11-05-13 09:18 AM
85 1234
tools
    That's cool. I have to practice more restraint now or I'm sure "someone" will pop up.
    Heh. Well, for what it's worth you're not what I would ever consider a BlackBerry fanboy. You've been an outspoken critic of BlackBerry many times on this forum, and made your points clearly, and concisely. Cheers.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-29-13 09:44 PM
    Heh. Well, for what it's worth you're not what I would ever consider a BlackBerry fanboy. You've been an outspoken critic of BlackBerry many times on this forum, and made your points clearly, and concisely. Cheers.
    While I prefer BlackBerries, I use all platforms. But, I have a longstanding list of personal gripes with the companies' decisions - past and present.
    10-29-13 09:53 PM
    While I prefer BlackBerries, I use all platforms. But, I have a longstanding list of personal gripes with the companies' decisions - past and present.
    No argument here. I love the new OS but find myself shaking my head at the company at times. I think most BlackBerry users feel the same way. We all see the potential but constantly find ourselves 'holding the bag' in terms of justifying our choice whenever there's a screw up...

It's a frustrating love/hate relationship to be sure. In the end, it's worth it, imo. The software is great, there's a lot of potential looking forward and having another platform to compete with iOS and Google is never a bad thing.

Competition makes all platforms better, so here's hoping.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-29-13 10:07 PM
    one day CEO will run the company .. one man show

Straight from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation News Network comes word that BlackBerry will be laying off three hundred additional staff this week in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.Is that a giant flushing sound I hear?
    10-29-13 10:18 PM
    I don't intend this as personal criticism or direct this to any individual post or poster. But from my p.o.v., all of my adult life I have read and heard statements of stock market Darwinism directed at companies' workers who have so inevitably been described and denigrated as "bloated" that it has become an all-purpose cover for an endless string of feather-bedding, golden-parachuting and self-dealing for management and for the ultra-wealthy who care most about becoming ultra-ultra-wealthy. During this same time period, these bloated, layabout workers have become vastly more productive, even as their relative share in their productivity gains dwindled. This concentration of summit wealth is the primary source of the ultimate "need" to fire as many workers as possible, as often as possible.

In fairness, I don't see these circumstances as the root cause of Blackberry's decline. But neither do I think that Blackberry floundered because it hired too many people, or because its people didn't work hard enough.

We want a steady stream of state-of-the-art devices and a constant flow of new apps and OS upgrades. All of this on a mass scale from a crack staff of 25 high-achievers I suppose. There was a time when seemingly everyone bought into the idea that less can do more and/or outsource is always the best source. That was lauded "smartest guys in the room" shtick, and those guys had more nerve and gall than brains, which were barely enough to keep them out of jail. I still believe a well paid and vibrant workforce is a sign of health, corporate or otherwise. IMHO. I know a few people still at BB, all of whom seem dedicated and decent to their bones. I am glad they still have their jobs and still have faith, but its no picnic even for the survivors for a company being bled white.
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    10-29-13 10:22 PM
    Are they seriously going to report every time BlackBerry lays someone off? The company i work for is listed on the tsx and has a market cap of almost a billion dollars, when we lay people off it never makes the news, why is this the case with bb?

Posted from my Z10
    I'm just guessing, but mabey it's because this is a BlackBerry fan site? Why would anyone be surprised to see duplicate articles when obviously it's going to happen? Mabey, just mabey, some other people have not seen other threads such as this and wanted to pop in here. People have a choice to read the thread title and move on.
    Anyway, it really is too bad about the layoffs. All this happening while the holiday stress is apon us makes it even worse. Hopefully BlackBerry keeps their word on trying to help ex employees transition.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:22 PM
    Personally, I think Apple is next in line for the doom and gloom reporting. It's already started in fact... Once BlackBerry is out of the spotlight, they'll have to find a new victim.

This is nothing new to us Canadians. They did the same thing with Nortel.
    As a Canadian...I think Nortel kind of deserved it, eh?

btw - love your clockwork orange avatar
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-29-13 10:27 PM
    That is my point. The executives are flushing the hard-working staff down the toilet to fatten their own golden parachutes. Thorsten better be volunteering at the Kitchener-Waterloo soup kitchen throughout the Christmas holidays and donating 99% of his "getting fired bonus" to charity without a tax receipt. Alec Saunders can scrub toilets at the soup kitchen and homeless shelters throughout Ontario for the same period of time. Vivek can return to India without his bags of ill-gotten loot and without his "best and brightest" sash. As for the remainder of the executives I'll leave them to the torches and pitch fork carrying mobs of Kitchener-Waterloo.
    Why should he return to India? He was born in the UK to Indian parents, his mother was actually born in Kenya. I didn't see you mentioning that Thorsten should return to Germany (where I think he is from). It would be wise for you to research a little before you post things. If a failure at anything would mean people return back to their home countries, the US would be left a little empty, don't you think?
    bizzyqu, raino and Blacklatino like this.
    10-29-13 10:27 PM
    As a Canadian...I think Nortel kind of deserved it, eh?

btw - love your clockwork orange avatar
    Yeah, kind of. No doubt there was incompetence involved but there were other factors involved to help things along:

Nortel collapse linked to Chinese hackers - Business - CBC News

Chinese Hackers Suspected in Long-Term Nortel Breach - WSJ.com

Former Nortel exec warns against working with Huawei - Politics - CBC News

Corporate espionage and politics play their part!

As a Canadian I'm fascinated at the amount of innovation from my fellow citizens... James Gosling (Java), Nortel, BlackBerry, to name just the most recent innovators...

The Clockwork Orange avatar is a bit of an inside joke amongst friends. I have a habit of giving the evil eye when I disagree with something in polite company. =) Thanks!
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    10-29-13 10:36 PM
    Please refer to the press release for the latest quarter earnings OP....this is part of the 4,500
    10-29-13 10:59 PM
    There will be many rounds of successive layoffs. Initial layoffs are always overly optimistic, because people don't like laying people off. Human nature. Also, most people from inside a company see things through rose colored glasses.
    10-29-13 10:59 PM
    There will be many rounds of successive layoffs. Initial layoffs are always overly optimistic, because people don't like laying people off. Human nature. Also, most people from inside a company see things through rose colored glasses.
    And the major media will be there to give a sports-like breathless play by play of each round of layoffs...

Nature of the beast. BlackBerry has been a huge boon for media reporting. For whatever reason, stories about BlackBerry are popular and generate the necessary clicks.

So expect it to continue. What's amazing is that the U.S. media continues to report it at a time when BB sales are practically non-existent in that market.
    10-29-13 11:31 PM
    Why should he return to India? He was born in the UK to Indian parents, his mother was actually born in Kenya. I didn't see you mentioning that Thorsten should return to Germany (where I think he is from). It would be wise for you to research a little before you post things. If a failure at anything would mean people return back to their home countries, the US would be left a little empty, don't you think?
    I said quite a while ago that Thorsten should be stripped of his recently granted Canadian citizenship and deported. I try not to repeat myself when possible.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-30-13 02:56 AM
    the numbers are adding day by day ,it must be very painful for the employees .
    My support and good wishes to them.
    10-30-13 06:48 AM
    Straight from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation News Network comes word that BlackBerry will be laying off three hundred additional staff this week in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.Is that a giant flushing sound I hear?
    I bet they're BB10 testers...
    10-30-13 08:13 AM
    Not additional! Sad but a necessary continuation of the cost cutting measures at Blackberry so that the company can survive and eventually grow. Even Perma Watsa stated from the very beginning that the turnaround will take four years. Let us hope that we have seen bottom and with the launch of cross platform BBm and hopefully the last of the job cuts the uptrend will now start.
    10-30-13 08:42 AM
    Wait additional or is this part of the 4500?

Posted via CB10
    Part of the 4500

For the second time this month, BlackBerry has announced 300 of its employees in Waterloo will be laid off as part of a wider effort to reduce costs and pare down the smartphone maker's global workforce by 4,500
    10-30-13 09:34 AM
    I didn't say it was on top of the 4,500, just clarifying another posters comment saying that this article was the 300 layoffs from October 9th.
    Actually you did

The new article clearly states that this is another round of layoffs.
    10-30-13 09:45 AM
    Yeah, kind of. No doubt there was incompetence involved but there were other factors involved to help things along:

Nortel collapse linked to Chinese hackers - Business - CBC News

Chinese Hackers Suspected in Long-Term Nortel Breach - WSJ.com

Former Nortel exec warns against working with Huawei - Politics - CBC News

Corporate espionage and politics play their part!

As a Canadian I'm fascinated at the amount of innovation from my fellow citizens... James Gosling (Java), Nortel, BlackBerry, to name just the most recent innovators...

The Clockwork Orange avatar is a bit of an inside joke amongst friends. I have a habit of giving the evil eye when I disagree with something in polite company. =) Thanks!
    One of my favorite movies. McDowell is a nutcase in the movie.
    10-30-13 09:56 AM
    There is turmoil in just about every industry worldwide as we move through the global recession. Here in the U.S., even Hospitals are laying off workers due to a sharp decline in elective surgery and Medicare cuts.

But back to Black. BlackBerry is in play. The company is going to be re-shaped, molded, and again re-shaped many more times in the coming years. Layoffs are part of this restructuring. Not much would surprise me. But I'm a Dinosaur. I'm still on a 9780 with BIS, and actually like it. As my demographic erodes, it will be interesting to see what the Gen-X'ers and other users cling to. My money is on Windows Phone. But who knows? Berry could rebound nicely in 2014. Anything is possible. I just won't be surprised with any news coming out of their corporate office.
    10-30-13 10:12 AM
    it's sad but every company is going small to cut costs. The days of having a lot of employees are over. Almost every company is cutting down employees to cut costs.
    Blackberry is just doing it on a major scale because they are in a downward spiral. Shame how an amazing innovative, most secure company can fall like this because of terrible leadership in my hometown being a few blocks away from my house!!
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    10-30-13 10:58 AM
    Even if this was a malicious move by management (which it is not), Canadian law dictates unemployment benefits of up to 50% of what your most recent annual earnings for up to a year.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    10-30-13 01:07 PM
    Actually you did
    I thought it was pretty clear that it was another round of 300 layoffs which is part of the 4,500, guess not. Then again, 4,500 or 4,800, who really cares, its a lot of jobs with many people affected.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-30-13 01:34 PM
    Even if this was a malicious move by management (which it is not), Canadian law dictates unemployment benefits of up to 50% of what your most recent annual earnings for up to a year.

Thanks for that TidBit. I do business in Canada yet never knew this law. Good to know.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 using Tapatalk
    10-30-13 01:58 PM
    Just read an article about a couple with 3 kids lost their positions in Waterloo. The guy a few months ago and she lost hers recently. I would bet the farm they contributed more than the following.....ohhh, these figures are bonuses only, not salary....nice job BOD.

Frank Boulben, chief marketing officer: $7.7 million U.S. Dollar France
    Kristian tear, chief operating officer: $7.4 million U.S. Dollar Sweeden
    Brian Bidulka, chief financial officer: $6. Million US Dollar...?
    Thor Heins CEO 55 $million US Dollar German

10-30-13 07:40 PM
85 1234