BlackBerry to Focus on Software and Services, Support BBOS 7 Until December 2015, and no Future Tablet Plans, says Managing Director - BlackBerry Focus on Software, Services, Support BBOS 7 Until Dec 2015

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 07:51 AM
    ...says Managing Director

Posted via CB10
    Who should be fired for spouting off plans without the CEO saying them first.
    01-02-14 08:01 AM
    And don't forget that end of life (EOL) and end of support (EOS) are two different things. They will continue to support OS7 for some time after the last device is sold. Also, EOL and EOS may vary from region to region. This is a fact and to use Cisco as an example, they may choose to end support for a product in let's say Asia Pacific but still support in the America's. Regards, they should be more aligned in their statements

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:47 AM
    Well, at least they have a direction !!

I'm not so sure BBerry will completely leave the tablet market as they will need a application platform if they want to expand their product offerings within the corporate market. However, I could see loading a version of BB10 on to an existing device from one of the many tablet makers springing up all over Asia/Pac.

Who knows, even Foxcom might be a supplier.
    deptech likes this.
    01-02-14 09:51 AM
    So... he mentions BB10, does that mean that bb10 isn't EOL? bc everyone is saying bb10 is done... but I love it

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 11:16 AM
    I loved My Playbook (Had 2 of them) but they just became dated and out of touch with the rest of the world. I bought a Nexus 7 and it works great. The one thing the Playbook did was show the world the need for a 7" tablet. I think it was apple that said no one needed a 7" tablet. I think at some point they may revisit the space but the market has become saturate with $99.00 tablets. BlackBerry sat idle and let the world pass them by again
    01-04-14 11:28 AM
    I loved My Playbook (Had 2 of them) but they just became dated and out of touch with the rest of the world. I bought a Nexus 7 and it works great. The one thing the Playbook did was show the world the need for a 7" tablet. I think it was apple that said no one needed a 7" tablet. I think at some point they may revisit the space but the market has become saturate with $99.00 tablets. BlackBerry sat idle and let the world pass them by again
    Are your sure? The original samsung Galaxy Tab 7 was released in October 2010. Jobs' commebts about 7 inch tabs were almost certainly targeted at Android, since many followed Samsung in churning out 7 inch tabs in 2011

Sent from Galaxy Mega 6.3 using Tapatalk
    01-04-14 12:21 PM
    PlayBook was dead the day they said it wasn't getting BB10. In that instant they destroyed more of what little credibility they had as a company, and pissed off a good number of customers that were willing to throw money at new products with the name BlackBerry on it. When you are losing customers left and right to the competition it makes no sense to stab ones that you still have in the back with a quick statement of no BB10, and look to the future, and then act like the product never existed. Also funny how they waited till the Z10 was launched in the US to announce this, and also lied about how well Bb10 devices were selling too. They should have handled that situation better. Give an updated browser and other improvements, or offer PlayBook owners significant discounts on BB10 devices to get them in people's hands and as a gesture of goodwill.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-04-14 12:34 PM
    Not having a tablet will make many prospective phone buyers look to a platform that does offer a tablet.

What successful phone platforms don't have an accompanying tablet?
    01-04-14 12:41 PM
    The PlayBook as we know it may be dead, but I believe there will be something new to replace it, just my personal opinion.

Posted using my beloved Z30
    01-04-14 04:57 PM
    Who should be fired for spouting off plans without the CEO saying them first.
    I agree, I believe this article is taken out of context, this is not the Global Director.

Posted using my beloved Z30
    01-04-14 05:00 PM
    Still use my Playbook for games and music but I moved on to a Nexus 7. Realized when things went bad that they would stop tablet projects, old news IMO.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 06:39 PM
    So... he mentions BB10, does that mean that bb10 isn't EOL? bc everyone is saying bb10 is done... but I love it

Posted via CB10
    I think it's been established in the past couple days that Blackberry intends to ride out BB10 to the end.
    01-04-14 06:57 PM
    The Playbook was D.O.A. on the day of it's release & frankly all the rick rolling....
    ...About Playbook getting BB10 only served to move BB deeper into the toilet.
    ..The best thing BB can do now is try to aid people in forgetting they made a tablet.
    01-05-14 08:15 AM
    Not having a tablet will make many prospective phone buyers look to a platform that does offer a tablet.

Agreed. This is now another reason to jump ship. Every other major platform has a great tablet offering.

If you want to stay in the same ecosystem, an android tablet would be a BB10 users best choice. I dont see that being a good long term solution though. Especially if they do make a tablet again, said users would now be heavily invested in Android.
    01-05-14 09:17 AM
    BBRY needs to license BBOS to Asus for their Padfone. As much as I like BBOS, I want a tablet that smoothly interfaces with my phone.

Will not go android, probably will move to Ubuntu next fall if BBRY does not have licensed a tablet. Prefer 7/8 inch format. Work and play.
    01-05-14 10:02 AM
    BBRY needs to license BBOS to Asus for their Padfone. As much as I like BBOS, I want a tablet that smoothly interfaces with my phone.

Will not go android, probably will move to Ubuntu next fall if BBRY does not have licensed a tablet. Prefer 7/8 inch format. Work and play.
    01-05-14 10:03 AM

Exactly

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 11:31 AM
    PlayBook has been dead for almost a year now...let it rest in peace.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:23 PM
    PlayBook has been dead for almost a year now...let it rest in peace.
    Sure, the one we know. The future needs a tablet, however.
    01-05-14 02:57 PM