11-11-13 10:43 AM
239 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Lots of questions about Prem Watsa , this manipulation of BlackBerry should be questioned. Did he make an offer in good faith 6 weeks ago? Now he is still installing himself into the company, while removing it from being for sale. Desperate moves to salvage his investment.

Look for a short attempt to right the ship, before the parts sell off starts. Watsa is not even close to a Warren Buffet. BB stock should sink today along with Fairfax.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:17 AM
    Haven't had a chance to read and digest all of the posts, but a few things come to mind:

1. Heins stepping down means there's no "change of control" golden parachute in pay anymore.
    He does not get the "double trigger" payout but upon termination he still receives $22 million. See chart:

BlackBerry-Fairfax deal dies; Thorsten Heins out-bbry04.png

4. Since Fairfax couldn't obtain funding for the total purchase, I think that means they owe BlackBerry a few million for not completing
    the deal, right? That may have been rolled into the new deal though.
    I believe that Fairfax could walk away from the deal any time during the due diligence period with no penalty, so Fairfax loses nothing with this development.

The other two I can't answer.
    11-04-13 09:20 AM
    Please bear in your mind that when you intend to lay off thousands of workers, you need to pay them compensation. Therefore, extra cash flow may be needed in this case. And it will not hurt to have more cash in the company's bank account anyway.
    The question is will a viable company remain after they've fired almost half the work force and burnt through almost all their cash?

Its hard to see a way forward from this position.
    11-04-13 09:21 AM
    Three pages in, that hasn't happened and yet here you are doing what...?
    It already happened,

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:22 AM
    Chen developed and led Sybase?s re-invention strategy to evolve what had become a mature slower growth technology company into a $1B+ high-growth innovator. First, Mr. Chen returned Sybase to profitability and improved its balance sheet. He then defined and implemented Sybase?s ?Unwired Enterprise? strategy to reposition the company, leveraging its database knowledge to create new offerings that addressed the emerging markets for analytics and mobility.[1]

Under Chen?s leadership, Sybase achieved strong financial performance and shareholder returns, including 55 consecutive quarters of profitability, $2.8 billion of cash generated, and a 28 percent compound annual growth rate of its market capitalization from a low of $362 million to $5.8 billion in 2010, when it was acquired by SAP AG.[4]

I Like This.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:23 AM
    Y E A H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that I will buy a Z30 now!
    11-04-13 09:23 AM
    If he's smart he'll make the money last, but if other companies are smart, no one will ever hire him again, not even to do Arnold schwarzenegger impressions at parties.
    This made me smile. He probably does a killer Ah-nald impression.
    11-04-13 09:25 AM
    It already happened,
    Not to any extent that warrants attention. Ignore it, continue with an intelligent discussion and they will find a new playpen.
    11-04-13 09:25 AM
    Well I certainly hope they have a really good plan C...or is it plan D now? I'm pretty sure that reporting this quarter's financials publicly was something they had hoped to avoid. I wonder why they completely ended the exploration of selling the company. Did they really scare off that many potential buyers? Lots of questions, not sure when we'll get the answers though.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    11-04-13 09:32 AM
    This is definitely not what I thought was going to happen.
    11-04-13 09:34 AM
    I have to wonder how the FF share holders feel. They've now thrown another $250M at a possible sinking ship?
    11-04-13 09:35 AM
    This is exactly what they needed . An Electrical Engineer, with no idea about user interface or user experience, that sat on the board during the collapse, to step up and "run" the company. Chen is a "politician". That isn't what BB need, unfortunately any "outside" CEO worth their salt won't consider trying to "fix" BB.

Chen could make some headway in services for BB in the US, he's popular with the government at least.

12 months max before the firesale...
    Last edited by xandermac; 11-04-13 at 09:55 AM.
    oilgeo10 likes this.
    11-04-13 09:36 AM
    Not much news.

Herr Sour Ketchup was given the boot as expected and now Watsa (Whatsup ?) gets to play more shenanigans. This is all Titanic deckchair shuffling when one considers just how dire BlackBerry's balance sheet looks. Persistent negative earnings are not a pretty sight for a company with a dwindling market capitalization.
    11-04-13 09:37 AM
    From everything I've read, CEOs usually have very little impact on a company.

I'm not sure if a CEO is going to turn this ship around.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:42 AM
    Hot diggidy dog....now all BlackBerry needs is a CEO that is fully interested in making things happen.

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    11-04-13 09:44 AM
    I'm happy with this, frankly.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    Me too... I wasn't happy with the Fairfax-go-private-9-dollars deal.
    11-04-13 09:59 AM
    I don't want to hang TH. But he hasn't performed as well as he was alleged he was going to.
    Hang that sack of fecal matter, Frank Boulben....Worst thing to happen to BlackBerry since the Storm....

TH was the COO Operations Officer, he didn't know wtf he was doing
    11-04-13 09:59 AM
    11-04-13 10:00 AM
    BS bro!
    all layoff will cost less than 500 million USD. but hey, they are sitting on 2.5 b pile of cash...
    you make it sounds like $2.5B is a lot but for a company of that size it is not much..if it were, they would not need financing
    11-04-13 10:01 AM
    Well I certainly hope they have a really good plan C...or is it plan D now? I'm pretty sure that reporting this quarter's financials publicly was something they had hoped to avoid. I wonder why they completely ended the exploration of selling the company. Did they really scare off that many potential buyers? Lots of questions, not sure when we'll get the answers though.
    Exploring the sale of the company was only one of the options they were looking at. However it was also the only one that grabbed headlines so any other options, such as strategic partnerships, never even got mentioned by the press.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 10:02 AM
    This is still a temporary solution. Adding that one billion dollars is not going to change that much unless revenue is increase. Time is still a critical issue for the company. It's still a publicly trading company, right now Wall street and Bay street have zero confidence on BlackBerry. Something got to happen immediately to change that perception or another attempt by another group or companies to either take BB into privatization or break it apart and sell it off. In other words, the situation didn't really change that much.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    Heins did do some mistakes but I liked the guy. Its a shame
    I'm glad TH is gone.

John Chen is not Canadian, as a result some interesting things could happen.
    11-04-13 10:07 AM
    From everything I've read, CEOs usually have very little impact on a company.

I'm not sure if a CEO is going to turn this ship around.

Posted via CB10
    They are looking to replace the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg..I do not think anyone could save it at this point because the customers have already left the boat and new ones keep a distance from it. Bottom line is that sales are non-existent and the BB10 is a complete flop and no one can change that.
    Shlooky, m1a1mg, xandermac and 4 others like this.
    11-04-13 10:09 AM
    They are looking to replace the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg..I do not think anyone could save it at this point because the customers have already left the boat and new ones keep a distance from it. Bottom line is that sales are non-existent and the BB10 is a complete flop and no one can change that.
    I don't agree with your take on the situation. The Z 10 is a great device that was to late to market and not marketed effectively. The company still has a good base of customers and some cash. The cash is surely going fast. Blackberry can and will survive. As far as Heins is concerned, well I won't go there.
    howards likes this.
    11-04-13 10:19 AM
239 ... 23456 ...