This is good news.. RIM is doing everything to stay more relevant in the market. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

KOCHI: The manufacturers of BlackBerry, Research in Motion (RIM), will open an innovation zone for BlackBerry technologies with a view to motivating young Indian entrepreneurs.

'Rubus Labs' will be opened at Startup Village here in the presence of senior officials of BlackBerry, including its global vice-president Alec Saunders and India managing director Sunil Dutt.

It is for the first time that RIM is setting up such an innovation zone in the Asia-Pacific region and Kerala has been selected to be part of this momentous collaboration that would ignite the imagination of students, potential entrepreneurs and tech-savvy people.

Sijo Kuruvilla George, CEO of Startup Village, said the village would be the powerhouse of the future telecom technology revolution in the country by incubating over 1,000 startups over the next decade and transform Kerala into 'Silicon Coast'.

"RIM, the global game-changer in the mobile industry, will give pre-launch access to its latest devices and operating systems, apart from technological assistance. Rubus Labs will host regular activities like BlackBerry Hackathons and Bar Camps, besides training sessions for student entrepreneurs. The lab will also be open to school students to expose them to innovative technologies," said George.

As an alliance partner, Startup Village would get stock devices of the BlackBerry family, including handsets and playbooks, from RIM. The partnership will also facilitate Startup Village to work with BlackBerry partner funds to co-invest in the startup firms.

Startup Village was set up jointly by the National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board ( NSTEDB) under the Department of Science and Technology ( DST) of the central government and the Kerala government-run Technopark, in collaboration with MobME Wireless.
    Source: link
    Last edited by sris; 05-30-12 at 06:11 AM.
    05-30-12 06:08 AM
    I sent Alec an email today and sure enough it DID say he was in Asia. Hope all is going well for this new place.
    05-31-12 09:53 PM
    Great.

Way to stay relevant in India Rim.
    05-31-12 10:18 PM
    Great.

Way to stay relevant in India Rim.
    Nah, they just ignore India altogether right? Very small population

Not like RIM is doing anything else in the rest of the world....
    05-31-12 10:48 PM
    I don't think they have much incentive in India. North America is where they'll sink or swim,....but the only news anyone here hears concerning RIM is negative. And that's if you hear anything at all. I'm not saying IGNORE India,....but they're already doing very well there. (By all indications on CB, anyways.)
    06-01-12 12:03 AM
    I don't think they have much incentive in India. North America is where they'll sink or swim,....but the only news anyone here hears concerning RIM is negative. And that's if you hear anything at all. I'm not saying IGNORE India,....but they're already doing very well there. (By all indications on CB, anyways.)
    Yes they are doing quite well here in India. The just launched 9220 and 9320 also seems to be doing good.

Most of them i know who jumped to iOS or Android recently want to come back to BB once the BB10 hits the stores.
    06-01-12 12:44 AM
    Nah, they just ignore India altogether right? Very small population
    U mean India has very small population ??
    06-01-12 02:23 AM
    This is a great news. India could be a great market for RIM........Blackberry phones are very popular in India. I wish RIM gain maximum market share in India.
    06-01-12 02:25 AM
    Great news and sure, it does bring smiles to our faces.
    Keep it up RIM!
    06-01-12 02:46 AM
    Blackberry India is doing great promotion of its device especially its 9220 2g version,But it 3g version costlier around 15K INR in bangalore.There has been popularity (reach)of regarding usuage of blackberry among normal mobiles users once which has been considered as business phone for top class people.

Looking from tech perspective,BB looks like old war horse with very high price,We can get the Dell Venue Pro(wp7) ,HTC Wildfire(Android),Samsung Ace(Android) at the same rate based on their specifications.

It would be great if they slash rates like they did it for PlayBook,

Getting Nice 3g phone around 10 - 12k with 5 MP camera ,would be a great one.Because Other competitors are providing devices at the same rate.
    06-01-12 05:36 AM
    U mean India has very small population ??
    Was sarcasm, that's why I put

The person I was replying to thinks there is not incentive for RIM to waste their time in India. It's a shame that some north Americans can't see that the rest of the world exists....
    anjali_jain likes this.
    06-01-12 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD