06-23-14 08:09 AM
29 12
tools
    BlackBerry Global Alliances and Ecosystems VP Marty Mallick Leaves The Company | N4BB

"We can confirm that Marty Mallick has made the decision to leave BlackBerry as the company realigns the Global Alliances and Ecosystem group to focus more on enterprise application development..."
    06-20-14 11:12 AM
    No doubt. The ecosystem is now Amazon.
    06-20-14 11:22 AM
    So no more reaching out to developers I guess
    06-20-14 11:59 AM
    Pops champagne!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:26 PM
    Marty Mallick sucked at his job anyway.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan, bmorgan67 and lnichols like this.
    06-20-14 12:27 PM
    Posted via CB10
    This is the type of ignorant comment that I have seen far too often on the forums about various execs. I don't think Mallick did a great job given the results but I also don't know what strictures he operated under. It might have been pretty well an impossible endeavor.

Of more interest is that I think it should be clear to everyone now is that there are no plans for BB native consumer apps any time soon. Given the differences in enterprise phones we are seeing, particularly screen sizes, etc. I also wonder if the typical consumer lines will be supported in any way. It's a bit of mystery to me.
    06-20-14 12:45 PM
    This is the type of ignorant comment that I have seen far too often on the forums about various execs. I don't think Mallick did a great job given the results but I also don't know what strictures he operated under. It might have been pretty well an impossible endeavor.

Of more interest is that I think it should be clear to everyone now is that there are no plans for BB native consumer apps any time soon. Given the differences in enterprise phones we are seeing, particularly screen sizes, etc. I also wonder if the typical consumer lines will be supported in any way. It's a bit of mystery to me.
    Not to mention that bb is and has been a hard sell for awhile now.
    06-20-14 12:50 PM
    And the hits keep on coming.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-20-14 12:56 PM
    It's not like it was working.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    06-20-14 01:22 PM
    From the same article: We can confirm that Marty Mallick has made the decision to leave BlackBerry as the company realigns the Global Alliances and Ecosystem group to focus more on enterprise application development."

My take-away from that wording is that Mallick won't be the only leaver... and that "realigning the group" is PR-speak for redundancies.
    06-20-14 02:15 PM

Nah, he sucked at his job.

Posted via CB10
    bmorgan67 and habs_fan like this.
    06-20-14 02:25 PM
    The person unwilling to pay developers is who was not "understanding" what was required to do the job. Wast that Marty?

Microsoft understood what was required, now Amazon is doing the same... PAYING developers.

Sure BlackBerry reward all those "garage" developers that built pretty basic apps, RSS Feeds, Web Shortcuts and EBooks, along with a few very useful apps but they were never "make or break" apps.
    Clanked, eldricho, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    06-20-14 02:35 PM
    <insert executive name> deciding to leave company = company giving you the pink slip with some dignity.

John Chen has said that there were some executives that didn't see eye-to-eye. He needs to execute and change the culture inside BlackBerry too. If you not on board and/or not executing, then you are in the way.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 03:48 PM
    The person unwilling to pay developers is who was not "understanding" what was required to do the job. Wast that Marty?
    With all due respect, how do you know what he was and wasn't willing to pay? Likewise, how do you know how much money he was given to pay? And what deals he and his team were working on with that budget? And where they stalled and why?

The point here is that it's easy to make assumptions about the guy, but it doesn't mean it's as simple as you think it is.
    moonfalle likes this.
    06-20-14 06:36 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Marty was only an executive in Jan this year. The failure SHOULD be attributed to that other guy .. now head of QNX Cloud.
    06-20-14 07:28 PM
    Marty was only an executive in Jan this year. The failure SHOULD be attributed to that other guy .. now head of QNX Cloud.
    Nope. Marty was responsible for the big name apps. Alec Saunders was responsible for the general developer relations department. Marty's job was to fill the top 100 guys; Alec's was to do the app tonnage. When Alec was moved, Marty took over Alec's team as well.
    web99 and FSeverino like this.
    06-20-14 07:33 PM
    Alec is pretty easy at his roles

? Slicing using my ?
    06-20-14 10:19 PM
    Marty didn't get a single top app to bb10 he was brutal in my books.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:47 AM
    Maybe Marty wasn't given what was necessary to get them.
    06-21-14 09:26 AM
    They announce a lit of big name apps. Or implied they were coming (banner of apps at the launch) , and never delivered. It is clear now that with 10.3 they will make the Android player the official solution for the apps and the Amazon app store to get them on the device. So in over a year and a half, Marty didn't deliver.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-21-14 09:59 AM
    They announce a lit of big name apps. Or implied they were coming (banner of apps at the launch) , and never delivered. It is clear now that with 10.3 they will make the Android player the official solution for the apps and the Amazon app store to get them on the device. So in over a year and a half, Marty didn't deliver.

Would anyone had?
    06-21-14 10:01 AM
    Would anyone had?
    Probably not, but in business you have to deliver, and someone's head must roll when it doesn't. He was given plenty of time. They obviously wanted to keep Alec and moved him to another position and setup Mallick at that point as the fall man for the failure of BBW.

kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    06-21-14 11:49 AM
    Marty didn't get a single top app to bb10 he was brutal in my books.

Posted via CB10
    Not a single solitary one? So that webex app I've been using is something I imagined?

Love or hate the guy based upon what apps he did or didn't get into the store but don't make up things.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 04:56 PM
    Nope. Marty was responsible for the big name apps. Alec Saunders was responsible for the general developer relations department. Marty's job was to fill the top 100 guys; Alec's was to do the app tonnage. When Alec was moved, Marty took over Alec's team as well.
    So they both failed.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    06-22-14 09:17 PM
    So they both failed.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    I would say no. Alec got a lot of apps in the store at launch, but it was the lack of the big ones that had a big part in BB10 launch failure (along with beta OS and devices priced too high for what they were). The big apps are the most important for mass consumer sales.

r0v3rT3N likes this.
    06-22-14 09:26 PM
29 12