07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    And he clearly said, when he was asked, if there's money to be made via Licensing BB10, I'll do it when the time is right.

Interested Parties, Lenovo and Samsung. And that other one that starts with an X.
    It has not been stated anywhere that they are. And if John Chen could have licensed out BB10 for $$$ he would have done so by now. No manufacturers are interested in an OS with little momentum. Unless they would make it available for free, then some lesser known Chinese manufacturers may pick it up (similar to WP 8.1).

BlackBerry would also need to remove the Android runtime to make it more attractive to OHA members. That would be a major stumbling block.
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-18-15 03:06 PM
    The OS is not hard to use. It's actually easier to navigate than Android and iOS. What he meant was people that are stuck on BBOS, and getting then to switch to BB10 was a huge step.

And he clearly said, when he was asked, if there's money to be made via Licensing BB10, I'll do it when the time is right.

Interested Parties, Lenovo and Samsung. And that other one that starts with an X.

Posted via CB10
    No OHA partners can make phones for BB as long BB10 has the Android RT.
    03-18-15 06:32 PM
    If BlackBerry goes completely android it's bye bye crackberry. Those who choose to support BlackBerry will have to combine with android central.

That would be a sad day indeed.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 04:43 PM
    If BlackBerry goes completely android it's bye bye crackberry. Those who choose to support BlackBerry will have to combine with android central.

That would be a sad day indeed.
    Yes, for fans of BB10 phones, that would be a sad day. But I reckon that day is fast coming. BB10 is largely kept afloat already by Android apps, so moving to Android proper isn't such a big step to imagine.

As some of us have said before, Chen may save BB (the company) with his enterprise/software/services strategy... but the company that remains after he's "saved" BB is (IMO) unlikely to be of much interest to ordinary consumers ... or general CB forumites.

Few CB'ers are going to hang around to discuss the finer points of BES12.
    techvisor and pl212 like this.
    03-21-15 05:03 PM
    If I were going to buy an Android device, why would I buy BlackBerry. For their super high end hardware? For their great QA with software? Think I'd go with people doing it a little longer.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 06:52 PM
    BlackBerry is leveraging some BB10 Native features for the Enterprise, Business and Government. These features won't just be available for the average consumer. They aren't giving them away for free.
    The whole point is to make money on them.
    Any of chance you'd like reassess this statement?

Penned via Tapatalk
    03-21-15 06:58 PM
    Think more more BB is will go down badly!!! Love Blackberry and am owner of Passport and Classic device but this company can't win here in USA! Terrible but true!!! Can somebody tell me is not going to happen and why!!!/?????

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-26-15 05:16 PM
    I could see them doing a consumer-oriented touchscreen phone running Android, but continuing to make physical QWERTY devices running BB10 for enterprise and whoever else wants to buy them off of Shop BlackBerry.

I'd keep buying the full QWERTY model, since I have no interest in Android, and the lack of big apps means absolutely nothing to me.
    03-26-15 06:08 PM
    I'm getting an in 6s plus when it drops. I will come back in full BlackBerry assault in about 2 years when BlackBerry starts making all touch beast again. I'll hold on to my 2 Z30's for now. I know in 2 years BlackBerry will have full android and BlackBerry 10 ( or some new name they might give it) on one phone. It'll look different (to blend BlackBerry 10 and android 5.0's UI) but still be BlackBerry, thanks to the Hypervisor. The partnership you see with Google will most likely garnish BlackBerry with Google services, some way or another. It's coming.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-26-15 06:54 PM
    I would be okay with ANY high end android phone with a keyboard. Keyboard keeps me on BlackBerry... hub and keyboard. Hub, keyboard and blinking red light keep me here. Okay maybe it's hub, keyboard, blinking red light and phone construction and quality. It's probably hub, keyboard, blinking red light, phone construction quality and of course bbm baked in....... oh I could go on forever.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 11:15 AM
    I'm getting an in 6s plus when it drops. I will come back in full BlackBerry assault in about 2 years when BlackBerry starts making all touch beast again. I'll hold on to my 2 Z30's for now. I know in 2 years BlackBerry will have full android and BlackBerry 10 ( or some new name they might give it) on one phone. It'll look different (to blend BlackBerry 10 and android 5.0's UI) but still be BlackBerry, thanks to the Hypervisor. The partnership you see with Google will most likely garnish BlackBerry with Google services, some way or another. It's coming.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    What "partnership with google" are you referring to?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-28-15 12:17 AM
    The partnership you see with Google will most likely garnish BlackBerry with Google services, some way or another. It's coming.
    Google will NOT make a special exception for BlackBerry to obtain Google services without joining the Open Handset Alliance. It would rattle the current OHA members and wouldn't make for good business.

As long as BlackBerry refuses to strip Android runtime from future BB10 updates, Google apps is the best we can hope for.
    JeepBB, mornhavon and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-29-15 09:43 AM
    Google will NOT make a special exception for BlackBerry to obtain Google services without joining the Open Handset Alliance. It would rattle the current OHA members and wouldn't make for good business.

As long as BlackBerry refuses to strip Android runtime from future BB10 updates, Google apps is the best we can hope for.
    With BlackBerry's hyperviser they could run a OHA Android OS with a BB10 runtime this would not violate the OHA and give BlackBerry devices the best of both worlds, tight security and a full app ecosystem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/18/qnx_hypervisor/

Loving my Passport!
    03-30-15 03:33 AM
    Hope it's false, there are too many Android devices, how could BlackBerry compete and what makes BlackBerry special if it's using Android?

Posted by my awesome Lumia 530
    03-30-15 03:41 AM
    With BlackBerry's hyperviser they could run a OHA Android OS with a BB10 runtime this would not violate the OHA and give BlackBerry devices the best of both worlds, tight security and a full app ecosystem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/18/qnx_hypervisor/
    If that's the case, it would have happened already with BlackBerry's device sales declining every quarter.
    03-30-15 04:52 AM
    Hope it's false, there are too many Android devices, how could BlackBerry compete and what makes BlackBerry special if it's using Android?

Posted by my awesome Lumia 530
    What makes Blackberry "special" currently, BB10, turned out to be poison for sales. Both consumers and enterprise prefer devices with a full ecosystem. By going Android, Blackberry is going back to neutral ground. It's a tough market; but, being neutral is much better than being "special" in this way.
    mornhavon likes this.
    03-30-15 05:47 AM
    Hmm... BB have certainly sunk a great deal of time and money into BB10, but I'd hardly call it an investment. I like my investments to make money.

I agree that competing in the Android space is tough and you need some USP to grab attention, but sticking with BB10 in the hope that it'll suddenly start to appeal to customers is a busted flush. Being bought by fewer than 1% should tell you all you need to know about the wisdom of sticking with BB10.

Might be interesting to see how a BB10-skinned Android handset with significant security enhancements (a USP if there ever was) would do. Frankly, it can't do much worse than BB10 in the market.
    I'd imagine it'd be a major success if BlackBerry can deliver a secure, QNX-flavored android distro that behaves like BB10

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 12:00 AM
    If that's the case, it would have happened already with BlackBerry's device sales declining every quarter.
    Hyperviser is new tech that QNX has just developed so they are most likely working on it, don't forget Chen did mention that the new slider is going to contain "something" not seen before during one of his interviews at the mobile world congress.

Loving my Passport!
    03-31-15 12:04 AM

Native BB10 Google apps would be a good start though. And IMO would provide a much needed boost as well as forward momentum for the platform. It's too bad there was not something BB had that Google wanted. Then they could negotiate a deal to get GAPPS on BB10.
    03-31-15 09:48 AM
    Hyperviser is new tech that QNX has just developed so they are most likely working on it, don't forget Chen did mention that the new slider is going to contain "something" not seen before during one of his interviews at the mobile world congress.

Loving my Passport!
    Chen talks too much. He also said BB would have something to unveil at MWC that would eliminate the need for two phones. Nothing mind bending came out of it. Chen needs to not say anything. Knowing how to manage expectations is a skill all people especially in his position should have.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-31-15 09:50 AM
    Chen talks too much. He also said BB would have something to unveil at MWC that would eliminate the need for two phones. Nothing mind bending came out of it. Chen needs to not say anything. Knowing how to manage expectations is a skill all people especially in his position should have.
    No he didn't. He said that in June BlackBerry world be releasing the Gladiator software that would eliminate the need to carry two phones.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-31-15 01:38 PM
    No he didn't. He said that in June BlackBerry world be releasing the Gladiator software that would eliminate the need to carry two phones.

Posted via CB10
    OK. June it is.
    03-31-15 07:28 PM
    He said that in June BlackBerry world be releasing the Gladiator software that would eliminate the need to carry two phones.
    What is that exactly?
    03-31-15 07:58 PM
    What is that exactly?
    It's this: http://www.movirtu.com/#!worklife-vi...-platform/cuml

BB acquired them last year. Makes one phone look like two, each having a separate number. Clever.

IIRC, requires carrier/network support to work in addition to the phone side App.
    04-02-15 03:36 AM
    Switching to the number 1 selling OS wouldn't be their worst idea.
    04-02-15 07:27 AM
461 ... 1314151617 ...