11-06-13 04:23 PM
62 123
tools
    Regardless, BlackBerry can't dump the handset business, without it, they're not in business, just waiting until the last BlackBerry user buys an iPhone to turn the lights off.
    So, WhatsApp isn't in business? Good and Mobile Iron aren't in business? QNX wasn't in business?

Obviously, if BB gave up the hardware business, they'd have to be a MUCH smaller company, but there's no reason they couldn't SURVIVE and have success with BBM, BES10, and QNX and the work they are doing in those areas.

Continuing in the hardware business will sink ALL of BB, and I'm pretty sure they realize that even in Waterloo.
    11-05-13 03:17 PM
    If only Samsung can make money on Android handsets, what makes you think that Blackberry would be turned around using a loosing OS like Android.
    Ugh..first off, it's "losing"

Secondly, other manufacturers besides Samsung are making profits, just not quite as large..

LG Q3 2013 earnings: smartphone sales up 24% year-over-year | BGR
    A 24% increase over mobile sales from Q3 2012
    Sony Smartphone Sales Hit 10 Million In Q2 - AIC | Android in Canada Blog
    Overall smartphone sales hit the 10 million mark in Q2, up from 9.6 million in Q1.
    10 million in 3 months. How many BB10 handsets sold in 3 months? Less than 2 million? /yawn
    11-05-13 03:36 PM
    Curious, to all the folks that think BlackBerry is doomed. Are you saying that management, and all their employees should just pack up, quit, and go hunt for new jobs? Hero stories aren't created by quiters- they are created by people to succeed in the face of impossible challenges. BlackBerry is in the perfect position for a hero story; the stage is set - non-believers a plenty, impossible odds. I'm hoping for a successful "hail mary"

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 04:12 AM
    Curious, to all the folks that think BlackBerry is doomed. Are you saying that management, and all their employees should just pack up, quit, and go hunt for new jobs? Hero stories aren't created by quiters- they are created by people to succeed in the face of impossible challenges. BlackBerry is in the perfect position for a hero story; the stage is set - non-believers a plenty, impossible odds. I'm hoping for a successful "hail mary"

Posted via CB10
    I think most people are just saying the handset division is doomed. The company will go bankrupt in 12-18 months if it continues to make what people aren't buying. Even assuming it could be done, there's not enough time left to turn the division around.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-06-13 06:38 AM
    I think most people are just saying the handset division is doomed. The company will go bankrupt in 12-18 months if it continues to make what people aren't buying. Even assuming it could be done, there's not enough time left to turn the division around.
    BlackBerry will rise from the ashes just like a phenix

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 06:51 AM
    Blackberry has enough inventory of devices to last for a long time. No need to make more.
    11-06-13 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry might be able to survive without the handset division but that would mean a total overhaul of their business. I personally think that from the words of the new CEO, they will not shut down the handset division but will rather forcus on the software and services side with the handset division complementing what ever software or services they decide to provide.
    11-06-13 07:43 AM

Secondly, other manufacturers besides Samsung are making profits, just not quite as large..

LG Q3 2013 earnings: smartphone sales up 24% year-over-year | BGR

Sony Smartphone Sales Hit 10 Million In Q2 - AIC | Android in Canada Blog

10 million in 3 months. How many BB10 handsets sold in 3 months? Less than 2 million? /yawn
    You know the post will be bad when they start off fixing spelling mistakes that may have slipped by the author, and then don't write complete sentences or don't have proper punctuation.

What you should have wrote. "Ugh". First off, it is spelled losing. "Ugh" isn't a word and needs to be quoted. It's should be spelled out and you need a period at the end of a sentence. To attack a persons spelling by using improper grammar is the worst thing you can do to make yourself look bad.

Now we got that sorted out.

LG had an increase in phone SALES of 24% but a loss of 2.4% in the same division. Thanks for proving my point.

Sony did make a slim margin (6 million dollars) compared to previous losses. Last year losses was 295 million so they are still trying to recover and unless things change dramatically, it will take a long time for them to break even.

Want to try again?
    11-06-13 12:32 PM
    Want to try again?
    Absolutely. Although I think I perfectly proved my point, in that other manufacturers' (besides Samsung) are in fact seeing steady growth (which in turn, generally leads to profits), unlike BBRY, who is still seeing steady declines. You seemed to equate that BBRY would be worse off going to Android (because it is a "loosing" OS), when in fact other makers have proven otherwise.

Would Android save BBRY? Lol..no. BBRY couldn't save themselves with a life jacket and rubber dingy on this sinking ship they're on.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-06-13 12:50 PM
    Blackberry has enough inventory of devices to last for a long time. No need to make more.
    Whilst true, that's hardly the point.

If BB can't sell BB10 phones now (when they are shiny and new), think how hard it'll be to sell "old" devices off an inventory pile...
    11-06-13 01:19 PM
    I have been bearish on BB stock for some time but it is getting near a buy point. For those with patience that is. Day traders have the attention span of fleas but the carcass is about picked clean at current pps. They are going to have to renegotiate some hardware/parts purchase contracts that is for sure, or the cash burn will get intense. Hopefully they can do it without getting sued, they have enough of that going on already. I don't expect those lawsuits on malfeasance to go very far, just some lawyers looking to feed off clients who will get next to nothing if they happen to win, while the lawyers homes in Scarsdale get remodeled. At between 6 & 7 it is a sleeper stock looking a year or two down the road. If it does go bust you write off the loss vs capital gains. Life goes on.
    11-06-13 01:27 PM
    BlackBerry will rise from the ashes just like a phenix palm

Posted via CB10
    Of course it will.
    11-06-13 04:23 PM
62 123