11-11-13 10:43 AM
239 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I wonder whether he collected his US55 million exit package on the way out the door?
    No, just a paltry 22 million. Though the majority is based upon stock so if a deal with signed Friday then you'll need to take about 15% off of that. BlackBerry's Thorsten Heins Stands to Make Up To $22 Million Upon Exit - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD
    11-04-13 02:59 PM
    I think part of that billion is to buy Prem Watsa's way back onto the board.
    We don't need that blood sucking w-hore on the board of directors ever again. The entire board should be replaced with intelligent people instead of more financial vampires.
    xanadome likes this.
    11-04-13 03:05 PM
    What I am wondering, is that if the stock price drops even more, will someone else come in and make a ridiculously low bid.
    Definitely, a hostile takeover is now in play.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 03:15 PM
    If BlackBerry had taken on some debt a few years ago they could have grown instead of shrunk. Not sure why they didn't take advantage of cheap money before?!

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    11-04-13 03:16 PM
    This photo tells you everything that I think about Thor. For a guy who wants everyone to "Sell Like Hell", I can not think of a worse face to have out in the public, showing what is supposed to be "Exciting" advanced technology.

BlackBerry-Fairfax deal dies; Thorsten Heins out-thor.jpg

- Look at this photo... could he make those two phones look any more wussy and small?
    - How did he NOT see that the CMO was asleep on the job?
    - Some of the best devices on the market today have been launched and almost NO ONE (outside of Crackberry) knows about them
    - Who in their right mind thought that Neil Gaiman, a novelist, would convince people to buy cutting edge technology. (Who even really has ANY clue who Neil Gaiman is?? Really, go ask 10 friends. Now ask them if they care what Phone he has.)

They could NOT have launched these devices worse if they tried. All of the country delays, the OS roll-out delays... you can't blame only the carriers. If BB had done THEIR job, the carriers would have been more attuned to doing their part right. It all goes hand in hand. Apple and Samsung don't have those issues.

Maybe now I'll at least be able to get my AT&T Z30, once some guys who have the GUTS of a CEO put some pressure on.
    Seriously, I'm SO happy that he's out. (Did that come through, or was I being too subtle?? ha ha)
    milo53 and solitude1984 like this.
    11-04-13 03:22 PM
    I must have missed it - is Alicia Keys mentioned in any of the announcements today?
    11-04-13 03:39 PM
    Well, at least Thor is gone, It will be interesting to see how Blackberry goes with out Thor...

Well, for one thing, obviously better.
    11-04-13 03:47 PM
    I am not Canadian, but listen to Jazz FM 91 out of Toronto via Internet Radio.
    Man, it's all over the news in Canada, Eh?
    Between sets, it's all they talked about today.

Well, good news with the cash influx, anyway. Let's hope the company does well long term.
    11-04-13 03:49 PM
    I guess Thor doesn't get that parachute now.
    Nah, just around $22M instead. Poor guy.
    milo53 likes this.
    11-04-13 03:54 PM
    in my opinion Heinz should not have been there in the first place, they needed a fresh face with a different way of doing things, bringing someone in who was used to the way things were being done.Only to continue the same practice.
    11-04-13 04:06 PM
    You could market the heck out of the Z and it wouldn't make a massive difference since feature wise it's still way short of everything else available.
    Posted via CB10
    Hey I can play Candy Crush Saga on FaceBook using the BlackBerry OS 10 web browser.

In all seriousness though the BlackBerry Z10 is a very functional smartphone despite its pricing at release which was incredibly stupid. I can stream audio and video using built-in and third-party BlackBerry 10 applications. I can securely connect to remote servers and desktop computers using a couple BlackBerry 10 applications. I can read ebooks and portable document format documents. I can prepare LaTeX documents via a cloud service using the BlackBerry 10 web browser. I can analyse data via a cloud service using the BlackBerry 10 web browser. Plus a variety of other tasks which I don't have time to enumerate.
    11-04-13 04:11 PM
    This photo tells you everything that I think about Thor. For a guy who wants everyone to "Sell Like Hell", I can not think of a worse face to have out in the public, showing what is supposed to be "Exciting" advanced technology.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thor.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	217460
    All I can say is Thorsten Heins looks like Mr. Bean in that photograph. But Mr. Bean is actually charismatic and funny.
    solitude1984 and NathDogg like this.
    11-04-13 04:13 PM
    I'm not expecting much from the new CEO. At the end of the blackberry does not have the talent to compete with the big three. Hiring another CEO will not change that.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    oilgeo10 and richardat like this.
    11-04-13 04:26 PM
    This review of Thorsten Heins' legacy as CEO is scathing. Even though the journalist tried extremely hard to appear balanced by trying desperately to find something even remotely positive to say about Thorsten Heins, they aren't able to do so convincingly.

The legacy of Thorsten Heins: How he went wrong at BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail

I would agree that Thorsten Heins has been a disastrous CEO. The fact that he stands to make $16 -$22 million in severance and other payments is pretty bizarre but I don't fault him for that, I fault the board for that. Prem Watsa negotiated this oversized severance package for Mr Heins. BBRY shareholders should be outraged.

I think the cover of Canadian Business magazine is quite telling:

BlackBerry-Fairfax deal dies; Thorsten Heins out-canadian-business.jpg
    milo53 likes this.
    11-04-13 04:30 PM
    This is true, BB always bragged about "No debt" now, they must deal with costs they never had before. Meanwhile the Tech. World is passing them by. R&D was gutted months ago. I interpret this lack of offers as a sign, they have bigger issues then we know about. Peel back the onion, look closely at the Q2 numbers and especially TRENDS. They could bleed through this loan in one quarter. The market sure is not excited.

Pretty much. People are trying to spin these developments as positive ones are ignoring how dire the situation is turning. A situation the company itself recognizes or else it wouldn't have put itself up for sale to begin with.
    11-04-13 04:42 PM
    I'm not expecting much from the new CEO. At the end of the blackberry does not have the talent to compete with the big three. Hiring another CEO will not change that.

He will be bring new and talented people into BlackBerry, as he said.

Thats what they need.

It will take a few years to even start climbing back up in market share. PW has always said that.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    sleepngbear likes this.
    11-04-13 04:55 PM
    Lots of questions about Prem Watsa , this manipulation of BlackBerry should be questioned. Did he make an offer in good faith 6 weeks ago? Now he is still installing himself into the company, while removing it from being for sale. Desperate moves to salvage his investment.

Look for a short attempt to right the ship, before the parts sell off starts. Watsa is not even close to a Warren Buffet. BB stock should sink today along with Fairfax.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry 'buyout' was always a joke - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blogTerm Sheet
    richardat likes this.
    11-04-13 05:10 PM
    He will be bring new and talented people into BlackBerry, as he said.

Thats what they need.

It will take a few years to even start climbing back up in market share. PW has always said that.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    I think Chen has a better chance at success being an outsider than Thor or anyone else on the inside would have. But I also think going it alone is going to be more difficult and take more time than a sale to the right suitor would have. A large and high-profile buyer could have given the BB brand a bit of a boost; but as it is, to the buying public it's still going to be that BlackBerry that nobody is really seriously interested in.

On the plus side, a guy at work today saw my Z10 and out of the blue remarked that his wife wants to buy a Z30 from Verizon. That was before I saw today's news, so maybe there is hope.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-04-13 05:10 PM
    It gets worse and worse. Even Apple managed to get back up from a non steve jobs era while replacing one CEO with another. BlackBerry is dying...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    11-04-13 05:14 PM
    The question is will a viable company remain after they've fired almost half the work force and burnt through almost all their cash?

Its hard to see a way forward from this position.
    One thing T.H. was right about is when he said "BB10 is make or break for Blackberry" and it is indeed "break"
    richardat likes this.
    11-04-13 05:15 PM
    I'm happy with the news but wanna know a bit more about John Chen!!
    11-04-13 05:16 PM
    Anything is possible still. Especially with that influx of cash. Any new CEO is going to have his/her work cut out for them, that's for sure.

I would not rule out another suitor jumping in sometime in the next year or two. Wouldn't we all just "jaw-drop" if that were Microsoft.

If you would have told me a year ago that MS would buy Nokia and I'd have a Windows Phone and be using my Berry less and less, I'd have laughed at you. Yet, here I am, WP8 in hand.
    11-04-13 05:18 PM

I have to disagree more than I can agree with this ... unless you're talking about talent at the highest ranks. I think what BB lacks more than anything is the right leadership. The old co-CEO's simply had tunnel vision and could not perceive of a world where consumers would want anything more than what BB offered. Heins I believe was simply in over his head.

BB10 is a very good platform and can certainly be competitive. Just my opinion, but it took some talented people to put that together. It's the execution of its launch that failed miserably, and failure on that scale is a direct reflection of leadership's inability to get the whole organization on the same course.

I do have to agree, though, that Chen is in an almost impossible situation. Anything he can pull off that puts BBRY in a better position than it's in today will be an accomplishment in my book.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-04-13 05:20 PM
    Also, Katie...

1. Other evidence pulled on Chen seems he is equally good at turning companies around, assuming what you said is true (again, cites please otherwise it might as well be just your opinion). So I will set a good example. My cite for saying this is the quoted bio blurb/article someone posted above.

2. He is quoted today as assuring BlackBerry is not ready to abandon hardware business. He said that the ingredients are there for success and he's done it before essentially. So, if they were on a split in pieces track, why wouldn't he avoid taking about hardware now seeing as he'd soon kill it? No one wants the hardware business. The fact that he's assuring folks on it tells me he wants BlackBerry intact for now at least.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    Experts think otherwise Experts see BlackBerry's options as limited
    11-04-13 05:23 PM
    There must be more inventory to write off. They have not addressed the Q5, Q10 or Z30 inventory. Nor what is in the supply chain.

Is the $1B loan to cover remaining inventory?
    11-04-13 05:30 PM
239 ... 56789 ...