11-05-13 10:18 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    Straight from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation News Network comes word that BlackBerry will be laying off three hundred additional staff this week in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.Is that a giant flushing sound I hear?
    10-29-13 10:44 AM
    This is old news now. The article you linked to was from the 8th of this month.
    jupiter8 and Blacklatino like this.
    10-29-13 10:46 AM
    Additional? No, they are part of the 4500

Posted from my Z10
    jupiter8, donmateo and pmccartney like this.
    10-29-13 10:47 AM
    10-29-13 10:48 AM
    I thought that they were at it again. Glad that isn't the case.
    10-29-13 10:51 AM
    This is old news now. The article you linked to was from the 8th of this month.
    If we keep posting this article every week we can make it look like they are laying off 300 people a week

Sorry OP couldn't resist. Just a word of advice when posting news articles, look at their published date

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:52 AM
    Thanks I haven't noticed the article date and have now updated my original posting with the newest article.
    10-29-13 10:52 AM
    If we keep posting this article every week we can make it look like they are laying off 300 people a week

Posted via CB10
    The new article clearly states that this is another round of layoffs.

For the second time this month, BlackBerry has announced 300 of its employees in Waterloo will be laid off as part of a wider effort to reduce costs and pare down the smartphone maker's global workforce by 4,500.
    BlackBerry cuts another 300 jobs in Waterloo - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News
    10-29-13 10:54 AM
    Not news, just part of the overall downsizing. Still sad, tho

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, jupiter8 and Blacklatino like this.
    10-29-13 10:58 AM

Well crap. That is a bummer.
    10-29-13 11:00 AM
    This is not news - This is all part of their right sizing plan announced earlier. Are we going to have new rumors every time they actually lay the people off as part of the overall 4500?

"For the second time this month, BlackBerry has announced 300 of its employees in Waterloo will be laid off as part of a wider effort to reduce costs and pare down the smartphone maker's global workforce by 4,500."
    10-29-13 11:07 AM
    Is that a giant flushing sound I hear?
    Please show some sensitivity. That's 300 families who will be adversely affected before Christmas.
    10-29-13 11:10 AM

This is another round chipping away at the total 4,500 announced. It is phased over the coming months by varying amounts in various locations. Tough news for those affected. I have friends who work there.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    10-29-13 11:16 AM
    Please show some sensitivity. That's 300 families who will be adversely affected before Christmas.
    That is my point. The executives are flushing the hard-working staff down the toilet to fatten their own golden parachutes. Thorsten better be volunteering at the Kitchener-Waterloo soup kitchen throughout the Christmas holidays and donating 99% of his "getting fired bonus" to charity without a tax receipt. Alec Saunders can scrub toilets at the soup kitchen and homeless shelters throughout Ontario for the same period of time. Vivek can return to India without his bags of ill-gotten loot and without his "best and brightest" sash. As for the remainder of the executives I'll leave them to the torches and pitch fork carrying mobs of Kitchener-Waterloo.
    gg22, Nanker Phelge, xBURK and 3 others like this.
    10-29-13 11:21 AM

The article clearly states that this part of the 4500 anounced already.
    LP_Rigg and anon(5624621) like this.
    10-29-13 11:24 AM
    A good friend just let me know they have "just" been laid off.....i feel so bad.....we were both temps praying to be hired on. I didn't they did. Now after 2 years laid off. So sad now my friend is left with a new mortgage and as of an hour ago no means to pay it.........blackberry as it stands isn't making any friends locally. I also wonder "if" things do get better who will really take the chance working for them. Bearing in mind all the lay offs didn't include the mass of temps BlackBerry had working for them.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:39 AM
    The article clearly states that this part of the 4500 anounced already.
    I didn't say it was on top of the 4,500, just clarifying another posters comment saying that this article was the 300 layoffs from October 9th.
    10-29-13 11:45 AM
    A good friend just let me know they have "just" been laid off.....i feel so bad.....we were both temps praying to be hired on. I didn't they did. Now after 2 years laid off. So sad now my friend is left with a new mortgage and as of an hour ago no means to pay it.
    That's too bad but why would your friend take out a new mortgage while working for a company cutting half its workforce by May?
    Drew808 and Danny Ocean like this.
    10-29-13 11:47 AM
    That's too bad but why would your friend take out a new mortgage while working for a company cutting half its workforce by May?
    Finalized before may......besides when do you take that chance.....

Anyone reading this must know no job is secure
    Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:51 AM
    We all feel bad about the hardworking, loyal BlackBerry employees being laid off. It is always sad to hear of anyone losing a job wherever they may work.

BlackBerry has needed to trim its workforce which has been as bloated for years. The fact is, companies are not in business to provide jobs; for profit companies exist to produce a product or service hopefully at a "profit". Companies have to realign their workforce all the time, up or down, based upon market conditions. The real story is whether management is making the cuts in strategically advantageous areas.
    10-29-13 11:54 AM
    Off with his head.
    10-29-13 12:18 PM
    Are they seriously going to report every time BlackBerry lays someone off? The company i work for is listed on the tsx and has a market cap of almost a billion dollars, when we lay people off it never makes the news, why is this the case with bb?

Posted from my Z10
    10-29-13 12:21 PM
    We all feel bad about the hardworking, loyal BlackBerry employees being laid off. It is always sad to hear of anyone losing a job wherever they may work.

BlackBerry has needed to trim its workforce which has been as bloated for years. The fact is, companies are not in business to provide jobs; for profit companies exist to produce a product or service hopefully at a "profit". Companies have to realign their workforce all the time, up or down, based upon market conditions. The real story is whether management is making the cuts in strategically advantageous areas.
    It's just a little ironic that the managers selecting the grunts for the chop are the very incompetents who screwed up the bb10 launch, stupidly cancelled the PlayBook and then announced to the world that they were selling up. This isn't a bit of market conditions trimming, it's closing down half the company...
    10-29-13 12:24 PM
    See they seriously going to report every time BlackBerry lays someone off? The company i work for is listed on the tsx and has a market cap of almost a billion dollars, when we lay people off it never makes the news, why is this the case with bb?
    How often does your company put itself up for sale and layoff 40% of its global employees?
    10-29-13 12:26 PM
    Are they seriously going to report every time BlackBerry lays someone off? The company i work for is listed on the tsx and has a market cap of almost a billion dollars, when we lay people off it never makes the news, why is this the case with bb?

Posted from my Z10
    The loss of 300 high class jobs in Waterloo is big news. They're not going to bury it because a few sad bbry diehards don't like it...
    10-29-13 12:28 PM
85 123 ...