06-18-14 09:54 PM
132 ... 456
tools
    They eat their own....
    04-13-14 10:25 PM
    That's really a stretch. Unless it includes legacy, corporate and PlayBook users.
    It would include legacy. People confusing market share (which this isn't) and usaer base again. I gave up trying to explain this so long ago.

Bb has always been relatively strong in Canada - we are often just behind the curve in the trends the us follows.

When you realize just how much user base bb lost, you realize how sales are also tiny in Canada - such that erosion of the remaining user base is precipitous. There may only be a few million bb users left in Canada, and they may have lost a million or so. Its extremely bleak. Just as with the us we see the rapid drop off. It will continue to drop markedly for a bit.... Then perhaps taper off as only the last diehards remain. They might already be at that point in the us, I suspect there are very few of these kind of fans though. I think the last hold outs are largely stuck on corporate plans in the us, and that is how it will soon be in Canada as well.
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    04-14-14 01:58 PM
    i guess im a diehard cuz ill own a bb forever as long as there producing button devices. i hate touchscreen and hope bb stays around for awhile. the good thing is they are focused on enterprise atm handsets are like a side business lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    06-17-14 02:12 PM
    In this forum, profit and marketshare are only relevant as to prospects of BB making a resurgence. In terms of Android it doesn't matter if Samsung goes down a few percent and HTC/LG/Moto go up a few percent as long as Android keeps gaining because those handsets come from people who upgrade from feature phones or from subscribers to other ecosystems BB/Apple/Windows.

You know this but are being obtuse for some reason.
    What you (and all the usual suspects that liked your post) fail to realize is that THERE IS NO MONEY IN ANDROID!

Eventually companies like Samsung and HTC will get fed up with making money only on hardware and will want a piece of the ecosystem pie. Spreading market share for crappy Google really does them no good. So two things will either happen:

1. (This is what I think is most likely) Apps go the way of the dodo bird and dinosaur just like thick clients apps did on desktop PC's, and are replaced with browser based apps (just like on desktop PC's). Carrier data plans will become more generous and cost effective (just like they have on home internet bundles) thus making the extra data used for browser based apps irrelevant. Companies and developers around the world will rejoice as their 'app' would be platform agnostic (what nice thought) and they would have only one code base to maintain (another nice thought)! For many of the apps I use (newspapers as an example) I like the browser based sites far better than the crappy apps. The only sticking point is the data used. Games will still require thick clients, but this won't be an issue once apps ho full HTML.

People will deny that the above is possible, blah, blah, blah. But you need to look to the past to see the future. This happened in the desktop space and it will all unfold again in the mobile space. Now we actually have competition and are not stuck with Windows only. And the winner of the race will be the one that truly innovates at the OS level and doesn't just rely on their maps or 'services'.

2. Third party companies band together to create a third joint ecosystem either off of a forked android or completely android free in an effort to get away from Googles clutches.

I said it before and I will say it again. All the Google fans think Google is brilliant, but this strategy they are employing is actually going to be the cause of their ultimate demise.
    06-17-14 07:12 PM
    Nope. They're all building from Google source. They have different launchers and frameworks but it's all the same android. Sorry.
    Yes, and ultimately that is a problem. How can these companies substantially differentiate from one another, grab market share, and make money? Answer: They can't. The only real way to make serious coin in this game is to offer an end to end solution. Google is writing their own epitaph. Samsung, HTC, etc will not stick around for the long haul.
    06-17-14 07:24 PM
    i guess im a diehard cuz ill own a bb forever as long as there producing button devices. i hate touchscreen and hope bb stays around for awhile. the good thing is they are focused on enterprise atm handsets are like a side business lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Yeah BlackBerry is focusing on the enterprise with legacy smartphones running BlackBerry OS 7. Way to go Johnny Boy!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-18-14 03:39 AM
    I guess Canada loves american products more than their own!

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-18-14 09:54 PM
132 ... 456