07-09-12 01:03 PM
44 12
tools
    Limits on attachment size. Want me to go on?
    what are these enormous attachments that everyone says they need to get on their phone via email but can't get on a BlackBerry?

if your need is to constantly have these massive attachments at the fastest possible moment then perhaps your communication needs aren't addressed from "go". if it affected me, the notion that someone is addressing such a critical, important and apparently vital item on a smartphone is alarming. if i were still selling phones and someone described such a need i'd suggest a tablet and shared data connection, you know, like a Bridge.
    07-05-12 07:46 AM
    Limits on attachment size. Want me to go on?
    Ah yes.. the limit that saved me around $300 in roaming costs for garbage attachments while I was away last week. I call that a benefit rather than a failing.
    07-05-12 08:40 AM
    Ah yes.. the limit that saved me around $300 in roaming costs for garbage attachments while I was away last week. I call that a benefit rather than a failing.
    You don't want the option to open them, fine. This sentiment, and I base this on plummeting market share, is not widely held.
    07-05-12 09:09 AM
    what are these enormous attachments that everyone says they need to get on their phone via email but can't get on a BlackBerry?

if your need is to constantly have these massive attachments at the fastest possible moment then perhaps your communication needs aren't addressed from "go". if it affected me, the notion that someone is addressing such a critical, important and apparently vital item on a smartphone is alarming. if i were still selling phones and someone described such a need i'd suggest a tablet and shared data connection, you know, like a Bridge.

Do users of other platforms make these kinds of excuses?

Try this experiment: Find an old iPhone, a 2G model. Set it up for RDM. You will have several very good app options. Then take any Blackberry on any carrier and set it up on the one RDM option for BBOS. Compare the lag times between command and execution.

These are the obvious things I have run into that I blame on BIS throttling data. I could be wrong. It could be the hardware and OS are 5 years behind the competition.
    07-05-12 09:24 AM
    I have no problem in it taking a very small and almost imperseptable longer time to respond. I do not notice it.
    I do like the fact that it is a little more secure than just roaming around the open Internet.

Its like anything else.

If you like it "super fast", remove the safegaurds and have a good time.
    Gamers, media hounds, major app users, social extremes.

If you like it "fast enough" and safer then BB is the way to go right now.
    Emailers, texters, chatters, communicators, Facebookers, BBM'rs (excluding U.S.A.),

So charge me the $5 a month and be done with it.

Tim
    07-05-12 10:57 AM
    It's not our fee. RIM gets a kickback from the carriers for slowing and squishing our data and email. Its fair. RIM maintains the NOC and the carriers' networks do less work. Fair unless you're a customer. Then you pay the same for your data but get less of it, slower and clunkier. BIS is killing RIM as much as the OS and hardware.
    Do you really think we aren't paying for it??? Its certainly our fee. I am not sure I would call it a kick back at all.
    07-05-12 11:15 AM
    I guess even though RIM thinks they are "aligned with their carrier partners" and have "strong relationships with our carrier partners" the carrier partners themselves don't feel the same way :/

They're essentially cutting RIM at their knees.

They can't do anything right these days, can they.
    07-05-12 11:25 AM
    It's simple really. RIM went from bringing in revenue to taking up shelf space. Now the carriers are telling RIM they can go away if they don't like the new rules. As big a chunk of their operating revenue as those fees are, RIM is truly doomed if this is true.
    07-06-12 08:36 AM
    You don't want the option to open them, fine. This sentiment, and I base this on plummeting market share, is not widely held.
    It is held by people who routinely travel internationally, such as Europeans.

If people rarely travel outside from where they were born, it doesn't matter.
    While one third of Americans now have passports, not everyone uses them for international travel. And the majority of Americans who do travel internationally go to either Canada or Mexico.

Why more Americans don't travel abroad - CNN

In Europe it is a different matter. For a population that can reasonably go from London to Paris for a shopping spree, going outside from the UK means increased data usage no naturally it is a bigger issue.

Coincidentally, this is an area where BB still has quite a foothold. So the opinion there is widely held.

Again, the world does not encompass sea to shining sea. There are countries beyond. One won't fall off the edge of the world if one goes 50 miles beyond the horizon.
    raino likes this.
    07-08-12 06:31 AM

While one third of Americans now have passports, not everyone uses them for international travel. And the majority of Americans who do travel internationally go to either Canada or Mexico.
    for business people that travel to Europe or Asia (as I have been doing lately), it's annoying that my emails get cut off. And the show all feature doesn't seem to load everything at times, not sure what I'm doing wrong. So when a customer responds with pictures or attachments, I need to wait until the end of the day to respond. So a bit annoying. In that case, I don't really care about compression, I want to see my darn emails!
    07-08-12 06:54 AM
    My business travel, which is frequent, requires me to carry a laptop for viewing and editing Visio network diagrams, contracts, and project schedules on Project. Those would be painful if not impossible even on a Note.

My international travel is always for pleasure. Phones are for emergencies, don't do a great deal of talking while abroad. So attachments can wait.

As far as priorities go, viewing attachments while on interantional travel is a low priority for me. Business I need to do on a laptop given the nature of the documets I get. Personal I don't bother.
    07-08-12 07:08 AM

Why more Americans don't travel abroad - CNN

In Europe it is a different matter. For a population that can reasonably go from London to Paris for a shopping spree, going outside from the UK means increased data usage no naturally it is a bigger issue.

Coincidentally, this is an area where BB still has quite a foothold. So the opinion there is widely held.

Again, the world does not encompass sea to shining sea. There are countries beyond. One won't fall off the edge of the world if one goes 50 miles beyond the horizon.

Wouldn't having a setting available, within the OS, for limiting options to download larger attachments be a better compromise than not having the ability at all?

It should be my choice if I want to receive larger attachments. Not RIMs. Why exactly are BIS attachments limited anyway? My understanding is that with BB10, there will be no more size limitations on email attachments. If that is true... What will happen to all the European travelers? Will they switch? Or stay as long as they can on an outdated/antiquated platform?
    07-08-12 07:22 AM
    BB10 will make this issue a thing of the past. I would hope that there are settings, as you say. I would not want a 10 MB attachment downloading while I'm on travel, that much I know. So I'm perfectly functional with my BB7 devices. What you might consider antiquated I consider prudent, from my perspective.

That compromise you speak of is one that I would use when I'm abroad. But the wholesale downloading of all attachments would not make me happy.

iOS has that option, and I love it.

As to why it's there at all, I would hazard a guess that it's a remnant of the business centric core that was there at BB's inception. Like I said, viewing/editing things like Visio documents are not current options in any of the platforms I've used. I don't even recall it on Windows phones.

If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to know.

Really.
    kbz1960 and sallenthornton like this.
    07-08-12 08:00 AM
    As to why it's there at all, I would hazard a guess that it's a remnant of the business centric core that was there at BB's inception. Like I said, viewing/editing things like Visio documents are not current options in any of the platforms I've used. I don't even recall it on Windows phones.

If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to know.

Really.
    Visio requires a Windows PC. There is no Visio for phones or even for OS X/Linux.
    07-08-12 08:54 AM
    Visio requires a Windows PC. There is no Visio for phones or even for OS X/Linux.
    Gotcha. That's what I thought.

So for me, the download of such an attachment would serve no purpose other thn to waste several MBs...my Visio network drawings tend to be rather large.

Additionally, viewing a Gant chart on a mobile and editing Project would be frustrating in the extreme, if even possible. I've never seen Project for viewing/editing on a phone.
    07-08-12 11:59 AM
    Doesn't pertain to this thread, but Visio and Project are two of the best programs ever. The things you can do with those programs are mind boggling.

Back on thread now: I don't see how anyone could doubt the validity of having data compressed. Once AT&T takes my grandfathered data plan away, I will definitely be switching to something more data friendly. Is BB10 going to be compressed also?
    07-08-12 02:14 PM
    Gotcha. That's what I thought.

So for me, the download of such an attachment would serve no purpose other thn to waste several MBs...my Visio network drawings tend to be rather large.

Additionally, viewing a Gant chart on a mobile and editing Project would be frustrating in the extreme, if even possible. I've never seen Project for viewing/editing on a phone.
    You're right. No Project for phones, OS X, or Linux either. That's strictly Windows desktop/server software.

On a related note, Publisher is also for Windows desktop only. A Realtor who is a friend of my family sent an email to a number of recipients with a .pub file attached. I was able to view it, since I have Office Professional, but I replied to her and said she should probably change it to a .docx file, since most people probably would not be able to open it. I knew the majority of the recipients on the list did not have Office Professional or Small Business.
    Last edited by lak611; 07-08-12 at 02:29 PM.
    07-08-12 02:19 PM
    I think that with Windows 8 and Office13 you will see SharePoint and Visio on Mobile devices...

But while they may run on a smartphone, I think a tablet with a larger viewing area would really be required.

Again, Microsoft is going to be primed to take that 3rd spot in the mobile platform war.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-09-12 09:15 AM
    I think that with Windows 8 and Office13 you will see SharePoint and Visio on Mobile devices...

But while they may run on a smartphone, I think a tablet with a larger viewing area would really be required.

Again, Microsoft is going to be primed to take that 3rd spot in the mobile platform war.
    You're right. Even if Visio were available on mobile devices, I cannot see how anyone would be able to do any work with it on 4.5" screens.
    07-09-12 01:03 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD