03-03-15 01:52 AM
33 12
tools
    Introduction of new models and future device plans?
    Picked up from the Verge. No time posted.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/27/81...ngress-details
    Last edited by W Hoa; 02-27-15 at 12:29 PM.
    02-27-15 11:50 AM
    02-27-15 12:17 PM
    looking forward to it
    02-27-15 12:21 PM
    I'm certainly not impressed with the RIO, as it seems to be a Z3 upgrade which is only of interest to low cost consumers and not BB's key target market, regulated enterprise users. Let's hope that's not the all-touch product they're talking about.

What I'm hoping to see is a comprehensive end-to-end strategy that provides corporate users with a highly robust solution unique in the current marketplace.

Providing "me to" products won't buy Blackberry much market traction.
    02-28-15 11:49 AM
    Hopefully they show off more than just the BlackBerry Leap.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:43 PM
    Maybe the Leap is actually an Android device.

It represents their "Leap of faith" into Android.

Posted via CB10
    walt63 likes this.
    02-28-15 05:45 PM
    I'm certainly not impressed with the RIO, as it seems to be a Z3 upgrade which is only of interest to low cost consumers and not BB's key target market, regulated enterprise users. Let's hope that's not the all-touch product they're talking about.

What I'm hoping to see is a comprehensive end-to-end strategy that provides corporate users with a highly robust solution unique in the current marketplace.

Providing "me to" products won't buy Blackberry much market traction.
    I disagree. Many companies are looking for cheap devices to offer employees when issuing corporate phones. Mine is one. The Classic and Z30 are the only two devices available. And I assume the RIO will replace the Z30 eventually.
    02-28-15 05:49 PM
    Maybe the Leap is actually an Android device.

It represents their "Leap of faith" into Android.

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha ha. That's funny. I literally thought that same thing. I really hope that we are on to something. BBRY needs an Android device for better app-ability and to gain consumer interest.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    02-28-15 06:12 PM
    And I assume the RIO will replace the Z30 eventually.
    Horrible replacement since it is lower specs and FUGLY!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 10:22 AM
    Ha ha ha. That's funny. I literally thought that same thing. I really hope that we are on to something. BBRY needs an Android device for better app-ability and to gain consumer interest.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    How many times does BlackBerry have to say it's focus is on enterprise not consumers. If you want an Android phone you have plenty to choose from. Seeing BlackBerry move to that platform now would be strategically difficult and likely kill its hardware division.

Look at today's news releases from MWC. They all talk about putting BlackBerry software on other companies' hardware, not the reverse. So you'd see more BlackBerry software of Samsung, iPhone and Windows devices. Now that's closer to a winning corporate strategy than putting Android OS on a BlackBerry device.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by alan510; 03-01-15 at 12:18 PM.
    03-01-15 10:43 AM
    Horrible replacement since it is lower specs and FUGLY!

Posted via CB10
    For the everyday corporate life of reading emails, making calls, viewing documents, messaging, etc, and no android apps, it will get the job done. And considering end users aren't paying for it then they can't complain about specs. I agree with you that it is a step backwards and not the nicest looking phone. However considering it is to BlackBerry what the Chevy Cruze is to Avis, it is more than competent.

I will add that if BlackBerry tries peddling this to consumers for anything more than $199 they deserve to go broke.
    03-01-15 11:10 AM
    How many times does BlackBerry have to say it's focus is on enterprise not consumers. If you want an Android phone you have plenty to choose from. Seeing BlackBerry move to that platform now would be strategically difficult and likely kill its hardware division.

Look at today's news releases from MWC. They all talk about putting BlackBerry software on other companies' hardware, not the reverse. So you'd see more BlackBerry software of Samsung, iPhone and Windows devices. Now that's closer to a winning corporate strategy than putting Android OS on a BlackBerry device.
    Posted via CB10
    When BBRY said they were focusing on enterprise, they were referring to enterprise/BES software only. Hence the latest news with them working with Google.

They are still selling devices in retail. They haven't waived the white flag on that yet. So, I'm not wrong to say they need an Android OS to play in retail. It's obvious that they do. And they wouldn't stop the BB10 OS, they would just also offer an Android version for the retail market. If anything, that's a winning strategy overall - you'll have everyone covered.
    03-01-15 12:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol... talk about fan blinders on.

Actually, that announcement further supports the theory that they are considering abandoning their own hardware and instead focusing providing BlackBerry functionality on other devices.

Posted via CB10
    walt63 and Witmen like this.
    03-01-15 01:00 PM

Actually, that announcement further supports the theory that they are considering abandoning their own hardware and instead focusing providing BlackBerry functionality on other devices.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately it will all be tied to BES too so when they stop selling phones and tell consumers who bought BlackBerry phones to now buy Samsung Galaxy devices (just like they told the devs to develop in Android and go to Amazon app store), we will only be able to get BBM because Hub and all the goodness will likely be an enterprise feature set of BES. Chen is only keeping the handset division open long enough now to get BES customers supporting the other platforms then he will kill it off and say businesses can now buy whatever platform they want except BlackBerry, and BlackBerry will support them.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:13 PM
    Um.. businesses who supply their employees want cheap phones not expensive ones. This is either for emerging markets where blackberry still has a decent market share or business who purchase hundreds of devices at a time.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:16 PM
    Unfortunately it will all be tied to BES too so when they stop selling phones and tell consumers who bought BlackBerry phones to now buy Samsung Galaxy devices (just like they told the devs to develop in Android and go to Amazon app store), we will only be able to get BBM because Hub and all the goodness will likely be an enterprise feature set of BES. Chen is only keeping the handset division open long enough now to get BES customers supporting the other platforms then he will kill it off and say businesses can now buy whatever platform they want except BlackBerry, and BlackBerry will support them.

Posted via CB10
    According to BlackBerry's announcement, both the Communication Suite and the Productivity Suite (the latter of which includes things like the Hub) can be bought separately and do not include BES - only the Security Suite packs BES. In fact, you can already get BBM Meetings and BBM Protected (part of the Communication Suite) without BES, so it's unlikely that they'll start tying these things to BES anytime soon.

I'm actually quite interested in seeing this in action - it'd give us the best of both worlds on other platforms. I just hope it isn't prohibitively expensive.
    03-01-15 01:20 PM
    According to BlackBerry's announcement, both the Communication Suite and the Productivity Suite (the latter of which includes things like the Hub) can be bought separately and do not include BES - only the Security Suite packs BES. In fact, you can already get BBM Meetings and BBM Protected (part of the Communication Suite) without BES, so it's unlikely that they'll start tying these things to BES anytime soon.

I'm actually quite interested in seeing this in action - it'd give us the best of both worlds on other platforms. I just hope it isn't prohibitively expensive.
    That's what I understood from the presser as well.

Only the security sweet is restricted to BES. However I don't like the fact that Blend and Password Keeper are lumped into the security sweet bundle.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:44 PM
    That's what I understood from the presser as well.

Only the security sweet is restricted to BES. However I don't like the fact that Blend and Password Keeper are lumped into the security sweet bundle.

Posted via CB10
    It's possible that Password Keeper will be available separately from the whole suite, the way BlackBerry Blend currently is. In fact, it's possible that everything listed will be available separately - we'll have to wait and see exactly what kind of strategy BlackBerry has planned for this.
    03-01-15 01:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    No fan blinders at all. Corporate focus is on enterprise, not consumers. Providing software packages that are OS agnostic and managed by BlackBerry Enterprise Servers is a good comprehensive sales strategy. There is no logical leap to a theory that they are one step closer to getting rid of hardware. I'd think they have enough employees to work on BlackBerry 10 refinements as well as software development for other platforms. Now it's a different story if they don't sell enough hardware. But that remains to be seen.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:55 PM
    I disagree. Many companies are looking for cheap devices to offer employees when issuing corporate phones. Mine is one. The Classic and Z30 are the only two devices available. And I assume the RIO will replace the Z30 eventually.
    Yup, exactly. Companies hate paying full freight for devices. Even Apple sells iPhone 4s at cut rate prices just to keep a foothold in the market.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 09:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it's funny how the blackberry haters missed this point.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 09:57 PM
    Hopefully they show off more than just the BlackBerry Leap.

Posted via CB10
    T.I.T.A.N. ... ;-)

(Throw Iphone, Trash ANdroid...)

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 03-03-15 at 04:42 PM.
    smart548, gvs1341 and Andy_bb_king like this.
    03-02-15 02:40 AM
    T.I.T.A.N. ... ;-)

(Throw IPhone, Trash ANdroid...)

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    I like the way you think

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    03-02-15 09:29 AM
    Yup, exactly. Companies hate paying full freight for devices. Even Apple sells iPhone 4s at cut rate prices just to keep a foothold in the market.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure the 5C is the oldest iPhone in production... And while there maybe a few 4S still out there in the retail supply chain, the ones I found were very limited and still $200. So not sure that Apple is having to do any "cut rate prices". Apple just isn't interested in fighting in the sub $200 (or even sub $100) market where Android has seen much of its growth.

We will have to see what Chen says tomorrow and if he has anything more concrete to show us. But he is walking a tightrope between giving enterprise users confidence in the hardware and moving to a product with a possible future..
    03-02-15 10:19 AM
    Any updates on the time the event takes place? Kinda strange not to announce it...
    03-02-15 11:40 AM
33 12