04-08-15 02:02 PM
71 123
tools
    The virtual SIM, numbers whatever is interesting. It may help sell BES but people will be using mostly iPhone and android with it. At least they would be using BES. I don't think it will help hardware sales.
    01-09-15 10:51 PM
    Can you name a single Android manufacturer who has lost billions of dollars on Android devices? No matter how bad some Android makers may be struggling, none have done as badly as BlackBerry has with BB10.
    If incumbent Android OEM's are struggling then what makes you think BB would fare better? At the end of the day, breaking even selling Android is worse than breaking even on BB10 IMO. At least with BB10 they are building their own ecosystem (albeit very slowly).

Yep, they wanted to do it, but failed. The result is the same. BB10 doesn't bring in as much service revenue as it could. I'm sure by now, BlackBerry is making more money off of iOS and Android devices than they do BB10 devices.
    We can speculate but no one knows for sure.

Have you seen BB10's market share recently? Like I said, almost no one on this planet is willing to buy a BB10 device over the other options. The number of folks out there who need any security advantage BlackBerry may have are far to few. BlackBerry has great security but where has that gotten their hardware business?

Chen wants to see 10 million devices sold in a year. That is a feat that is proving very difficult for BB10 to accomplish. Even though 10 million phones sold is nothing in today's smartphone market. The iPhone 6 sold that many in one weekend.

Chen is smart enough to realize that BlackBerry's best bet at profitability is in software and services and alot of his recent actions back up that opinion. Answer this for me, if BlackBerry 10 being successful was important to BlackBerry's future, than why is BlackBerry so focused on doing everything they can to secure iOS and Android devices? Why did BlackBerry work with Boeing to make secure Android devices? And why are they partnering with Samsung to bring end to end security to Android?

It is like they are taking one of BB10's biggest advantages and giving it to the competition. That's kind of a odd approach if they really did care about keeping BB10 devices around. Shouldn't they be trying to make BB10 more competitive instead of less?
    In order of bolded areas above:

Yes. Yes I have.

Forget security for a second. What BB10 phones has BB released in the last year that actually interest business/enterprise users? Other than a limited run of Passports, they have released zilch. You can't sell what you don't have. If Blackberry actually get's their sh!t together in HW and has a solid road map, then we could more accurately judge them. But right now we are basically looking at BB10 sales of only two volume devices (Z10 and Q10) that were sold with a half baked OS.

I agree, SW and services are the way to go. But it does not preclude them from continuing to develop BB10 and sell BB10 HW to highly security conscious government and enterprise customers.

As much as they want BB10 to succeed, potentially cannibalizing BES in the short term to try and sell more BB10 would have been a short sighted move so they had to open it up. If Mobile Iron, Good, etc, did not exist then maybe they could have utilized this strategy. But the EMM space has changed drastically as well, not just the devices business. WRT to securing Android via Boeing and Samsung; you ask why, I ask why not? Android is the world wide market leader. If BB can leverage their reputation of world class security to secure other OS's, then they should do it. It's money for them. Will it hurt BB10 sales? It won't help. But you have to go where the money is. In the mean time they can continue to develop BB10 and work slowly to rebuild some market share (5-10%). I actually think that by making money in other areas it buys them time in HW. Others think it means they will just exit completely. We'll agree to disagree. There are some folks out there, especially high ranking government officials that will IMO never use an iPhone or Android. Is this 10 million devices worth? No. Does it have it to be? Maybe not.

Being platform agnostic actually makes the company as a whole more competitive. If they really wanted out of the HW business then they wouldn't be spending time trying to build enterprise focused apps. I truly believe at this point in time they still believe they can make a go of it in HW, but are taking baby steps with American government and Enterprise as that first step.

Long term the odds are very much against them to stay in HW. I'm a fan, but also a realist. I just don't think they are ready to throw in the towel yet, but they are hedging their bets with their various moves.
    01-10-15 12:12 AM
    Gosh I sure hope not. It's taken years for them to get the Android apps to a decent level of performance and stability.

Last thing we need BlackBerry doing is chasing the ability to run iOS apps. Worst idea ever if in fact anyone even had it.

Not to mention that most any app you'd want that's on iOS is already an Android app you can run on B10.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    01-10-15 01:27 AM
    Gosh I sure hope not. It's taken years for them to get the Android apps to a decent level of performance and stability.

Last thing we need BlackBerry doing is chasing the ability to run iOS apps. Worst idea ever if in fact anyone even had it.

Not to mention that most any app you'd want that's on iOS is already an Android app you can run on B10.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Why is that the worst idea ever?

It can't help but even the "app gap" only good things can come of it and if people don't want to use it, THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-10-15 10:55 AM
    Why is that the worst idea ever?

It can't help but even the "app gap" only good things can come of it and if people don't want to use it, THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    1. It won't help any app gap any more than the Android player has. How many must have iOS only apps exist at this point anyway?

2. Not probable anyway since as folks have pointed out iOS is not open like Android. So it would require actively fighting Apple to keep it working.

3. Blackberry has limited engineering resources I am sure. There are better things they need to address. For one they could produce a better Facebook implementation if they have spare resources.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-10-15 11:02 PM
    As much as I would like to see apple licence out their apps to BlackBerry, I don't think it's possible. If apple gave BlackBerry the access to their apps, the potential would be there for apple is lose market share due to conversion from iphones to BlackBerry.

Like I said, I'd like to see that, it just doesn't feel logical in my mind. Apple is at the top, why would they risk it for a partnership?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 08:11 PM
    I was with a company of 6000 blackberry's... We switched to iphone. My company then slowly blocked any personal use of the Iphone. I have don't things the opposite way around. I went out and got a Q10 as my personal phone. It's been a year now, but ironically I end up using the blackberry for company use often. It just functions better for work. I would say offering a large corporate user a phone with the ability to separate company and personal use with two separate phone lines on the same phone would be very attractive - a win/win for both company and employee, as billing would, I imagine, be less for the employee than having to go out and get a separate plane with separate phone.
    02-22-15 10:40 AM
    If BB had support for sideloading iOS apps apple would be all over that and immediately have it taken down with a hefty settlement. It would be no different if apple supported sideloading BB10 apps. The only reason why BB can support android is because android is open which is mostly the reason behind it's success. There will be no official support for iOS you can be sure of that.

The device that will stop people carrying two phones is a a device with a sim that handles multiple numbers with separate billing options. Consumers don't walk into stores and ask for a dual number sim devices, they just don't care about that. this is something enterprise cares about and what they will buy to roll out to their employees. The employee will just have better options with carrying 1 device rather then getting two.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 10:16 PM
    I think some of the people here are trying to be intentionally dumb and miss leading. Mr Chen clearly said that the Gladiator was a software solution that would eliminate the need to carry two phones. I can't believe no one here on this thread was capable of comprehending his statement. Just more misdirection.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 11:42 PM
    I was with a company of 6000 blackberry's... We switched to iphone. My company then slowly blocked any personal use of the Iphone. I have don't things the opposite way around. I went out and got a Q10 as my personal phone. It's been a year now, but ironically I end up using the blackberry for company use often. It just functions better for work. I would say offering a large corporate user a phone with the ability to separate company and personal use with two separate phone lines on the same phone would be very attractive - a win/win for both company and employee, as billing would, I imagine, be less for the employee than having to go out and get a separate plane with separate phone.

It's nice to see IOS being subjected to the same draconian treatment as Blackberries has for years !

I to had a corporate locked down phone, a Bold 9900 and was surprised how much of the basic functionality was disabled. Most of what was turned off was the newer consumer convenience features (e.g.. mobile hotspot) that most of the competitive devices also had. I've often wondered if the poor perception of Blackberry as not having many common features was due to these self-imposed disabilities. Another company I know of even had their camera's turned off.

IOS.....welcome to the world of the big boy pants !
    04-05-15 08:46 AM
    I think some of the people here are trying to be intentionally dumb and miss leading. Mr Chen clearly said that the Gladiator was a software solution that would eliminate the need to carry two phones. I can't believe no one here on this thread was capable of comprehending his statement. Just more misdirection.

Posted via CB10
    Has to be the QNX Hypervisor then. It supports Android, and has to support BB10 also. I could also see it running two Android instances at once, one locked down to corporate, and the other for personal use. BlackBerry could do a BB10 and Android, Samsung an Android/Android. Hopefully they will partner with Samsung for the hardware to run it because I could see them needing the newer Exynos processor to have the HP to run it all.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:28 AM
    If BB had support for sideloading iOS apps apple would be all over that and immediately have it taken down with a hefty settlement. It would be no different if apple supported sideloading BB10 apps. The only reason why BB can support android is because android is open which is mostly the reason behind it's success. There will be no official support for iOS you can be sure of that.

The device that will stop people carrying two phones is a a device with a sim that handles multiple numbers with separate billing options. Consumers don't walk into stores and ask for a dual number sim devices, they just don't care about that. this is something enterprise cares about and what they will buy to roll out to their employees. The employee will just have better options with carrying 1 device rather then getting two.

Posted via CB10
    Please stop bumping a 3 month old thread.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-06-15 03:58 AM
    Has to be the QNX Hypervisor then. It supports Android, and has to support BB10 also. I could also see it running two Android instances at once, one locked down to corporate, and the other for personal use. BlackBerry could do a BB10 and Android, Samsung an Android/Android. Hopefully they will partner with Samsung for the hardware to run it because I could see them needing the newer Exynos processor to have the HP to run it all.

Posted via CB10
    That and the virtual sim for multiple numbers and partitioned billing

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 08:42 AM
    Hi friends!

First of all - this is my personal mind game and has nothing to with facts, leaks or anything like that!

Why am I posting this? - because I saw something very interesting few weeks ago.
    And what's on my mind is: Will we see iOS Apps on Blackberry in 2015?

How do I get to this thought? - Because of the "Q3 FY2015 earnings report" just a few weeks ago.

After the earnings call John Chen met with Bloomberg for an interview about Blackberry's future.
    There Chen said that Blackberry will come up with a secret project called "Blackberry Gladiator" by June 2015.

Chen pointed out that Blackberry knows that many people are carrying around two devices but "Gladiator" should change that.
    I think he meant an iPhone (for fun and privat things) and a Blackberry (for business needs).
    And so there will only be the need for one device in future.

First rumors were that the "Gladiator" will be a brand new high end device.
    But Lukas Atkins (from N4BB) made an update to this report and said that it might be a "software product" and he is not sure if it really has anything to do with hardware.

The only thing that came to my mind was: Will we see iOS apps on Blackberry 10 - like we got Android apps right now?

Please don't call me crazy and that is the only thing I could imagine why people really would dump their iPhones for Blackberrys in private use.

And yes I know there will be a Mulit-SIM thing - but I don't think that having 2 oder more numbers on one phone would bring someone to drop his iPhone.

What do you think??
    I don't think they would follow that. If they make the android performance on BlackBerry better than it will be good. Many android apps doesn't work or it simply lags in my device.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:17 AM
    Isn't this just talk of the hub going for android and iOS?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:55 AM
    Could this Gladiator be a software offering that lets BlackBerry deliver the entire BlackBerry experience (including the Hub and other services) to other devices like iOS, Android and Windows through BES 12 cloud? They might also go as far as giving connectivity to the BES 12 cloud through your desktop and laptop. BES 12 will effectively become a conduit for delivering a slew of services securely...

If this is indeed what BlackBerry is planning to do then BlackBerry will very likely build keyboard devices only. Samsung and other Chinese smartphone manufacturers may very well include an always available connectivity to BES 12 cloud in all their future smartphones as an inbuilt feature - this might turn out to be very enticing for the enterprise market. It is also very much inline with BlackBerry's overall strategy.

Very likely just a crazy thought...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 01:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, qnx hypervison is very interesting indeed. I wonder if bb plans to try to simultaneously run android and bb at the same time on their devices. It seems like it would need a heavy lifting processor for that... but qnx would be the os to handle something like that.

If bb could get android and bb10 running simultaneously without noticeable deficits then that would be an impressive phone. No more android players but maybe a fully google play approved phone that runs bb10 at the same time. That would literally be two phones in one.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 11:10 AM
    Hmm, qnx hypervison is very interesting indeed. I wonder if bb plans to try to simultaneously run android and bb at the same time on their devices. It seems like it would need a heavy lifting processor for that... but qnx would be the os to handle something like that.

If bb could get android and bb10 running simultaneously without noticeable deficits then that would be an impressive phone. No more android players but maybe a fully google play approved phone that runs bb10 at the same time. That would literally be two phones in one.

Posted via CB10
    For a company that releases nothing but pathetic outdated HW (excluding the Passport), this would be a huge 180 degree turn for BlackBerry.
    04-07-15 03:32 PM
    I believe "Gladiator " would be software on other devices. Some sort of protection/security.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 04:54 PM
    If iOS apps became available on blackberry (in addition to android app compatibility) plus BB10 os, there would be absolutely no reason to not have a Blackberry over any other device!

although I know this would never happen haha

Also, google play services need to be integrated... its causing problems with some app compatibility
    04-08-15 03:30 AM
    It really puzzles me that so many people think the answer to BlackBerry's problems is to run multiple OSs on one device.

Why not just make the Android runtime work the way it should?

Posted via CB10
    raxamillion likes this.
    04-08-15 02:02 PM
71 123