04-08-15 02:02 PM
71 123
tools
    I don't think it's a dual sim because he was referring to people carrying other devices because BlackBerry had no apps. So it has to either be a phone that would make people not care about apps or apps themselves

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    12-29-14 10:11 PM
    I agree that the reference is to Movirtu's dual SIM or virtual SIM technology, the power of which should not be underestimated. I suspect it will be a must have money saver for large organizations. The conventional practice has been for the company to supply the device, pay for the line and try to keep inevitable personal usage within limits. In mine, personal use beyond a certain limit is recovered on an honour system basis. Movirtu would seem to reverse the paradigm by having the employee supply the device and the company pay for business use. One would think that the resulting cost savings would be considerable. This will be available to all smart phone platforms, so it will not give BlackBerry handsets any marketing advantage. I would think it would be exclusive to BES and should keep BlackBerry's enterprise solutions very much in the forefront. There is a good CNET article on the acquisition by BlackBerry. I'd give you the link, but apparently as a Newbie I'm not allowed to at this time.
    12-29-14 10:52 PM
    I agree that the reference is to Movirtu's dual SIM or virtual SIM technology, the power of which should not be underestimated. I suspect it will be a must have money saver for large organizations. The conventional practice has been for the company to supply the device, pay for the line and try to keep inevitable personal usage within limits. In mine, personal use beyond a certain limit is recovered on an honour system basis. Movirtu would seem to reverse the paradigm by having the employee supply the device and the company pay for business use. One would think that the resulting cost savings would be considerable. This will be available to all smart phone platforms, so it will not give BlackBerry handsets any marketing advantage. I would think it would be exclusive to BES and should keep BlackBerry's enterprise solutions very much in the forefront. There is a good CNET article on the acquisition by BlackBerry. I'd give you the link, but apparently as a Newbie I'm not allowed to at this time.
    Dual SIM combined with Balance would be a very interesting mix...

But the world has changed, and instead of employees not having cell phones or smartphones because they personally can't afford them.... everyone today has one (or at least in the US it seems to be the majority - no matter the economic situation). So the question is how many companies really need to "secure" their company data? How many companies will be willing to let users have a personal side? How many users will trust that the company isn't monitoring their device usage?

This sounds cool and will have some uses. But practically, I think that in many cases "people" will still want a totally separate personal device, and the "companies" will still want a totally separate "corporate" device.

Now there are many markets where currently dual SIMS are very popular due to the fractured networks within those countries. Back when the Z3 was launch there were many Indonesians that mentioned having 3, 4, or more different devices based on the number of networks. One device that could have that many software controlled SIMS would be very advantages in those markets.
    sentimentGX4, web99 and neoberry99 like this.
    12-30-14 09:53 AM
    I would say it will be the full Android OS running on Blackberry device. BlackBerry hardware is built on security from the chip up. Others are not. I think we will see a Blackberry Built device with BB10 OS as the business side and the personal side as Android lollipop.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    12-30-14 11:18 AM
    Not insinuating anything really. Just odd how he managed to disappear when he was onto something really cool. I think there's more to the story there but I've long since pushed what I remember of it out of my brain an replaced it with more useless stuff lol. There was def. more, I just don't remember what.
    And now we have Apple CarPlay, which runs on QNX infotainment centers.

I am sure that it is possible to run iOS apps on BB10, but just like Google won't allow Google Play, Apple won't allow for it either.

As far as getting people off of their iOS devices. I think the key would be to make sure those popular apps are on BlackBerry, either through Android or Native. Of course, what most people find is, that they really don't need to use all of those apps when you have a good enough phone.
    12-30-14 11:44 AM
    I would say it will be the full Android OS running on Blackberry device. BlackBerry hardware is built on security from the chip up. Others are not. I think we will see a Blackberry Built device with BB10 OS as the business side and the personal side as Android lollipop.

Posted via CB10
    You beat me to it. This is also what I think/hope Chen is talking about. It certainly isn't going to be iOS apps on BB10. Lol the OP must be in dreamland.

But think about it, a lot of BlackBerry users, including myself are also Android users. If BlackBerry took their physical keyboard and matched it with the full Android OS, I'd be very happy.

Chen has always seemed open to the idea of making a Android device. He has had many opportunities to say "no, BlackBerry will not be making a Android device" when asked, yet he never does.
    12-30-14 03:26 PM
    You beat me to it. This is also what I think/hope Chen is talking about. It certainly isn't going to be iOS apps on BB10. Lol the OP must be in dreamland.

But think about it, a lot of BlackBerry users, including myself are also Android users. If BlackBerry took their physical keyboard and matched it with the full Android OS, I'd be very happy.

Chen has always seemed open to the idea of making a Android device. He has had many opportunities to say "no, BlackBerry will not be making a Android device" when asked, yet he never does.
    If he could skin the Android side to look and behave like BB10 with the HUB, etc, than I would take it as the next best thing. The best thing would be a sole BB10 device with all apps available natively (I know, I'm dreaming).
    01-03-15 03:39 PM
    The beauty of Blackberry and QNX is that anything that has been mentioned on this thread is possible. With the virtual sim and balance the cell phone users would be able to have two different numbers. A work number, completely secure and controlled by an enterprise customers through Bes 12, and consumer number, weather it be bb10, Android or iOS through vetualization. I'm pretty sure that Google will cooperate they just want to sell apps, and if apple doesn't cooperate they could find themselves left behind. Most of the apps from the istore are also available from Google play.

Posted via CB10
    IggieX likes this.
    01-03-15 10:45 PM
    The beauty of Blackberry and QNX is that anything that has been mentioned on this thread is possible. With the virtual sim and balance the cell phone users would be able to have two different numbers. A work number, completely secure and controlled by an enterprise customers through Bes 12, and a consumer number, weather it be bb10, Android or iOS through vetualization. I'm pretty sure that Google will cooperate they just want to sell apps, and if apple doesn't cooperate they could find themselves left behind. Most of the apps from the istore are also available from Google play.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:47 PM

Like the Ubuntu for Android concept ...?
    :-D

Still, BBRY is not part of the OHA, so no Google Play, unless they find some way around it, technical or more likely legal (a loophole - or even by negotiations?)...

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    01-05-15 12:54 AM
    The beauty of Blackberry and QNX is that anything that has been mentioned on this thread is possible. With the virtual sim and balance the cell phone users would be able to have two different numbers. A work number, completely secure and controlled by an enterprise customers through Bes 12, and consumer number, weather it be bb10, Android or iOS through vetualization. I'm pretty sure that Google will cooperate they just want to sell apps, and if apple doesn't cooperate they could find themselves left behind. Most of the apps from the istore are also available from Google play.

Posted via CB10
    now THAT sounds good
    01-05-15 02:05 AM
    What are you talking about?
    Chen always says that they have no plans on making an android device.
    At the Classic launch he was asked about Google Play and Google Play Services on BlackBerry 10 and he said that BlackBerry has no plans on doing so.

If they legally wanted to have Google Play installed BlackBerry would need to have I think 14 other android apps also come pre-installed on their OS and they don't want to do that.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-05-15 03:46 AM
    What are you talking about?
    Chen always says that they have no plans on making an android device.
    At the Classic launch he was asked about Google Play and Google Play Services on BlackBerry 10 and he said that BlackBerry has no plans on doing so.

If they legally wanted to have Google Play installed BlackBerry would need to have I think 14 other android apps also come pre-installed on their OS and they don't want to do that.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    I can't help but wonder what you're talking about. Why are you bringing Google Play into this when I'm talking about BlackBerry making devices that run the actual Android OS?

Try to stay on topic, we are talking about BlackBerry phones with the full Android OS, not Google Play on BlackBerry 10.

Can you provide a link to an interview where John Chen has flat out said BlackBerry won't be making Android devices? If you can, I'd love to see it.

For reference, this is what I'm talking about:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...omment-934796/

Also, during an interview at Code Conference 2014, John Chen said "I'm not emotionally tied to handsets, but I'm not giving it up yet." Then he again refused to comment on Android phones from BlackBerry.

The only time Chen has commented on it, he left it open. Here is a part of the interview with CrackBerry.

Kevin: Is BlackBerry 10 still the play, or could we see BlackBerry adopting something like Android going forward?

John: It’s way too early for me to make an informed statement on that. It would be very, very premature.

Whatever is the right thing for the business, you need to preserve the reason why BlackBerry is around. I think just jumping to an Android without a thought through of why BlackBerry needs to be around and what makes us relevant and all that, before I answer that question, jumping to anything is inappropriate. You’ll find that I’m a little bit more thoughtful from a marketing perspective then to just go somewhere. I’m not that kind of person. I’ve only been on the clock now for almost 24 hours -- I think that if I made those statements right now conclusively, somebody should pull me out and shoot me.
    CrackBerry Q&A with John Chen, BlackBerry's new CEO! | CrackBerry.com

Why didn't Chen just say no? He had yet another opportunity to say no, yet he didn't do it. That is my point that you seem to have failed to understand.

Do you have a link where John Chen has said "no, BlackBerry won't be making a Android device"? If so I'd love to see it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-06-15 10:37 AM
    I can't help but wonder what you're talking about. Why are you bringing Google Play into this when I'm talking about BlackBerry making devices that run the actual Android OS?

Try to stay on topic, we are talking about BlackBerry phones with the full Android OS, not Google Play on BlackBerry 10.

Can you provide a link to an interview where John Chen has flat out said BlackBerry won't be making Android devices? If you can, I'd love to see it.

Also, during an interview at Code Conference 2014, John Chen said "I'm not emotionally tied to handsets, but I'm not giving it up yet." Then he again refused to comment on Android phones from BlackBerry.

The only time Chen has commented on it, he left it open. Here is a part of the interview with CrackBerry.

Why didn't Chen just say no? He had yet another opportunity to say no, yet he didn't do it. That is my point that you seem to have failed to understand.

Do you have a link where John Chen has said "no, BlackBerry won't be making a Android device"? If so I'd love to see it.
    Didn't know you were talking about an actual android device, I don't see BlackBerry making actual android devices either.

Even if they are which I doubt, I'm pretty sure that would not have to do with the BlackBerry Gladiator sort of thing whatever it is.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-06-15 02:50 PM
    Making android devices makes less and less sense with all of these low cost entrants selling amazing and cheap devices. Couple this with the inability of the OEM's to differentiate via the UI, and what you basically have are a bunch of toasters. Some fancy, and others not so much. And we all know the toaster rule, right? Buy the cheapest one, and when it breaks throw it away and buy another.

Android will continue to do well in the market for the time being, but Samsung et al is another story.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 03:55 PM
    I think it is a interesting that that the Gladiator software will be released at about the same time as the Visa Victoria.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:43 PM

Because a full android OS without Google play is even more useless.... BlackBerry 10 is the better choice of you can't have Google play or Google apps with or without a full android OS.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    01-06-15 06:47 PM
    I expect to see a bunch of disappointed people when Gladiator is officially announced. Typical over hype here that will get spun into rumors that won't be fulfilled by the announcement and everyone will be like WTF! I have no idea what it is, but know many here will make it the next savior only to be disappointed when revealed.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-15 07:39 PM
    I expect to see a bunch of disappointed people when Gladiator is officially announced. Typical over hype here that will get spun into rumors that won't be fulfilled by the announcement and everyone will be like WTF! I have no idea what it is, but know many here will make it the next savior only to be disappointed when revealed.

Posted via CB10
    I'm expecting it to be some under spec'd and over priced keyboard hybrid phone. I hope I'm wrong about the under spec'd and over priced part. I'm OK with the hybrid keyboard if it gets them positive attention and is functional. Whatever it takes to make devices profitable and one day get us a flagship all touch is OK with me I suppose.
    01-06-15 07:49 PM
    Because a full android OS without Google play is even more useless.... BlackBerry 10 is the better choice of you can't have Google play or Google apps with or without a full android OS.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think they wouldn't do the things that are necessary to include google play on a full Android device?

All they'd really have to do is kill off a dead end platform that almost no one on this planet is willing to buy. That's something Chen will probably be doing soon anyway. Let's look at recent history. They don't offer BIS on BB10, BBM and BES are both crossplatform now and Samsung is on board to help them sell millions of BES subscriptions. What reason is there for BB10 to exist now?

Besides, do you realize how easy it is to put Google apps on a Android device that didn't ship with them?

For the record, I still think it is far more likely that BlackBerry will exit the hardware business altogether, but I'd much rather see them release Android devices than no devices at all. Either way, I have a feeling that that multi-billion dollar mistake won't be around much longer.
    01-06-15 09:05 PM
    What makes you think they wouldn't do the things that are necessary to include google play on a full Android device?

All they'd really have to do is kill off a dead end platform that almost no one on this planet is willing to buy. That's something Chen will probably be doing soon anyway. Let's look at recent history. They don't offer BIS on BB10, BBM and BES are both crossplatform now and Samsung is on board to help them sell millions of BES subscriptions. What reason is there for BB10 to exist now?

Besides, do you realize how easy it is to put Google apps on a Android device that didn't ship with them?

For the record, I still think it is far more likely that BlackBerry will exit the hardware business altogether, but I'd much rather see them release Android devices than no devices at all. Either way, I have a feeling that that multi-billion dollar mistake won't be around much longer.
    In order of bolded sections:

Why would they sell a full Android device when the strong Android OEM's are struggling to make money? You think BB10 has bad market share. Wait until you see all of the people that won't buy a BB based Android.

They wanted BIS on BB10 but there were technical challenges with making it happen. BIS was the reason why their value proposition was so strong in emerging markets. People there didn't use crappy curves for the keyboard and screen real estate (lol).

BB10 exists, because, believe it or not, some people actually do not want to use an iPhone or S5. Take Angela Merkel or other heads of state for instance. Also BlackBerry products may be platform agnostic, but that does not mean BB10 devices don't integrate a bit better with BB's other products. BB10 handsets help to complete the E2E solution for customers that are highly security conscious.
    01-06-15 10:04 PM
    The haters are out in force. Shorters must be getting worried with some good news coming from Chen tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    01-06-15 10:19 PM
    Why would they sell a full Android device when the strong Android OEM's are struggling to make money? You think BB10 has bad market share. Wait until you see all of the people that won't buy a BB based Android.
    Can you name a single Android manufacturer who has lost billions of dollars on Android devices? No matter how bad some Android makers may be struggling, none have done as badly as BlackBerry has with BB10.

They wanted BIS on BB10 but there were technical challenges with making it happen. BIS was the reason why their value proposition was so strong in emerging markets. People there didn't use crappy curves for the keyboard and screen real estate (lol).
    Yep, they wanted to do it, but failed. The result is the same. BB10 doesn't bring in as much service revenue as it could. I'm sure by now, BlackBerry is making more money off of iOS and Android devices than they do BB10 devices.

BB10 exists, because, believe it or not, some people actually do not want to use an iPhone or S5. Take Angela Merkel or other heads of state for instance. Also BlackBerry products may be platform agnostic, but that does not mean BB10 devices don't integrate a bit better with BB's other products. BB10 handsets help to complete the E2E solution for customers that are highly security conscious.
    Have you seen BB10's market share recently? Like I said, almost no one on this planet is willing to buy a BB10 device over the other options. The number of folks out there who need any security advantage BlackBerry may have are far to few. BlackBerry has great security but where has that gotten their hardware business?

Chen wants to see 10 million devices sold in a year. That is a feat that is proving very difficult for BB10 to accomplish. Even though 10 million phones sold is nothing in today's smartphone market. The iPhone 6 sold that many in one weekend.

Chen is smart enough to realize that BlackBerry's best bet at profitability is in software and services and alot of his recent actions back up that opinion. Answer this for me, if BlackBerry 10 being successful was important to BlackBerry's future, than why is BlackBerry so focused on doing everything they can to secure iOS and Android devices? Why did BlackBerry work with Boeing to make secure Android devices? And why are they partnering with Samsung to bring end to end security to Android?

It is like they are taking one of BB10's biggest advantages and giving it to the competition. That's kind of a odd approach if they really did care about keeping BB10 devices around. Shouldn't they be trying to make BB10 more competitive instead of less?
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-06-15 11:08 PM
    I beg to differ. I think BB would be very successful and people would buy it. The biggest complaint is native apps. This would be your answer to that...Android device with a BB10 feel and encryption. I mean....that's gold IMO.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-15 07:44 PM
    I beg to differ. I think BB would be very successful and people would buy it. The biggest complaint is native apps. This would be your answer to that...Android device with a BB10 feel and encryption. I mean....that's gold IMO.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If they could take android and skin it like BB10 and incorporate the hub, active frames, etc, then it may have a chance as it would be very different than other Android implementations. But I don't think this would be possible as it seems Google is cracking down on how much OEM's modify stock Android. And with incumbents like Samsung already entrenched, and others like Xiaomi possibly entering, then it will be tough sledding for them in the Android world too.
    01-09-15 10:41 PM
71 123