07-07-15 06:23 AM
461 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    MAJOR difference between Huawei and BBRY is that Huawei is a hardware company while BBRY is primarily in the software game. MSFT and GOOG likely felt that both experiences would be compromised in their dual boot phone. Not to mention, doesn't Huawei specialize in ultra low-end phones? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

There is way too much smoke out there for this not to be in the works. This is exactly how the rumor for the ability to directly load apk's to BB10 started. That said, would love to hear what CATLIN has to say about this. Bet he/she knows something ha.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-06-15 08:36 AM
    Wth android on 10.3.1 devices, the so called security advantage of BlackBerry is gone the first time an android app is installed & given permissions...
    Plummerdc88 and Maxxxpower like this.
    03-06-15 08:46 AM
    Why in the world would anyone want a phone with two OSes? That'd mean you'd have to learn how to operate two different OSes, and constantly change from one to another during work and after work.
    Not if the Android is configured to run similar to the BB10 experience. There's nothing in the Android OS that cannot be customized. Hence why the OS is so appealing to mobile manufacturers. Heck, BB10 is halfway or more there when they implemented the Android Runtime.
    03-06-15 08:51 AM
    Not if the Android is configured to run similar to the BB10 experience. There's nothing in the Android OS that cannot be customized. Hence why the OS is so appealing to mobile manufacturers. Heck, BB10 is halfway or more there when they implemented the Android Runtime.
    HI Walt I remember reading article that Google will change to ART from Dalvik will that effect android runtime on BlackBerry?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-06-15 08:55 AM
    They put in android to avoid the same fate of wp... inadequate app catalog offerings... it,'s no real solution... I am a first time BlackBerry user & would NEVER have purchased the passport without the android feature...
    03-06-15 08:57 AM
    And who knows what Samsung has been working on in their attempts to secure Android for KNOX... They may have a couple of versions of a more robust Android laying around.
    03-06-15 09:00 AM
    There must be. I have, in addition to my Passport, a OnePlus One running CyanogenMod, and it comes pre-loaded with Google Play, Google Apps, etc.

There's no little green robot at bootup either; no mention of Android at all, in fact.
    Weren't there some W8 Tablets/Hybrids who also had an Android VM?

I think Samsung had something like that.
    The memories are too hazy to fully remember...

And who knows what Samsung has been working on in their attempts to secure Android for KNOX... They may have a couple of versions of a more robust Android laying around.
    That's why we dual boot and keep BB10.
    (well probably not)
    03-06-15 09:00 AM
    Samsung & ape are likely awake nights worrying about the BlackBerry threat...
    03-06-15 09:07 AM
    HI Walt I remember reading article that Google will change to ART from Dalvik will that effect android runtime on BlackBerry?
    Google started this back in the summer of last year. ART (Android Runtime) is in Android KitKat 4.4. However, most Android apps are (or should be) backwards compatible with Dalvik which KitKat can operate for as well.

Last I saw, the BBRY runtime is at KitKat 4.4, so the latest 10.3.1 should be on ART. However, BBRY's KitKat runtime may be optimized for Dalvik.
    Uzi likes this.
    03-06-15 09:14 AM
    Actually, I don't want Scalemaster to speak next. I'd rather hear from you if there's a single solitary thing you like about BlackBerry. Sentiment GX4 is also nominated since he's another candidate for the "Everything is awful" presidency.
    I was talking about Chen Not Scalemaster. Please read more carefully.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-06-15 09:21 AM
    I would kill the BB10 Android runtime, would split the phone into 2 partitions, and would run one OS per partition, with Balance being the barrier and "switch".
    Oui, we're talking about the same thing
    What you describe (as I meant to) is a "pure" Android OS (Personal) running in concurrence of BB10 (Work) on the same device.
    Yet, as pointed before, having two different user experience is very likely a barrier for most, and it's not only about skinning but about gestures, capabilities, interactions ... and it'll take time.
    That's what I meant

PS.: and +1000 for the perfs ... and GL to manage memory, processor cores and so on.
    03-06-15 09:29 AM
    Actually, does flash work on BB10, if you do the Android Firefox method?
    FlashFox, either from snap or 1mobile works for me on passport 10.3.1.xxx
    03-06-15 09:35 AM
    I don't think that I am negative... I am just not positive.
    I agree. I wasn't speaking of you per say, as opposed to a couple of others. It feels like the only reason they come here is to crap on everything. I heard a quote once from a popular band that wasn't popular with critics. The quote was something like "essentially what they were doing was telling millions of people they were full of SH*% for liking our album".

It's sorta the same thing. If everything about BlackBerry is terrible, if there is no hope for anything, nothing is ever good, nothing is ever right for some people, I'm honestly surprised how much time they spend here repeating it, and trying to convince others of it.

Like it's a fetish or something to "educate imbeciles" of the error for their ways.

It really doesn't look good for the handset division...
    You might be surprised to find that I agree. I'm probably a bit more positive in that I think there's a *chance* they can right size the business enough to keep making devices in the future, but the world will be different than what we knew before. Fewer devices, fewer carriers, much more of a niche focus.

As I said in the other thread, it's why I went iPhone partly. Not because I didn't like BlackBerry 10 or my Z10 well enough but because there wasn't a successor device for me as a consumer. The world has changed for them since the Z10 launched and they are making devices for a different audience than me.

But Birdman doesn't seem THAT bad
    Agree. But it was still nice to hear that he actually liked something ... anything.
    LuvULongTime and mk2234 like this.
    03-06-15 10:27 AM
    I was talking about Chen Not Scalemaster. Please read more carefully.
    I would make the same comment to you.

Read my post again:

TRBB - is there a single solitary thing you like about BlackBerry in any way shape or form? All I see from you are complaints about how "BlackBerry hates America" and how the entire universe is atrocious in every way.

Yet for a guy so miserable, you're on a CrackBerry site all the time.
    mk2234 likes this.
    03-06-15 10:29 AM
    There must be. I have, in addition to my Passport, a OnePlus One running CyanogenMod, and it comes pre-loaded with Google Play, Google Apps, etc.
    The OnePlus One is actually running a Google-certified Android variant, which is why it has Google Services. No green robot is required, but very soon after the OnePlus was certified, Google released updated requirements for future Android phones that requires a "Powered by Android" start-up screen, and all newer Android phones have it:

BlackBerry might be switching to Android [Rumor]-s5_htc_one_powered_by_android.jpg

The OHA also clarified the rules (which were in place since the beginning, but were "interpreted" by a few vendors to mean something else) that certified devices were required to boot into Android and run Android as the base OS, though runtimes could run inside of Android. This is why you don't see any more dual-boot devices being announced, and why most of the ones that were announced weren't actually produced.
    03-06-15 10:30 AM
    No way! I"ll be out in a second, going Microsoft. Freaking droids!

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Passport on TMO Romania
    03-06-15 10:53 AM
    Actually, I don't want Scalemaster to speak next. I'd rather hear from you if there's a single solitary thing you like about BlackBerry. Sentiment GX4 is also nominated since he's another candidate for the "Everything is awful" presidency.
    Ach! You have caught me. I am actually a paid Blackberry basher and will be doing an AMA about how I earn $2/hr from a Chinese workshop to pay for my ailing grandmama's chemotherapy.
    03-06-15 11:01 AM
    Ach! You have caught me. I am actually a paid Blackberry basher and will be doing an AMA about how I earn $2/hr from a Chinese workshop to pay for my ailing grandmama's chemotherapy.
    LOL

Don't duck the question. :-) Is there a single solitary thing you actually like in the BlackBerry world right now?
    03-06-15 11:03 AM

There's no little green robot at bootup either; no mention of Android at all, in fact.
    I've heard about this before and don't understand how it is possible. Maybe one of our resident Androidians can use their energy for something useful and enlighten us on this instead of spending all their time telling us why BlackBerry will go bankrupt.

Edit: I see a post above explaining this. One useful post...
    mk2234 likes this.
    03-06-15 11:11 AM
    Samsung & ape are likely awake nights worrying about the BlackBerry threat...
    Sarcasm at its finest.
    03-06-15 11:13 AM
    The OnePlus One is actually running a Google-certified Android variant, which is why it has Google Services. No green robot is required, but very soon after the OnePlus was certified, Google released updated requirements for future Android phones that requires a "Powered by Android" start-up screen, and all newer Android phones have it:
    D'Oh! My bad! The "Powered by Android" is there after all; I just missed it before it was replaced by the hexagonal squircle thingy that CM uses on its boot screen.
    03-06-15 11:20 AM
    I agree. I wasn't speaking of you per say, as opposed to a couple of others. It feels like the only reason they come here is to crap on everything. I heard a quote once from a popular band that wasn't popular with critics. The quote was something like "essentially what they were doing was telling millions of people they were full of SH*% for liking our album".

It's sorta the same thing. If everything about BlackBerry is terrible, if there is no hope for anything, nothing is ever good, nothing is ever right for some people, I'm honestly surprised how much time they spend here repeating it, and trying to convince others of it.

Like it's a fetish or something to "educate imbeciles" of the error for their ways.

You might be surprised to find that I agree. I'm probably a bit more positive in that I think there's a *chance* they can right size the business enough to keep making devices in the future, but the world will be different than what we knew before. Fewer devices, fewer carriers, much more of a niche focus.

As I said in the other thread, it's why I went iPhone partly. Not because I didn't like BlackBerry 10 or my Z10 well enough but because there wasn't a successor device for me as a consumer. The world has changed for them since the Z10 launched and they are making devices for a different audience than me.

Agree. But it was still nice to hear that he actually liked something ... anything.
    Well said. Thank you.

In terms of HW sales, I read somewhere that in BB's peak when they were # 1, they shipped 11 million devices. Obviously the smartphone world has changed and the market is much bigger. But the question is, if HW sales of 11 million were considered good back in 2007, why not today, putting aside how that translates into overall market share? And is this where Chen came up with his magical 10 million devices #?
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-06-15 11:22 AM
    The OHA also clarified the rules (which were in place since the beginning, but were "interpreted" by a few vendors to mean something else) that certified devices were required to boot into Android and run Android as the base OS, though runtimes could run inside of Android. This is why you don't see any more dual-boot devices being announced, and why most of the ones that were announced weren't actually produced.
    Out of button, so thanks for that.
    Seems to kill the Balance dual OS option ...
    03-06-15 11:30 AM
    Google started this back in the summer of last year. ART (Android Runtime) is in Android KitKat 4.4. However, most Android apps are (or should be) backwards compatible with Dalvik which KitKat can operate for as well.

Last I saw, the BBRY runtime is at KitKat 4.4, so the latest 10.3.1 should be on ART. However, BBRY's KitKat runtime may be optimized for Dalvik.
    its not kitkat only jelly bean 4.3 and they do no have ART runtime as of now.
    sentimentGX4, Uzi and walt63 like this.
    03-06-15 05:07 PM
    When you think about....

BlackBerry could keep the core of the device BlackBerry and simply just run a VERY improved Android version as well. The Android Runtime is and always has been half baked but QNX has made progress in this area with the Hypervisor, granted for their own uses and verticals, but there's no reason they couldn't transfer it to BlackBerry as well.

This scenario has been talked about so much in the past and many folks have stated the reasons as to why it would never work but that was before QNX announced their new solution. As soon as the Hypervisor was announced, this is what instantly came to people's minds and now with everything else that has been happening, it's more plausible than ever. It doesn't mean giving up BlackBerry 10 because BlackBerry 10 could still be the core but as noted, a vastly improved runtime for lack of better word could work.

The flip side of that? Instead of running Android in this container, BlackBerry could essentially run BlackBerry 10 in this container. Therefore, keeping everything about BlackBerry 10 nice and secure but the core could take advantage of everything Android, they could even make it still look like BlackBerry 10 because of the Android flexibility in the 'skinning' area.

Take your pick..... either or could potentially work.
    Hmmm...that sounds interesting. Not a bad option, if doable.

 Living the life, posting via BB Z30 
    03-06-15 05:12 PM
461 ... 910111213 ...