05-22-14 11:27 PM
62 123
tools
    In the last week I have really noticed that BlackBerry handsets are getting harder to find in Canada and that can not be good news for retail sales. Here is what I saw:

1. Target - not one BlackBerry available
    2. Walmart - BlackBerry display cleared and a Samsung S5 mounted on the BlackBerry display
    3. Costco - one Q10 in display
    4. Fido Mobile - one Q5 on display
    6. Koodo Mobile - no BlackBerry on display
    7. Superstore - One Q10 on display
    8. Best Buy - one Q10 and one Z10 in a sea of Android and Apple.

The big three telcos all had Q10 and Z10 but they all have a larger corporate base.

BlackBerry really needs new handsets and some marketing effort or their 15% market share will continue to dwindle. Hate seeing the lack of effort. Hate seeing no new handsets. Hate seeing my BlackBerry friends continue to migrate away from the platform.

My Friday rant..

Posted via CB10
    hindsketchup238 likes this.
    05-16-14 09:43 AM
    there are so many comments like this, but I would think the opposite.
    Blackberry is not sending inventory ANYMORE to all those shops.

It's not like all of the sudden, more than a year after launch, people rushed to buy blackberry handsets...

be realistic!
    05-16-14 09:47 AM
    I notice you hadn't listed any Z30's. I'll assume there were none. (Sadly)
    05-16-14 09:52 AM
    It would be better to boost marketing when 10.3.1 will be released. If BlackBerry will do it right now in 10.2.1, it will kinda Flap.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    05-16-14 10:14 AM
    that's sad because the Z30 is actually able to compete with the 2013/2014 android phones. Although I'm not surprised the Z30 launch was basically a secret, terrible launch.
    05-16-14 11:17 AM
    It would be better to boost marketing when 10.3.1 will be released. If BlackBerry will do it right now in 10.2.1, it will kinda Flap.

Posted via CB10
    sadly this is what we thought with the 10.2.1 launch. 10.3.1 will come out around the same time as androids next update (5.0 key lime which is the most anticipated OS or 4.5) and iOS8 with maybe a 5" phone which is a big change for apple even though the OS won't be upgrades a lot but it will be insane marketing like the Air Drop feature...

But I'm really excited for 10.3.1 :P
    05-16-14 11:22 AM
    there are so many comments like this, but I would think the opposite.
    Blackberry is not sending inventory ANYMORE to all those shops.

It's not like all of the sudden, more than a year after launch, people rushed to buy blackberry handsets...

be realistic!
    This. The entire BB10 lineup not only received a mild reception but are all ancient in tech terms. This is nothing against Blackberry; but, merchants would start removing non-flagship, mid-end Androids from shelves at this time frame.

If Blackberry wants a continued presence in the North American market, it will have to launch a new product. No matter how pro-Blackberry a merchant may be, Blackberry needs to have product to sell for merchants to sell it.

(In a way, this is kind of "Game Over" for Blackberry in North America and the developed world. Blackberry didn't go out with a bang like a dramatic bankruptcy or buyout. Carriers didn't collectively refuse to carry Blackberries. Blackberry is still alive but it merely stopped making new handsets for these markets.)
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    05-16-14 11:33 AM
    Blackberry phone are not being push like they need to be. Support from the stores are gone, they believe that Blackberry won't be around for too long, so they're not worried about supporting Blackberries. Then when you have sales people (Verizon) just promoting the BB phone as just business phone, how they expect to sell them. Not everyone who own BB phones are just business professional doing business. When a person ask about the Z10 Phone, he said its only a business phone and if they were only worried about e-mails then he recommended the phone.
    05-16-14 11:44 AM
    Stores don't stock them because they don't sell enough, there's no other truth than that. If people were demanding Blackberries those stores would be selling them. Apple is where it's at because of what they do before the phones are ever delivered to the carriers or stores; marketing, advertising, design, and ecosystem.
    NYC10065 and techvisor like this.
    05-16-14 11:46 AM
    What they need is for the carriers to be selling the z10 cheap I checked a few weeks ago and it was still 600 bucks and 300 on BlackBerry shop... so... ya

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-16-14 11:56 AM
    I found this to be a carrier issue as well, I tried to get a Z30 through FutureShop and if I recall only Rogers had it as an option even though Bell and Telus are available through FutureShop as well.

The challenge is I am all over the place for work and traditionally Rogers hasn't offer sufficient coverage for my needs.

Bell and Telus had the coverage but not the phone. I was able to get a Z30 direct from BB, but the average person is going to follow the path of least resistance.

I had to put forth a lot of effort to get the Z30 and I wanted it, no other phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 12:07 PM
    Right now is when retailers are pushing their iPhone 5s's at a discount before a new model is announced, possibly in June but definitely by the end of the Summer. That's really Blackberry's competition, not the new ones coming out this Fall.
    05-16-14 12:16 PM
    What they need is for the carriers to be selling the z10 cheap I checked a few weeks ago and it was still 600 bucks and 300 on BlackBerry shop... so... ya

That's strange, you can get a Z10 for $210 equivalent SIM free in Nigeria, while a 9900 is going for $338 (weird) Search results for: 'blackberry' | Konga Nigeria
    05-16-14 12:42 PM
    Personally I think aliens have taken them all. Only and advanced race would understand the appeal of a BlackBerry!LOL
    Allwyn John and NYC10065 like this.
    05-16-14 01:19 PM
    Pricing is definitely an issue. Z30 is still priced at at least $500 off contract at any retailer. Very, very few will buy in at that price point. So most retailers will not stock it. And if it is not stocked and displayed - - - it does not sell! Now apparently for BB this is not an issue any longer as they are not holding or responsible for a large stock of BB10 devices. Retailers are not asking for new stock and BB is not producing any. Obviously, this will not generate revenue, but they're not losing money either, other than operating costs.
    Doggerz likes this.
    05-16-14 01:41 PM

This.

My Costco here will give you $99 to go on contract with a Z10.
    Blackberry cannot build market share by making people pay $200-$250 on contract.
    05-16-14 01:54 PM
    The problem is: if those carriers bought a bunch of phones at launch at full price, they're not going to want to cut the price and take a loss if they think they'll eventually sell out their stock at full price.

Just because BB later wrote down the inventory and dropped the price doesn't mean that they refunded manufacturers a portion of what they'd already paid for their existing unsold stock.
    05-16-14 02:23 PM
    This.

My Costco here will give you $99 to go on contract with a Z10.
    Blackberry cannot build market share by making people pay $200-$250 on contract.
    That is a pretty good deal!

Didn't know that Costco even carried BlackBerry devices. We only have SAM's Clubs here and they like Walmart and most other Big Box Retailers in our area don't carry them at all.
    05-16-14 02:32 PM
    Only at the Telus store.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 05:46 PM
    Pricing is definitely an issue. Z30 is still priced at at least $500 off contract at any retailer. Very, very few will buy in at that price point. So most retailers will not stock it. And if it is not stocked and displayed - - - it does not sell! Now apparently for BB this is not an issue any longer as they are not holding or responsible for a large stock of BB10 devices. Retailers are not asking for new stock and BB is not producing any. Obviously, this will not generate revenue, but they're not losing money either, other than operating costs.
    Z30 specs warrant a $300-350 price tag at best.

Lack of any new handsets since last year is a major problem. Z10 is well over a year old now.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 05:49 PM
    Stores don't stock them because they don't sell enough, there's no other truth than that
    Actually there is, though this is a very valid point.

The other part of the truth is that the retail channel is extremely expensive to do business in. To sell your product in retail requires the manufacture to spend a fortune on inventory; on in-store promotions (flyers, placements, signage, stores in stores), sales training and incentives (spiffs, training) and even still, if it doesn't sell, it comes back.

Companies can and do sometimes abandon retail for other channels that are less risky from a finance perspective. For example, it can be cheaper to sell through corporate call centers or online (ie amazon) than to fill stores with inventory. Or you make choose some retailers over others, or restrict what's sold in retailers.

John Chen talked about deliberately streamlining sales channels on the last earning's call. Likely a lot of this reason was the cost of supporting the channels. The demand is also part of it, but think of it this way ... if you know there isn't going to be massive demand for your product, why spend a fortune in all channels just to get it out there? Part of the big Z10 inventory issue was likely for this exact reason ... they stocked up massively to get it available everywhere ... then it didn't move quick enough, wasn't being re-ordered or was at risk of being sent back.

It does suck if you are a consumer in that you have to look around for the device you want. On the other hand, the department of your local government doesn't walk into Walmart and buy 10,000 new handsets either.
    05-16-14 11:57 PM
    There are no quick fixes here.

When devices like the Q20 start getting deployed and people actually like them, positive word of mouth may build again.

I have no expectation of any quick turn around. Retailers will stock BlackBerry devices again when they are a sought after consumer item.

Until then, I think I'll spend my time in more productive pursuits... like getting stores to stock Spirograph. The absence of Spirograph from the homes of today's children is a real problem that needs to be solved.
    southlander likes this.
    05-17-14 07:46 AM
    i don't understand why Canadian do not support Blackberry.
    05-17-14 08:33 AM
    Marketing for North American consumer market = not good use of $. Can't guarantee fickle consumer market with perception of damaged brand and competitors with more marketing $. May take several generations until BlackBerry starts to see more shelf-space again but I'd say only when you see steady and comfortable profit margins.

Marketing for North American enterprise market = good use of $. We are already seeing it in their ads and press releases to recapture and strengthen that market. BlackBerry could focus money on shelf space for carrier business dedicated storefronts. Promote use of BES end-to-end solution with Balance. I'm seeing people with BB10 Balance enabled devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 10:15 AM
    Here is a example of the problem BlackBerry faces.

Our assistant had a BlackBerry Bold. Her friends all have iPhones or Android phones. She went to the store to upgrade and the only BlackBerry they had was a Q10 with no display. She went iPhone in spite of loving her qwerty because "every one has an iphone now anyway".

It's tough to sell if you have no real retail presence or marketing. You project a faded brand image.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 10:18 AM
62 123