Just happy the police did not end up blasting this innocent Blackberry user with bullets.

More than a dozen law enforcement officers stormed a building at Carroll College on Thursday after receiving a report of a man with a gun, but the supposed weapon turned out to be a Blackberry handheld device.

At least 16 officers from the Helena Police Department, the Lewis and Clark County Sheriffs Office and the Montana Highway Patrol responded to the afternoon call, Helena Police Lt. Roger Johnson said.

An employee in the student union building reported a man put a handgun in his pocket as he entered the building.

Responding officers began a very aggressive response prepared for someone with bad intentions, Johnson said.

People in the immediate area were evacuated, and authorities prepared to use the reverse 911 system to call all of the phones on campus.

Officers resolved the situation about 15 minutes after receiving the initial call.

The employee subsequently identified the man, who was at the college to attend a health conference, Johnson said.

College president Thomas Trebon described the situation as an honest and fair misunderstanding but said he was pleased with the quick response.

Source:
    Helena Independent Record
    12-02-07 12:12 PM
    How in the world does a BB look like a gun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-07 12:23 PM
    hahaah what blackberry was it?
    12-02-07 12:25 PM
    Lol well great training for the emergency services for response time and execution of procedures. Probably scared the crap outta the guy with the blackberry,
    12-02-07 12:43 PM
    Now that's what you call a Blackberry shoot out
    12-02-07 12:47 PM
    That is crazy! A BB mistaken for a gun!?!??! On a similar note, I had to go into the courthouse recently. I put my wallet, spare change, and keys in the little basket to go through the x-ray machine. They mistook my car key for a knife because it is a switch-blade type key. I showed them how the key works, but they still wouldn't let me take my key in with me. I had to leave it with security and pick it up on the way out. Now, that's crazy!
    12-02-07 01:23 PM
    What in the world!! Since when does a BlackBerry slightly resemble a gun!! That was just plain stupid.
    12-02-07 01:29 PM
    A BB gun....? hmmm.
    12-02-07 05:39 PM
    A BB gun....? hmmm.
    I think people are just very on edge these days. I am not sure how you get gun out of blackberry. But, someone sees something black in someones hand as they put it in their pocket and think gun. Doesn't surprise me.
    12-02-07 05:56 PM
    A BB gun....? hmmm.
    hahaha a BB Gun.. pffft it should shoot pointed pellets. =)
    12-02-07 07:28 PM
    BlackBerry mistaken for a gun??? Wow...

12-03-07 05:35 AM
    Very unfortunate. But, it's going to happen

12-04-07 06:46 PM
    LMAO!!! That is too funny!!!!!!!
    12-04-07 07:03 PM
    I own several guns... None of them resemble my 8830. I do however carry a gun daily...along with my 8830.

With all of the school shootings, people are a little over zealous and quick to react.
    12-04-07 10:01 PM
    Well I dunno about a BB being mistaken for a gun, but the other day some dude at worked asked if he could see my "Treo"...I COULD have killed him...lol
    12-05-07 02:33 AM
    Well, I don't think it looks like a gun, but my otterbox defender case for the pearl is going to be here in a day or two and I'm pretty sure that I could use it to club someone if I had to :-D
    12-05-07 02:44 AM
    Who knows what the guy thought he may have seen. Chances are they guy with the BB was doing something stupid or suspicious to make someone else in the building think he had a gun. Its not all that hard for a black object to resemble a gun depending on how it is held/hidden and how the person observes it. Just hope it wasnt the red pearl LOL
    12-05-07 03:41 AM
    I find that very hard to believe. Wow...Not even close.
    12-05-07 08:35 AM
    BB > Gun...I dont get it!
    12-09-07 08:53 AM
    *stops referring to "Titanium" 8320 as "Gunmetal"*
    12-10-07 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD