26 12
tools
    From Computer Dealer News:
    BlackBerry outlines its cloud computing strategy | Computer Dealer News

BlackBerry outlines its cloud computing strategy
    Paolo Del Nibletto
    Paolo Del Nibletto @paolocdn
    Published: May 8th, 2014

TORONTO Seemingly right under the collective noses of BlackBerry leadership was a powerful internal cloud the company built several years ago.

John Sims, the president of Global Enterprise Services for Waterloo, Ont.-based BlackBerry Ltd., told CDN that internally BlackBerry staff called it the iCloud. It was originally built for BlackBerry emails services.

Sims said that the company is now looking to leverage this cloud and its first step in develop identity services for the BlackBerry Messenger (BBM). With this we are one of the largest identity management companies in the world, Sims said at the BlackBerry Experience show in Toronto.

BlackBerrys cloud will enable the struggling smartphone maker to move up the stack, Sims added.

New services will now be enabled in the cloud rather than being just a piece of software. This delivers a reoccurring revenue stream for partners and for BlackBerry, he said.

The cloud along with security and a focus on the enterprise market are BlackBerry three main pillars for growing the company and helping it maintain long term survival. Sims said that he addresses BlackBerrys future prospects with customers and admitted they do have concerns.

Everyone wants to understand that, he said. We expect people will ask those questions and we are forthright with our vision. They are encouraged by our swift action that provided robustness to the balance sheet, said the former SAP senior executive.

Sims said that BlackBerrys goal is achieve cash flow break even by the end of this year and return to profitability in 2015.

We have to deliver on those things. This is just a general aura of concern that started last year. We are answering those questions and showing customers a new product road map,

A major part of that new roadmap for the cloud will be BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12, which is scheduled to be released this October.

When launched BES 12 will be offering as an on-premise solution and on a private cloud.

This will give users a hybrid environment as BES 12 can uniquely move between the two environments, he said.

In 2016, BlackBerry will also move BES 12 to a multi-tenant cloud for the SMB.

Currently, BES 10 is one of the more cost effective multi-platform enterprise mobility management solutions on the market, according to global market research firm Strategy Analytics.

The pricing offered by BES 10 creates a lowest-cost migration path from a TCO perspective, said Andrew Brown, executive director, enterprise research at Strategy Analytics. The report was based on a five year total cost of ownership study and was commissioned by BlackBerry. Brown went on to say that the research firm analyzed the TCO of each solution and took into consideration multiple cost drivers, implementation, support and payment scenarios for enterprises migrating from BES 5 to BES 10 or to other mobility management platforms, as well as enterprises adopting an enterprise mobility management solution for the first time.

BlackBerrys cloud strategy will see the company focus on delivering mobility driven services and value add to regulatory industries and large enterprises, Sims said.

Identity management may be the first service but not the only one. Sims said file sharing, voice and other productivity and collaboration services will follow.
    05-08-14 04:23 PM
    Interesting read. Thank you for sharing!
    05-08-14 06:40 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I wonder why no one else thought to leverage their existing cloud ?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:00 PM
    BlackBerry Cloud is going to be the only Cloud to be trusted. I need the File Sharing cloud.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:35 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I wonder why no one else thought to leverage their existing cloud ?

Posted via CB10

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...3/#post9350946

But without hardware, what does this leave? They need to focus on being a software/services company for now, and re-evaluate hardware at a later date. They have a huge capability that is being wasted, the much talked about NOC structure. Quite simply this is being under-utilized. Why not make this into a huge cloud services offering, deliver content and services (perhaps from a partner such as Amazon) directly to the end user, across multiple platforms. Why limit yourself to a single OS? They have begun this process with cross platform BBM, but that should be only the first step. Use this new foothold, these millions of users (50 million active at last count) and deliver content directly through this social experience. Deliver movies and music through BBM, across platform, on any device. Offer a subscription service; allow users to pay for services they want. Add in voice and video chat to make it a truly full featured social network. One of the best ways is to use channels. Work with the major movie studios; get them to deliver content directly through channels. I am not talking just images or links etc., but in line videos that can be viewed by subscribers. Think a YouTube channel on all mobile devices. Let these millions of users drive adoption of the platform and services. Make money from them, even if only a few dollars a month, that still can easily amount to hundreds of millions of dollars.
    hah
    dehdude, Vorkosigan and 00stryder like this.
    05-08-14 07:42 PM
    So this will only be for enterprise side or will consumers get to see this too

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:38 PM
    Hopefully consumers get this with that fuse/dashboard.

Link needs a complete overhaul before this happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 06:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm using the free beta version of BES10 Cloud..... I imagine that once it goes live the only limitation is how much it will cost. Not if you are a consumer or a business user.

But it is only a limited Cloud version of BES, not what most of us think of when we hear Cloud Services.

Storage, Backup are not currently included.
    wincyUt likes this.
    05-09-14 10:21 AM
    I'm using the free beta version of BES10 Cloud..... I imagine that once it goes live the only limitation is how much it will cost. Not if you are a consumer or a business user.

But it is only a limited Cloud version of BES, not what most of us think of when we hear Cloud Services.

Storage, Backup are not currently included.
    They had to start with the core features which is BES without the technical hassles of in-house deployment nor third-party hosted BES. Storage will come eventually and backup needs to be a robust as standalone BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    05-09-14 06:10 PM
    I'm glad they are leveraging the NOC more. They had a secure Cloud service long before the term cloud existed. Seems like they are still moving too slow getting BES up to speed.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 06:56 PM
    If only they made their "iCloud" years ago, before Apple, and was able to turn around and sue Apple for trademark infringement.
    05-09-14 07:45 PM
    The iCloud is simply not up to par from an enterprise perspective. Security is non-existent and it is easily hacked by 10 year olds from China.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 07:55 PM
    The iCloud is simply not up to par from an enterprise perspective. Security is non-existent and it is easily hacked by 10 year olds from China.

Posted via CB10
    Then why haven't they?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    05-10-14 12:13 PM
    that's what I said last year, their NOC has so much potential, using it to build a cloud service would make everything that much better. BIS/BES is being under utilized like you said, the possibilities are almost endless with it, and its about time they had a leadership that can see the possibilities it carries
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-10-14 12:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    on thing at a time, enterprise need it more then consumers and as of right now the main focus is on maintaining their niche market
    05-10-14 12:58 PM
    Enterprises need cloud to offer their services to customers. They don't need enterprise cloud storage, especially with various laws around world that affects their operations. This was discussed a lot when first legal case where it was known storing your data on azure, even if server was in Ireland, was subject to USA law.

There are various Dropbox competitors specifically for on-site cloud storage for enterprise only.

I think amazon, Rackspace, etc have cloud services already, but blackberry can use it for offering services they sell, so its not competing with amazon.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 06:01 PM
    that's what I said last year, their NOC has so much potential, using it to build a cloud service would make everything that much better. BIS/BES is being under utilized like you said, the possibilities are almost endless with it, and its about time they had a leadership that can see the possibilities it carries
    It wasn't that no one wasn't seeing the possibilities, it's that the NOC from a technical standpoint was never set up to work in such a way as they now have it working. They needed time in order to make the changes, test them and ultimately roll them out. However, time was and arguably still isn't in their favor.

This is stuff they should have had squared away 2-3 years ago in time for BlackBerry 10 but didn't now they're getting there. Too late? Well, that remains to be seen really but now that its come to fruition they really need to hit it home.
    05-10-14 06:13 PM
    Very intriguing, thanks for the read. I hope BlackBerry still has the time and focus to pull it off.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 07:35 PM
    What I found most interesting in that article was:

In 2016, BlackBerry will also move BES 12 to a multi-tenant cloud for the SMB.
    This will really improve the efficiency of their BES & reduce costs. HOWEVER they will have to really test it before release because multitenancy also comes with a lot more risks. I suspect that's why it has a 2016 release date. They plan on spending the time making sure it will work smoothly and have no security issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 07:49 PM
    on thing at a time, enterprise need it more then consumers and as of right now the main focus is on maintaining their niche market
    Are enterprise users clamouring for BBM stickers? Nope yet BlackBerry is promoting stickers as the ultimate innovation in BBM.

05-11-14 03:21 AM
    If there was a leak of passwords and documents from iCloud, it would have made the news big-time. Let's be serious here ...
    05-11-14 03:46 PM
    Are enterprise users clamouring for BBM stickers? Nope yet BlackBerry is promoting stickers as the ultimate innovation in BBM.

Are you being myopic again? It's entirely possible for a company to do more than one thing, you know? Company's much smaller than BlackBerry have enterprise and consumer products. One may get more of the focus than the other.

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand for some. BlackBerry has four business units - handhelds, QNX, BBM and Device Management. Each has their own initiatives, objectives and teams working on specific things.
    05-11-14 03:48 PM
    Are you being myopic again? It's entirely possible for a company to do more than one thing, you know? Company's much smaller than BlackBerry have enterprise and consumer products. One may get more of the focus than the other.

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand for some. BlackBerry has four business units - handhelds, QNX, BBM and Device Management. Each has their own initiatives, objectives and teams working on specific things.
    It really does seem that way at times.....
    05-12-14 08:27 AM
    What I found most interesting in that article was:

This will really improve the efficiency of their BES & reduce costs. HOWEVER they will have to really test it before release because multitenancy also comes with a lot more risks. I suspect that's why it has a 2016 release date. They plan on spending the time making sure it will work smoothly and have no security issues.

Posted via CB10
    This article was wrong or the person mispoke.
    It is march 2015 for multi-tenant BES12 cloud
    Q&A with John Sims: Opening the BlackBerry 10 Operating System | Inside BlackBerry
    05-14-14 09:07 AM
    This article was wrong or the person mispoke.
    It is march 2015 for multi-tenant BES12 cloud
    Q&A with John Sims: Opening the BlackBerry 10 Operating System | Inside BlackBerry
    Well then I guess that means they plan on only spending 4 or 5 months making sure it will work smoothly

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 10:38 AM
26 12