11-05-13 09:18 AM
85 1234
tools
    Are they seriously going to report every time BlackBerry lays someone off? The company i work for is listed on the tsx and has a market cap of almost a billion dollars, when we lay people off it never makes the news, why is this the case with bb?

Posted from my Z10
    It's major local news......

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:32 AM
    The loss of 300 high class jobs in Waterloo is big news. They're not going to bury it because a few sad bbry diehards don't like it...
    I think the question is just, why does it need to keep being repeated? The media reported when BB announced they were going to lay them off, then they reported when BB actually laid them off - if you aren't paying attention, it does sound cumulative. For good measure they should report next week that there were layoffs the previous week, in case anyone missed it.
    10-29-13 11:35 AM
    A good friend just let me know they have "just" been laid off.....i feel so bad.....we were both temps praying to be hired on. I didn't they did. Now after 2 years laid off. So sad now my friend is left with a new mortgage and as of an hour ago no means to pay it.........blackberry as it stands isn't making any friends locally. I also wonder "if" things do get better who will really take the chance working for them. Bearing in mind all the lay offs didn't include the mass of temps BlackBerry had working for them.

Posted via CB10
    Not to be too insensitive - but this is the problem that is rampant. People buy houses at the max the banks will lend them, with minimum 5% down, and NO rainy day fund set aside BEFORE they buy a house! People should have 3-6 months living expenses (including mortgage payments) set aside.

I feel bad s/he lost his job. But I don't feel bad at all about the mortgage payment and not being able to walk away from it.
    10-29-13 11:36 AM
    Not to be too insensitive - but this is the problem that is rampant. People buy houses at the max the banks will lend them, with minimum 5% down, and NO rainy day fund set aside BEFORE they buy a house! People should have 3-6 months living expenses (including mortgage payments) set aside.

I feel bad s/he lost his job. But I don't feel bad at all about the mortgage payment and not being able to walk away from it.
    Hey I didn't say anything about how much they put down on their house nor how much they have saved in the bank.......all i do know is payments will have to continue to be paid.....if you were trying NOT to sound insensitive.....sorry you FAILED

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:45 AM
    Hey I didn't say anything about how much they put down on their house nor how much they have saved in the bank.......all i do know is payments will have to continue to be paid.
    It's that way for everyone. If you look at a coworker and either you or he/she could have no paycheck in the next 6 months, it's not the best time to be taking on new commitments.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 10-29-13 at 12:19 PM.
    10-29-13 12:00 PM
    I think the question is just, why does it need to keep being repeated?
    What would be more valuable to readers (and even investors) is if BlackBerry would divulge which areas they are streamlining each time.
    10-29-13 12:04 PM
    Wait additional or is this part of the 4500?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:08 PM
    Please show some sensitivity. That's 300 families who will be adversely affected before Christmas.
    not smart for a bread-maker to continue to have the same job with this company if there was hardly any job security to begin with (after 2010). sounds like they should have been prepared a while ago for this and searching for new jobs. i'm hearing the flushing sound as well.
    10-29-13 12:23 PM
    Wait additional or is this part of the 4500?

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't really matter. The 4500 is just a finger in the air budget saving figure anyway. Currently they are trying to sell off some big divisions they deem are no longer part of their plans. The big layoffs will come if there are no buyers before the fairfax bid goes through. Xmas I guess..
    SubCamp likes this.
    10-29-13 12:24 PM
    not smart for a bread-maker to continue to have the same job with this company if there was hardly any job security to begin with (after 2010). sounds like they should have been prepared a while ago for this and searching for new jobs. i'm hearing the flushing sound as well.
    Such garbage.....everyone in employment hopes to continue being employed.......we all live with the hope that our jobs are secure. lay offs can happen to anyone at anytime as only upper management really know what's going on in any company. Regular workers are always the last to know

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:49 PM

While I don't have a mortgage I did have a substantial rainy day fund (5 years living expenses) from the dot-com boom-bust cycle and never touched it. However, after a series of successive lay-offs that fund is completely depleted. If not for the grace of God, I would have been homeless right now. Spiller, you are a moron.
    10-29-13 01:13 PM
    That's good news. Doing some house cleaning before a take over means a fresh start.
    10-29-13 01:51 PM
    That's good news. Doing some house cleaning before a take over means a fresh start.
    We'll all be celebrating when you get fired... Good news..
    10-29-13 02:45 PM
    Way to go will the Christmas spirit...........

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:03 PM
    Imaginary conversation...

Scumbag Forumer: How's it going?

Joe Waterloo: I've got some bad news today. Myself and 299 other people got laid off. Oh well what can you do?

Scumbag Forumer: That's not news, those layoffs are part of the 4500 announced *months* ago. Stop trying to make it a big deal.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-29-13 06:12 PM
    Imaginary conversation...

Scumbag Forumer: How's it going?

Joe Waterloo: I've got some bad news today. Myself and 299 other people got laid off. Oh well what can you do?

Scumbag Forumer: That's not news, those layoffs are part of the 4500 announced *months* ago. Stop trying to make it a big deal.
    LOL, imaginary indeed. No one would say that
    10-29-13 06:14 PM
    That is my point. The executives are flushing the hard-working staff down the toilet to fatten their own golden parachutes. Thorsten better be volunteering at the Kitchener-Waterloo soup kitchen throughout the Christmas holidays and donating 99% of his "getting fired bonus" to charity without a tax receipt. Alec Saunders can scrub toilets at the soup kitchen and homeless shelters throughout Ontario for the same period of time. Vivek can return to India without his bags of ill-gotten loot and without his "best and brightest" sash. As for the remainder of the executives I'll leave them to the torches and pitch fork carrying mobs of Kitchener-Waterloo.
    Do you know how much event he starting salaries of those white collars in Waterloo are? I seriously doubt that any of them will ever need to visit a soup kitchen...
    10-29-13 06:15 PM
    Geez, read the news, date before you jump down his/her throat! KW is a small area. This is huge news. It would be news in NYC. Interesting how the previous story also had 300 layoff, do they want to confuse the public, similar to the knee jerk loyalists on this post? Perhaps. News is news.
    10-29-13 06:33 PM
    Straight from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation News Network comes word that BlackBerry will be laying off three hundred additional staff this week in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.Is that a giant flushing sound I hear?
    Nope. The toilet is still running. Just jiggle the handle. .)
    10-29-13 07:49 PM
    While i agree with showing sensitivity towards the families, the intent of the thread was indicated by the referenced "flushing sound"....another BlackBerry doom thread.
    10-29-13 07:54 PM
    While i agree with showing sensitivity towards the families, the intent of the thread was indicated by the referenced "flushing sound"....another BlackBerry doom thread.
    Listen up chump, BlackBerry as we know it won't be the same BlackBerry after the sale. The Employees didn't destroy the reputation of the company or the products and services; the executives did it by themselves. And I doubt you have the ability to read my mind to asertain my intent.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-29-13 08:42 PM
    I think the question is just, why does it need to keep being repeated? The media reported when BB announced they were going to lay them off, then they reported when BB actually laid them off - if you aren't paying attention, it does sound cumulative. For good measure they should report next week that there were layoffs the previous week, in case anyone missed it.
    Personally, I think Apple is next in line for the doom and gloom reporting. It's already started in fact... Once BlackBerry is out of the spotlight, they'll have to find a new victim.

This is nothing new to us Canadians. They did the same thing with Nortel.
    10-29-13 09:02 PM
    Listen up chump, BlackBerry as we know it won't be the same BlackBerry after the sale. The Employees didn't destroy the reputation of the company or the products and services; the executives did it by themselves. And I doubt you have the ability to read my mind to asertain my intent.

I think everyone is aware of that. Why did you call BlackLatino a chump? Was that necessary?
    10-29-13 09:04 PM

LMAO. First, nothing personal. Next, you're right...I can't read you mind. I read your d8mn post. Nothing new, same ish, different thread. At this point, who doesn't know the Execs made mistakes? Everything you just posted .......adds up to another BlackBerry Is Dead Thread. I'll let that one go. Just remember, being nice is a choice.
    anon(5624621) and ghundiraj like this.
    10-29-13 09:29 PM
    I think everyone is aware of that. Why did you call BlackLatino a chump? Was that necessary?
    That's cool. I have to practice more restraint now or I'm sure "someone" will pop up.
    kevinnugent and ghundiraj like this.
    10-29-13 09:40 PM
85 1234