11-06-13 03:23 PM
62 123
tools
    Some people just feed off and enjoy spreading negativity. Chen is not TH.
    And Thor was not Jim and Jim was not Mike.

It's a change. It could be good. It could be great. But too many are quick to start swinging from jock straps.

Best to adopt a wait an see attitude.

Otherwise some might wind up hiding in the woodwork like some are doing now.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-04-13 04:38 PM
    Will the prey never learn.

The trap has been reset.
    Yup. You nailed it. Reminds me when of when I set a mouse trap for mice in a log pile. Every night new cheese, every day a new victim until I got them all.
    They just never could accept what was staring them in the face.
    Think PlayBook.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-04-13 05:06 PM
    "Me: Are you considering a Blackberry bid?

Them: No.

Me: Then what do you make of the reports?

Them: They asked us to look, so we took the meeting as a courtesy."

This is just embarrassing.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-04-13 05:09 PM
    TH's biggest mistake was giving up j putting out the for sale sign. I suspect that killed what few few sales they had left this quarter

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-04-13 05:11 PM
    Jesus, you lot are truly the doom brigade.

Many companies go through bad patches and bounce back. How much ground is lost and regained regularly?

They will come back to being a good player but they may not get back to their original status. Someone else will come along and smash the market with something new and currently not around, it's how it goes.

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10. Pin:2B30530D http://geekphreek.com
    Yeah, a lot of people with their "facts" on here about "BlackBerry is finished" & those type of comments don't understand that and wouldn't survive as a intern, much less as a ceo for a multi-billion company like BlackBerry. There isn't any company in the smartphone world not named Samsung or Apple doing well at the moment and they are still cranking out phones and BlackBerry will too. So either hang in there and watch what happens next or find another platform to use and their related sites to go to.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 05:19 PM
    Apps apps apps.....and blackberry must remember their customers are not all business people......i mean have you seen the amount of kids sporting BlackBerries....

In my house there's one blackberry...an iPhone and one android.....there were two iPhones but my daughter dumped it for an android. prior to the iPhone she had a BlackBerry. She loved bbm but said lack of apps made it useless to her

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l and angieberry10 like this.
    11-04-13 05:39 PM
    Blah blah.... just like they were "committed " the the PlayBook...?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Shlooky like this.
    11-04-13 05:42 PM
    Blah blah.... just like they were "committed " the the PlayBook...?

Posted via CB10
    Lol.......

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 05:43 PM
    I think the easiest strategy for a "turnaround" for BBRY is to sell BBRY handsets fashioned with Android. The handset business and the Blackberry brand still has value to it if it can achieve a certain volume of sales.

The problem is that BB10 is directly and indirectly impeding hardware sales. (It's indirectly impeding it by dragging along hardware development times. This was the case for Nokia for a long time too with Symbian and a possible reason why the Z30 is only dual core Snapdragon S4.) Furthermore, Blackberry may not even have the workers to maintain BB10 any more.

Even if the handset division never returns to profitability, BBRY may still be able to offload it for some value in the Android scenario. In its current state, however, it is worth negative dollars.
    If only Samsung can make money on Android handsets, what makes you think that Blackberry would be turned around using a loosing OS like Android. They would have to rewrite it for security and Google is using an iron fist to prevent any services other than Google's on an Android phone.
    11-04-13 05:48 PM
    They don't have a "few years" at their current burn rate. And meanwhile, the rest of the world doesn't stand still. BB fall further behind, lose more and more supplier deals, and their costs continue to rise.

They threw a tonne of resources on the BB10 launch. If they still had a pouch of pixie dust hidden away, the time to use it was 10 months ago.
    The temp CEO says 6 quarters.
    11-04-13 05:49 PM
    "No plans to" means that can change at any moment. I will be much more comfortable with that statement once I see something tangible arriving after the Z30. Until then, well, who knows?
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-04-13 06:08 PM
    The handset division is core to BlackBerry and is not going anywhere. Right now the company needs to arrest further negative earnings and this will mean further expenditure cuts in the short term.

BlackBerry can realistically only survive as a niche player with a core enterprise base. The "prosumer" market segment is one that is already being saturated by the competition.
    11-04-13 06:18 PM
    The temp CEO says 6 quarters.
    How temp is temp? Will he be around in 6 quarters?

What will the non temp permanent replacement maybe CEO say? 8 quarters?

Again. Best to stop grabbing at jockey shorts and wait an see.

It hasn't even been 24 hours and already Chen's shorts are stretched down around his ankles with the parroting of his every word.
    11-04-13 06:22 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Good move all around by BlackBerry.... build on recent successes now and calm consumers and businesses....

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 06:28 PM
    If only Samsung can make money on Android handsets, what makes you think that Blackberry would be turned around using a loosing OS like Android. They would have to rewrite it for security and Google is using an iron fist to prevent any services other than Google's on an Android phone.
    That's why there is no BBM for Android! Oh,wait...

Bottom line, there is no doubt in my mind that a BlackBerry device running Android would sell better than the BlackBerry 10 devices so far have. No question about it. Not only would a BlackBerry skinned Android-based device outsell BB10, but it would have also been cheaper and easier to create.

Consumers have spoken and less than 1% of the market decided to purchase a device running BlackBerry 10. Meanwhile, 1.5 million people buy a Android-powered device everyday.

Android probably wouldn't have saved BlackBerry either, but I'm sure it would have helped them a lot more than the disaster named BlackBerry 10 did.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-04-13 07:46 PM
    This is brilliant news.

BlackBerry definitely has enough in its stables for a turnaround. I just hope that it can!!

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-04-13 07:52 PM
    This guy sounds promising, he's talking about bringing in people from outside and to me thats needed, and as for those he's promoting, I hope clewely is one of them.

Posted via CB10
    He turned around Sybase. The Sybase SQL Anywhere product is specifically used in a lot of SMB software. Point of Sale systems favor using it. In fact QuickBooks integrated it years back in place of its aging and problematic file based database. I have seen the Sybase SQL Anywhere product improve A LOT over the years under Chen. Not sure how much he knows about BlackBerrys core business. Or what his ideas for big changes might be. We'll see. Also he's "interim" right -- and so he might not be there all that long in any case.
    11-04-13 08:03 PM
    I can't see a rebound from 1% market share. They managed to loose market share at the same time that privacy issues are front page news daily. The time was ripe to trumpet mobile security, but nobody seems to care.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:12 PM
    Simple: because it's not possible to be a "niche provider" AND be your own ecosystem. You could be a niche provider in someone else's (much more robust) ecosystem, but in order for developers to make apps for your platform, they want to see MARKETSHARE, and BB doesn't have any (BB10 marketshare is less than 1%). Very few people want to buy a smartphone with no apps.
    Yeah, we all know that, no ecosystem, bad marketshare, etc., etc. Regardless, they're gonna ride it out until the end. They have sucky marketshare, and they're losing money with the handset division, but it's what they do. It's their core business. All other services follow from the handset business. Drop the handset business, what do you have? Again, a Whatsapp wannabee, email forwarder, MDM, VPN, and a crappy app store. That's not a multi-billion dollar business. Shed the handset business, most of those side-businesses go along with it. I mean, how many businesses are going to buy into BES10 if they don't have any BlackBerry handsets to support? That's the great experiment with cross-platform BBM, to see if any of its parts can survive without the handset component.

If BlackBerry did indeed sell, I suspect regardless of the buyer, it would have been chopped up for parts, mostly for the IP. Since they're going to stay in business, they're going to keep making handsets. There's nothing else for them to do. Think about it.... No handsets, who buys BES licenses? No handsets, no additional revenue from the NOC. No handsets.... no need for the app store.

What BlackBerry needs to do is make the handset division profitable. How will they do that? Who knows. It's certainly possible though. There are any companies smaller than BlackBerry who manage to turn a profit selling smartphones. Maybe they'll hire some consultants from IBM. Maybe they'll go Android or WP. Maybe they should take lessons from the likes of Coolpad and other cheap hardware vendors. Regardless, BlackBerry can't dump the handset business, without it, they're not in business, just waiting until the last BlackBerry user buys an iPhone to turn the lights off.

EDIT: None of this is to say I believe BlackBerry will succeed in their turnaround attempt. I think there are a couple of ways for them to return to profitability, but a lot of it will depend on BlackBerry's willingness to bite the bullet and dump BB10 and contract out their builds. Even then it's a longshot. I just don't think they're ever going to dump the handset business.
    11-04-13 08:12 PM
    Having no plans currently.... does not translate to not getting out of the handset business.... As Mr. Chen turnaround experience is with a software company which he successfully turned around.... makes sense for him to concentrate on that strategy.... time will tell......
    11-04-13 08:16 PM
    The alternative to handsets I guess would be to develop a secure container system like what Good does, that could be deployed on employee's phones and managed with BES. The problem is that Good appears to be worth around $1B, so even if BB managed to build something similar it would mean a much smaller company.
    11-04-13 08:25 PM
    I think the easiest strategy for a "turnaround" for BBRY is to sell BBRY handsets fashioned with Android. The handset business and the Blackberry brand still has value to it if it can achieve a certain volume of sales.

The problem is that BB10 is directly and indirectly impeding hardware sales. (It's indirectly impeding it by dragging along hardware development times. This was the case for Nokia for a long time too with Symbian and a possible reason why the Z30 is only dual core Snapdragon S4.) Furthermore, Blackberry may not even have the workers to maintain BB10 any more.

Even if the handset division never returns to profitability, BBRY may still be able to offload it for some value in the Android scenario. In its current state, however, it is worth negative dollars.
    A while back I might have agreed with you. Way back before launch when android plans were floated, even though many were outraged by it, I was one the fence.....had I known how little app support they actually had, I'd have been all for it - a small chance is better than no chance.

Now though....I don't think they have the resources or cachet to even pull this off. The brand was tarnished before...now it's just....failure/desperation/broken promises....and they'd have to come up with serious hardware offerings - which they don't seem able to do. :-(
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-04-13 08:46 PM
    Simple: because it's not possible to be a "niche provider" AND be your own ecosystem. You could be a niche provider in someone else's (much more robust) ecosystem, but in order for developers to make apps for your platform, they want to see MARKETSHARE, and BB doesn't have any (BB10 marketshare is less than 1%). Very few people want to buy a smartphone with no apps.

And once your sales drop below a certain volume, you can no longer be profitable paying to design, engineer, produce, code, distribute, and market a smartphone, much less make a profit at doing so. BB is at that point already: they are LOSING money being in the hardware business, and their sales continue to drop. This Q's numbers are going to make last Q's disastrous numbers look like a sales success by comparison - at least last quarter, there was still advertising and full carrier support; this quarter, carriers dropped support, the "strategic review" happened, and businesses either put BB10 purchases on hold or chose another platform.

Of course, if BB were to declare that they were out of the phone business, their only option would be to firesale all of their existing inventory for another huge loss. By stating that they have "no plans, just yet" to exit the hardware business means they're going to try to get as much money as they can from their existing phone inventory before they "officially" shut it down.

It's Business 101: you have to be able to make a profit on the products you produce, or, if not, be taking *significant* marketshare away from your competitors in trade for losing money temporarily. BB is doing neither, and they can't continue to do what they've been doing without burning through their cash in a year (maybe 18 months with the extra billion they just borrowed, but that assumes that they'd be allowed to spend down to $0, which won't happen).
    bingo. good post -as were some of the posts (mike007, jeep, maggie, etc.) before it.

Chen: Yeah....we're really screwed in hardware....no way to make a go of that so yeah....our primary business is hooped.

Of course he wouldn't say that even though more are realizing it every day.

As to Chen himself, I make no judgment, what I do think is that he could be the best businessman in the world, he DOES NOT have the pieces and tools in BB to make a comeback in handsets. It's absurd at this point for reasons I've outlined many times. If they had developer support as they claimed at the beginning of the year they had a SMALL chance - if they did everything right (definitely not), but NOW......well the wells have been poisoned....and the company is in ruins.

John chen turn around handsets with less than half the workforce, very limited financial resources, no buzz (actually all negative buzz and rightly so), marketshare absolutely plummeting everywhere - no more strongholds anywhere, bb7 fading, the new handsets rejected, carriers burned, developers burned, users burned (pb and other broken promises).

Even if we just ASSUME chen could have done something with BB prior to Heins, we might as well tie him up, chain him to a stone, and ask him to win an Olympic 100m heat, featuring Apple and Google, and the other best sprinters in the world.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-04-13 09:02 PM
    The alternative to handsets I guess would be to develop a secure container system like what Good does, that could be deployed on employee's phones and managed with BES. The problem is that Good appears to be worth around $1B, so even if BB managed to build something similar it would mean a much smaller company.
    It would a smaller company, but potentially growing and profitable. Wouldn't that be better than running the current strategy into the ground?
    11-04-13 09:07 PM
    Android probably wouldn't have saved BlackBerry either, but I'm sure it would have helped them a lot more than the disaster named BlackBerry 10 did.
    Keep dreaming.. Why are you here again? No one likes you on Android Central?
    11-04-13 09:09 PM
62 123