07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 ... 23456 ...
tools
    simple. no.
    03-04-15 08:52 PM
    Make sense.
    03-04-15 08:56 PM
    The market was completely different back then. Apple and Google both saw two has-beens, and knew that the smartphone market could be so much more and they were right. For example, the first iPhone was released in 2007. Back then, the majority of people were still using feature phones. For the entire year of 2007, BlackBerry only shipped 11 million devices and they had a massive chunk of the market at that time. Fast forward to 2013, when BB10 was launched, and you had Apple selling 70+ million iOS devices every quarter. Android was doing even better at that time.

It was just too late for a company like BlackBerry to launch a new smartphone platform. Look at all the resources Microsoft has, yet they are still struggling to get a considerable amount of the market.

So looking back on it now, do you think it was a good idea to release BlackBerry 10 when they did? Honestly, other than the billions of dollars worth of write offs, and all of the new features for iOS, Android and Windows Phone users, what has BB10 accomplished in all this time that it has been on the market?
    My point is that it takes a bit of arrogance to challenge the market leaders. Currently, the challengers are in the Android space, with Chinese manufacturers giving Samsung a run.

Microsoft's problem is that they keep thinking that everyone wants to run Office, everywhere, all the time.

As for BlackBerry, they're no longer behind in terms of capability of their devices. Actually, for me, smartphones have become a commodity item in that any one of them could suit my purposes pretty well. There aren't any features I can't live without that aren't already there in most of the existing OS'es. What BlackBerry has accomplished is that they've become on par with capability. They need to differentiate and it looks like they're doing that with security. They don't have to have a huge market share. They just need to be profitable with what they do make and sell.

As for the time frame of when BB10 was released, good or bad. It is what it is. I don't dwell on what can't be changed. It's pointless to me to think up hypotheticals of how BlackBerry would have faired if they had released BB10 in 2007. Why not 2003? Moving forward, BlackBerry needs to build desirable devices and make a profit from them. They don't need to take over the market. Macs are doing fine in a majority Windows world. Leveraging off of Android is fine. Replacing BB10 with Android would be fine to, as long as the BlackBerry experience (GUI, gestures) and security is there.
    Witmen and Bsbudd like this.
    03-04-15 09:29 PM
    Enough of these Android gossip already. It's getting tiresome and wishful thinking of Android fan boys trying to troll the forums. I think you Android guys are just jealous BlackBerry have a better OS and feel a little insecure and so you come here to solicit your wishful thinking. Get a life please!
    03-04-15 09:32 PM
    Enough of these Android gossip already. It's getting tiresome and wishful thinking of Android fan boys trying to troll the forums. I think you Android guys are just jealous BlackBerry have a better OS and feel a little insecure and so you come here to solicit your wishful thinking.
    That's cute.
    03-04-15 09:39 PM
    I'm skeptical that they would do this, but is there even any technology benefit for BlackBerry doing this other than expanding the availability of third party apps? Sure, they get all the parts of Android that they have to develop on their own dime, but financial issues notwithstanding, what does Android give them (I don't mean "Google Services") that they don't already have in BB10?

I think a more interesting idea would be for BB to open source BB10 or license it to other OEMs. Those are the approaches I would try before I throw in the towel, because that's what going android is pretty much: they become an app vendor trying to compete with Google and Apple directly on core OS features, and have only a slightly higher market cap than Candy Crush Inc. I think the portfolio of devices abstractly bolsters their credibiliity in security: if they don't have custom best-of-breed security HARDWARE, they become another security software company of which there are many, and we all know how easily hacked and bypassed security software can be, so BlackBerry throws themselves in with the lot of "the Hackables" by turning their back on proprietary security technology.

And when the equivalent of "Apache HTTP Server" for MDM is produced by the "why should we pay MDM companies for monthly client license fees?" open source community... what's left but scraps of scraps?
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    03-04-15 09:41 PM
    Is there any technology benefit for BlackBerry doing this other than expanding the availability of third party apps? I think a more interesting idea would be for BB to open source BB10 or license it to other OEMs. Those are the approaches I would try before I throw in the towel, because that's what going android is pretty much: they become an app vendor trying to compete with Google and Apple directly on core OS features, and have only a slightly higher market cap than Candy Crush Inc. I think the portfolio of devices abstractly bolsters their credibiliity in security: if they don't have custom best-of-breed security HARDWARE, they become another security software company of which there are many, and we all know how easily hacked and bypassed security software can be, so BlackBerry throws themselves in with the lot of "the Hackables" by turning their back on proprietary security technology.

And when the equivalent of "Apache HTTP Server" for MDM is produced by the "why should we pay MDM companies for monthly client license fees?" open source community... what's left but scraps of scraps?
    The problem is no other manufacturers interested in BlackBerry 10 OS

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    03-04-15 09:48 PM
    A lot of you guys don't see what me and bla1ze see. You guys are still talking duel booting. BlackBerry will give you 1 os, Idk if Google will also adopt the QNX Kernel with android secured in the space or not but it will happen. Thanks to Hypervisor solution, BlackBerry can safely secure android while running BlackBerry 10. It might be some hurdles but it will happen. Chen talked about 1 device for all. 2 or more OS's on 1 device working and talking to each other.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    I'm not sure about that. I'd hate to see what kind of specs we'd need to run 2 OS's on one device. Especially if one of those OS's is Android.

I can't see how BlackBerry can ever gain access to the Playstore without going all in with Android. I can't see how that would be an improvement from where they are now. If no one wants a BB10 now, how does adding Android improve things? As others have said, if we wanted Android they are already plenty of choices on the market.

However, John Chen is quite the creative collaborator. 6 months ago I wouldn't have believed he would get a partnership with Samsung, nor did I see the benefit then. He clearly has a vision for BlackBerry and I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

If that vision involves killing BB10 or going Android, then I will part ways with BlackBerry but I will wish them well.

Posted via CB10
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    03-04-15 09:50 PM
    People don't want BB10 primarily because it lacks the applications that most consumers/professionals consider essential. I know many people in my personal circle who would immediately consider Blackerry as an option if they had access to the Google Play store. I think the Passport with Android while still being a niche product, would appeal to a much larger audience.

As for Chen's vision, hard to say. He seems able to form unexpected partnerships with ease but also seems extreme shrewd. I think at the end of the day, he wants to keep the hardware division alive but knows they need a hail marry pass to really change public perception.
    03-04-15 10:03 PM
    Based on some tweets from lucas from N4BB and james from BerryFlow, their insiders might have let them in on a secret. BlackBerry might be switching most of its OS to android. Somehow keeping BBM, the hub and a few other features native. If you think about it they did away with the games app, music and video, added the amazon app store and basically told devs to make android apps. Moving most of our native apps that make BlackBerry 10 special to other OS's. I get the need to be everywhere since nobody wants to be here but geez but the the hub thoooo?
    Attachment 338773

Posted By My BeastBerry
    Always make sure to question the source! N4BB have gotten the story wrong several times in the past.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular BlackBerry Passport
    03-04-15 10:10 PM
    So, let's just say this was true. Wouldn't they want to appeal to the all touch crowd with a smartphone that would potentially run BB10 and Android at the same time and not a slider phone? Sure, experiment aftwards, but a slider phone?
    Isn't a slider phone an all touch as well? One doesn't have to slide the pkb out to make full use of the phone.
    03-04-15 10:12 PM
    Enough of these Android gossip already. It's getting tiresome and wishful thinking of Android fan boys trying to troll the forums. I think you Android guys are just jealous BlackBerry have a better OS and feel a little insecure and so you come here to solicit your wishful thinking. Get a life please!
    funny.
    03-04-15 10:14 PM
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve. If BlackBerry can help there then nothing is impossible. As you said, Google makes their own rules and can change when they want. Not so sure ASUS or MS had anything beneficial to offer Google at the time they squashed their products.
    Yeah but the main security problem they have is them snooping on every one. That's the reason I switched to BlackBerry to begin with. I don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB and TheAuthority like this.
    03-04-15 10:14 PM
    BlackBerry going Android makes no sense. The big Android differentiator is HW. This also happens to be the area BlackBerry is weakest in.
    Physical keyboard Androids. There you have a big (negative) differentiator

I nearly hate Android by now (as I need to use it daily on my work phone), but even I understand the logical reasoning for going down that route.

It's not like it could actually be worse in terms of sales than it is now.
    Not like BlackBerry would suddenly gain access to everything in the Google ecosystem (that I try to avoid like the plague).

You don't need to be an Android fanboy to see the obvious.
    I'd instantly buy an iPhone the day this gets official though.

Isn't a slider phone an all touch as well? One doesn't have to slide the pkb out to make full use of the phone.
    Sarcasm?
    Please say yes...
    I've read so many of these posts where people were actually serious about that train of thought.

Yeah but the main security problem they have is them snooping on every one. That's the reason I switched to BlackBerry to begin with. I don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    Which is a reason why I avoid the Google ecosystem like a plague, except for YouTube.

And the reason why I don't use Android apps on my BlackBerry.

It's also one major reason why I'd never buy a full featured Android BlackBerry.

Based on some tweets from lucas from N4BB and james from BerryFlow, their insiders might have let them in on a secret. BlackBerry might be switching most of its OS to android. Somehow keeping BBM, the hub and a few other features native. If you think about it they did away with the games app, music and video, added the amazon app store and basically told devs to make android apps. Moving most of our native apps that make BlackBerry 10 special to other OS's. I get the need to be everywhere since nobody wants to be here but geez but the the hub thoooo?
    Attachment 338773

Posted By My BeastBerry
    Oh and thx OP for bringing that up!
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-04-15 10:23 PM
    switching? Like a light switch?
    03-04-15 10:35 PM
    I dont like this idea at all. It would be so foolish.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    03-05-15 12:35 AM
    I'm skeptical that they would do this, but is there even any technology benefit for BlackBerry doing this other than expanding the availability of third party apps?
    Outside of the initial investment, I believe the primary incentive for the swap to Blackberry is greatly reduced R&D costs.

I know that Crackberry would like to think otherwise; but, maintaining BB10 makes no sense financially for a company in Blackberry's position. Does any small Chinese OEM maintain an entirely Android independent OS? Blackberry wants to be an nimble as those companies and it shouldn't either if it wants to return to profitability. Going Android, Blackberry can hand the burden of OS development over to Google so that Blackberry could continue manufacturing a very small batch of handsets for years to come.

I think what adds credence to the rumor may be the dirge of all touch Blackberry devices. Blackberry knows that its touch offerings are overpriced and uncompetitive, especially if it transitions to Android and is preparing for this. Physical keyboards is enough of a differentiator by itself and from the keyboard phone perspective it never made sense for Blackberry to trap itself into a double niche: BB10 fans who happen to also love physical keyboards. Not to mention that it makes no sense that the most gesture heavy of the major OSes have devices with the most physical buttons. There should be a much bigger audience for Android physical keyboard devices.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-05-15 at 02:16 AM.
    03-05-15 01:49 AM
    And....running lolipop

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-05-15 01:54 AM
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve.
    The only stigma Android suffers is in the mind of Blackberry fans. Many OEMs with security credentials far exceeding Blackberry have opted to offer Android devices, such as Boeing. Furthermore, Google has >80% marketshare and has almost every OEM lining up to use Android for everything. Once Blackberry is snuffed out, the case against Google's security credentials becomes even more difficult to make in face of the lack of alternatives.

The bottom line is that Blackberry's stigma is crippling and affects sales. Google's stigma is an imaginary, fantastical invention. Blackberry trying to negotiate with Google while it has <0.5% marketshare thinking it has leverage is funnier than when Nokia tried to do so.
    JeepBB, Troy Tiscareno and Bsbudd like this.
    03-05-15 02:31 AM
    The only stigma Android suffers is in the mind of Blackberry fans. Many OEMs with security credentials far exceeding Blackberry have opted to offer Android devices, such as Boeing. Furthermore, Google has >80% markershare and has almost every OEM lining up to use Android for everything. Once Blackberry is snuffed out, the case against Google's security credentials becomes even more difficult to make in face of the alternatives.

The bottom line is that Blackberry's stigma is crippling and affects sales. Google's stigma is an imaginary, fantastical invention. Blackberry trying to negotiate with Google while it has <0.5% marketshare thinking it has leverage is funnier than when Nokia tried to do so. Furthermore, while Blackberry is largely off its radar, it would be much more beneficial to Google if BB10 died than to compromise. Google knows it has won through and through.
    Steve Ballmer's threat still stands. But he didn't finish it... ;-)
    Can Nadella do some damage...?

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-05-15 02:38 AM
    Moving to Android would make perfect sense. BB10 has been a flop so far and there are no signs that this is going to change. They have absolutely zero chance to improve the app situation. Btw: There have been other hints concerning Blackberrys running Android:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=983566
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-15 02:46 AM
    The only stigma Android suffers is in the mind of Blackberry fans. Many OEMs with security credentials far exceeding Blackberry have opted to offer Android devices, such as Boeing. Furthermore, Google has >80% marketshare and has almost every OEM lining up to use Android for everything. Once Blackberry is snuffed out, the case against Google's security credentials becomes even more difficult to make in face of the lack of alternatives.

The bottom line is that Blackberry's stigma is crippling and affects sales. Google's stigma is an imaginary, fantastical invention. Blackberry trying to negotiate with Google while it has <0.5% marketshare thinking it has leverage is funnier than when Nokia tried to do so.
    Google does have an image problem in terms of privacy, not security.
    But most smartphone buyers don't give an eff, so yeah...

In emerging markets it's simply a pricing question. Android phones are cheap, so they sell.

But yes, it indeed is hilarious when BlackBerry thinks that they have any sort of leverage.
    One might even call that thought "cute".

Personnaly I wouldn't want to buy an Android BlackBerry though. As my personal device, I probably don't want an Android ever again, no matter who produces the phone.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 02:57 AM
    I forget where, but didn't some company come up with dual boot technology? Or something about running some CPU cores on one OS and other cores on the other OS?
    03-05-15 03:11 AM
    With BB10 we currently have devices that runs with Android run-time with support and does so reasonably well sans Google Services, so while it may **** off hardcore BBRY fans realistically I for one would have no issue seeing a BBRY Android devices with BB10/QNX full support.
    No decisions in life is every without consequences, the success of failure of any struggling Enterprise is netted out in the decisions it must make and some may never be well received or liked but necessary.
    03-05-15 03:12 AM
    Google does have an image problem in terms of privacy, not security.
    But most smartphone buyers don't give an eff, so yeah...

In emerging markets it's simply a pricing question. Android phones are cheap, so they sell.

But yes, it indeed is hilarious when BlackBerry thinks that they have any sort of leverage.
    One might even call that thought "cute".

Personnaly I wouldn't want to buy an Android BlackBerry though. As my personal device, I probably don't want an Android ever again, no matter who produces the phone.
    No, I don't like Android either, which is why I said above that it wasn't about me.

For BB though, I still believe a secure Android might be an escape route from BB10 for all the reasons mentioned above by others.

Is success guaranteed, or even likely? No, but the alternative of continuing with BB10 isn't working out too well so far.
    03-05-15 03:15 AM
461 ... 23456 ...