BlackBerry overtakes Samsung in SA: research

This is good news, if the research is accurate.
    I like the number who are considering a BlackBerry device, looks promising.
    11-26-13 10:41 AM
    Well this is no surprise, as BB10 was stated to be selling like "hotcakes".
    11-26-13 10:48 AM
    The problem for BB is that, even if this story is true (meaning, even if the survey is accurate), it mostly means that BB is selling a lot of old Curves in SA. Low-end BBOS sales in a couple of small countries isn't going to do much to help BB. And even then, this story may already be out-of-date, as the release of XBBM has caused tons of users in BB's biggest markets to dump BB phones in favor of Android phones with BBM, which is killing BB's service revenues.
    11-26-13 10:50 AM
    I understand what you are trying to say but South Africa cannot be classified as a small country. Their population ranks 25th in the world, which ranks them higher then South Korea, Spain, Canada, etc.....
    11-26-13 11:10 AM
    I understand what you are trying to say but South Africa cannot be classified as a small country. Their population ranks 25th in the world, which ranks them higher then South Korea, Spain, Canada, etc.....
    Fair point. Still, legacy sales, while good, are not what is going to carry BB into the future. Also, as data prices come down, you will see BBOS phones abandoned for iOS and Android, especially now that BBM is available on those platforms. This is already happening in Indonesia, and to a much smaller degree in South Africa, where data prices remain high. Data prices were very high, for not much service, in the US 5 years ago, but market pressure has greatly improved service and reduced prices, and that will happen in SA sooner or latter. I'm betting on sooner.
    11-26-13 10:54 PM
    The problem for BB is that, even if this story is true (meaning, even if the survey is accurate), it mostly means that BB is selling a lot of old Curves in SA. Low-end BBOS sales in a couple of small countries isn't going to do much to help BB. .
    I'm not sure about that... South Africa has a relatively low smartphone penetration rate, sub 20% (compared to China with similar per capita GDP and a smartphone sales rate of about 90% of all phones). Couple that with a obscene Gini index, and you basically have rich people buying smartphones. Rich people tend to prefer high end models.
    11-26-13 11:27 PM
    Fair point. Still, legacy sales, while good, are not what is going to carry BB into the future. Also, as data prices come down, you will see BBOS phones abandoned for iOS and Android, especially now that BBM is available on those platforms. This is already happening in Indonesia, and to a much smaller degree in South Africa, where data prices remain high. Data prices were very high, for not much service, in the US 5 years ago, but market pressure has greatly improved service and reduced prices, and that will happen in SA sooner or latter. I'm betting on sooner.
    Key points but we've seen legacy sales drop and BlackBerry10 sales continue to rise in two consecutive quarters. I would be shocked to see legacy sales beat the last quarter. This means there's a higher % rate for BlackBerry10 phones sold than one would think.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 08:43 AM