet, $60 for your hardwired landline, and now anywhere from $15-25 for ANOTHER contract!!!!!!!!! To those who say "no 3G/4G.....fail." Are you serious!?!

Anyway I hope RIM brings their tablet closer to the netbook spec and not just rely on bloody "apps."
    Last edited by mke67; 09-27-10 at 11:23 PM.
    09-27-10 11:16 PM
    not being exclusive to a carrier make the playbook more attractive to most consumers... knowing that they don't have to sign up another contract with AT&T or any carrier for that matter.
    that's the problem with the ipad 3G..
    There are different versions of iPad including ones with WiFi only. The ones with 3G can only use AT&T, but they are month to month without contract.
    09-27-10 11:42 PM
    I think the device is beautiful, but I have my doubts about this tablet and QNX . Considering the OS is unproven at this point, my concern is development. BBs are not the easiest to develop for and the app market proves that. A device such as this will need a strong app market to really catch on beyond the Blackberry faithful and enterprise use. I'd really like to see how RIM can provide strong development support for this device, because developers could make it or break it when it comes to competition.
    09-27-10 11:44 PM
    nice one RIM! really nice!!

i wonder how much will it cost?
    and umm how about a phone high-spec'd phone RIM? a phone with mindblowing specs like this!

right?
    09-27-10 11:56 PM
    I think the device is beautiful, but I have my doubts about this tablet and QNX . Considering the OS is unproven at this point, my concern is development. BBs are not the easiest to develop for and the app market proves that. A device such as this will need a strong app market to really catch on beyond the Blackberry faithful and enterprise use. I'd really like to see how RIM can provide strong development support for this device, because developers could make it or break it when it comes to competition.
    You should research before you make statements.....

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-announced

"An OS Built for Developers

The Neutrino based microkernel architecture in the BlackBerry Tablet OS delivers exceptional performance, high scalability, Common Criteria EAL 4+ security, and support for industry standard tools that are already familiar to hundreds of thousands of developers. The OS is fully POSIX compliant enabling easy portability of C-based code, supports Open GL for 2D and 3D graphics intensive applications like gaming, and will run applications built in Adobe Mobile AIR as well as the new BlackBerry WebWorksTM app platform announced today (which will allow apps to be written to run on BlackBerry PlayBook tablets as well as BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry 6). The BlackBerry Tablet OS will also support Java enabling developers to easily bring their existing BlackBerry 6 Java applications to the BlackBerry Tablet OS environment."

09-28-10 12:03 AM
    nice one RIM! really nice!!

i wonder how much will it cost?
    and umm how about a phone high-spec'd phone RIM? a phone with mindblowing specs like this!

right?
    Patience little one....its coming.

09-28-10 12:05 AM
    Just pointing out that you're throwing stones from a glass house...all platforms have those stupid fart apps, even Blackberry.

I know tons of people with iPhones and just as many with Android and RIM phones...none of them own any fart apps despite all three platforms offering quite a bit of them so I still don't quite get what point you were trying to make.
    He's a joker....and you're FAR too serious to be interested in fart apps lol
    09-28-10 12:09 AM

The Neutrino based microkernel architecture in the BlackBerry Tablet OS delivers exceptional performance, high scalability, Common Criteria EAL 4+ security, and support for industry standard tools that are already familiar to hundreds of thousands of developers. The OS is fully POSIX compliant enabling easy portability of C-based code, supports Open GL for 2D and 3D graphics intensive applications like gaming, and will run applications built in Adobe Mobile AIR as well as the new BlackBerry WebWorksTM app platform announced today (which will allow apps to be written to run on BlackBerry PlayBook tablets as well as BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry 6). The BlackBerry Tablet OS will also support Java enabling developers to easily bring their existing BlackBerry 6 Java applications to the BlackBerry Tablet OS environment."

Not to mention apps can be developed for Flash and HTML5.
    09-28-10 12:14 AM
    Ok I don't get it! Why would anyone want to pay for another 3G contract!?! So now you are paying $85 plus for your phone, $124+ for cable and internet, $60 for your hardwired landline, and now anywhere from $15-25 for ANOTHER contract!!!!!!!!! To those who say "no 3G/4G.....fail." Are you serious!?!

Anyway I hope RIM brings their tablet closer to the netbook spec and not just rely on bloody "apps."
    Yes, we're serious. And so is RIM.

• 7″ LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
    • BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
    • 1 GHz dual-core processor
    • 1 GB RAM
    • Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
    • Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    • HDMI video output
    • Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    • Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
    • Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
    • Ultra thin and portable:
    • Measures 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″ (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
    • Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
    • Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets.
    • RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.

If I were to get this, there would be no increase in anything I pay monthly. Well, for now; no tiered data plans on VZW as of this post. If I wanted to use it off WiFi, I'd have to tether it to my device. And there's an app for that.
    09-28-10 12:31 AM

Not so fast... the hardware isn't out yet, you still have to get developers (independents) on board, and the question of tools and support still remain. When I see how developers embrace it I will have a better outlook on it. Its also going to need to hit a broad user base to get developers wanting to develop for it. The ease of app development is whats brought the app stores of Apple and Android to the 1 and 2.

The specs and video look promising, but marketing hype can only carry a product so far. No one has had a hands on yet so we still need to wait til we see a final product.
    09-28-10 02:48 AM
    Not so fast... the hardware isn't out yet, you still have to get developers (independents) on board, and the question of tools and support still remain. When I see how developers embrace it I will have a better outlook on it. Its also going to need to hit a broad user base to get developers wanting to develop for it. The ease of app development is whats brought the app stores of Apple and Android to the 1 and 2.

The specs and video look promising, but marketing hype can only carry a product so far. No one has had a hands on yet so we still need to wait til we see a final product.
    This thread is on page 7 and you plus one other are the only negatives - I'd say it's off to a good start. Also, I've seen members in other threads mention they'd love to get their hands on it that haven't posted here. Definitely off to a good start.
    As far as tools and support, is this what you had in mind?
    09-28-10 02:53 AM

I highly doubt that RIM is going to create a whole new app world for it when they can just beTter the one they have right now and make it compatible with the PlayBook....

A quick update of the existing apps and the ease and capability of to create new apps....I don't think getting developers on board should be too big a problem.

09-28-10 03:00 AM
160 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD