12-11-19 01:57 PM
530 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Sales figures drastically proved otherwise.

I wish there was a magic solution to keyboard-readoption, but I don't know what it is.
    I believe you would be the first to agree that timing and market conditions always play a huge roll. Regardless, we can speculate and dream, it's cost free!

Posted via my Passport
    11-18-19 06:12 PM
    That's my point, isn't it! The form factor was never widely known and late to the game. You speak of the 4th row of Keys, have you actually spent any amount of time with the 3 row configuration? It is not a set back at all, infact with the combination of the Virtual keys is actually quite comfortable and efficient. Plus, that's how you get to work wide!

Posted via my Passport
    As long as your microphone works... not to mention the loss of productivity by not having a fingerprint sensor.
    11-19-19 02:22 AM
    That's my point, isn't it! The form factor was never widely known and late to the game. You speak of the 4th row of Keys, have you actually spent any amount of time with the 3 row configuration? It is not a set back at all, infact with the combination of the Virtual keys is actually quite comfortable and efficient. Plus, that's how you get to work wide!

Posted via my Passport
    There is a simple idiom that describes BlackBerry physical keyboard phone design since the PRIV: Jack of all trades, master of none.

The sad reality is, they were further ahead 5+ years ago...before screen considerations made the keyboard an afterthought.
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-19-19 07:39 AM
    There is a simple idiom that describes BlackBerry physical keyboard phone design since the PRIV: Jack of all trades, master of none.

The sad reality is, they were further ahead 5+ years ago...before screen considerations made the keyboard an afterthought.
    So then why the concern about BBMo not having a booth of their own at MWC this upcoming year? If you now think five years ago was better, what do you expect to put in their MWC spot?
    11-19-19 08:31 AM
    So then why the concern about BBMo not having a booth of their own at MWC this upcoming year? If you now think five years ago was better, what do you expect to put in their MWC spot?
    I would at least expect to see some post Christmas chocolates, a dear Jon letter and a broken Champaign glass with the dreams of every BlackBerry enthusiast spilt out on the floor for starters!

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 11-19-19 at 03:43 PM.
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-19-19 01:02 PM
    Had the Passport had traditional PKB, it was speculated it might have sold better. I believe problem at time was the 1:1 ratio and the dimensions of actual Passport required the additional row be a VKB and that’s a memory from long ago so it’s vague. Don’t forget that I have a Passport and just don’t use anymore.
    I wouldn't have purchased a Passport if it had come with a traditional 4 row keyboard. I love the 3 row. I love this phone period. Love the screen size etc. For people having to read a lot of documents or emails the Passport is much more suited than the classic with its small screen.

Posted via CB10
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-23-19 06:24 PM
    I wouldn't have purchased a Passport if it had come with a traditional 4 row keyboard. I love the 3 row. I love this phone period. Love the screen size etc. For people having to read a lot of documents or emails the Passport is much more suited than the classic with its small screen.

Posted via CB10
    For every person that likes the form, there’s probably 2 or 3 who don’t and supported the Classic or Key device. There’s a reason all the carriers supported the Q10 and Classic but not the Passport and it’s simply the safe bet with the years of sales data. That also explains the KEYone, the Key2 and Key2 LE now.
    11-23-19 07:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Being able to fit more on the screen has nothing to do with the 3-row keyboard. The Passport and Classic both have 1:1 displays but the Passport has quadruple the resolution. Adding a fourth row would not have taken away from the screen; it would have just lengthened the phone underneath the screen. And in fact the lack of a fourth row actually gives less screen space because you have a virtual fourth row taking up real estate. BlackBerry wanted a squarish device to look like an actual passport.
    11-26-19 05:08 PM
    For every person that likes the form, there’s probably 2 or 3 who don’t and supported the Classic or Key device. There’s a reason all the carriers supported the Q10 and Classic but not the Passport and it’s simply the safe bet with the years of sales data. That also explains the KEYone, the Key2 and Key2 LE now.
    I really wish we knew the production numbers on the BB10 devices...
    11-27-19 08:37 AM
    This is a bummer of a post. I'm optimistic we will see 1 more device KEY3 and maybe even the Slider but if not go ahead and let other manufacturers license the keyboard so it lives on. I'll keep running my LE on android 8 that just received the latest security update. I won't be using a slab until I'm forced to.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-27-19 08:40 AM
    This is a bummer of a post. I'm optimistic we will see 1 more device KEY3 and maybe even the Slider but if not go ahead and let other manufacturers license the keyboard so it lives on. I'll keep running my LE on android 8 that just received the latest security update. I won't be using a slab until I'm forced to.
    Assuming worse case scenario that there are no new PKB's for the next several years, the KEY phones should still be serviceable until maybe 2023 or so at most
    11-27-19 08:42 AM
    Assuming worse case scenario that there are no new PKB's for the next several years, the KEY phones should still be serviceable until maybe 2023 or so at most
    Maybe if you stock up on one or two spare keyboard while you can.... might be wise to just have a whole backup phone. I don't think it will be like with BB10 where four year later you can still buy one new in the box.

But for those that are here because of security, I'm not sure going much beyond 2021 is going to really be possible. And that's IF a major flaw is found in some hardware design, driver or Android in general.
    11-27-19 09:01 AM
    At this point, I don't care about a KEY3. I only care about Pie on the KEY2!!! Otherwise, I'm going to be pushed out of the BB ecosystem! C'mon, BB Ltd, just give 9 to TCL already!
    11-27-19 10:08 AM
    At this point, I don't care about a KEY3. I only care about Pie on the KEY2!!! Otherwise, I'm going to be pushed out of the BB ecosystem! C'mon, BB Ltd, just give 9 to TCL already!
    I have Pie on my tablet, and I honestly don't know what the big deal is. The gestures are fine, if not a bit clumsy, but nothing a third party app can't do on Oreo. What is it that you think will improve your workflow with the update?

I too would like to have it out of Interest, but I can't imagine it dictating what kind of device I should be using.
    11-27-19 10:34 AM
    You’re better off asking BBMo/TCL if you can help pay their bill to BB itself
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-27-19 10:47 AM
    I have Pie on my tablet, and I honestly don't know what the big deal is. The gestures are fine, if not a bit clumsy, but nothing a third party app can't do on Oreo. What is it that you think will improve your workflow with the update?

I too would like to have it out of Interest, but I can't imagine it dictating what kind of device I should be using.
    I'm perfectly content with Oreo, but my company is enforcing Pie on May 1, 2020. And if I can't use a BB for work, than I can't have a BB as my daily driver. These are the stakes that are at risk here!!! A danfrancisco without a BB as a daily driver is like Superman without his cape!!
    app_Developer and elfabio80 like this.
    11-27-19 10:53 AM
    I'm perfectly content with Oreo, but my company is enforcing Pie on May 1, 2020. And if I can't use a BB for work, than I can't have a BB as my daily driver. These are the stakes that are at risk here!!! A danfrancisco without a BB as a daily driver is like Superman without his cape!!
    That I understand.

Frankly, once patches stop in the summer, that's the end of KEY² devices for business anyway.
    11-27-19 10:57 AM
    That I understand.

Frankly, once patches stop in the summer, that's the end of KEY² devices for business anyway.
    This feels different. The minimum requirement for Android devices at my company has been, for the longest time, Marshmallow. Patches drying up has never been an issue in the past so normally, I wouldn't be worried about the KEY2 patches ending (heck I could still use my PRIV and DTEKs for work today if I wanted). But for some reason, the decision has been made to bring up the minimum requirement all the way to 9, bypassing 7 and 8. Seems like other enterprises are doing the same thing so there's clearly something that is inherently more secure with 9 than even 8.

I don't really know (or particularly care) about the inner workings or differences between 8 and 9. I agree with you, the gestures in 9 are not overly impressive. Quite frankly, I hardly notice a difference between 7 and 8. To me, the last noticeable leap was between 5 and 6 and then 6 to 7.
    11-27-19 11:07 AM
    This feels different. The minimum requirement for Android devices at my company has been, for the longest time, Marshmallow. Patches drying up has never been an issue in the past so normally, I wouldn't be worried about the KEY2 patches ending (heck I could still use my PRIV and DTEKs for work today if I wanted). But for some reason, the decision has been made to bring up the minimum requirement all the way to 9, bypassing 7 and 8. Seems like other enterprises are doing the same thing so there's clearly something that is inherently more secure with 9 than even 8.

I don't really know (or particularly care) about the inner workings or differences between 8 and 9. I agree with you, the gestures in 9 are not overly impressive. Quite frankly, I hardly notice a difference between 7 and 8. To me, the last noticeable leap was between 5 and 6 and then 6 to 7.
    I suspect a jump would also make sense with 24 month security updates on the OEMs that care. This could actually be a much bigger shakeout, Enterprise requiring nothing older than previous current generation OS with current security. The biggest 4-5 Android OEM plus Google proprietary have been doing this.
    11-27-19 04:37 PM
    Try anything but a blackberry, and you'll realize how much of a dinosaur Chen turned blackberry into.

My switch after having my key1 doused and being a BB supporter to a cheap zte, showed me just how behind this tired brand has become.
    John Albert and elfabio80 like this.
    12-03-19 08:09 AM
    Try anything but a blackberry, and you'll realize how much of a dinosaur Chen turned blackberry into.

My switch after having my key1 doused and being a BB supporter to a cheap zte, showed me just how behind this tired brand has become.
    Chen got BlackBerry out of the smartphone business. And being behind has been in the BlackBerry DNA long before Chen. The first Android phones really are where specs started being defined. And if you looked at the specs of a 2008 BlackBerry.... it was behind. But BBOS was a solid OS (other than on the under powered STORM).

TCL is the one that took that already old Mercury design and moved forward with it without updating it. But I'm not sure that really put them "behind". It was meant to be middle grade phone. Yeah they did use the word premium way too much when talking about their products, but that's what sales people do.

KEY2 used a very current spec - it was just overpriced by about $200. PKB lovers had to pay for having a PKB.... clearly that feature isn't enough to drive YoY sales.
    12-03-19 08:23 AM

Why are you blaming Chen for BBMo/TCL products?
    12-03-19 09:07 AM
    Hello why 2023?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 12:50 PM
    Hello why 2023?

Posted via CB10
    Knowing boon and his PRIV days, I’d suspect it’s because Android Marshmallow has been supported around five years so add five years to Key2 introduction in 2018 timeframe.
    12-03-19 01:31 PM

Huh?
    How is the KEY2 any worse than most Androids besides a slightly smaller screen?

The processor/camera may not be the best of the best but the phone is definitely a workhorse.
    12-03-19 01:36 PM
530 ... 1718192021 ...