10-09-14 08:36 AM
61 123
tools
    If they hadn't written off the Z10 back last year, it wouldn't be selling for $199 today. Q10 is pretty much the same and it's $100 more after being available for over a year... and by all accounts now being EOL. Launch day I very much doubt there will be a $399 or $349 Classic... BlackBerry has to make money and Enterprise is their only shot to do that now. While a consumer might balk at two year old specs and a $449 price tag (wild guess), Enterprise isn't going to care.

Really think the fans here that expect great specs and low prices are going to be very disappointed in the future. There will be no more over building of devices and huge markdowns that made the PlayBook and Z10 so attractive to some.
    I think the idea that enterprises "won't care" about paying an outrageously high price for a phone which has (now) completely antiquated specs is wishful thinking.

I don't think the notion that enterprises are happy to overspend on mobile devices is realistic.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:03 AM
    I'm now starting to see bigger adoption now in government. Finally also seeing programs to trade up from BBOS to BB10 and getting emails that say sent from BlackBerry 10 devices. I actually had to help out a new boss with his new Z10 on how to navigate around the inbox and some other pointers. BlackBerry needs to now start putting out more and better products as the only two offerings are the Z10 and Q10.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    10-07-14 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry is not on the radar of anyone in the US other than enterprise / government users and the 10k Crackberry fans left. Sad but true.

That said, it is what it is. I love having something different. Love my Z10!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 07:21 AM
    BlackBerry is not on the radar of anyone in the US other than enterprise / government users and the 10k Crackberry fans left. Sad but true.

That said, it is what it is. I love having something different. Love my Z10!

Posted via CB10
    So, of the 200,000 Passports that sold in the 2 days after it launched, you're saying that 190,000 of them were bought by corporations and governments?

Either corporations and governments have suddenly become technology early-adopters or your estimation of the number BlackBerry fans is off by at least 1900%.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:44 AM
    I think BlackBerry is starting to go from the company consumers love to hate to the company that's doing something unique. Everyone loves an underdog, right? As a Verizon employee, I get people asking about the "strange new BlackBerry" Passport and if we have one to show. It's different and getting the attention it deserves, and I don't hide my disappointment when I tell people it's set to be an AT&T exclusive. Still, people are bored of Android and iOS. They think Windows Phone is a mess or are too intimidated to buy one, but they remember how much they loved their BlackBerry. I don't see a dramatic rise in market share coming any time soon, but if BlackBerry continues to make devices that break the usual expectations of what a smartphone should be, I can see them regaining 3rd place over WP.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 and theRock1975 like this.
    10-08-14 04:52 PM
    I think BlackBerry is starting to go from the company consumers love to hate to the company that's doing something unique. Everyone loves an underdog, right? As a Verizon employee, I get people asking about the "strange new BlackBerry" Passport and if we have one to show. It's different and getting the attention it deserves, and I don't hide my disappointment when I tell people it's set to be an AT&T exclusive. Still, people are bored of Android and iOS. They think Windows Phone is a mess or are too intimidated to buy one, but they remember how much they loved their BlackBerry. I don't see a dramatic rise in market share coming any time soon, but if BlackBerry continues to make devices that break the usual expectations of what a smartphone should be, I can see them regaining 3rd place over WP.

Posted via CB10
    And luckily, Chen has stated himself that they will now release *at least* one 'unique' device every year.

This, hopefully, means customers will be asking about 'the strange, new BlackBerry' for a long time to come

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 06:21 PM
    Yes. Theoretically, BlackBerry could *increase* the number of handsets sold to consumers *every* quarter and STILL lose marketshare!
    BlackBerry did that big time in the past. For example, between December 2009 and Sept 2010, they went from over 42% of the smartphone market to 37% in the US, but increased their install base by 4 million customers (about the size of what they have left now sadly in this market). Purely a function of the rising tide floating all boats, but then some rising quicker than others.
    10-08-14 06:33 PM
    10,000 CrackBerry fans? There are 4 million BlackBerry's in use in the U.S. as of August. A far cry from the peak in 2010 of almost 22 million, but a bit more than 10,000 I would imagine. ;-)

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Mar...CampaignId=758
    10-08-14 06:42 PM
    So, just for fun, I updated my Comscore Spreadsheet that I keep showing the active number of users of iPhone, Android, Windows and BlackBerry mobile OS devices. Here's a little grid.

Suggests that BlackBerry does seem to be bottoming out as the user base has been fairly flat in 2014 compared to previous years.

Other notes:
    - The US market is still growing, despite some suggesting it has peaked or saturated.

- iPhone and Android continue to grow, driving the overall market growth.

- Windows Phone is pretty flat. A slight uptick the last couple of months but interestingly - the number of Windows Mobile users in Sept 2010 (when BlackBerry was at its peak) and Windows Phone+Windows Mobile users in August 2014 is almost exactly the same.

BlackBerry Market share rising in US??-install_base_us_since_peak_rc76.png
    10-08-14 07:31 PM
    Yes BB has stabilized in the US. The story of Winphone is telling though of the perils of trying to grow consumer marketshare in the US vs IOS/Android via traditional advertising strategies. Because of that I don't see BB making a consumer push any time during 2015.
    10-08-14 07:49 PM
    So, just for fun, I updated my Comscore Spreadsheet that I keep showing the active number of users of iPhone, Android, Windows and BlackBerry mobile OS devices. Here's a little grid.

Suggests that BlackBerry does seem to be bottoming out as the user base has been fairly flat in 2014 compared to previous years.

Other notes:
    - The US market is still growing, despite some suggesting it has peaked or saturated.

- iPhone and Android continue to grow, driving the overall market growth.

- Windows Phone is pretty flat. A slight uptick the last couple of months but interestingly - the number of Windows Mobile users in Sept 2010 (when BlackBerry was at its peak) and Windows Phone+Windows Mobile users in August 2014 is almost exactly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Install_Base_US_Since_Peak_RC76.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	304299
    Nicely done graph.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    10-09-14 08:36 AM
61 123