I thought it would be neat to share this with the CrackBerry community. Especially, with all the ongoing chatter still taking place on the Alicia Keys vs. Katy Perry thread. I came across these two articles in the tech section of USA TODAY. The first article just goes to further show that BlackBerry really needs to step up its marketing here in the states, as the article only mentions one BlackBerry phone and its specs, compared to mentioning multiple Android and Apple variants, and their features. Here it is for your reading pleasure:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...mpare/2808135/

The second article showcases an interview with a NFL player who is jobless at the moment, but who nonetheless is a big time name, and uses a BlackBerry as his second device for specific purposes. Although he may not be liked by many, the guy has more than 3 million Facebook followers. That HAS to be good enough for a decent commercial or two, right? LOL. Anyway, you occasionally hear stories like this of celebrities/athletes embracing their BlackBerries here in the states for whatever reasons, so it is always very interesting to me when they are not approached for BlackBerry marketing purposes. You just have to listen out for them. They are definitely out there. Anyway, here's the second article. Enjoy!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...owens/2821193/

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 08:50 PM
    hey they hired Alicia Keys..that worked out well right
    09-17-13 08:56 PM
    BlackBerry is dead.... at least in the USA.

They have spent the last five years turning the name BlackBerry into a synonym for "out of date". And the launch of the Z10 reinforced this and showed that corporate BlackBerry is out of touch with the rest of the smartphone market. Z10 wasn't a "premium" hardware device. Pricing was a fatal mistake. The OS was still in Beta And the lack of App support was puzzling - how do you have 3B in cash and not TRY to address at least the major apps.

No spokesperson or any amount of advertising is going to change that!

Until BlackBerry has official Instagram, Candy Crush, Pinterest, NetFlix and about a dozen other BIG apps that consumers use every day.... that isn't going to change. And until you start seen commercials and websites that advertise a company's (Banks, Retailers, Entertainment...) custom app being available at Play Store, App Store and BB World.... that isn't going to change.

People want a device that is compatible with the world they live in!
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 09-18-13 at 08:16 AM.
    09-18-13 07:26 AM
    Owens is a complete and utter jerk. Yeah, that's who you want associated with your business.
    app_Developer and EchoTango like this.
    09-18-13 08:28 AM
    In my experiences chatting with friends and such regarding BlackBerry most believe BlackBerry is out of business. Seriously they believe this and are quite surprised when I inform them this is not the case. I'm willing to bet there's a large percentage here who believe the same. BB TV adverts seem to be few and far between while we are near constantly pummeled with apple and droid ads.
    09-18-13 09:30 AM
    In my experiences chatting with friends and such regarding BlackBerry most believe BlackBerry is out of business. Seriously they believe this and are quite surprised when I inform them this is not the case. I'm willing to bet there's a large percentage here who believe the same. BB TV adverts seem to be few and far between while we are near constantly pummeled with apple and droid ads.
    That's why BBM cross platform will be so important and why they need to advertise the he11 out of it. It will show the BlackBerry is not dead and can still put out a useful product. And when those people the will use bbm are in need of a phone upgrade maybe they'll take a look at a BB device.

Sent from my Q10
    09-18-13 09:34 AM
    That's why BBM cross platform will be so important and why they need to advertise the he11 out of it. It will show the BlackBerry is not dead and can still put out a useful product. And when those people the will use bbm are in need of a phone upgrade maybe they'll take a look at a BB device.

Sent from my Q10
    Not sure if I have EVER seen an ad for WhatsApp, or Kirk....
    H_O_Boomaye and kbz1960 like this.
    09-18-13 10:01 AM
    marketing is just a small part of the problem.
    In the end, it is still about the eco-system.

For a high-school or colleague student, I do not see why they should own a bb phone when most of the apps for students are created on iphone.

In the enterprise world, I do not see bbry gets anything better. I work for a 100,000+ employee company, we can access company VPN through iOS only, and we have email client for iOS/Andriod. BBOS is never a option. It is very simple, if you know business software, just check Oracle/SAP/Salesforce/WorkDay/..., their mobile clients are always on iOS first.

PS: I am longing BBRY for the buyout rumor. I believe it will be sold in a whole or parts.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:06 AM
    I work in America daily, and was chatting to a guy when the headline "blackberries are NSA proof" came out just to see his reaction... he said, "do you know since blackberry uses their own servers that if they ever go down your entire phone is useless? phone, text, email, everything wont work! " (guy uses an android)

He reminded me of the big outage a couple of years ago, he said that is why nobody wants a blackberry, he trusts they have great security but doesnt believe they are reliable.

They have several dozen perception problems they need to clear up first before highering any more singers/actors/sports stars...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:09 AM

They have spent the last five years turning the name BlackBerry into a synonym for "out of date". And the launch of the Z10 reinforced this and showed that corporate BlackBerry is out of touch with the rest of the smartphone market. Z10 wasn't a "premium" hardware device. Pricing was a fatal mistake. The OS was still in Beta And the lack of App support was puzzling - how do you have 3B in cash and not TRY to address at least the major apps.

Until BlackBerry has official Instagram, Candy Crush, Pinterest, NetFlix and about a dozen other BIG apps that consumers use every day.... that isn't going to change. And until you start seen commercials and websites that advertise a company's (Banks, Retailers, Entertainment...) custom app being available at Play Store, App Store and BB World.... that isn't going to change.

So what about any of the current available BB10 devices in the US not "compatible" with the world they live in? Mine seems to connect to any and all networks, and provide service anywhere I have gone to date...at least thats how I define compatibility. Not to mention BB10 provides me with a superior to ALL platforms communications experience.

Apps? Is that the compatibility you are referring to? What would you have had them do....hold off on the launch for an extra 2-3 years until they could get all the apps YOU seem to think everyone needs (we all know thats not how it works). People like you are ignorant and unrealistic, what a stupid post.

I find BB10 is FAR more compatible for my life then other offerings...but then again, I do not have any use for Instagram, Candy Crush, Pinterest, NetFlix....but I also don't live in my Mom's basement and am not a teenage or lonely middle aged women. Dunno...I must be out of touch, although I suspect there are plenty of people like me. I guess BB needed to steal all Market share inthe first couple months of launch to please the naysayers.

With that said, I do think the apps you mentioned are needed, but the drama of your post is pathetic

On a side note, also like how the usual suspects "like" your post ..... I have to LOL for real, talk about a quick pile on.
    09-18-13 10:19 AM
    marketing is just a small part of the problem.
    PS: I am longing BBRY for the buyout rumor. I believe it will be sold in a whole or parts.
    This made me laugh..

Sold In a whole or parts... What other options are there? hehehehe
    anon1727506 and Undbiter65 like this.
    09-18-13 12:50 PM
    Owens is a complete and utter jerk. Yeah, that's who you want associated with your business.
    That's a very closed minded response. Did you even read my post? Did I mention anywhere within it that I personally want TO as a BlackBerry rep? Your response borderlines on the whole "going with the in crowd concept," in terms of "TO has a bad image, so I hate the guy." Do you even know him personally? My guess is, "No. " Neither do I. Neither am I a fan, for purposes pertaining to athletics only. I can't honestly say I don't like someone I've never met or spoken with personally. That's not fair to ANYBODY. That being said, a celebrity is a celebrity. They are useful at getting a product face time with the masses. Do you go into a store and not buy your favorite cereal because they had an athlete/celebrity with a bad image in one of their commercials? If so, good luck with being such a picky eater. We are not talking about using someone who has committed a major crime. That would be totally different. Sometimes the bad boy image sells. Charles Barkley (Wheaties, T-Mobile, and many other endorsements), Dennis Rodman, multiple NFL players (with both good AND bad images) for Campbell's Soup commercials, and many other brand/celebrity relationships have sold products by the tons using celebrities with images not well perceived by everybody. Sometimes the creative geniuses even play off of those bad images in some sort of lighthearted way that makes one chuckle. Yet, the product gets its image out there. The bottom line is, you either missed one of the points of my OP, or you didn't actually read it. The point you missed, in the second portion of the post was that, maybe, I repeat, "maybe," BlackBerry should really try approaching celebrities in the U.S. who happen to mention they are using a BlackBerry device. (TO is not the first I've heard say, or read about using one of the new BB10 devices) The point was not, "Hey, let's go grab TO for spots in BlackBerry commercials. With all the Apple and Android ads we see here, BlackBerry using multiple celebs for spots couldn't hurt its image anymore than it already is here in the states. However, I DO understand that such an endeavor may not be allowable with where their budget stands at the moment. This is why I stated at the beginning of my OP that I just thought it would be neat to share what I found with the CrackBerry community. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 12:56 PM
    So what about any of the current available BB10 devices in the US not "compatible" with the world they live in? Mine seems to connect to any and all networks, and provide service anywhere I have gone to date...at least thats how I define compatibility. Not to mention BB10 provides me with a superior to ALL platforms communications experience.

Apps? Is that the compatibility you are referring to? What would you have had them do....hold off on the launch for an extra 2-3 years until they could get all the apps YOU seem to think everyone needs (we all know thats not how it works). People like you are ignorant and unrealistic, what a stupid post.

I find BB10 is FAR more compatible for my life then other offerings...but then again, I do not have any use for Instagram, Candy Crush, Pinterest, NetFlix....but I also don't live in my Mom's basement and am not a teenage or lonely middle aged women. Dunno...I must be out of touch, although I suspect there are plenty of people like me. I guess BB needed to steal all Market share inthe first couple months of launch to please the naysayers.

With that said, I do think the apps you mentioned are needed, but the drama of your post is pathetic

On a side note, also like how the usual suspects "like" your post ..... I have to LOL for real, talk about a quick pile on.
    I think you both Missed & Got the point of his post. BlackBerry does work for you, and it will work for anyone that want's to make a phone call (as long as the owned hardware is not broken). But in admitting that it works for you, and telling why it works for you I believe you proved his point. Yes, phones make calls, and connect to mobile networks, they send texts and emails. If this was all you needed your phone for, you could by a *feature phone and be perfectly happy.

To say that because you don't need an app, it is stupid, or useless is wrong. It might not have use to you, but it is important to other people. Lets just take Candy Crush for example (I just did some research on them for work, so the info is fresh in my mind). This App generates > $630,000.00 every single day. There are over 300M downloaded copies of the game (most countries have less inhabitants). 1 in 7 Japanese people plays this game at least 1hr a day. There are rehabilitation centers in the UK. This app is huge, weather you want to acknowledge it or not. So is instagram, so is Vine, so are all these other major apps with 100M plus downloads.
    I know you'll make light of my example but think of it this way. Sunroofs are 100% useless to you, and so is a rear-view/back-up camera until you get one on your car. Phones aren't just about talking, and texting anymore; the same way cars aren't just about driving. I'm not personally attacking you, but the reason BB is in this situation is because they refuse to get with the times. There are so many little things they could have done to at least keep up; but they didn't. Now we are digging out of a hole that gets deeper every single day. Phones are getting water proofed, 41 megapixels, exotic colors, finger print scanners, etc.; but we here in the forums call them gimmicky and say they are useless because we don't have them. Then we even go further as to bad mouth people who say these things are needed. I think his opinion was solid and spot on. I think your opinion has points also, but fails to look at the big picture. It's bigger than a phone, and being able to call.

People who think communication lies only within phone calls, and texts are absolutely mistaken. Mobile is bigger than that. We need all the apps, if not all we definitely need the big ones. Maybe that post was dramatic, but I don't think it was wrong in anyway. Things at BlackBerry need to turn around fast.
    Rello, kbz1960, ccbs and 2 others like this.
    09-18-13 01:27 PM
    This made me laugh..

Sold In a whole or parts... What other options are there? hehehehe
    What other option except being sold? you do not know?

LOL.
    09-18-13 01:30 PM
    Wow that's a lot of words to basically say I should agree with your interpretation of celebrity endorsement.

From what I've witnessed of Owens, I have 0 desire to meet him. He's a prima donna athlete. He did more damage to teams than good. I'll take that further to say I don't buy products from endorsers that I have issue with. And no, it doesn't make me a picky eater or closed minded. It's very easy to find products with no celebrity attached.

I grew up in a generation where we held people accountable for their actions and also don't worship celebrity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-18-13 01:43 PM

If BlackBerry works for you and you are happy that is fine.

I personally wish that BlackBerry had the things that MOST people have come to expect of a modern smartphone. It doesn't and THAT is why sales have not taken off... not sure they aren't losing marketshare if legacy has continued to fall as much as it did the last few quarters. If you and BlackBerry expected people to wait 2-3 years for developers to get on board... that is being "out of touch". Both Android and Apple had time to build their platforms, because there weren't any other app platforms out there to compete against at the time. And if 2-3 Years was all it took.... well I have been using my PlayBook for over 2 years and it was suppose to be the "beginning" of BlackBerry's future new OS, so where are those apps.

As to my post being dramatic. It's hard not to be dramatic when talking about BB these days. THEY are the ones running around begging people to buy them before November. If that isn't dramatic.....
    09-18-13 02:17 PM
    This has to do with mobile computing.

Apple and DROID are further advanced with their app ecosystem.

To make it clearer:

Macs and Microsoft computer are dominating the consumer and professional market for one single reason.

There are no professional apps for Linux.

Whenever you want to use Linux for serious work, you are losing out because there are no apps.

The other points are quite nicely transferable to the mobile platform ecosystems.

It has been out for less than a year and are leapfrogging to close the app gap, however all that needs to happen is a monumental gain in market share to make it appealing for developers to invest into this ecosystem.

As mentioned above. When you are already making a truckload of money from one app, why should you try to boost the sales by investing into an ecosystem which will just marginally boost your profits?

I see all the amazing and useful apps on here and am convinced that with a user base of around 100 million, we will be strongly considered by developers.

How many BlackBerry 10 devices do we have now? 10 million?

Microsoft is cheating it's way out of this dilemma by having the apps work on Windows 8 PCs.....

and I am still fed up that BBM is not coming to Windows at the moment.

However, it might have been a killer blow to Skype and WhatsApp.

However this would be another thread......

Posted via CB10
    mylesw42 likes this.
    09-18-13 02:18 PM
    Wow that's a lot of words to basically say I should agree with your interpretation of celebrity endorsement.

From what I've witnessed of Owens, I have 0 desire to meet him. He's a prima donna athlete. He did more damage to teams than good. I'll take that further to say I don't buy products from endorsers that I have issue with. And no, it doesn't make me a picky eater or closed minded. It's very easy to find products with no celebrity attached.

I grew up in a generation where we held people accountable for their actions and also don't worship celebrity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CB Forums mobile app
    Once again, you missed the point of what I posted. The point this time was not to encourage you to agree with me at all. The point was to portray that your initial response was a very closed minded point of view. Nobody is attacking you as a person for being closed minded. However, your initial response was. Most of us know what Owens and his image is all about. No need to point that out. That's something to talk about on the many sports sites. In addition to that, I don't think you understand that you are talking to somebody who, as well, comes from a generation that does not worship athletes and celebs, in addition to holding them accountable. I'm not quite sure how you came to a conclusion, other than that. Especially, if you had actually read and understood what I posted. That being said, even the majority of those who come from the generation of celebrity worship don't actually walk in a store and say something to the salesperson along the lines of, "Hey, I want the hot new whatever device because such and such celebrity has it.". Nobody with common sense shops like that. The celebrity is only a tool to get the product's image out there.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 02:25 PM
    This has to do with mobile computing.

Apple and DROID are further advanced with their app ecosystem.

To make it clearer:

Macs and Microsoft computer are dominating the consumer and professional market for one single reason.

There are no professional apps for Linux.

Whenever you want to use Linux for serious work, you are losing out because there are no apps.

The other points are quite nicely transferable to the mobile platform ecosystems.

It has been out for less than a year and are leapfrogging to close the app gap, however all that needs to happen is a monumental gain in market share to make it appealing for developers to invest into this ecosystem.

As mentioned above. When you are already making a truckload of money from one app, why should you try to boost the sales by investing into an ecosystem which will just marginally boost your profits?

I see all the amazing and useful apps on here and am convinced that with a user base of around 100 million, we will be strongly considered by developers.

How many BlackBerry 10 devices do we have now? 10 million?

Microsoft is cheating it's way out of this dilemma by having the apps work on Windows 8 PCs.....

and I am still fed up that BBM is not coming to Windows at the moment.

However, it might have been a killer blow to Skype and WhatsApp.

However this would be another thread......

Posted via CB10
    Very good points.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 02:27 PM
    I think you both Missed & Got the point of his post. BlackBerry does work for you, and it will work for anyone that want's to make a phone call (as long as the owned hardware is not broken). But in admitting that it works for you, and telling why it works for you I believe you proved his point. Yes, phones make calls, and connect to mobile networks, they send texts and emails. If this was all you needed your phone for, you could by a *feature phone and be perfectly happy.

To say that because you don't need an app, it is stupid, or useless is wrong. It might not have use to you, but it is important to other people. Lets just take Candy Crush for example (I just did some research on them for work, so the info is fresh in my mind). This App generates > $630,000.00 every single day. There are over 300M downloaded copies of the game (most countries have less inhabitants). 1 in 7 Japanese people plays this game at least 1hr a day. There are rehabilitation centers in the UK. This app is huge, weather you want to acknowledge it or not. So is instagram, so is Vine, so are all these other major apps with 100M plus downloads.
    I know you'll make light of my example but think of it this way. Sunroofs are 100% useless to you, and so is a rear-view/back-up camera until you get one on your car. Phones aren't just about talking, and texting anymore; the same way cars aren't just about driving. I'm not personally attacking you, but the reason BB is in this situation is because they refuse to get with the times. There are so many little things they could have done to at least keep up; but they didn't. Now we are digging out of a hole that gets deeper every single day. Phones are getting water proofed, 41 megapixels, exotic colors, finger print scanners, etc.; but we here in the forums call them gimmicky and say they are useless because we don't have them. Then we even go further as to bad mouth people who say these things are needed. I think his opinion was solid and spot on. I think your opinion has points also, but fails to look at the big picture. It's bigger than a phone, and being able to call.

People who think communication lies only within phone calls, and texts are absolutely mistaken. Mobile is bigger than that. We need all the apps, if not all we definitely need the big ones. Maybe that post was dramatic, but I don't think it was wrong in anyway. Things at BlackBerry need to turn around fast.
    Ohhh...I got his point. I get the need for apps. For the record, Candy Crush actually generates $850,000/day for the developer. Its apparenly like crack for game junkies. I'm up to speed on the needed apps. My point to me not needing them was to demonstrate the hyperbiole of his statements.

BB does not control what developers will do. They built a capable platform to allow those developers to either build for or port over. They couldn't have made it any easier unless they went Android. What else did people want them to do?

There biggest failing was no marketing the product....nothing wrong with what they created thou
    09-18-13 02:57 PM
    As what I just read around the forum and news outlets, the issue at hand is also that we won't see this amount of users in the near future.

The US is sadly a lost cause and as it seems, the UK as well.... Phones4u, a larger phone retailer has also discontinued the Z10 and the Q10 is on its way out.... it seems to me more like BlackBerry itself is causing this more than anything else....

Selling within the channel means that you keep the stuff available to your distributors and create the Top seller lists.
    Everything not on it is causing you problems in lower quantities....

The adoption has been too slim as to make it worthwhile.

With BBM coming out on Sunday, and the clarifying earnings call, I am just going to wait and see....

The main challenge still is to get the device into as many hands as possible.

In case US and Europe are declared lost ground, the developers from emerging markets will have a field day and creating all the Apps.

This in turn means that the big apps wil never come....

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 03:03 PM
    Once again, you missed the point of what I posted.
    We ain't going to agree. Take care.
    09-18-13 04:29 PM

I have to agree with all of this!

Even though I might not use any of the apps listed here or have the sense to side load them, the general public does not.

People want instant gratification: see, want, have. Apps have become standard on other OSs. No one cares if the BB10 browser can do laps around Safari, "there's no candy crush? I don't
    want it." people are comfortable with what they know and rarely want to change unless there's something "exclusive " to be had.

Posted with a flick of my thumb via CB10
    09-19-13 06:58 AM
    Ohhh...I got his point. I get the need for apps. For the record, Candy Crush actually generates $850,000/day for the developer. Its apparenly like crack for game junkies. I'm up to speed on the needed apps. My point to me not needing them was to demonstrate the hyperbiole of his statements.

BB does not control what developers will do. They built a capable platform to allow those developers to either build for or port over. They couldn't have made it any easier unless they went Android. What else did people want them to do?

There biggest failing was no marketing the product....nothing wrong with what they created thou
    I'm not using hyperbole when I say that if what we have now is the best the BlackBerry can do... THEY ARE DEAD.

You can't build something like a smartphone and just HOPE that developers will build the applications that you should KNOW users will expect to be there. If you do then you are just wasting time and money. Developers can be courted and many can right out be BOUGHT... as Microsoft has done. Do you think KING Software wouldn't have ported a Candy Crush version over the BB10, if BB had come to them with a promise of X number of dollars plus the additional revenue they would gain from new users. What would it have cost to maybe get the top 20 or 30 apps on the BB10 Platform for launch? $50 Million? $100 Million? Not saying that paying every developer is a good idea or would be required. But those few key apps might have made a big difference in attracting consumers to the platform.

That said, it wouldn't have been a guarantee of success.... BlackBerry has made a number of mistakes, many going back years that made the launching of a new platform a huge gamble at best. Don't think BlackBerry had enough money to change most people perceptions of what BlackBerry was by just using standard marketing schemes.
    09-19-13 08:25 AM
    BlackBerry have a lack of apps because they don't have enough user base to get developers excited to create software for BlackBerry 10.

This is obviously an uphill battle.

One way to bring people over when there are missing features that can't easily be fixed is to have features or something exclusive to BlackBerry. It showed with BBM when there were no other IM competitors. Now there are other IM competitors and BBM is not as important as before.

BlackBerry still has some exclusive features like Security and BES 10 which help sway Government and Enterprise, but now that Government and Enterprise is slightly merging with Consumer, it makes it harder.

There are lots of little things coming through, like superior and variety of keyboards, Hub, TimeShift, Balance, Pause Button, Flow, Natural Sound, MultiTasking, which is absolutely great, BUT these are just 'superior features'. Other systems can do these, in a much more primitive form, but it is still kind of there.

When BBM came out, nothing was like it, especially when coupled with BIS. In fact, I think BlackBerry should make a NetFlix competitor coupled with an advanced BIS kind of service, making it unlimited downloads for that program. Other software competitors don't have that!!

Sooooo... it'll be up to BlackBerry to think of that exclusive feature!! A thin-tablet *could* be it. I don't really know, because if I did, they would employ me hahaha

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    09-19-13 10:44 AM