07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Blackberry with Android OS makes a lot of sense, I like BB10 and since I moved from the Z30 to a Sony Xperia Z3 I have missed having the hub, build quality (the Sony is good but feels a bit flimsy) the main thing I have missed though is the virtual keyboard.

What blackberry could do is use BB10 purely for the enterprise market and put android on the phones that they sell to consumers. Think about it android is very customisable we could have the blackberry hub, virtual keyboard and build quality that you get with a blackberry device which is second to none, we could have that and have the Android app ecosystem. In my opinion it's a win win. It makes sense for blackberry to do that.
    They could only do this if they removed the Android Runtime from BB10 - the OHA prevents members from making phones with forks of Android (and that's what BB10 with the Android Runtime is considered by the OHA), and you don't get Google Play and Google Services Framework without being an OHA member.

Think enterprise would buy BB10 phones with no Android Runtime, and thus, no access to apps?
    03-05-15 12:35 PM
    It would be foolish of John Chen not to study the possibility. Maybe it's a way for them to recoup some of those losses.
    He did, is and will.

A BlackBerry Android handheld secured by BES12 with Knox 2.0 preloaded with Work Life, SecuSUITE, and BlackBerry Experience would be a compelling value proposition to a lot of enterprise clients.
    Now ? Are you serious ? What's your timeframe to reach a similar experience and level of security ? At what cost ? My two years is a gimmie, $3Billion is not enough, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-05-15 at 12:49 PM.
    03-05-15 12:36 PM
    I would love to have the hub on my nexus 6. That would fix one of androids biggest problems for me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-05-15 12:38 PM
    A lot of you guys don't see what me and bla1ze see. You guys are still talking duel booting. BlackBerry will give you 1 os, Idk if Google will also adopt the QNX Kernel with android secured in the space or not but it will happen. Thanks to Hypervisor solution, BlackBerry can safely secure android while running BlackBerry 10. It might be some hurdles but it will happen. Chen talked about 1 device for all. 2 or more OS's on 1 device working and talking to each other.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    People have been crying about the app situation forever. Now BB is trying to give them access to apps and now people are crying about that. Blackberry will never change their core focus on security first. It's their bread and butter no matter how small their piece of bread is. They will make sure Android is secure first, and then deploy it within BB10. I don't get all the hysteria. Are fans of the company or the phones? support the company and let's help them get back to their place at the head of the table.
    edwinsberry likes this.
    03-05-15 12:49 PM
    We're already well down the path I predicted here several years ago, and Chen is quickly running out of ground - in the next couple of quarters, if the hardware business isn't profitable, some big changes will almost certainly be made
    Hi Troy! wana be pragmatic ?
    The big changes you're talking about - if they cant gain profit* from devices - is droping the HW business not going for another hypothetical run.
    Chen has been clear about it.

* profit is not only sell with margin (they do, presently), it's raising company profitability. This means BlackBerry could afford a slim loss on devices (2-4 years life time) to promote recurring services fees aka CALs.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-05-15 12:57 PM
    Are you serious ? What's your timeframe to reach a similar experience and level of security ? At what cost ? My two years is a gimmie, $3Billion is not enough, if you ask me.
    All of those tools are already in place. They're being offered to other manufacturers this year.
    03-05-15 01:06 PM
    BB10 as it stands will never win the consumer market back. Ever. It's simply not enough.
    I think the notion of BB10 devices gaining mass market consumer adoption went out the door with Heins, but that idea isn't the same thing as "profitable devices business"

Not even for me, a sysadmin, who loves BB10 and sells it to others. If BB10 still wants consumers
    don't we agree that enterprise is the focus of their strategy whether or not prosumers also purchase their devices?

then switching to Android is the way to go, there's no reason why they can't have both. They're apparently already offering the bulk of their functions to all platforms, how is the hub going to even work properly if it's not part of the OS?
    It don't see how the hub could offer third party app developers "hub integration" but it would support the same services as BB10 OotB does.

I see no reason to balk at the idea, people were upset about BBM going multiplatform, diehards always have to be dragged through progress kicking and screaming. Personally anything that can generate revenue for BB I'm all for as I'd much rather see it survive humbly and picked apart.
    I agree up to the point that BB10 and BlackBerry devices fall away. And I feel the dismay of those that advocate against core BB10 differentiators going multi platform because it is a step by blackberry down that dark path. At that point I'll probably go iOS with BlackBerry Hub. etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-05-15 at 01:20 PM.
    03-05-15 01:06 PM
    Hi Troy! wana be pragmatic ?
    The big changes you're talking about - if they cant gain profit* from devices - is droping the HW business not going for another hypothetical run.
    Chen has been clear about it.

* profit is not only sell with margin (they do, presently), it's raising company profitability. This means BlackBerry could afford a slim loss on devices (2-4 years life time) to promote recurring services fees aka CALs.
    More than that even at these low volumes hardware has been profitable. What isn't profitable is race to the bottom android clones. What is profitable. Smartly priced solid interesting phones with a closely managed supply chain. All Android vendors are struggling since they are all depending on high volume and slim margins.

Posted with my flash Passport
    03-05-15 01:11 PM
    But my post has nothing to do with whether or not I like BB or BB10.
    That is so not true. How one feels about blackberry technology affects how one feels a out their business prospects. It also affects the tone of one's wild factless speculation: if you feel that there isn't much to like about BlackBerry technology over that of its competitors how could you possibly have confidence in any strategy that sees BlackBerry maintain a unique niche market position, profitably.

Your disclosure about the Hub not being your cup of tea explains so much, thank you for that clarification. Now your hopelessness about blackberry's prospects has context I can understand, but not agree with.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:16 PM
    When Chen says that BlackBerry makes money on hardware, I don't think he is including the development costs of BB10, and that's a lot of money.
    That's software, indeed.
    Yet, if I remind correctly gross margin (SW+HW+Services) is presently in the 40%+ (was that 47 ?) area.
    03-05-15 01:21 PM
    All of those tools are already in place. They're being offered to other manufacturers this year.
    Curious : what are these "tools" you're talking about ?
    03-05-15 01:23 PM
    BlackBerry's Enterprise tools for Android that I've mentioned a couple times already, lol. They're also in CrackBerry's blogs.
    03-05-15 01:30 PM
    From BlackBerry's own press release....
    The BlackBerry Experience Suite includes three bundles of services that users would be able to purchase individually or together. They include:

BlackBerry Productivity Suite:
    • Manage work and personal messages, and edit documents across all devices effortlessly and securely;
    • Intelligent work flows and deeply integrated search helps tackle the highest priority communications first, including high-priority messages, documents and contacts, across devices and cloud sources;
    • Monitor all personal and work messages in one place - email, text, BBM, social accounts.
    BlackBerry Communication & Collaboration Suite:
    • Share and collaborate securely in real-time with colleagues through instant meetings, Wi-Fi voice calls, video chat and an integrated calendar view;
    • View and edit documents and calendar invitations across devices seamlessly and securely.

BlackBerry Security Suite:
    • Protect personal and work information from malware and data theft with BlackBerry’s secure encryption and privacy controls;
    • Secure emails, messages, phone calls and documents across any mobile computing environment;
    • Integrate and securely manage work and personal messages through separate containers.

BlackBerry will begin offering the BlackBerry Experience Suite later this year. For updates, more information and to get involved in the BlackBerry Experience Suite, visit blackberry.com/experience.
    Not sure if you guys are talking about the same things, but BlackBerry seems to be well on their way to having these ready for release. Just not sure how functional they'll be.....
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 01:40 PM
    Always make sure to question the source! N4BB have gotten the story wrong several times in the past.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular BlackBerry Passport
    I haven't seen anything wrong from that source. Passport, OS 10.3 release date, leap everything was to the point lol

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:48 PM
    That is so not true. How one feels about blackberry technology affects how one feels a out their business prospects.
    There are plenty of individuals who can separate their personal opinion of a company with the company's prospects in the future. Most importantly, you have to take into account the actual performance of the company in question. Is a person biased for saying a company that is in decline is declining? Should Galileo be persecuted for insisting that the Earth revolved around the sun?

Given Blackberry's long term trend of marketshare loss and profit/revenue decline, those pessimistic with regards to BBRY are less likely to be biased. Those optimistic really bet up the wrong tree. Recently, the share price of Blackberry has been gaining in a gradual trend but the fundamentals have yet to improve. Rather, they are merely stabilizing/"bottoming" or deteriorating more slowly. There is a case to be optimistic with regards to the future of the company. However, the future still looks bleak for the hardware department and BB10 as userbase and units sold continue to plummet.
    03-05-15 01:52 PM
    Duel boot may be?

Boot android
    Or
    Boot bb10

Posted via CB10
    Boot stupidity
    Or
    Boot intelligence

With diplomatic Passport
    03-05-15 01:54 PM
    I'm just curious if BlackBerry does switch to android, which seems like a long shot to me.

Will I be able to upgrade my Z30 to BlackBerry's android ROM?

Or will it stay on BlackBerry 10?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    03-05-15 02:03 PM
    I'm just curious if BlackBerry does switch to android, which seems like a long shot to me.

Or will it stay on BlackBerry 10?

no reason it couldnt as long as BB deems it so.
    03-05-15 02:12 PM

That would be pretty exciting. The smartest thing they could do is include a BB10 runtime to ease the transition. That would be pretty innovative.
    03-05-15 02:15 PM
    Which is the problem... they faced with the PlayBook. How do you keep some devices secure and yet allow other users to unlock the Boot Rom so Android can be installed?

Of course if they do allow it to be done to BB10 devices, not much of a reason why they couldn't do it for the old PlayBooks.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 02:18 PM
    Perhaps it's a fair question of where the OS devo costs are. I can't see how putting OS devo costs into software and not charge hardware for the OS would be kosher.

No doubt the Initial big devo costs happened yrs ago and perhaps were written down in the initial Z10,Q10 phones, but ongoing devo work for the OS is a hardware cost. Chen has software sales as software sold to customers.

Posted with my flash Passport
    03-05-15 02:19 PM
    Nokia tried running android. That failed. Sony is running android that's failing too.

If BlackBerry is going to run any form of android it better be almost rebuilt from ground up featuring everything that's "blackberry" meaning security and privacy, which is completely polar opposite of android.

Otherwise forget about it.

Posted via CB10
    And good luck getting access to Google Play in that scenario, which defeats the whole purpose. People need to give up the Android dream. There are Android OEM's that do Android FAR better than BlackBerry ever could, and THEY MAKE NO MONEY! Sigh...
    03-05-15 02:20 PM
    If the BlackBerry Experience is going to be ready this year.. not much need for a runtime.

While they are "old" the Z10 and Z30 aren't bad device for the price... letting users install full Android might allow BlackBerry to move some inventory. But then if they are not OHA approved devices to begin with, not sure how that would work. Does Android do any type of "check" before it installs? Can you take an non OHA device and install full Android on it?
    03-05-15 02:22 PM
    I mean like can the current BlackBerry 10 hardware support android fully?

I don't know the architecture of each and how they are built.

03-05-15 02:24 PM
    It would be foolish of John Chen not to study the possibility. Maybe it's a way for them to recoup some of those losses.
    How do they recoup? They save money on BB10 development costs, but they are still stuck in the dirty HW game. BB's HW is atrocious from a price to specs perspective. They will get creamed (more so than they are now). And it is completely counter to what they are trying to do. If anything, they abandon BB10 entirely. The dream scenario is that they build up some semblance of market share and then OEM's actually want to build phones for them (minus the Android run time which opens up more vendors to them to deal with). Ideally, BB wants to be more like Google (SW) and less like Apple (HW).
    03-05-15 02:25 PM
461 ... 56789 ...