05-23-14 12:27 AM
62 123
tools
    i don't understand why Canadian do not support Blackberry.
    Only thing there's pride about is men's hockey and to some degree oddly enough, Justin Bieber and Rob Ford. No room for BlackBerry. :P

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 11:23 AM
    AirDrop? Oh Bluetooth that only works with Apple. Sooooo STUPID. Old technology made to sound new
    05-17-14 11:40 AM
    I visited both AT&T and Verizon corporate stores as well as traditional retail outlet such as Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. Verizon store was the only one had Q10, Z10, and Z30 on display and in stock. Most outlet has no inventory of BlackBerry in anyway.
    Worst part is that every sales person (including VZW) talked down on BlackBerry...very disappointing.

BlackBerry needs to learn that in modern age, you have to release the product within weeks of announcement. Further, it needs to build corporate outlets that features it's products. Lastly, they need to focus on what they are good at instead of chasing other products.
    In my humble opinion, it would probably be beneficial to them if the BlackBerry shop online start selling phones with contract as well.

Jim
    05-17-14 12:11 PM
    Here is a example of the problem BlackBerry faces.

Our assistant had a BlackBerry Bold. Her friends all have iPhones or Android phones. She went to the store to upgrade and the only BlackBerry they had was a Q10 with no display. She went iPhone in spite of loving her qwerty because "every one has an iphone now anyway".

It's tough to sell if you have no real retail presence or marketing. You project a faded brand image.

Posted via CB10
    I was at a FS yesterday and actually seen some BB10 on display, but none of them were live demos.

It's not as if the other phones are bad phones, and it's hard to blame someone for choosing a live demo of an S4, iPhone, HTC One, etc vs a "dead" replica with nothing more than a picture on on it.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 12:30 PM
    Here in the UK, one of the Carphone Warehouse stores has a BlackBerry display section with a Q10, Z10 and Z30... For the past 2 weeks none of them have had any battery, even though they are plugged in.
    05-17-14 12:53 PM
    I think this a shows exactly what the view of the consumer and market is when it comes to BlackBerry. No new high end BlackBerry devices in quite a while is taking its toll.

While I know many on here will argue the Z30 is new and a premium device, I don't think that the consumer and the market view it that way. While it is a good phone, the Z30 didn't really offer a whole lot that was new or groundbreaking. It was a sleigh newer Z10 with a bigger screen.

To me this shows the need for BlackBerry to release a new touch device with high end specs and lots of features.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-17-14 02:09 PM
    I think this a shows exactly what the view of the consumer and market is when it comes to BlackBerry. No new high end BlackBerry devices in quite a while is taking its toll.

Exactly! No new product is no one's fault but BlackBerry's. Mr Chen should have at least released a Z11 or something with better specs and a better camera than Z10.

Galaxy S5 is not that different than S4 but it's a new and better phone!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 03:10 PM
    Exactly! No new product is no one's fault but BlackBerry's. Mr Chen should have at least released a Z11 or something with better specs and a better camera than Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung took a great device with groundbreaking specs, the GS3, and have re-released it with some newer tech and features as the GS4 and then did it again a year later for the GS5.

As you said this shows the importance BlackBerry coming out with something new and exciting.

05-17-14 03:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    They need a way to sell it at a good asp. Just pumping out phones leads to massive losses.
    05-17-14 03:29 PM
    Just because BB later wrote down the inventory and dropped the price doesn't mean that they refunded manufacturers a portion of what they'd already paid for their existing unsold stock.
    This actually happens a lot. Call it what you want ... "Price protection", "Markdown Money" but there's often an exchange of $$$/credits to get the price down. Retailers pull the "either you lower the price, or we send it back and don't take any more in" card all the time.
    05-17-14 04:23 PM
    They need a way to sell it at a good asp. Just pumping out phones leads to massive losses.
    Agreed. ASP must be plunging right now with the Z10 at $200-300.

The way you charge more is to upgrade your specs. BlackBerry has released nothing since last year. I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry has released nothing since last year. I don't get it.
    Z3 ...?
    05-17-14 07:28 PM
    Z3 ...?
    Z3 is overseas and not coming to North America.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 07:54 PM
    Z3 is overseas and not coming to North America.

Posted via CB10
    because the world revolves around NA
    05-17-14 08:05 PM
    Nope, but mostly just the smartphone world.

Posted using an ME173X
    techvisor likes this.
    05-17-14 08:35 PM
    NA is the topic.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-17-14 09:24 PM
    This actually happens a lot. Call it what you want ... "Price protection", "Markdown Money" but there's often an exchange of $$$/credits to get the price down. Retailers pull the "either you lower the price, or we send it back and don't take any more in" card all the time.
    Isn't that what happened with PlayBook? The retail price was slashed on both BlackBerry's website and through their retail channels simultaneously.

Retailers would not have suffered widespread losses on the product just to clear stock.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 05-17-14 at 10:35 PM.
    05-17-14 10:23 PM
    BlackBerry really needs new handsets and some marketing effort or their 15% market share will continue to dwindle. Hate seeing the lack of effort. Hate seeing no new handsets. Hate seeing my BlackBerry friends continue to migrate away from the platform.
    The disturbing thing is BlackBerry is not doing anything to reverse that trend. John Chen has made it clear BlackBerry will only shoot where the ducks are flying. Sell to the markets & audiences where demand exists.

It seems like if a carrier doesn't move product, they'll be cut out of the loop in due time. It's happening in a slow, deliberate manner.
    05-17-14 10:31 PM
    Z3 ...?
    Is the Z3 in North America?

More importantly the Z3 is a low end phone. It isn't going to create any positive buzz for BlackBerry. What they need is a high end device.

05-18-14 12:47 AM
    By the end of June, Virgin Mobile (Canada) will not have any Blackberries to sell. Currently we have white and black 9320 Curves and red and black Q5s but at the end of the month they'll be EOL (end of life). Blackberry just doesn't have anything in the lineup to replace them.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 04:37 AM
    By the end of June, Virgin Mobile (Canada) will not have any Blackberries to sell. Currently we have white and black 9320 Curves and red and black Q5s but at the end of the month they'll be EOL (end of life). Blackberry just doesn't have anything in the lineup to replace them.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has lost direction in my view. Trying to return to 2007 with more keyboards isn't going to work.

They need two devices in North America. A high end touch device and a high end keyboard. Enough with the 16 models of keyboard phones.

05-18-14 05:39 AM
    They also need the Z3. Not everyone goes out to buy the the the top most expensive phone on the market. In fact most people are looking for a good phone at a reasonable price. Yes you do want to have a great phone with all the highest specks so you can go on TV or the radio and shout out to the world how great you are,and there will be a few that will buy that phone but let's face it the vast majority will not. They will end up buying a good phone at a reasonable price. Apple and Samsung spend a lot of money advertising their flag ship devices but I'm sure that they end up sending whole lot more of their older less expensive models.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 12:15 PM
    BlackBerry has lost direction in my view. Trying to return to 2007 with more keyboards isn't going to work.

They need two devices in North America. A high end touch device and a high end keyboard. Enough with the 16 models of keyboard phones.
    By the time BlackBerry releases a high end touch for North America, much of their carrier support will be gone.

Look at Sony. They released two very nice high end touches in the Z1 and Z2. However their carrier support in NA is low and their advertising scarce. Is it really prudent for BlackBerry to spend millions on a high end touch only to be in the same situation?
    05-18-14 12:16 PM
    A modified Z3 with better specs, LTE and a $250 -300 price tag would sell well IMO. Seems like the easiest thing for BlackBerry to do quickly.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 03:35 PM
    NA is the topic.

Posted via CB10
    must be nice living in a cave
    05-18-14 05:07 PM
62 123