10-09-14 08:36 AM
61 123
tools
    I just read this article (which looks so pro-blackberry as to make me immediately suspicious, given the general skepticism/caution in the media about BlackBerry accomplishing a successful turnaround).

But the main reason I'm posting this is to double check a stat that the author cites :

From the article:
    "While it is well known that the latest data from Nielsen On Device Meter (Nielsen On Device Meter - BlackBerry Empire) reveals that Blackberry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) is still the top brand in Indonesia, and the recent Kantar World Panel indicated that the brand is on a revival in the U.S. as well. The market share of Blackberry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY)'s OS has gone up from 0.6% in January 2014 to 2% in June 2014, a 233% growth in just six months, when the company has not conducted any aggressive marketing campaigns."

Blackberry Ltd. (BBRY) Is More Than Just Smartphones | Tech Insider

I wanted to vet this with the CB community, since I would think--if this is true--then this is huge news!

However, want to make sure this isn't erroneous data and just "too good to be true". Even though it would only be a rise to 2%, the fact that it might be an upward tick would be a major milestone for the turnaround effort.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and rally5464 like this.
    08-08-14 10:53 PM
    No, I think it's true. That's off of the latest Kantar numbers.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-08-14 11:02 PM
    No, I think it's true. That's off of the latest Kantar numbers.
    Wow! This is great news then! I wonder how the market will react to this on Monday?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 11:03 PM
    These aren't new numbers. They must have been out for a month now, maybe longer?
    08-08-14 11:06 PM
    These aren't new numbers. They must have been out for a month now, maybe longer?
    Very confusing for me then. I would have thought this would have been all over (at least) the BlackBerry sites, but I don't recall reading about bb's marketshare increasing.

I wonder what made this "news" not newsworthy?

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    08-08-14 11:10 PM
    I just read this article (which looks so pro-blackberry as to make me immediately suspicious, given the general skepticism/caution in the media about BlackBerry accomplishing a successful turnaround).

But the main reason I'm posting this is to double check a stat that the author cites :

From the article:
    "While it is well known that the latest data from Nielsen On Device Meter (Nielsen On Device Meter - BlackBerry Empire) reveals that Blackberry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) is still the top brand in Indonesia, and the recent Kantar World Panel indicated that the brand is on a revival in the U.S. as well. The market share of Blackberry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY)'s OS has gone up from 0.6% in January 2014 to 2% in June 2014, a 233% growth in just six months, when the company has not conducted any aggressive marketing campaigns."

Blackberry Ltd. (BBRY) Is More Than Just Smartphones | Tech Insider

I wanted to vet this with the CB community, since I would think--if this is true--then this is huge news!

However, want to make sure this isn't erroneous data and just "too good to be true". Even though it would only be a rise to 2%, the fact that it might be an upward tick would be a major milestone for the turnaround effort.

Posted via CB10
    Thats great!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    08-08-14 11:14 PM
    08-08-14 11:15 PM
    pretty sure it was reported. I know there was a thread or 2 on it. Anyway it will be more interesting to see what the next quarter report shows for BB in sales.
    mornhavon, theRock1975 and CDM76 like this.
    08-08-14 11:16 PM
    pretty sure it was reported. I know there was a thread or 2 on it. Anyway it will be more interesting to see what the next quarter report shows for BB in sales.
    ^this

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-08-14 11:19 PM
    Here is the thread I remember seeing: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=934417
    Thanks for the thread link.

Is the data in that thread for the same period that is cited in this report? The data in the chart from that thread shows BlackBerry at 1% in the US. This report says BlackBerry is at 2% in the US.

The chart from that thread appears to show data as of April 2014 (though I could be wrong), whereas this report talks about marketshare as of July 2014.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 08-08-14 at 11:43 PM.
    08-08-14 11:23 PM
    Thanks for the thread link.

Is the data in that thread for the same period that is cited in this report? The data in the chart from that thread shows BlackBerry at 1% in the US. This report says BlackBerry is at 2% in the US.

The chart from that thread appears to show data as of April 2014 (though I could be wrong), whereas this report talks about marketshare as of July 2014.

Posted via CB10
    Just double checked the chart in the old thread on the US marketshare increase: it is for the "month ended April 2014" and is an increase from 0.7 to 1.0 percent, while the data in the report I linked is for the month ended *July* 2014 and is an increase from 1.0 to 2.0 percent.

However, I read that Kantar has now lumped BlackBerry into the "Other" category, and no longer reports specific numbers on its marketshare. So... how did this reporter get the BlackBerry-Only US marketshare numbers from Kantar for July?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 08-09-14 at 06:12 AM.
    08-09-14 05:59 AM
    2% market share is terrible. Any single digit share isn't something to be proud about. Continued upward trend after numerous quarters would be news.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247/Telus
    08-09-14 09:47 AM
    2% market share is terrible. Any single digit share isn't something to be proud about. Continued upward trend after numerous quarters would be news.

They are where they are. You can't just say it's terrible, it's a fact. From now, moving to 4% market share would be immense news. You can only deal with reality, wailing that it's not good enough doesn't get anyone very far.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 09:50 AM

The marketshare has gone down each quarter for years now. This (if true) would signal a reversal of this downward trend and a bottoming-out of marketshare erosion.

You can't get back to 10 percent marketshare without first having 2 percent marketshare.

However, the more pressing question remains: how did this reporter get the 2% figure when Kantar has stopped reporting on BlackBerry marketshare numbers? (it now just lumps BlackBerry in the "other" category)??

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 01:15 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if things worldwide have improved for blackberry over the last 6-12 months.
    08-09-14 01:32 PM
    All it took was the right price. Should have burned whatever completely ineffective marketing expenditures by instead subsidizing devices from the start.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 01:39 PM
    Let us also remember that market share can be moved up or down based on market size. You can grow 2 ways, first outgrow the competition or second steal from the competition when the market is flat.

Right now is a solid time for BlackBerry to grow. iPhone fans are sitting right to see the iPhone 6 and Samsung fans got their S5 and are waiting for the Note 4.

It makes sense that BlackBerry would be growing right now. As big of a BlackBerry fan as I am, that market share will crumble with the release of the iPhone 6 and Note 4 unless the Passport and Classic really sell big time

Sent from my...go ahead and guess?
    08-09-14 01:49 PM
    The marketshare has gone down each quarter for years now. This (if true) would signal a reversal of this downward trend and a bottoming-out of marketshare erosion.

You can't get back to 10 percent marketshare without first having 2 percent marketshare.

However, the more pressing question remains: how did this reporter get the 2% figure when Kantar has stopped reporting on BlackBerry marketshare numbers? (it now just lumps BlackBerry in the "other" category)??

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't pull out the mission accomplished. You need multiple quarters of growth to see if this is a trend or blip.

08-09-14 03:02 PM
    Let us also remember that market share can be moved up or down based on market size. You can grow 2 ways, first outgrow the competition or second steal from the competition when the market is flat.

Right now is a solid time for BlackBerry to grow. iPhone fans are sitting right to see the iPhone 6 and Samsung fans got their S5 and are waiting for the Note 4.

It makes sense that BlackBerry would be growing right now. As big of a BlackBerry fan as I am, that market share will crumble with the release of the iPhone 6 and Note 4 unless the Passport and Classic really sell big time

Yes. Theoretically, BlackBerry could *increase* the number of handsets sold to consumers *every* quarter and STILL lose marketshare!

All it would take is for the market to grow faster than BlackBerry's handset sales growth rate.

E.g.: If BlackBerry sold 10% more phones every quarter, but the market itself grew 15% every quarter, than BlackBerry's marketshare would continue to drop every quarter even though it's handset sales actually improved every quarter!

Kind of paradoxical but true.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    08-09-14 03:12 PM
    Yes. Theoretically, BlackBerry could *increase* the number of handsets sold to consumers *every* quarter and STILL lose marketshare!

All it would take is for the market to grow faster than BlackBerry's handset sales growth rate.

E.g.: If BlackBerry sold 10% more phones every quarter, but the market itself grew 15% every quarter, than BlackBerry's marketshare would continue to drop every quarter even though it's handset sales actually improved every quarter!

Kind of paradoxical but true.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly why SOM should only be used as one level of measurement. Ultimately, units/$$$ matter most, but the one uncontrollable is the overall market growth or decline. As you said, it should be easier to sell more phones when the device market is growing, but if the competition is outgrowing you then your SOM will drop. All that said, any positive news about BlackBerry is good news. We just need to be careful how excited we get!

08-09-14 03:25 PM
    I wonder what made this "news" not newsworthy?

Posted via CB10
    Answer: stock manipulation

This form of stock manipulation is simply the action of withholding good news from the public until ready to announce. It's perfectly legal.

News like this could easily drive the stock up. People tend to get in at the early stages of success and would have hoped all over over the stock if the news went wide with media.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 03:42 PM
    I know some government organizations just started BB10 rollouts in the past few months, so they should have seen a bump in BB10 sales of Z10 and Q10 devices. Sadly I haven't seen any even mention the Z30, it's like the device doesn't even exist in the fed space, but that is likely because on Verizon carried it.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    08-09-14 05:05 PM
    Eventually we will live to see the day though where the new Apple (insert product) doesn't sell as well as expected, probably by a wide margin, because of market saturation in the US. I don't pretend to know if we're near that yet or not but it happens with all products, it's literally in the nature of market capitalism. It's happening right now with video game consoles.
    How many people bought 5S and are contract now? One of these Iphones will release at some point and bring Apple back down to earth I think. There might be room again for the BB's and the Windows Phones of the world to get some niche market share back.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 01:01 AM
    Numbers doesn't lie. It rises, it is small, it doesn't matter, sure. But it's better than "it falls, it is small and it doesn't matter". So I would say this is a good news... not out of the woods yet and not indicating the future will be brighter, BUT it's a good news.

Let's hope that one year from now, when Z50 comes, all the news agencies refer this summer to be the turning point for BlackBerry.

Good job BlackBerry!
    08-10-14 02:34 PM
    Numbers doesn't lie. It rises, it is small, it doesn't matter, sure. But it's better than "it falls, it is small and it doesn't matter". So I would say this is a good news... not out of the woods yet and not indicating the future will be brighter, BUT it's a good news.

Let's hope that one year from now, when Z50 comes, all the news agencies refer this summer to be the turning point for BlackBerry.

Good job BlackBerry!
    First, not to be picky by its "Numbers Do Not Lie" or "Numbers Don't Lie". And yes, they lie all of the time. Let's take a very easy statistical example.

Store A sells 100 phones and 2 are BlackBerry devices. BlackBerry grabbed 2% of sales in that store.

Store B sells 1 phone and it is a BlackBerry device. BlackBerry grabbed 100% of sales in that store.

If you are purely looking at market share then Store B appears to be doing better 100%: versus 2%.

But if you're looking at which store made the most money, Store A sold twice as many BlackBerry devices.

So I guess it's not that numbers do or do not lie, it's that they can be skewed to tell a certain story depending on how they are presented with the use of many potential variables.

White Q10 on VZW from Philly
    08-10-14 03:44 PM
61 123