11-23-13 05:48 AM
68 123
tools
    What about now? Is it still dead silence? Because the PR article was posted yesterday. And everyone has been talking bad about BlackBerry sinc 2008 lol. So I think that article deserves some recognition. The coming has been pushing. Obviously it's a fluff piece. It's their damn PR team we are talking about. We aren't going to talk down to them unless we want to keep harming BlackBerry's reputation. I know I don't want to do that.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what you mean...now? There is no discernable marketing effort now - understandably, and communications has always been horrible with BB....particularly during the Heins era - nothing of substance, and a lot of lying. I give them some pass on the latter in regard to the silence - not in regard to the lying and misleading. I give some pass to the silence because quite frankly, if there is nothing at all good happening with your corporation - on any front: relationships, sales, profits, products, etc....then it is hard to say anything of substance.

To be frank, you or I were never capable of harming BB`s reputation on any meaningful scale, and at this point, nobody could possibly harm it in any way. The rest of the world, sees what some of us saw quite a while back - BB as it was: as any significant player in the handset market is toast. Look I understand people here not recognizing that 8 months or 12 months or 24 months ago, but now, they`ve done everything but paint in on the forehead. In fact, they painted: For sale. Super cheap. Below cost. Buy us please, please, please. Then they flung their painted faces at everyone, knocking on the doors of every corporation and financier they could possibly think of. Do you really think their reputation as a viable company could be lowered?
    chr1sny likes this.
    11-22-13 11:50 AM
    What about now? Is it still dead silence? Because the PR article was posted yesterday. And everyone has been talking bad about BlackBerry sinc 2008 lol. So I think that article deserves some recognition. The coming has been pushing. Obviously it's a fluff piece. It's their damn PR team we are talking about. We aren't going to talk down to them unless we want to keep harming BlackBerry's reputation. I know I don't want to do that.

Posted via CB10
    First, I have no idea to what you refer as an: idea. Was it the `COMPLETE SILENCE`` if so, that was simply an illustration, not a suggestion - which is ridiculous anyways, since we can`t go back in time to pre-launch. However, I absolutely stand by that, in fact, the aura of mystery of complete silence would probably have done a more effective job at concentrating hype at launch (of course that too would have ultimately done nothing as the products didn`t deliver). Pre-launch hype did not generate any attention beyond what would have naturally been there - I stand by that.

Finally, I most certainly do not `trust`you - of all posters. Your judgment, and your predictions, have quite frankly been woeful. I have nothing against you as a person, but when it comes to your business sense, your sense of the tech industry, and particularly your judgement when it comes to BB, your history speaks to a person who could not have possibly been more wrong - and you could not have been more assertive in regard to your erroneous proclamations.
    chr1sny likes this.
    11-22-13 11:55 AM
    Sorry, but I'm 100% against that idea.
    As stated, I went to events where at least 50% of attendees were sporting - with no shame - non BlackBerry devices. And I spent time talking with them; what I felt was miles from "anyways I would have been looking at it". Trust me.
    Bro we got problems here.
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 12:03 PM
    First, I have no idea to what you refer as an: idea. Was it the `COMPLETE SILENCE`` if so, that was simply an illustration, not a suggestion - which is ridiculous anyways, since we can`t go back in time to pre-launch. However, I absolutely stand by that, in fact, the aura of mystery of complete silence would probably have done a more effective job at concentrating hype at launch (of course that too would have ultimately done nothing as the products didn`t deliver). Pre-launch hype did not generate any attention beyond what would have naturally been there - I stand by that.

Finally, I most certainly do not `trust`you - of all posters. Your judgment, and your predictions, have quite frankly been woeful. I have nothing against you as a person, but when it comes to your business sense, your sense of the tech industry, and particularly your judgement when it comes to BB, your history speaks to a person who could not have possibly been more wrong - and you could not have been more assertive in regard to your erroneous proclamations.
    Whatever. I use a BB. Period.

Man, something about this community. They never react positively. They keep thinking this company is going out of business or something. I dislike all that talk.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 12:05 PM
    Whatever. I use a BB. Period.

Man, something about this community. They never react positively. They keep thinking this company is going out of business or something. I dislike all that talk.

Posted via CB10
    Use a BB as much as you like. It makes no difference to me! I hope you will always have that option - though I do not think you will.

As to the `community` you struggle to understand, let me make it simple. A guy like you is apparently confused why he sees a lot of `negative` talk (I dislike the term `negative`talk....it frankly polarizes things, is a meaningless, subjective, relative label - and is usually used in lieu of anything substantive). Let me offer two explanations:

1.we are all paid schills, or perhaps we are just people who hate BB, and come here just to talk negatively about BB
    2.it is a reflection of what is really happening, the actual events and fortunes of BB, and we are talking about what has happened, and what is likely to happen

You have free choice to decide which of these explanations is more plausible to you. HINT: look at graph of BB marketshare or stock, over last 5 years. Seriously. Alternately consider BB begging to be bought for a few billion.....or the few million BB10 sales that occurred....or the z10 write-down....or the lack of support from developers....or the acknowledgment of harsh times from CB Kevin or Thor....or the thousands of soon to be unemployed people. Do you think that those things should be ignored, or spun positively...and even if you do....do you think that the negative reaction is probably explainable by those of us who acknowledge that situation, and choose not to pretend it didn`t - or isn`t - happening?

It would be awfully nice if people (in general, not directed at you Otech#cb) who whine about this, would think about these things carefully - and if desired, proceed from that point in discussing it....but I know that won't happen. So....waste of my time typing this.
    chr1sny, Etios, Roo Zilla and 1 others like this.
    11-22-13 12:37 PM
    Use a BB as much as you like. It makes no difference to me! I hope you will always have that option - though I do not think you will.

As to the `community` you struggle to understand, let me make it simple. A guy like you is apparently confused why he sees a lot of `negative` talk (I dislike the term `negative`talk....it frankly polarizes things, is a meaningless, subjective, relative label - and is usually used in lieu of anything substantive). Let me offer two explanations:

1.we are all paid schills, or perhaps we are just people who hate BB, and come here just to talk negatively about BB
    2.it is a reflection of what is really happening, the actual events and fortunes of BB, and we are talking about what has happened, and what is likely to happen

You have free choice to decide which of these explanations is more plausible to you. HINT: look at graph of BB marketshare or stock, over last 5 years. Seriously. Alternately consider BB begging to be bought for a few billion.....or the few million BB10 sales that occurred....or the z10 write-down....or the lack of support from developers....or the acknowledgment of harsh times from CB Kevin or Thor....or the thousands of soon to be unemployed people. Do you think that those things should be ignored, or spun positively...and even if you do....do you think that the negative reaction is probably explainable by those of us who acknowledge that situation, and choose not to pretend it didn`t - or isn`t - happening?

It would be awfully nice if people (in general, not directed at you Otech#cb) who whine about this, would think about these things carefully - and if desired, proceed from that point in discussing it....but I know that won't happen. So....waste of my time typing this.
    Man, I've noticed a continuous problem. Anyone who owns and iPhone or an Android, and hasn't experienced BB10 or anything like it in a while, usually has a negative perception of the company. People who own one, usually have a positive perception and feel that the company doesn't deserve to be in the situation it is in. At least not anymore, but because of everybody in the market is using an iPhone or Android they continue to degrade and talk bad. When the real truth is, the OS is amazing. The device is beautiful. BlackBerry is working hard for us. I don't ignore the market. But that isn't really definitive of the quality of their work. Don't solely judge them by their work. And definitely don't judge them by the negative media. Judge them by your personal experience. And please don't tell me about 5 years ago. We all know about the past.

Trust me, I'm not the blinded one here.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-22-13 at 04:44 PM.
    11-22-13 01:07 PM
    Man, I've noticed a continues problem. Anyone who owns and iPhone or an Android, and haven't experienced BB10 or anything like it in a while. They have a negative perception of the company. People who own one, usually have a positive perception and feel that the company doesn't deserve to be in the situation they are in. Atleast not anymore. But because of everybody in the market is using an iPhone or Android they continue to degrade and talk bad. When the real truth is, the OS is amazing. The device is beautiful. BlackBerry is working hard for us. I don't ignore the market. But that isn't really definitive of the quality of their work. Don't solely judge them by their work. And definitely don't judge them by the negative media. Judge them by your personal experience. And please don't tell me about 5 years ago. We all know about the past.

Trust me, I'm not the blinded one here.

Posted via CB10
    I can only speak with absolute assurance about myself, but I, and I believe most/all in this thread were talking about the business moves/fortunes of BB, and not the merits of bb phones themselves, so while you say you are not the "blinded"one here, I think you may be the one who is confused as to what is really being discussed. This topic came out of an original premise about the merits of the PR division - not about whether the PR's message(which of course is one of BB superiority) is one we agree with or not.

To be frank: there is no connection between your response and my post to which you were ostensibly replying....in simple terms: we aren't even close to being on the same page - this isn't even a conversation.
    m1a1mg and Etios like this.
    11-22-13 02:58 PM
    I can only speak with absolute assurance about myself, but I, and I believe most/all in this thread were talking about the business moves/fortunes of BB, and not the merits of bb phones themselves, so while you say you are not the "blinded"one here, I think you may be the one who is confused as to what is really being discussed. This topic came out of an original premise about the merits of the PR division - not about whether the PR's message(which of course is one of BB superiority) is one we agree with or not.

To be frank: there is no connection between your response and my post to which you were ostensibly replying....in simple terms: we aren't even close to being on the same page - this isn't even a conversation.
    I'm saying the share value is not correctly representing the company's true value to the true BlackBerry user. Now the public's image of BlackBerry is terrible. And simply shouldn't be judged solely based on those merits. In order to see the value, one must learn through experience. Now you claimed I might not always have the option to use my BlackBerry. Where did you come up with that? Using your observations of the stock market. I get that. What if I said this, you may not always have the option to use your iPhone. Is that incorrect because apple stocks are high? Meaning they won't go out of business? I don't think either can be justified solely through stocks. And my point is, consumers don't know what they are missing because they are too stuck to their iPhones or Android. However if one of these people were to switch, the likelihood that they will realize what a toy the iPhone was is high. I am not confused. I am simply trying to instill some knowledge about what is realllllllly going on. Why do many people in India like BlackBerry? Don't tell me it's going down. And don't say it's a phone made for Indians. Haha Just tell my why they might like it, more than the U.S....the large *** population that we have in this country who for some reason doesn't like BlackBerry and has a negative image. And refuses to switch, or atleast needs a lot of convincing.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-22-13 at 04:45 PM.
    11-22-13 03:38 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you guys.... but I'm a paid shill.
    richardat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-22-13 05:13 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you guys.... but I'm a paid shill.
    See, at least you are paid to do it. That's the difference. You get paid lots huh? Like big bucks? Major dinero's? Haha

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:16 PM
    Blackberry is liked in indian maybe becos its less expensive? Im sorry but pls dont compare why blackberry is more famous in india than in the US,You know that every iphone owner could buy a bbry if they want to.
    11-22-13 05:24 PM
    Blackberry is liked in indian maybe becos its less expensive? Im sorry but pls dont compare why blackberry is more famous in india than in the US,You know that every iphone owner could buy a bbry if they want to.
    Lol! It's not a matter of that. And it ain't cheaper there lmao. It's the same!

No, the answer I was looking for is because they know how to use it. They know it's capabilities. They know that it is a cool phone. And that not every single person needs an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:30 PM
    What on earth has CB turned into? Really?

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    11-22-13 05:55 PM
    Oh Dec 20 had better be good.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Its become a place for all the iPhone and Android lovers. They're here to overrun CB, and CB isn't doing much about it. These new people come and act like they've known BlackBerry their whole life. It's is harmful and no one wants to believe me.

And to add on to that, never, ever have I posted on or joined the iMore community. But they are somehow all on here and they're bashing BB community.
    dusan.bukvic likes this.
    11-22-13 06:05 PM
    So is the point of this post that BlackBerry built up a ton of hype prior to the launch, had people believing that they were going to hit a home run and turn things around, and then failed to live up to any of it with the actual BB10 launch? Because that is all I can get out of this and comparing it to where we are today.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-22-13 06:13 PM
    I've been reading... and I forgot what the thread was about. one more time, it turns out to whether BlackBerry will do or die or if x has bigger toy than y.

Same language, same words, circonvolutions and elliptic reasoning... always in the same direction, in fact, no direction. Circles.

I feel old sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 06:15 PM
    I looked around that PR Daily website. It seems that this year they will give out something close to 200-some 'awards' in different categories. To nominate yourself costs $250, so they're making a nice chunk of change off this. Also, if you Google "pr awards", it seems like there are a bunch of sites with this business model.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this award. I think it's less about promoting Blackberry, then it is about having something impressive to put on a resume. I guess it's not too surprising that PR guys are good at hyping themselves.

Having said that, I don't think it's fair too lay much blame for Blackberry's current situation on the PR department. As far as I can tell, the claims on that award citation are accurate. And PR isn't responsible for advertising, market research, developer relations, engineering, corporate strategy or any of the other areas where Blackberry arguably has fallen short.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-22-13 06:17 PM
    So is the point of this post that BlackBerry built up a ton of hype prior to the launch, had people believing that they were going to hit a home run and turn things around, and then failed to live up to any of it with the actual BB10 launch? Because that is all I can get out of this and comparing it to where we are today.

Posted via CB10
    If they launched with the BB10 they have now, they probably would have succeeded sooner. But now they have to do all that marketing, and regaining. And with all the other people bashing the brand, it's even harder. And the fact that they are still alive till this day is because their PR team has been the only thing that talks positively about the company. And here an there some articles pop up. But 90% of the articles are negative, negative, and more negative. So lets bring that 10% positive and blast it. That way, maybe all the negative perceptions can fade away sooner. If you own a BlackBerry and love it, then shout it out! Especially to people who got iPhones and Android.
    11-22-13 06:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Frankly, nothing could hurt the image of BB or CB more than absolutely irrational pro-BB posts that read like a computer generated random amalgamation of fanboy rhetoric with a great deal of obnoxious narcissism mixed in. I choose to believe that these people DO NOT represent the majority of CB or the real BB enthusiasts, and I'm hopeful that the nature of the posts don't reflect the true nature of these posters.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-22-13 06:32 PM
    Do you believe the P.R, witch is - alone - what I'm referring to is THE one to blame for that ?

What is interesting is that P.R have their own metrics to measure performance.
    Was it enough to turn the situation in favor of BlackBerry ? Obviously, not.
    Could it be ? just no.

Was it efficient in a P.R perspective and achievements significant ? Yes sir, undoubtedly.
    How can you even bring up achievements from a P.R. perspective when the perception of BlackBerry is worse than it was ever was? P.R. wise, the current perception of BlackBerry is at an all time low.

If there were any achievements, it has been remarkably short-lived and ineffective.
    11-22-13 06:45 PM
    So is the point of this post that BlackBerry built up a ton of hype prior to the launch

Posted via CB10
    All the above is exactly what the OP is about, no more, no less, not implying success or failures of the company.

Just a statement regarding the very specific domain of P.Rs where BlackBerry team has been saluted for a human and technical performance. To the point they received a price for this very specific action.

Me old cow have a little experience with companies, small, mid-sized or big. Just tried to share this, looking some aspects of "promotion" with a magnifying glass.

Rant time, not related to the quote above nor his author. Skip it it's boring.

I realize we live a miracle. A dancing dead company, that did survive three years when it should have die every week so much each and every single little action they made was miserable and even a novice teenager could have perform better.
    Nothing, not a single aspect, not a decision, not a statement was good. No discussion.
    Only chance and probably the Saturn influence made this company above the waterline and today, if you just compare the situation (Heins/Chen), has innovative new line of products and services in a bottom up architecture .
    But Boyz can't wait. They want it all and they want it now. Black or white. No shades, glow or darkness. It really is a miracle.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 06:49 PM
    Frankly, nothing could hurt the image of BB or CB more than absolutely irrational pro-BB posts that read like a computer generated random amalgamation of fanboy rhetoric with a great deal of obnoxious narcissism mixed in. I choose to believe that these people DO NOT represent the majority of CB or the real BB enthusiasts, and I'm hopeful that the nature of the posts don't reflect the true nature of these posters.
    I'm glad you clocked onto my thinking.

This positive/negative rhetoric - tech is what, a religious experience now? People are suffering and CB is full of this spiel. It's Christmas soon. Good grief. Well, whatever. The world turns and all that ;-)

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    11-22-13 06:53 PM
    I looked around that PR Daily website. It seems that this year they will give out something close to 200-some 'awards' in different categories. To nominate yourself costs $250, so they're making a nice chunk of change off this. Also, if you Google "pr awards", it seems like there are a bunch of sites with this business model.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this award. I think it's less about promoting Blackberry, then it is about having something impressive to put on a resume. I guess it's not too surprising that PR guys are good at hyping themselves.

Having said that, I don't think it's fair too lay much blame for Blackberry's current situation on the PR department. As far as I can tell, the claims on that award citation are accurate. And PR isn't responsible for advertising, market research, developer relations, engineering, corporate strategy or any of the other areas where Blackberry arguably has fallen short.
    I wish we could start over this thread starting from here. Thank you so much.

Just one point : dev relations was partially handled by P.R (Jam Events and Dev Conference) .

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 06:54 PM
    Can you define the term CrackBerry for me...Thank you in advance.

Fresh start now.
    11-22-13 06:54 PM
68 123