Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I firmly believe that BB knew the likely demand curve when choosing to exit the business and negotiating licensing deal through I suspect the better part of 2016 or so. Grabbing as much upfront and guaranteed money is and was the primary objective. That was good business sense for BB and shows better sense than many have given them credit for then and now.
    I respectfully disagree. I think it is shortsighted to have the approach to grab as much money up front as possible if you are actually wanting to rebuild a brand make money long term. It also can make it harder for the licensees to survive and thrive.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    08-14-19 03:29 AM
    You make a valid point. I think something that Chen should consider and maybe hasn't sufficiently, up to now, is that this approach reflects on the whole business, including on the seemingly unrelated parts. It is called ripple effect, or the culture, and some people do notice. The stock has floundered of late. Wisdom says that being reliable in small things is an indication of the capacity to be reliable in big things. Maybe the rest of the business is run differently, but this is a rather visible part of the business, if a small part. I think it will not help the business if this comes to a messy end. I do think it is a hopeful sign that BlackBerrry announced extension of support for BB10.
    Right you are !
    08-14-19 03:35 AM
    I just read this whole thread tonight, and I feel the same way. Just as I have finally saved up enough $ to consider buying a new off-contract BlackBerry phone for my Verizon acct, they (aka Key² LE) are either nowhere to be found in the US, or rumoured never to be again. I knew I wanted a BlackBerry, years before I ever had a cellphone. I've never been sorry for that choice, and the thought of not having a BlackBerry device as an option in another year or less, really does put a lump in my throat.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    Keep your eyes out. I think you will be able to find one. About 6 weeks ago I had some money come my way, from an unexpected source: enough for a KEY2 . But I wanted silver and could not find one. But I watched like a hawk the reputable re-sale sites and found one in mint condition on Swappa. So thankful I got it and am typing on it now. I don't want to even think about typing on a slab. I still hold out hope that they will somehow come up with a way to produce more pkb devices.
    antony99 and the_boon like this.
    08-14-19 03:56 AM
    Just a thought - but is this 'leak' a negotiating ploy from TCL?

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    08-14-19 04:20 AM
    You make a valid point. I think something that Chen should consider and maybe hasn't sufficiently, up to now, is that this approach reflects on the whole business, including on the seemingly unrelated parts. It is called ripple effect, or the culture, and some people do notice. The stock has floundered of late. Wisdom says that being reliable in small things is an indication of the capacity to be reliable in big things. Maybe the rest of the business is run differently, but this is a rather visible part of the business, if a small part. I think it will not help the business if this comes to a messy end. I do think it is a hopeful sign that BlackBerrry announced extension of support for BB10.
    I can assure you that the CISOs and CIOs buying Blackberry's enterprise products understand that BlackBerry Limited isn't making b these phones and don't care what happens to BlackBerry Mobile, its phones, or its consumer market.

BlackBerry has to show growth in enterprise software sales to please investors. If mobile was bringing in tens of millions of dollars a year in profits, BlackBerry Limited would certainly care, but if not, it's a distraction.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-14-19 05:56 AM
    BlackBerry's current customers couldn't care less about handsets - there is zero overlap.
    08-14-19 06:55 AM
    I can assure you that the CISOs and CIOs buying Blackberry's enterprise products understand that BlackBerry Limited isn't making b these phones and don't care what happens to BlackBerry Mobile, its phones, or its consumer market.

BlackBerry has to show growth in enterprise software sales to please investors. If mobile was bringing in tens of millions of dollars a year in profits, BlackBerry Limited would certainly care, but if not, it's a distraction.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Some here don't get it... BlackBerry Ltd is pretty much done with smartphones, and shareholders (other than some here) are happy with that.

Smartphone business is a tough one, outside of Apple, Samsung, Huawei and BKK Electronics, I not sure it's a business worth being in.
    TgeekB and pdr733 like this.
    08-14-19 08:29 AM
    BlackBerry's current customers couldn't care less about handsets - there is zero overlap.
    I don't know... I can still see how BlackBerry's UEM and Hardware could haved worked together. But that's something that we never really saw BlackBerry Ltd push with BBMo's devices.

So yes... at this point there is zero overlap.
    08-14-19 08:35 AM
    I don't know... I can still see how BlackBerry's UEM and Hardware could haved worked together. But that's something that we never really saw BlackBerry Ltd push with BBMo's devices.

So yes... at this point there is zero overlap.
    It only would have worked one way though - UEM may have driven handset sales, not the other way around.

I was simply saying that a lack of an update on a BBMo device (for example) affects BlackBerry business elsewhere in no way at all.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-14-19 08:41 AM
    This is a different situation: when the public realizes that Blackberry can not sell their security software succesful to smartphone companies -how will they find acceptance in other industries? I believe that the death of Blackberry branded phones will be a big beat for the reputation of the whole Blackberry business.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-14-19 09:18 AM
    This is a different situation: when the public realizes that Blackberry can not sell their security software succesful to smartphone companies -how will they find acceptance in other industries? I believe that the death of Blackberry branded phones will be a big beat for the reputation of the whole Blackberry business.

Posted via CB10
    The "public" are of zero concern to BlackBerry.

They deal with car companies, trucking companies, emergency relief agencies, enterprise CTOs, etc. None of them could give a rat's behind about what is happening in the land of licenced handsets.
    08-14-19 09:36 AM

They deal with car companies, trucking companies, emergency relief agencies, enterprise CTOs, etc. None of them could give a rat's behind about what is happening in the land of licenced handsets.
    I agree, BlackBerry Ltd's current customers are only concerned with what they are buying and "maybe" the general health of the company - not necessarily the stock price.

Now if BlackBerry's Android Secure was found to be a problem because of security issues, that might put the rest of the software in question. But that BlackBerry is in the same boat as LG, Sony, HTC and many others in not being able to turn a profit on smartphone.... most would say they should get out.
    Paulelmar18, phuoc and conite like this.
    08-14-19 09:57 AM
    This thread is such a downer.

Although I'm a die hard BB fan, I also dabble in other flagship devices having used the Note8, Essential Phone and Pixel 3 as my weekender and vacation devices where I couldn't give a flying fadoo about being productive. The cameras on the Note and Pixels are incredible and that's the only reason why I'll ever touch a non-BB. But the thought of having to use any of these slabs as my go-to daily driver to get me through my work day... ugh!

Thankfully, my KEY2 still operates flawlessly and with the upcoming Pie upgrade, I can see myself riding it out on that phone for at least another 2-3 years if (when) the BB well dries up. And no, I will not be using the Titan and it's malware infested trojan horses as a primary device! I'll be using Chuck's Google login for that one!
    KEY2 and Pixel 3 make a nice combo, that's what I'm using now.
    If I can get my hands on a solid Silver KEY2 or a newer Black unit, I could sell you my Red one.
    08-14-19 10:37 AM
    TCL buys services and software from BlackBerry just like Ford etc. There could be some negative fall out for both TCL and BlackBerry. Not saying that the fallout is a big issue for either company but it not a nothing.
    CrackPriv and joshualebowitz like this.
    08-14-19 10:41 AM
    The underrating of public's awereness for security maybe right for America but not for Europe. People here have it in growing numbers. They have a look on BlackBerry smartphones. They did not buy so much not because they are not interested in BlackBerry security but because BBMobile/TCL made it so bad for too much money. I know a lot of people who hope BlackBerry will continue -but not with TCL. And tallking about Alcatel or Palm with PKB -they have zero chance here. There are millions who don't want to be part of the silly mainstream but of BlackBerry security in real good quality. May some shareholders accept it or no.
    08-14-19 10:58 AM
    They did not buy so much not because they are not interested in BlackBerry security but because BBMobile/TCL made it so bad.
    Bad how?

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ had great reviews - barring those that didn't push past the fact it had a keyboard.

Techradar:

"Sophisticated high-end design"

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

"Brick-like build quality"

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    08-14-19 11:06 AM
    fyi - UEM works best with BlackBerry Mobile devices. (feature set is greater). Knox is next best.
    08-14-19 11:17 AM
    Bad how?

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ had great reviews - barring those that didn't push past the fact it had a keyboard.

Techradar:

"Sophisticated high-end design"

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

"Brick-like build quality"

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."
    We all know the reality: bad advertisement, bad hardware, late or missing security updates, late or missing software updates, bad customer support, bad reputation at all. With a portion of luck it was possible to find a device without mistakes for a good price. I am one of the lucky ones but I know there are many who are not.
    08-14-19 11:21 AM
    We all know the reality: bad advertisement, bad hardware, late or missing security updates, late or missing software updates, bad customer support, bad reputation at all. With a portion of luck it was possible to find a device without mistakes for a good price. I am one of the lucky ones but I know there are many who are not.
    Security updates were only behind Android One, Google, and Rubin's own Essential.

Oreo was provided on schedule, as promised, for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion.

What actual statistical information do you have regarding overall support satisfaction or return rates? The vast majority of owners never even had to deal with support issues.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    08-14-19 11:33 AM
    fyi - UEM works best with BlackBerry Mobile devices. (feature set is greater). Knox is next best.
    Is there any difference in how BlackBerry's UEM manages a BlackBerry Android vs Android vs KNOX?
    08-14-19 11:54 AM
    Is there any difference in how BlackBerry's UEM manages a BlackBerry Android vs Android vs KNOX?
    Neither Android for Work nor Knox are actually full EMM solutions. They are container solutions that still need to be managed by something.
    Last edited by conite; 08-14-19 at 12:12 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-14-19 11:59 AM
    If I can get my hands on a solid Silver KEY2 or a newer Black unit, I could sell you my Red one.
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind should my red KEY2 order fail to come through (ordered and PAID for it on April 29th!!!).

I do have a Silver KEY2 which is standing in the on-deck circle ready to retake its daily driver status from my current DD (KEY2 LE Atomic) should the red KEY2 order auto destruct. Unfortunately, I won't be parting with it as BBs never escape once they enter my collection!
    the_boon likes this.
    08-14-19 12:36 PM
    I have a new Key2 Silver that I got today.
    08-14-19 12:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    My point. If you can't do or don't care to do the small things how can you be reliable in the big things. It is about perception. The BlackBerry stock hasn't exactly been soaring recently. (Also referring to before today's market drop.)
    CrackPriv likes this.
    08-14-19 12:45 PM

As an owner of a late model Ford vehicle who when upgrading to a new vehicle would take such things into consideration, it matters.
    PS. Also as a stockholder.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 08-14-19 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added a PS.
    CrackPriv and joshualebowitz like this.
    08-14-19 12:51 PM
321 ... 678910 ...