10-08-13 05:55 PM
101 1234 ...
tools
    This is a good thing. Hope they ship to Canada though :/. Maybe it'll drive the prices down up here in the meantime (on ebay Canada, etc).

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 03:32 PM
    Given that these phones are not even being stocked in most retail locations any longer, BB pretty much had to go this route sooner or later if they weren't sticking the phones in a landfill.

However, the price is WAYYY to high on the Z10. $349 USD might have been reasonable, though $299 would be better if they really want to move them and grow the user base quickly. (You can get a 16GB Nexus 4 for $249).
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 03:44 PM
    Are they really higher than the outdated Apple ecosystem? If they are, they have to be the same price or maybe $50 or so lower to compete....
    I'd *LOVE* to know what you think is outdated about Apple's "ecosystem"...

Also, the market has already decided that the the Z10 can't compete. It was selling for $0 on contract against $199 iPhones and wasn't moving anything. You really think positioning it off contract for the SAME price or even a measly $50 less as compared to an unlocked iPhone 5C is going to do anything at all? lol At this point, I'm pretty sure they just want to make up some of the $1B they lost.
    09-28-13 04:00 PM
    Good move, I would rather buy my phones directly from the BlackBerry website. They should have done this long ago.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:03 PM
    Step in the right direction for sure. Lower their prices a bit more, and it would be reasonable. When they get the Z30 available, I will def buy it off of the website. They pass on the savings to the customer for dealing directly with customers.
    09-28-13 04:17 PM
    Prices are highly unrealistic, so this will make little-to-no difference.

Posted via CB10
    h20work, Donvald and ADGrant like this.
    09-28-13 04:19 PM
    Prices are highly unrealistic, so this will make little-to-no difference.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree, not competitive at all given the current state of affairs. People aren't *that* stupid! Though I would assume these prices will be coming down sooner rather than later.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:25 PM
    Yeah but the Q is more expensive in Amazin baby!!!!!!!

😘

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    To be honest I want to grab a Q10 once the fire sales go to $200. Unfortunately they aren't shipping to Canada through this site, and ironically I live a stone throw away from where they are made. Hopefully they go sub 300$ at best buy soon.
    canu900 likes this.
    09-28-13 04:33 PM
    I don't think the site will be a very good place to fire sale Blackberries. Google has done this experiment a number of times with the Nexus line of devices and, other than the Nexus 4, devices have always had poor sales or were largely sold in brick and mortar retailers. Even the Nexus 4 never sold in huge volume; though, much more sold than anticipated.

Consumers prefer to shop for phones in brick and mortar stores and they are even less likely to visit a website that only sells devices of a small niche OS than a website like Amazon that sells everything. No one other than BBRY fans (and maybe deal hunters) will know about this place when the fire sale happens.
    On Google play the nexus 4, 7, and the chromecasts go through spurts of being sold out. I as a consumer would prefer to purchase devices directly from the manufacturer (even blackberry). I really don't see why I should buy a device from a brick and mortar shop at a premium.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:43 PM
    $450 for the Q10 would be tempting and I would probably buy if it drops to $350.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-28-13 05:24 PM
    Those prices plus a calling plan still make the z look stupidly expensive..... In UK you can get it free on a reasonable plan and still no one buys it. Needs to be less than 100 here and I'd still give it less than no chance, I'd maybe buy one tho

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    you realize it would only be 278 right?
    09-28-13 05:53 PM
    prices are still out to lunch IMO.
    Totally, and this hits home to one of the main issues at BlackBerry. Out of touch with reality. I mean, c'mon guys... you just wrote down a billion dollars in over-valued assets, you are gonna have to get creative and aggressive.
    09-28-13 07:08 PM
    The pricing is ridiculous to me.

a fair assumption is that the z10 costs $200 to manufacture....how can they justify a write down of $1B and then attempt to direct sell them at $449..what was the point of it except to drive the stock price into the tank.

If they priced them at $250 or $299, I think they could unload every single one of them and not needed a write down...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:37 PM
    You start with the high price so that when you discount it, it seems a better deal.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-29-13 07:11 AM
    I wonder if this is applicable via internationl shipping. The price is good if converted.

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-29-13 07:41 AM
    So they only work on the 2 worst carriers around me. No thanks
    09-29-13 07:57 AM
    You start with the high price so that when you discount it, it seems a better deal.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    The write down, the price cut, the first sale price, everything. All so eerily similar to the playbook. We know the true fire sale is coming next.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-29-13 09:37 AM
    The write down, the price cut, the first sale price, everything. All so eerily similar to the playbook. We know the true fire sale is coming next.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    I guess the speed at which the firesale occurs is dependant on two things - how quickly the carrier support completely falls to pieces and how many devices they have left at that point. I suspect they will not actually confirm they have exited hardware until next march when we (in theory) should see a refresh of hardware. They might be forced into admitting it if a few more hardware partners come forward and admit that their business with BBRY is finished.

The other variable is - how many q5 and q10s were made? I doubt that they have made anything beyond the bare contractual minimum for the z30 but did they make too many q5s and 10s based upon widely over-optimistic predictions of the Z10?
    09-29-13 09:44 AM
    I guess the speed at which the firesale occurs is dependant on two things - how quickly the carrier support completely falls to pieces and how many devices they have left at that point. I suspect they will not actually confirm they have exited hardware until next march when we (in theory) should see a refresh of hardware. They might be forced into admitting it if a few more hardware partners come forward and admit that their business with BBRY is finished.

The other variable is - how many q5 and q10s were made? I doubt that they have made anything beyond the bare contractual minimum for the z30 but did they make too many q5s and 10s based upon widely over-optimistic predictions of the Z10?
    I hope they made way too many q10s as well. I would like to grab one when the price is right.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-29-13 09:49 AM
    Me too actually - I quite fancy a q10 at a realistic price.
    09-29-13 09:50 AM
    I think they are setting the stage for selling z30....

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:06 AM
    The pricing is ridiculous to me.

a fair assumption is that the z10 costs $200 to manufacture....how can they justify a write down of $1B and then attempt to direct sell them at $449..what was the point of it except to drive the stock price into the tank.

If they priced them at $250 or $299, I think they could unload every single one of them and not needed a write down...

Posted via CB10
    I agree, the write down mechanizations are odd.....this may not be a direct reflection of the write-down, but a first stage on the way down - which would really mean in essence that BB doesn't actually believe they'll sell at this price either! (but perhaps they want to at least try and/or avoid the appearance of a HUGE immediate price cut).

I think the cost might have been more than 200, but it's interesting (and scary as I said in my "earnings" thread) that if we pretended it was 200.....and let's say it was even a write OFF - down to zero.....well......that's a terrifying number of units at a billion dollars!
    09-29-13 10:24 AM
    The bid to buy won't fly, the transition is going as planned, the write down is the investment part of stage 2, time to seed the divices into corporate and build bb10 out.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:30 AM
    So write off the inventory to F over investors and tank the stock then sell the unlocked phones at a not reduced price?!?! WTF are they doing?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:30 AM
    If the devices cost 200 to produce, sell for 250-300 a device, with almost a billion in inventory look at the prifit, and I know about r&d costs and other crap, but you can't sell what you have through carriers with subsidies, at least put some money on the books and downsize the inventory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    09-29-13 11:27 AM
101 1234 ...