07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 ... 678910 ...
tools
    A BlackBerry Android handheld secured by BES12 with Knox 2.0 preloaded with Work Life, SecuSUITE, and BlackBerry Experience would be a compelling value proposition to a lot of enterprise clients.
    According to a lot of folks, BYOD has already taken over, meaning most enterprises don't care one bit about BlackBerry grade security. Now theses same orgs are going to get excited about BES12 with Knox 2.0 preloaded with Work Life, and SecuSUITE?

If anything, BlackBerry would completely alienate whatever core customers they have left (ie G8, ultra secure government orgs, etc) if they move to Android.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-05-15 02:29 PM
    I mean like can the current BlackBerry 10 hardware support android fully?

I don't know the architecture of each and how they are built.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    yes it will be no issue. Android runs quite well on far less specs than bb10 devices currently have
    03-05-15 02:34 PM
    Which is the problem... they faced with the PlayBook. How do you keep some devices secure and yet allow other users to unlock the Boot Rom so Android can be installed?

Of course if they do allow it to be done to BB10 devices, not much of a reason why they couldn't do it for the old PlayBooks.
    they can still have locked bootloader. Many android OEMs used to have a locked bootloader and it had to be cracked. I am confident BB can have the same security with the bootloader on android as they do with bb10
    03-05-15 02:35 PM
    how about ubuntu touch?
    03-05-15 02:37 PM
    how about ubuntu touch?
    what does that gain over bb10?
    03-05-15 02:45 PM
    BlackBerry's Enterprise tools for Android that I've mentioned a couple times already, lol. They're also in CrackBerry's blogs.
    Ah... dumb me... I didn't noticed (sarcasm).
    Where does it make this suite granted * under Android * for US gov and similar organisms worldwide ?
    Such agreement take years to get. Then it takes another couple of years to make your - say - approved SW and HW to be ordered, distributed and paid. Like I said, 2 years is a gimmie.
    Are we talking about real life here or a SIM ?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:51 PM
    Indeed. And he will try to hide this as long as it is possible to not to kill the smartphone division before the switch happens as that Nokia CEO (from MS^^) did with Nokias Symbian/Meego devices. Some observations make me feel that it could happen in the near future:

- On MWC, BB10 wasn't mentioned. Instead, they focused on Multi-platform Software and BES
    - There is no roadmap concerning future BB10 releases, not even for developers.
    - A switch will be quite easy for them when lots of important parts/apps of BB10 OS are already ported onto Android
    The more I think about this, the more I think we are all misunderstanding what this actually means. If anyone is familiar with Good on an iPhone or iPad, you know it is an app icon on the grid. When selected, it opens up and shows a view (container) into your enterprise account (email, calendar, contacts, etc). I have a feeling this is what BB is aiming for with BES. Except they are going to leverage BB10 components within their BES containers. Really, I doubt that the functionality will be anything like what we have on a BB10 phone. It will probably be a case of them using the name 'Hub', but really, all the user will see is their corporate email. And the contacts will not link to FB, etc, it will just be a view of their corporate address book. I think that whole announcement was more sizzle than steak. these features will not be available to other devices as there would be too deep a level of integration required with the OS to make them function like they do on BB10? How will the HUB on iOS get access to iMessages, etc?
    03-05-15 03:00 PM
    If the BlackBerry Experience is going to be ready this year.. not much need for a runtime.

While they are "old" the Z10 and Z30 aren't bad device for the price... letting users install full Android might allow BlackBerry to move some inventory. But then if they are not OHA approved devices to begin with, not sure how that would work. Does Android do any type of "check" before it installs? Can you take an non OHA device and install full Android on it?
    BlackBerry experience will be a pure enterprise play IMO and will function just like Good does on an iPhone/iPad.
    03-05-15 03:01 PM
    According to a lot of folks, BYOD has already taken over, meaning most enterprises don't care one bit about BlackBerry grade security. Now theses same orgs are going to get excited about BES12 with Knox 2.0 preloaded with Work Life, and SecuSUITE?

If anything, BlackBerry would completely alienate whatever core customers they have left (ie G8, ultra secure government orgs, etc) if they move to Android.
    Some enterprises do not worry about security until the thief is in the door, Sony. I don't think it is a matter of Blackberry needs Android to survive. Blackberry needs revenue. It is more of a matter of what Google and Samsung or other companies need, or even a perceived need, and that is the potential security or even perceived security that they can add for their customers. And by customers I mean Enterprise customers. Enterprise customers do want and need to support BYOD and will. Think about the sell if they can bring products that have more perceived security than they currently do. I think are willing to work with Blackberry to find a way to get it. I think a lot of the other BB tools such as Hub are nice but they don't necessarily need those.

Don't get me wrong, I see a place for the Hardware business, but I think it will be a niche business for BB. I hope so anyway so I can always get my BB phone fix.
    03-05-15 03:07 PM
    Ah... dumb me... I didn't noticed (sarcasm).
    Where does it make this suite granted * under Android * for US gov and similar organisms worldwide ?
    Such agreement take years to get. Then it takes another couple of years to make your - say - approved SW and HW to be ordered, distributed and paid. Like I said, 2 years is a gimmie.
    Are we talking about real life here or a SIM ?

Posted via CB10
    Going to have to report you... Somebody has hacked Superfly's account and is posting doubt about the whole future of the "BlackBerry Experience".....

I know what you really doubt is that BB10 might not be around in the near future, but it sure seems like that is the direction they are moving in. So it makes sense for Chen to be working with Samsung to provide those high security devices using KNOX with the "BlackBerry Experience", and then to provide the "BlackBerry Experience" for the average enterprise users that need some security, but are more concerned with the management of devices. So maybe a Samsung device with a keyboard and Android with the "Experience" preloaded...

Too be honest we don't know what the future holds for hardware or software.... but if sales of the Classic aren't through the roof, I doubt development of BB10 will go much further. So Chen has to work with what IS selling, and try get something out of it.
    03-05-15 03:21 PM
    What's crystal clear to me is that there's no way BB can make money selling 5-6M phones a year when they've got to make 8-12 hardware variants (not counting color options) between models and radios. There's just not enough efficiency of scale there. If they were making a single model with 2-3 radio variants, then maybe they could get away with those sales numbers....
    The good thing is that 'world phone' radio chips are now becoming a reality, so that will cut down on the number of variants needed. It would certainly make inventory management easier, resulting in more money saved by Blackberry. As for colors, well.. I don't think that's really important. Just make them all black, lol.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-05-15 03:38 PM
    Cut.

Troy - do you like anything BlackBerry? Is anything an option for them in your eyes? Short of declaring bankruptcy, selling the patents and going home? Is there a single solitary thing you like? Even one?
    I am not Troy, but I tend to agree with him.

Where my views differ, is on the matter of emerging markets.
    There is so much growth and potential in those markets, that every non-luxury smartphone maker should focus on those.
    For me, this is pretty much everyone except Apple and even though Samsung might think that they are a premium smartphone producer, they aren't. The price of the Galaxy Edge is through the roof. They suffer delusions of grandeur, if they think that they can emulate Apple's pricing and HDD upgrade strategy.

Smartphones are general purpose devices, getting enhanced by apps.
    One could say that the current manufacturers/Google have found a way to outsource an immense part of R&D for software functions, that now don't have to be built in anymore, or would have been impossible to build in, in terms of scope (the number of apps out there is incredibe, if we think about it) anyhow.

This doesn't mean that 1st party solutions aren't needed/wanted though. If we look at BES/Apple Pay(Cloud)/MS Office this is obvious.

We now should combine this, with the fact that ecosystems in emerging markets aren't as advanced as "ours" and that different countries/markets have completely different needs.
    One of the most obvious examples would be microcredits (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit) or that a lot of people in emerging markets use their smartphone as the primary way to connect to the Internet.

Those factors combined, make me believe that, if BlackBerry wants to continue to produce smartphones, then they have to focus all of their efforts into emerging markets, while providing first party solutions that provide value added services.

I fully understand that the market is already crowded and that Android is cheaper.
    But the market in the "developed" world is just too hard to compete in, for BlackBerry. The status quo won't change much. The superior ecosystems and app stores are soooooo far ahead of BlackBerry in those regions, that the game is over in the consumer market.
    The contrary is the case for emerging markets, as there still is a lot of room for growth.

In case of BlackBerry's current plans, I think of one SaaS that is basically made for emerging markets:
    The virtual second SIM.
    Emerging markets love dual sim phones, and if BlackBerry would make that a consumer service, I believe that they could make a lot of cash.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 03-05-15 at 04:14 PM.
    03-05-15 03:43 PM
    I see a place for the Hardware business, but I think it will be a niche business for BB. I hope so anyway so I can always get my BB phone fix.
    I'd like to see Blackberry go software-only. They could offer a 'secure Android' variant to manufacturers. It could offer improved multitasking by incorporating QNX, and also include the Hub, onscreen keyboard, BBM, BBM Meetings, etc. More importantly, it could come with all the Google apps and services.
    03-05-15 03:43 PM
    how about ubuntu touch?
    I like the 'scopes' concept in Ubuntu Touch, but other than that... not really much there of value. I think Scopes would go nicely with the Hub.
    03-05-15 03:46 PM
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve. If BlackBerry can help there then nothing is impossible. As you said, Google makes their own rules and can change when they want. Not so sure ASUS or MS had anything beneficial to offer Google at the time they squashed their products.
    You are so right Bla1ze. If BlackBerry is going to sit and improve its OS and also improve Android at the same time it is becoming a software solutions company, which is exactly what it is trying to be. I think we have a great CEO at the helm trying to turn the company on its head and become less dependant on hardware.

BlackBerry will still make phones to support its software and solutions. What software design it takes is in the hands of the management... but I would certainly like full android capabilities with playstore, in terms of Apps, running inside the BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:52 PM

- On MWC, BB10 wasn't mentioned. Instead, they focused on Multi-platform Software and BES
    This was the "curious incident of the dog in the night."

"But the dog did nothing during the night."

"That was the curious incident."

How do you not mention the OS when the most feature-rich version of it has just been released?

Sent via Tapatalk
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-05-15 03:56 PM
    That is so not true. How one feels about blackberry technology affects how one feels a out their business prospects. It also affects the tone of one's wild factless speculation: if you feel that there isn't much to like about BlackBerry technology over that of its competitors how could you possibly have confidence in any strategy that sees BlackBerry maintain a unique niche market position, profitably.

Your disclosure about the Hub not being your cup of tea explains so much, thank you for that clarification. Now your hopelessness about blackberry's prospects has context I can understand, but not agree with.

Posted via CB10
    You are interpreting far too much, and your implied thought, that everyone who writes negatively about BB10/BB just don't like them, is so simplistic and ridiculous that I wonder if you are actually serious.

I have a Z10 as my private phone, and an HTC One as my business phone. I will buy the BB10 slider as my private phone as well. That should tell you more than enough.

But still, nonetheless, I agree a ~ 90% with what Troy says most of the time.
    BlackBerry is pretty close to never produce smartphones again and their decisions to focus on keyboard phones, launching overpriced phones, taking 6 years too long for BB10 and also putting up the for sale sign, were all terrible management mistakes.
    ("who wants to use the web on his phone?", "who wants to type on glass?")
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 04:01 PM
    Boasting about providing service to the G8 is akin to boasting about being the preferred phone choice of C-suite executives.

We've been waiting for the G8 to make their windfall bulk upgrade purchases for 2 years now and BBRY revenue continue to deteriorate at an alarming rate. It is safe to conclude that either 1/ the G8 sales volume is insignificant or 2/ the G8 has a different preferred smartphone provider.

It is financially illogical to consider the needs of the G8 given this knowledge. BBRY needs to refocus on the customer base that matters, which is consumers. If even a small fraction of consumers reconsider Blackberry, that would be significantly more unit sales than the G8.
    03-05-15 04:11 PM
    There's a whole lot to like about BB, sure. BB10 is a quality OS. Security when coupled with BES is first-class. Management on an enterprise level is terrific. While not my own personal preference, I can see why many people would desire the Hub and find it incredibly useful for them.
    Cool. You know, that's the first time I've ever see you say you actually like anything. Made me wonder why you even came here.

Next up - I challenge JeepBB, birdman_38, scalemaster34 and the other lead candidates for the "everything is awful in every way, all the time, under every circumstance" club presidency to actually see if there's a single solitary thing they like.
    03-05-15 04:15 PM
    Cool. You know, that's the first time I've ever see you say you actually like anything. Made me wonder why you even came here.

Next up - I challenge JeepBB, birdman_38, MarsupilamiX and the other lead candidates for the "everything is awful in every way, all the time, under every circumstance" club presidency to actually see if there's a single solitary thing they like.
    Just look up, brah.
    Also, I was one of the hardest supporters of BB10 on here when it launched.
    But apart from my personal preference, I am someone who tries to be objective, when I post. I can't say that BlackBerry's strategy is great, when their whole product portfolio is bad as aff, under the assumption that BlackBerry actually wants to regain marketshare.

I don't even think that BlackBerry itself will die. Just the hardware division, without some brilliant ideas.
    03-05-15 04:16 PM
    According to a lot of other folks, BYOD is an experiment thought to lower costs but didn't, was thought would not introduce security risks but has, would increase employee efficiency but hasn't, and POSSIBLY improved employee morale, but at the cost of those other things.

There are no absolutes and for many maybe not even the majority of BYOD adopters, they are revoking that policy even if only for key personnel.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 04:17 PM
    Just look up, brah.
    I took ya off. Saw the Torch comments and the one above.

You're up, Birdman.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-05-15 at 05:30 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 04:20 PM
    Honestly, I don't understand why google isn't more lax about using google play services. You know that you have one of the best collection of services so why not just allow other providers to use these services for a fee or something. I'm sure there is a reason but trying to prevent other OSs from becoming popular is not a good reason.
    Why isn't google more lax about google play services? It's because google's entire business model is built on spying on google services users. The "open" nature of android os is the con. It's not open when it's good for nothing without the "eco system": google services and all other android apps which probably by default, by their very nature share with google..
    03-05-15 04:23 PM
    You are interpreting far too much, and your implied thought, that everyone who writes negatively about BB10/BB just don't like them, is so simplistic and ridiculous that I wonder if you are actually serious.
    I don't care what you think.

CB10 developers, can we PLEASE do SOMETHING about masking posts from users on the Ignore list? It really diminishes the apps value.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 04:25 PM
    Going to have to report you... Somebody has hacked Superfly's account and is posting doubt about the whole future of the "BlackBerry Experience".....
    I'm not at all... but you know that, right
    There's a difference between being secure and get the same level of certification/agreement BlackBerry currently has. That's my point.
    Time and money.

I just saw this article, whose title seems meaningful about OP topic :
    "BlackBerry Rejects Mainstream Smartphones For*Profitable Niche* Markets"
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...inkId=12719066

Oh, and just before I get a 'wtf Forbes'... this has been TWed by...

BlackBerry might be switching to Android [Rumor]-img_20150305_232308.png

But I guess I've squatted enough, who am I to fight a sexy rumor, anyways. (I've been caught at it more than once, I'm not blaming anybody).

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 04:32 PM
461 ... 678910 ...