01-12-14 10:12 PM
28 12
tools
    There are a few interesting details I have bolded.
    Interim BlackBerry CEO, John Chen, is no longer. As of today, his title is merely chief executive officer.

During a CES roundtable in Las Vegas today, Chen said that the company has stopped searching for a new leader, satisfied with the vision that Chen has set out in his many interviews and open letters.

The company has signalled it will emphasize the consumer market less, focusing on its core market of enterprise customers and device management. With a growing fleet of BES customers, and improved tools to manage Android and iOS devices, Chen claims that BlackBerry is better positioned than any other company to handle the security needs of large corporations.

In addition to opening up a Security Innovation Center in Washington, D.C., the company has outsourced its smartphone design to Foxconn, which will reportedly develop a low-cost BlackBerry 10 device for the Indonesian market sometime in April or May. Chen hinted that there may be another QWERTY BlackBerry 10-powered device coming to North America later this year, but refrained from giving any specifics.

As for the failure of BlackBerry 10 to reach consumers on a broad level, Chen said that when it arrived in January 2013 it wasnt intuitive, and users didnt respond well to its high learning curve. As the company has fixed many usability issues in BlackBerry 10.1 and, most recently 10.2, consumer response has been very positive. Now, Chen says, an emphasis on getting BlackBerry 10 into the hands of more business customers will eventually have a cascading effect on the consumer market. He acknowledges there are plenty of roadblocks, iOS and Android dominance among them, but hes confident BlackBerry 10 is here to stay.

BlackBerrys aim to be profitable by early 2016 necessitates a focus on the enterprise market, which Chen says engenders higher profit margins and less churn between generations. But as for the devices themselves, Chen acknowledges that BlackBerry just cant compete against Samsung and Apple, especially with those companies stronger buying power; its unlikely BlackBerry will have another North American flagship for a while. Instead, focusing on the enterprise market for existing devices like the Q10 and Z30, and adding a number of lower-cost BB10 products to emerging markets, will help return them to profitability.
    01-07-14 11:50 AM
    I just read that and I don't think this is news. It was made official in the December 20 earnings call as far as I know. JC said he needed to stick around for at least a few years to see this plan through so it is hardly transparent to keep an interim title. Every CEO is interim it's just a question of time frames and reasons for their departure.
    01-07-14 11:55 AM
    I just read that and I don't think this is news. It was made official in the December 20 earnings call as far as I know. JC said he needed to stick around for at least a few years to see this plan through so it is hardly transparent to keep an interim title. Every CEO is interim it's just a question of time frames and reasons for their departure.
    Him being permanent CEO may not be news, however, the new QWERTY device coming to N.A this year is...
    01-07-14 11:57 AM
    Him being permanent CEO may not be news, however, the new QWERTY device coming to N.A this year is...
    don't think that's news either. They aren't going to leave a first generation BB10 product warts and all(Q10) in the market more than a year and a half without a product refresh.
    01-07-14 12:02 PM
    I like the direction the company's going, and note with amusement that as I write the stock sits ABOVE the $9/share sale price they tried to take it private for. I bought a few more shares when it dipped down to the $6 level so I'm ecstatic today.

I also think that Chen said he was no longer "Interim" CEO at the earnings call, but he was still being referred to as such so maybe it wasn't official.

Finally, their moves in the past few weeks have affirmed a commitment to stay in the device business, which also makes me very happy.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    01-07-14 12:07 PM
    Believe in Harvey Dent !!! I mean.. John Chen!!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 12:17 PM
    I like the direction the company's going, and note with amusement that as I write the stock sits ABOVE the $9/share sale price they tried to take it private for. I bought a few more shares when it dipped down to the $6 level so I'm ecstatic today.
    That move, trying to go private, totally tanked the stock. I blame the Board for that... and their belief that a turn-around could be achieved in a year. It basically sent the message that they were ready to cash out and didn't think BlackBerry was going to do any better, i.e. let the new owners deal with it.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    01-07-14 12:27 PM
    His first mistake. Selling another qwerty phone in the U S..

Not impressed or he mis-spoke.The Z10 out sold the Q10 3 to 1
    Unless it's a cutting edge slider type.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    acovey and Kashan Osama like this.
    01-07-14 01:15 PM

What you said is wrong lol.. it's the Z10 that didn't sell as much.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    SK122387 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:17 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    This is true, Thor just predicted the Z10 would outsell the Q10 by 3 to 1...
    Mack Gans likes this.
    01-07-14 01:20 PM
    This is exactly what I thought would happen, and I am okay with it. I thought we wouldn't see any new devices from BlackBerry for a while, while it sorts itself out. Yeah, the cheap phone for "emerging markets" will be here in May or whenever, but in terms of a device that any of us around here will see and be excited about... it doesn't look like that will be for a while. That's fine. I'm happy with my Q10 and may get one in white too. I love my Z10 as well, and now am more sure that I will buy a Z30 since nothing like it seems to be coming anytime soon.
    01-07-14 01:40 PM
    Have exact BB10 model sales numbers ever been released? I would suspect that Q10's sold have been lower than Z10, with the Q5 even worse. All BB10' s were in the big write down in the last earnings report, so this info may never be known publicly.

The enterprise qwerty device for 2014, will be interesting to follow it's development, marketing, and release.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 02:05 PM
    If we're looking at what we actually know. We know that $1 billion worth of Z10 were unsold. Did the Q10/Q5 do worse?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 02:38 PM

I think the full-touch devices were the actual mistake.
    BlackBerry is a niche product. A huge part of that niche is, and always has been, the physical keyboard.
    It's a differentiator, something nobody has done as well to date.

This quote from another interview seems to solidify that they will be going back to their keyboard roots.
    Mr Chen said the company’s focus over the next 18 months would be on devices designed for business customers and hinted strongly that these would include more BlackBerrys with keyboards – something he believes, along with secure communications, is a differentiating feature that will help BlackBerry retain its core corporate customers.
    CES 2014: BlackBerry revival effort to bear fruit, chief vows - FT.com

Chen even says it himself here, the keyboard is the differentiating feature for Blackberry.
    01-07-14 02:51 PM
    I think they gave him the interim title just incase he makes some moves that Watsa doesn't agree with..

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 02:52 PM
    I think the full-touch devices were the actual mistake.
    BlackBerry is a niche product. A huge part of that niche is, and always has been, the physical keyboard.
    It's a differentiator, something nobody has done as well to date.

This quote from another interview seems to solidify that they will be going back to their keyboard roots.

CES 2014: BlackBerry revival effort to bear fruit, chief vows - FT.com

Chen even says it himself here, the keyboard is the differentiating feature for Blackberry.
    I have two problems with that...

1. I agreed with Thor that the keyboard loving niche isn't going anywhere. They would have bought a Q10 whenever it was released. No need to preach to the already converted. Where BlackBerry got destroyed was in the all-touch market. I'll say it again. The people that fall into that qwerty niche aren't going anywhere. They needed to prove that they could do an all-touch phone as well as the other guys, because the massive fall away from Blackberry wasn't the Qwerty die-hards, it was people that moved to all-touch devices. If they left a keyboard for glass what makes you think they'll leave the glass to come back to a keyboard after sleeping for so much years while they got accustomed to glass? The only way BlackBerry will return to a dominant position in the consumer market is by acceptance of the all-touch devices.

2. Have you used the virtual keyboard on BB10. I mean, seriously, the virtual keyboard is better than the physical one for me. I can type faster and it is always accurate. It didn't do poorly because it was a bad product, it did poorly because it wasn't marketed well.
    01-07-14 03:12 PM
    This is true, Thor just predicted the Z10 would outsell the Q10 by 3 to 1...
    Does anyone know how many Q10s have actually sold? Small sample size, but I see a lot more Z10s in Toronto and at Canuck airports than Q10s. That's worrying because if the Z10 flopped, does it mean the Q10 flopped even worse?
    01-08-14 06:48 AM
    Interesting. It has been suggested here that BB10's learning curve was a barrier to adoption. Sounds like JC agrees, saying that it was not intuitive when it arrived.

I think the converged moves are good for the company at this time. The focus seems sharper, and there seems to be logical plans in place.
    01-08-14 07:07 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Did you not see the CB poll on the main Web page? It asked who owned what and the Z10 was the clear winner by 3-1?
    http://m.crackberry.com/crackberry-a...-are-you-using

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Blac...ticle33276.htm

BlackBerry hasn't released any solid sales figures yet, but others have testified that the Q10 is a failure.

For instance, an anonymous Canadian carrier said that the Q10 was supposed to be a hit for BlackBerry, but that the phone "hit the ground and died" and failed to catch an audience.

01-08-14 07:15 AM
    CB doesn't represent the general BlackBerry market

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-08-14 07:25 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Please present any poll or source showing the fact you put forth. I have.

01-08-14 08:48 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Read this too!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...in-use_id50954

Folks simply need to deal with facts and stop the wishful thinking!

01-09-14 04:11 PM
    Read this too!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...in-use_id50954

Folks simply need to deal with facts and stop the wishful thinking!

Wishful thinking ? ... no I don't do that. I do logical thinking. And what you just showed doesn't show if the Q10 was underproduced in comparison to the Z10. I have a feeling that when they released the Z10 they made way too many of them and the following devices were not produced at the same crazy level.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 04:15 PM
    Wishful thinking ? ... no I don't do that. I do logical thinking. And what you just showed doesn't show if the Q10 was underproduced in comparison to the Z10. I have a feeling that when they released the Z10 they made way too many of them and the following devices were not produced at the same crazy level.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Moving on as you have not and cannot find anything to back up your argument, except your own opinion.

Didn't you see the write off of Q10s and Q5s as well? Thus they were not under produced. Do some research. I'm not doing anymore for you.

Last edited by trsbbs; 01-12-14 at 07:42 PM.
    01-09-14 04:38 PM
    Does anyone know how many Q10s have actually sold? Small sample size, but I see a lot more Z10s in Toronto and at Canuck airports than Q10s. That's worrying because if the Z10 flopped, does it mean the Q10 flopped even worse?
    I would suspect that while the q10 also flopped, it was never expected to sell as many as the z10 in the first place as it was targeting a smaller market in the first place and also after the z10 they would have not built up as much inventory for any subsequent hardware either.
    01-11-14 09:45 AM
28 12