05-19-14 02:43 PM
89 1234
tools
    I guess it really DOESN'T pay to be #1 in a bunch of 3rd world countries. Come BlackBerry retake a stake in America, Canada, or Western Europe.
    05-08-14 04:15 PM
    I guess it really DOESN'T pay to be #1 in a bunch of 3rd world countries. Come BlackBerry retake a stake in America, Canada, or Western Europe.
    This comment is full of mindless drivels.

Zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    MB64 likes this.
    05-08-14 06:16 PM

Sounds rude but it's true.

Sent from my Lumia 925 Tapatalk
    techvisor likes this.
    05-09-14 12:26 AM
    The Z3 display is better than the PlayBook display just to clarify. It's not the best but not the worst either.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I think we've found Blackberry's new slogan. "It's not the best but not the worst either".
    JeepBB, chalx, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    05-09-14 03:04 AM
    As much as i love z10 i couldn't recommend it to anyone. Ok, half of the problem is a fact that in my country there is only STL100-1 with battery meter bug and rear speaker bug, but other 50% was software related, or to be more precise, related to lack of apps.
    05-09-14 07:31 AM
    Thats .7 percent of all the smart phones in the world, in one quarter, if I did my math right.

I don't know if thats obviously good or bad to me. Are they making profit?
    05-09-14 07:38 AM
    The reason why someone would buy a windows phone would be camera.
    Maybe because they want to be trendy, last year. Or they like nokia.

The reason why someone would buy a iPhone would be iOS stability and its lack of lag and it's brand value.
    Brand value? Apparently according to a study I read, ios crashes more than any other popular smart phone os. The apps might be stable (because proprietary, closed system), but I am not sure the OS is particularly more stable than android.

The reason why someone would buy a Android would be because he does not know about BB10, cant afford iPhone and he is fooled by the 12,00,000 number of apps which are actually (12,00,000 total apps -235,271 low quality apps -765,000 repeated apps - 110000 useless apps).
    Android tech is generally a lot cheaper than apple devices. To the point you can buy sub 100 buck phones with useable specs. Its also a relatively open system, using open standards. You can stream from a windows network, use miracast and so forth, where apple has its own closed standards. Admitedly, blackberry seems to moving in an open system direction.

Interesting point though about android apps. While the higher end devices, and tablets, may slowly drive more quality software, a lot of android apps have limited device compatibility, and are poorly written. So you have to look around for the good ones.

Apps in general are an interesting one, outside of just android. Few apps really do anything great or noteworthy, in any system. Many of them just replicate web pages with lower data useage, and some added formating.

Its a far cry, on the smart phone, from full paid desktop software, or even shareware. The market for smart phone apps just isnt very discerning yet. And theres a lot of ad ware, and freemium nonsense. The sense one gets using these apps on a tablet, is ....what the hell. You'd happily pay more money if they were high quality, but the smart phone users generally seem to want cheap, low grade stuff with some fluffy graphical interface. It just doesn't utilize the hardware the way it should. The economics of making very cheap (as phone users demand) software for phones just doesn't allow developers the resources to make high quality software. A small set of higher quality, higher price apps (and yes games), would be very nice, but the market has to want it. Instead they seem content atm with toys. Perhaps as tablets take off this will change.

The reason why someone would buy a BlackBerry OS10 device would be because he is smarter then any one else.

BB10 OS is fantastic it just needs the support of equally fantastic hardware. Z30 comes near to fantastic hardware but still needs improvement for pure marketing(because some people only understand hardware), and that would be in camera pixel, PPI, Processor upgrade to quad core or octa core, and with all this a battery upgrade to continue with the fantastic battery life like in Z30.
    Id personally much prefer 1.5-2gb, dual or quad channel ram, at the highest megahertz, and a smooth, fast simple ssd instead of pure nand flash. An octacore would add absolutely nothing to the user experience IMO. Unfortunately android devices have created an environment where people just look for bigger numbers, rather than the numbers that actually matter - they might be octacore, even though thats basically pointless until software is written for it, and they might be high battery mah, even though the chips and the OS are power hogs (or the screen just as likely) - thus leading to no net gain in battery life - and yet the internal nand flash is still slower than any card anyone would actually buy.

Although that said, I am sure that an ssd, if some effort was put in to point it out. And people could definately tell the difference, using it. I mean, when you put an ssd into a PC, you see that it just flies. It loads files and programs faster, boots faster, multi-tasks faster, everything is faster, smoother. You can upgrade a CPU slightly and get nothing like that difference. All that they need to do is minaturize the ssd layout, which shouldnt be that hard, its essentially parallel nand flash with a controller chip.
    05-09-14 08:05 AM

Brand value? Apparently according to a study I read, ios crashes more than any other popular smart phone os. The apps might be stable (because proprietary, closed system), but I am not sure the OS is particularly more stable than android.

Android tech is generally a lot cheaper than apple devices. To the point you can buy sub 100 buck phones with useable specs. Its also a relatively open system, using open standards. You can stream from a windows network, use miracast and so forth, where apple has its own closed standards. Admitedly, blackberry seems to moving in an open system direction.

Interesting point though about android apps. While the higher end devices, and tablets, may slowly drive more quality software, a lot of android apps have limited device compatibility, and are poorly written. So you have to look around for the good ones.

Apps in general are an interesting one, outside of just android. Few apps really do anything great or noteworthy, in any system. Many of them just replicate web pages with lower data useage, and some added formating.

Its a far cry, on the smart phone, from full paid desktop software, or even shareware. The market for smart phone apps just isnt very discerning yet. And theres a lot of ad ware, and freemium nonsense. The sense one gets using these apps on a tablet, is ....what the hell. You'd happily pay more money if they were high quality, but the smart phone users generally seem to want cheap, low grade stuff with some fluffy graphical interface. It just doesn't utilize the hardware the way it should. The economics of making very cheap (as phone users demand) software for phones just doesn't allow developers the resources to make high quality software. A small set of higher quality, higher price apps (and yes games), would be very nice, but the market has to want it. Instead they seem content atm with toys. Perhaps as tablets take off this will change.

The reason why someone would buy a BlackBerry OS10 device would be because he is smarter then any one else.

Id personally much prefer 1.5-2gb, dual or quad channel ram, at the highest megahertz, and a smooth, fast simple ssd instead of pure nand flash. An octacore would add absolutely nothing to the user experience IMO. Unfortunately android devices have created an environment where people just look for bigger numbers, rather than the numbers that actually matter - they might be octacore, even though thats basically pointless until software is written for it, and they might be high battery mah, even though the chips and the OS are power hogs (or the screen just as likely) - thus leading to no net gain in battery life - and yet the internal nand flash is still slower than any card anyone would actually buy.

Although that said, I am sure that an ssd, if some effort was put in to point it out. And people could definately tell the difference, using it. I mean, when you put an ssd into a PC, you see that it just flies. It loads files and programs faster, boots faster, multi-tasks faster, everything is faster, smoother. You can upgrade a CPU slightly and get nothing like that difference. All that they need to do is minaturize the ssd layout, which shouldnt be that hard, its essentially parallel nand flash with a controller chip.
    WOW!
    05-09-14 08:46 AM
    BlackBerry stated that the reason that BB10 isn't on the Playbook is because of the specs (1 GB of RAM).
    Very good point that I had already forgotten.

I must say though, that I still speculate that there was something else behind that decision. I find it sort of hard to believe that the Playbook would've performed that poorly with BB10 considering how zippy (IMO) it is on the Z10. I mean, the specs, I didn't think, were that far apart..
    05-09-14 10:50 AM
    Very good point that I had already forgotten.

I must say though, that I still speculate that there was something else behind that decision. I find it sort of hard to believe that the Playbook would've performed that poorly with BB10 considering how zippy (IMO) it is on the Z10. I mean, the specs, I didn't think, were that far apart..
    There are games on the PlayBook that are fairly graphic intensive that work just as well as the Z10. So yes I don't buy that BB10 can't run on PlayBook. They managed to fit the Z3 with 1.5 gigs of ram. They can go further and even cut non-essentials off the PlayBook since its a tablet not a smartphone.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-09-14 10:52 AM
    I suppose it's to be expected that sales of bb10 handsets is declining. The most recent one is of a previous generation. M8 and Galaxy S5 stealing all of the thunder

Posted via CB10
    HTC One is definitely not stealing anything, since HTC is in loss on their smartphone division. S5 stealing it? Maybe. The phones that are really "stealing it" are all the low-end Android smartphones that people get free or for 1 dollar from their carriers. Those usera might not even buy/download a single app, but the device still counts.

Is Bentley a loser coz they produce only several thousand cars a year, compared to Hyundai i30, Kia ceed or the Chevy Spark? No.
    05-09-14 11:23 AM

Is Bentley a loser coz they produce only several thousand cars a year, compared to Hyundai i30, Kia ceed or the Chevy Spark? No.
    It does mean that Bentley cannot exist as an independent company. Bentley are a line of cars from Volkswagen.

They survive by having customers willing to buy one Bentley for the price of 5 or 10 normal cars, and the efficiency of sharing many supply chain facilities with their huge parent company.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-09-14 02:19 PM
    HTC One is definitely not stealing anything, since HTC is in loss on their smartphone division. S5 stealing it? Maybe. The phones that are really "stealing it" are all the low-end Android smartphones that people get free or for 1 dollar from their carriers. Those usera might not even buy/download a single app, but the device still counts.

Bentley makes money.... at the end of each quarter the +$ are more than the -$ on the balance sheets.

BlackBerry makes money.... but a the end of each quarter the +$ are not more than the --------$ on the balance sheets. So they are in fact losing money every quarter... Selling fewer and fewer devices each quarter and not making a profit is what makes BlackBerry a loser - regardless if they are making a Bentley or Hyundai.

The M8, G5 and even the iPhone are stealing the "thunder" in that they are being advertised day in and day out. They are impressive devices, and they do most everything a consumer expect a smartphone to do right out of the box. Now do they account for the majority of worldwide sales... no, but these flagship device do support their lower end bothers in that they get name recognition out there.

That said both HTC and Samsung are seeing very stiff competition and lower revenues in the lower end device categories, especially in developing markets. There are literally dozens of "cheap" devices manufactures out there selling devices for $60 and up.... That's one reason I'm not thrilled about the Z3 chances in these markets, for many it's really a mid priced device with a few important features missing - seems that dual sims is a big seller in a lot of these markets.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 05-09-14 at 03:01 PM.
    JeepBB and Raddin like this.
    05-09-14 02:44 PM

BlackBerry only sold 1.3 million phones in Q1-fusl.jpg
    MB64 and Moonbase0ne like this.
    05-09-14 03:14 PM
    Your using a Samsung blackberry

Posted via CB10 with z10
    You're, not your.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-11-14 04:35 AM
    BlackBerry makes money.... but a the end of each quarter the +$ are not more than the --------$ on the balance sheets. So they are in fact losing money every quarter... Selling fewer and fewer devices each quarter and not making a profit is what makes BlackBerry a loser - regardless if they are making a Bentley or Hyundai.
    +1

BlackBerry isn't making akin to Bentley in any way. BlackBerry isn't making premium devices that sell in fewer numbers, but significantly higher prices, the way Bentley is.

BlackBerry is selling fewer devices at lower prices that the competition. Furthermore it's devices aren't generally recognized to be higher end than the competition either.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-11-14 04:41 AM
    Completely serious. Ive been a techy for many years, Ive used a lot of platforms, and Ive seen companies come and go. I also know fashion pretty well, and I am a psych major as well as a computer networking graduate.

App quality on smart phones is terrible next to desktop software. Its irritating trying to use such software on a tablet, because with a large screen, you kinda expect more (and would be happy to pay more). You see app buyers complaining about paying a few bucks - how is the economics of software development going to run, if they can never charge more than a few dollars? So of course the apps are going to be terrible next to what they could be. Only when users are more discerning, and have more open wallets will that change (and that should indeed change with the rise of the tablet)

Consumers want all the wrong specs in their devices. Multi-core is not as helpful as youd think. Most of the load still sits on the first core, even on multi-core optimized PCs. Run an app to track the core load - you'll see.

Software needs to be written specifically for each number of cores, in order to fully utilize it. Multi-tasking is not help up by cores, its held up by loading from the slow nand flash, into ram. The ram needs to be say 1.5-3 gb, and FAST (like dual or quad channel ddr3), and the storage needs to be much faster - the cpu can basically stay where it is, right now, because thats not the primary bottleneck. Everything needs to be loaded into ram to run. And the slowest part of that is the storage, often class 4, turtle speed micro sd nand flash. Experience on desktop shows that massive performance gains are made by speeding up disk read writes. All they need to do is have more than one nand flash, and a SSD controller, to dual, quad channel that disk - and the performance gains will be huge, especially for multi-tasking.

A lot of android uses switch as much of their apps as possible to micro sd, not just for storage gains, but for speed gains. And a class 10 uhs-1 card is nothing next to sdd. No manu even mentions what the internal read write speeds are for their devices, and all the ones I have encountered have not just mere nand flash storage, but slow nand flash storage.

Faster cpu in the context of snail like disk to ram loading is really not that smart. But thats what the consumer is driving, because the consumer understands nothing about how their devices work - hence octacore.

A study came out this year showing that ios on the newest iphone was the most likely to crash. Androids latest OS, according to user reports of crashes, is much more stable.

Windows phone has only gained market share out of fashion IMO. Same as early iphone adopters (most of whom now use other devices). Its a novelty IMO. Windows phone may stay around, but watch the market share numbers, because it may not fair as well. Windows tablets running for windows 8 however, are here to stay. Perhaps the phones will catch up, when they can run full desktop OS too.

Android is not a bad OS. Its more cross platform and more open than ios. Its compatible with windows networks, until ios. Its linux core makes it quite tech-freindly. Google keeps the OS pretty up to date feature wise. The main problem with it is really that the apps market atm is largely driven by phone users, rather than tablet users, so the software is all free or cheap, and thus riddled with advertising and quite low grade. Mind you same with any phone platform (at least on the low grade angle). The second problem is of course that google sneaks all its services in, where you don't always want to use them.

An even more open system could be possible in blackberry devices, especially given the apk addition. And open systems tend to prosper, history demonstrates this time and time again. Apple saved its desktop by adding windows compatibility. Playstation won the whole gaming market when it entered with open system software coding. Android has defeated ios by using an open system.

Indeed most of the large screen all touch smart phones, will probably be pushed out of the portable market anyway by pocketable 6-7 inch MID tablets and phabets and the home and office markets by 7 inch+ tablets, phablets and powerbooks. Take up of those markets is about double what smart phones were, and they are predicted to outnumber desktops, and even outnumber smart phones. The five inch smart phone really isnt that great an experience.

And eventually, the whole market will be reformed around foldable and scrollable graphene screens.

In regard to the original topic, I am not sure why the person used the word "only", compared to the total number of smart phones in the word (1.75 billion), this number for a single period does not seem all that bad. Although the comparative context of how many samsung sold in the same period would be illuminating.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-12-14 at 08:40 PM.
    lpe.dejong likes this.
    05-12-14 08:23 PM
    "The reason why someone would buy a BlackBerry OS10 device would be because he is smarter then any one else."
    I should add that this was me quoting someone else. This is not my statement. I should have quote bubbled it. As much as I think blackberry is great, and has the potential to gain more market share going forward during the rise of the tablet, I am not so biased as to think its the only good os/manu.

Android is also pretty good, even if the actual phone devices are not to my liking, I love my android tablet.

Although that said, I do think theres something vaguely intelligent about hard keys. Its pragmatic. lol.
    05-12-14 08:37 PM
    As I have said to folks a hundred times, you don't have to have the greats specs to sell a product. You have to provide something that the consumer wants!!!!

Apple, Google and Microsoft have figured this out and have made billions doing it as Blackberry once did in the early days before they lost their lack of vision and fell into complacency.

I own a z30 and a z10 and I still preach the Blackberry brand here in the USA. But, with no product promotion and advertising here. I feel I fighting a losing battle.

Now that T Mobile and Blackberry are not talking anymore, I feel one day in the distant future I may have to abandon the brand myself.

Not because I don't like Blackberry, but future product support is a major deal for me and as a business person myself, i have to do what's right for my clients and my company, that's reality.

Sent using the CB Forum App
    05-13-14 04:40 AM
    Iphone and samsung are both selling less phones every quarter too btw (samsung reported its first loss of profits last quarter, and iphone has fallen from above 30% market share, down to 15%).

The real winners are MID tablets and phablets, larger tablets and phablets, and cheaper android phones amongst all of that (the ipad for example, is apples redeeming product range right now). But as tablets grow, so does the market for blackberry style devices, because with MIDs and larger around, people have much less need for large screened all touch devices as phones.

If they can weather the storm of course.

Blackberry had a $3.1 billion revenue quarter, with a $84 million loss. Prior to that they made $94 million profit from $2.7 billion revenue. Before this last quarter, they were still making profits. And consider also that they are spending money on development, and have just released a phone. In development and manufacturing, the costs come before the profits. So we'd expect this last quarter to be poor - they spend money on developing the z3, and manufacturing it (and I believe they have the blackberry classic development on its way too). Indeed that explains why they had more revenue, but made no profit, or fits with it very well.

Its next quarter that will be more interesting. And the one after.

I doubt anyone remembers, but apple was in the same kind of position blackberry is now, many years ago, on the brink, and needing some policy revision and serious saving. They sold shares to make up the dosh, and added windows compatibility amongst other things. Then they went on to make the iphone, and the ipad.

So its interesting what being put on the edge can do for a company. This could be an impressive comeback, or it could be a gradual fizzle. Either way phones aren't blackberries only market.

Its perfectly possible to recover from such a situation. Whether that happens or not is far from decided. Indeed what happens to the likes of apple, samsung even microsoft isn't entirely decided either. Nothing is permanent, indeed, far from it in the tech world.

It will be interesting to see how handset designers start to account for the rise of the tablet in other companies too. The likes of the samsung s-series and note and even the iphones more redundant in a world where there are better experiences available on tablets, especially at home or in the office, and quite portable ones available on 6-7 inch, smaller bevel MID designs that fit nicely in a jacket pocket, or purse.

The drive in some sense is smaller where the interface and technology allows, more rugged too, but graphene is some decade or so off, and the lack of tactile feedback, and hard keys is also a frustration for many functions, even gaming. The form fit itself for portability and calling, and texting is quite poor, something people will feel much more when they are swimming in tablets and miracast allows them to put their phones display on other devices if they so wish.

Obviously the ability to pair functions with tablets and other devices, especially across platform will be key to future smart phones. And I doubt many of the manufacturers are looking ahead enough to see that though.

And I am keen to see who actually pushes the desktop OS beyond the antiquated windows and folder design too (in a way that people like of course). I would have expected 3d designs, intuitive spacial places where you can use your brains native mode to remember more easily where stuff is stored, and to manipulate it. I would also have expected more 3d gesture control, and more accurate voice commands. What we have seen instead on the touch devices, and desktop OS's is not nearly as innovative as I would have expected.

I can't help but wonder what tricks google has up its sleeve. They purchased an AI company about a year ago. They continually talk about the "star trek computer". That seems more like the future than what either windows, or apple have been producing.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-13-14 at 06:12 AM.
    05-13-14 05:36 AM
    Yeah, that's all well and good and so on, but the bottom line is that unless Blackberry can reestablish it's brand name here in the USA, nothing is going to change.

Myself along with the folks I have converted to the brand who are on T Mobile have very well founded concerns about long term device support.

While T Mobile says they are going to support us, as a business person I know that as the user base shrinks, the cost of supporting such a small number of devices on their network is no longer value added.

So, yes I am concerned and I am not leaving T Mobile for another carrier just to support Blackberry. My carrier has great rates and coverage.

I feel that if Blackberry wants our business then they should be the ones bending over backwards to keep us, not the other way around. That's just the way it is whether you choose to accept it or not.

Sent using the CB Forum App
    kbz1960, JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    05-13-14 06:24 AM
    You concerns about support might or might not be well founded. This is like apple when it nearly went bust and had to sell out to bill gates to survive. Time will tell whether the wind will turn or not in terms of the US market. In five years blackberry could be non-existant, or in the midst of a triumphant come back.

Of course the tech industry is like that. Nobody uses commodore, amstrad, bbc, spectrum desktops anymore. Dos is long gone. Nokia isnt the king of mobiles anymore despite clear rulership of the phone market for over a decade. Beta-max is nowhere to be seen, nor is VHS. Sega dont make game consoles anymore. Apple nearly died. Google was launched from a simple search engine, and won the phone market by being open platform. It goes on and on. In fact a few years is a long time in the tech industry.

The winners and losers of the game are constantly shifting, and you can never really count on any of them to stay on top forever. And now there is also fashion, and in terms of the markets, that makes them even more fickle, and less likely to remain the same.

But that call is up to you, which of the competiting kings in the current tech game of thrones, you want to hitch your wagon to for now, and it sounds like you've made that choice already.

You should be aware though, as someone who has been around for awhile, that there are few _long term_ certainties around technology. At least even less so than other industries. Medium term you might find something safer for your support (assuming that blackberry doesn't have a bounce back, which I believe it will - and a fair number of stock investors are gambling on), but there are no long term guarantees ever in the tech market.

Indeed if you want to see whats happening with BB, it should really only take about a year to see a "sink or float" return to stability. The z3 and the classic should really demonstrate the case either way pretty immediately. But I have no idea what your investment is in phones, or your business operations, so I am not sure if the timespan is relevant to you. Just thought id mention it conversationally for the heck of it.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-13-14 at 09:54 AM.
    05-13-14 09:40 AM
    Iphone and samsung are both selling less phones every quarter too btw (samsung reported its first loss of profits last quarter, and iphone has fallen from above 30% market share, down to 15%).

The real winners are MID tablets and phablets, larger tablets and phablets, and cheaper android phones amongst all of that (the ipad for example, is apples redeeming product range right now). But as tablets grow, so does the market for blackberry style devices, because with MIDs and larger around, people have much less need for large screened all touch devices as phones.

If they can weather the storm of course.

Blackberry had a $3.1 billion revenue quarter, with a $84 million loss. Prior to that they made $94 million profit from $2.7 billion revenue. Before this last quarter, they were still making profits. And consider also that they are spending money on development, and have just released a phone. In development and manufacturing, the costs come before the profits. So we'd expect this last quarter to be poor - they spend money on developing the z3, and manufacturing it (and I believe they have the blackberry classic development on its way too). Indeed that explains why they had more revenue, but made no profit, or fits with it very well.

Its next quarter that will be more interesting. And the one after.

I doubt anyone remembers, but apple was in the same kind of position blackberry is now, many years ago, on the brink, and needing some policy revision and serious saving. They sold shares to make up the dosh, and added windows compatibility amongst other things. Then they went on to make the iphone, and the ipad.

So its interesting what being put on the edge can do for a company. This could be an impressive comeback, or it could be a gradual fizzle. Either way phones aren't blackberries only market.

Its perfectly possible to recover from such a situation. Whether that happens or not is far from decided. Indeed what happens to the likes of apple, samsung even microsoft isn't entirely decided either. Nothing is permanent, indeed, far from it in the tech world.

It will be interesting to see how handset designers start to account for the rise of the tablet in other companies too. The likes of the samsung s-series and note and even the iphones more redundant in a world where there are better experiences available on tablets, especially at home or in the office, and quite portable ones available on 6-7 inch, smaller bevel MID designs that fit nicely in a jacket pocket, or purse.

The drive in some sense is smaller where the interface and technology allows, more rugged too, but graphene is some decade or so off, and the lack of tactile feedback, and hard keys is also a frustration for many functions, even gaming. The form fit itself for portability and calling, and texting is quite poor, something people will feel much more when they are swimming in tablets and miracast allows them to put their phones display on other devices if they so wish.

Obviously the ability to pair functions with tablets and other devices, especially across platform will be key to future smart phones. And I doubt many of the manufacturers are looking ahead enough to see that though.

And I am keen to see who actually pushes the desktop OS beyond the antiquated windows and folder design too (in a way that people like of course). I would have expected 3d designs, intuitive spacial places where you can use your brains native mode to remember more easily where stuff is stored, and to manipulate it. I would also have expected more 3d gesture control, and more accurate voice commands. What we have seen instead on the touch devices, and desktop OS's is not nearly as innovative as I would have expected.

I can't help but wonder what tricks google has up its sleeve. They purchased an AI company about a year ago. They continually talk about the "star trek computer". That seems more like the future than what either windows, or apple have been producing.

Again WOW!

Sorry there is a difference in not meeting expatiations and actually selling fewer devices from the previous quarter - Apple and Samsung are selling more and more devices, just not as many as shareholders and executives would like. This is mainly due to the saturation of the market by dozens of smaller OEM's that are building very basic and cheap devices for developing markets.

BlackBerry has lost money every quarter for over a year now.... the battle cry use to be that the had $4.5 Billion in cash and no debt.... now they have $2.7 Billion in cash and $1.25 Billion in debt. And have cut cost and sold everything that was bolted down.....

As for Hardware, it is not BlackBerry's only product, this is true. Almost 57% of revenues today are from Services.... but the vast majority are based on BBOS licensing that does rely on hardware. And currently BES licensing does not appear to be doing much to steam the loses in the Services Revenues from one quarter to the next. And without hardware, BES's future would be in question. BES is a great option and very competitive for managing BB devices. When it comes to Android and iOS, BB has to pay for those plug-ins... making BES not nearly as competitive or functional.

Can BlackBerry make a comeback like Apple or Microsoft... of course. All they need is a stellar product like the iPod. Of BILLIONS of dollars to build their platform and market it correctly...

Sorry the future hasn't turned out as you expected.... it almost never does.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-13-14 10:20 AM
    Well what apple did first, was sell a load of its shares, and examine its direction. That included adding windows compatibility. Its not a dissimilar place to where blackberry is now. And that is what saved apples desktop, the ipod came well after that turn around.

Apple is selling more ipads. There ipads are doing great. They are selling less iphones. 15% of market share versus once over 30%. Samsung had its first loss in profits. That means they are also selling less phones, though not as dramatic a drop as apples iphone. This is partly market saturation i agree, but its also the rise of the tablet/phablet, which is predicted to eclipse desktops and smart phones, and its also as you say, smaller manufacturers with cheaper products (primarily chinese android manus) (And brands as fashions to a limited degree, in apples case)

Blackberry is doing badly financially I agree. Again, its not dissimilar to where apple was with its desktop platform. They were considering shutting it down. Blackberry is not yet quite at that point with handsets (maybe a year or two off, if it got that bad). Apple also sold shares, including a load of non-voting shares to their competitions ceo, bill gates. They cut costs, sold everything that wasn't bolted down. They didn't get the money to develop the ipod and market it, out of thin air, they got it from honing what they were already doing.

We will see where it all leads. The z3, and the classic will probably be deciding influences, as well as changes to the bb os (hopefully they can get the apk runtime better, thats key IMO)

Its not that I thought that we would have better OSs, like people thinking wed all have robots, its just that I seem to have better concept ideas than folks at apple or microsoft (lol! Yeah, I know how that sounds, its different running a business than just dreaming of what is viable). Google however is still shooting hoops with forward thinking, so I think maybe there is still hope for futuristic computing
    05-13-14 10:53 AM
    where are you getting this random 15% marketshare for apple? It means nothing to the actual sales numbers. Apple is selling more iphones year over year every quarter pretty much. your numbers simply sound incorrect on all accounts. Samsung didnt have a loss. They might have just made slightly less profit than the previous quarter.
    05-13-14 11:00 AM
89 1234