07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 1234 ...
tools
    Depends on how well it's done. If it can meet their spec, they don't have much choice.
    Lol come on, Google makes the rule and interprets the rules. BB would have to give up alot to get Google's blessing in this setup. Asus offered a dual boot Windows/Android solution in the Transformer both MS and Google put their foot down on it. BB would be free to run AOSP in VM to get full app compability and have users added Gplay but it would never get the official stamp of approval.
    03-04-15 01:50 PM
    When you think about....

BlackBerry could keep the core of the device BlackBerry and simply just run a VERY improved Android version as well. The Android Runtime is and always has been half baked but QNX has made progress in this area with the Hypervisor, granted for their own uses and verticals, but there's no reason they couldn't transfer it to BlackBerry as well.

This scenario has been talked about so much in the past and many folks have stated the reasons as to why it would never work but that was before QNX announced their new solution. As soon as the Hypervisor was announced, this is what instantly came to people's minds and now with everything else that has been happening, it's more plausible than ever. It doesn't mean giving up BlackBerry 10 because BlackBerry 10 could still be the core but as noted, a vastly improved runtime for lack of better word could work.

The flip side of that? Instead of running Android in this container, BlackBerry could essentially run BlackBerry 10 in this container. Therefore, keeping everything about BlackBerry 10 nice and secure but the core could take advantage of everything Android, they could even make it still look like BlackBerry 10 because of the Android flexibility in the 'skinning' area.

Take your pick..... either or could potentially work.
    this would be very cool and run very much like vmware does for servers and workstations i would be interested to see if BB does that kind of thing to make its own os small core secure and ready but making the rest of it android so consumers want the device as well.
    03-04-15 01:51 PM
    You're ignoring containerized solutions entirely. Something BlackBerry and their security relies on and have been aggressively been improving.
    And that is why Google will welcome BlackBerry into their fold with open arms. Android is not secure enough to get into enterprise by its self. It comes down to you scratch my back and I'll scratch your s. BlackBerry will get Google play.

Posted via CB10
    gebco and The Big Picture like this.
    03-04-15 01:54 PM
    BlackDroid or GoogleBerry?
    ponpiri likes this.
    03-04-15 01:54 PM
    So all that investments in BB10 and now they will throw it all away? Competing in Android space is extremely hard and the profits aren't that great. You need something that is different and might appeal a smaller customer base.
    Hmm... BB have certainly sunk a great deal of time and money into BB10, but I'd hardly call it an investment. I like my investments to make money.

I agree that competing in the Android space is tough and you need some USP to grab attention, but sticking with BB10 in the hope that it'll suddenly start to appeal to customers is a busted flush. Being bought by fewer than 1% should tell you all you need to know about the wisdom of sticking with BB10.

Might be interesting to see how a BB10-skinned Android handset with significant security enhancements (a USP if there ever was) would do. Frankly, it can't do much worse than BB10 in the market.
    Witmen and mikeo007 like this.
    03-04-15 01:57 PM
    And that is why Google will welcome BlackBerry into their fold with open arms. Android is not secure enough to get into enterprise by its self. It comes down to you scratch my back and I'll scratch your s. BlackBerry will get Google play.
    If they follow the OHA regulations like the other members. BlackBerry will not get a pass for providing patents or whatever.
    03-04-15 01:58 PM
    I would be shocked if BlackBerry isn't running fully functional prototypes with this configuration.
    Even before BB10 was released they were looking at an Android fork as a possible solution, so if they can run a full Android OS and a parallel BB10 OS why wouldn't they.
    They already have an Android variant in bb10 so this would make it run even better.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 01:58 PM
    Lol come on, Google makes the rule and interprets the rules. BB would have to give up alot to get Google's blessing in this setup. Asus offered a dual boot Windows/Android solution in the Transformer both MS and Google put their foot down on it. BB would be free to run AOSP in VM to get full app compability and have users added Gplay but it would never get the official stamp of approval.
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve. If BlackBerry can help there then nothing is impossible. As you said, Google makes their own rules and can change when they want. Not so sure ASUS or MS had anything beneficial to offer Google at the time they squashed their products.
    gebco likes this.
    03-04-15 02:01 PM
    *facePalm* *rofl* *lol*
    03-04-15 02:10 PM
    This seems like a low risk high reward solution and will make a buck which seems to line up with Chen's thinking.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-04-15 02:14 PM
    From a purely business standpoint... this does not make a lot of sense... how many companies in the Android market actually turn a profit... Sammy and maybe HTC... the rest .. not so much... so why leap into an unproductive pond when you ship is not even righted yet.... Chen is looking at generating profit which I do not see happening by switching....
    mk2234 likes this.
    03-04-15 02:18 PM
    This seems like a low risk high reward solution and will make a buck which seems to line up with Chen's thinking.
    If BB do this, they'd be tacitly admitting that BB10 was done.

I reckon it boils down to a loss of face (over dumping BB10) vs potential rewards (from a "secure" Android niche).

As I said above, I don't reckon BB have much more to lose and Android is worth a punt.
    03-04-15 02:21 PM
    John Chen.. say it isnt so..
    03-04-15 02:23 PM
    I agree that competing in the Android space is tough and you need some USP to grab attention, but sticking with BB10 in the hope that it'll suddenly start to appeal to customers is a busted flush. Being bought by fewer than 1% should tell you all you need to know about the wisdom of sticking with BB10.

Might be interesting to see how a BB10-skinned Android handset with significant security enhancements (a USP if there ever was) would do. Frankly, it can't do much worse than BB10 in the market.
    If you want that just get an Android phone, it's just that simple. BB10 is more than just a skin. It has full multitasking, something unusual in mobile phones. QNX is highly modular which is one of the reasons Blackberry manage to add functionality quickly to BB10 phones. There are tons of more advantages with BB10 and if Blackberry start with Android they will end up like all other Android phones with their problems as well.

If you want Android with security, get a Blackphone. There are just tons of choices for those who like Android and we don't need Blackberry for that.
    mk2234 and TheAuthority like this.
    03-04-15 02:26 PM
    From a purely business standpoint... this does not make a lot of sense... how many companies in the Android market actually turn a profit... Sammy and maybe HTC... the rest .. not so much... so why leap into an unproductive pond when you ship is not even righted yet.... Chen is looking at generating profit which I do not see happening by switching....
    If it could yield sales of 12 million handhelds per year rather than 6 million, that would seem to make better business sense.
    JeepBB and southlander like this.
    03-04-15 02:29 PM
    If you want Android with security, get a Blackphone. There are just tons of choices for those who like Android and we don't need Blackberry for that.
    But business does.
    Hobiano likes this.
    03-04-15 02:31 PM
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve. If BlackBerry can help there then nothing is impossible. As you said, Google makes their own rules and can change when they want. Not so sure ASUS or MS had anything beneficial to offer Google at the time they squashed their products.
    But like Asus, Blackberry has no leverage. It is already offering to integrate BES12 with Android for Work just like the other EMM/MDM companies with their product. If Google valued BB products like Samsung does then yes there could be a back-and-forth. Google doesn't even think much of Knox, despite early stories that Knox features would be part of Android for Work, Google decided to go with its own container solution.
    03-04-15 02:34 PM
    If you want that just get an Android phone, it's just that simple. BB10 is more than just a skin. It has full multitasking, something unusual in mobile phones. QNX is highly modular which is one of the reasons Blackberry manage to add functionality quickly to BB10 phones. There are tons of more advantages with BB10 and if Blackberry start with Android they will end up like all other Android phones with their problems as well.

What I want isn't the issue.

What BlackBerry needs to entice the 99% of consumers who don't buy their phones, might be a BB10-skinned "secure" Android phone.

And, at the risk of re-starting the "true multitasking" and "micro-kernel" nonsense of a few months ago, my Lumia multitasks very well indeed thanks.
    BKA22 likes this.
    03-04-15 02:35 PM
    And, at the risk of re-starting the "true multitasking" and "micro-kernel" nonsense of a few months ago, my Lumia multitasks very well indeed thanks.
    I have a Lumia too and it does certainly not multitask properly, at least not according to my definition .
    TheAuthority likes this.
    03-04-15 02:44 PM
    BlackBerry is a software company. Why would they use someone else's software just to put a BlackBerry sticker on a phone? Makes no sense to me at all

Posted via CB10
    last_attempt likes this.
    03-04-15 03:55 PM
    BlackBerry is a software company. Why would they use someone else's software just to put a BlackBerry sticker on a phone? Makes no sense to me at all
    Why manufacture devices to sell to 1 out of 100 potential customers?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-04-15 03:58 PM
    Google is going to start running QNX microkernel. I guarantee it. Samsung is the leader in connected consumer devices but google as a whole has way larger potential (cars, robots, cloud servers, data and more data). QNX is already working with Android in car. QNX is the middle layer. Expect this to move to all android devices as a middle layer and where you get the benefit is the continued partnership of adding hub, gestures, productivity baked into the OS. It will happen and has already started happening. QNX microkernel will be the new industry standard in the IOT connected devices. Too many key hardware companies are already using it.
    quikchip likes this.
    03-04-15 04:00 PM
    Well if they actually did switch to android, I'd go in another direction myself. The android plethora of options has been available to me for a long time and I haven't bit yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:00 PM
    Well if they actually did switch to android, I'd go in another direction myself. The android plethora of options has been available to me for a long time and I haven't bit yet.

Posted via CB10
    I use both. I think this is interesting. I'd like to see it.
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-04-15 04:06 PM
    Switching to Android (unless they go the same route as Amazon) will mean the end of BlackBerry 10 if they join the Open Handset Alliance.

I personally think an Android BlackBerry would be a mistake. If I want an Android smartphone I will get whatever flagship Sony Xperia has when I need a new phone. If Sony gets out of mobile then (and for whatever reason BlackBerry is not an option) I'm going with an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:14 PM
461 1234 ...